Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Sub for lard?

This is the recipe I was given:

Corn-Flour Bannock
(Fried or Baked)
a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
c.. 1/2 tsp salt
d.. 3 tbsp lard
e.. 2/3 cup water
Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or baking
sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. With a
pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard. Then gradually stir in
the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Turn
dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out or
pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying pan
on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a baking
sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut
and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.

- Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine

Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real objection to
it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt I would
ever use it for something else.

Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove <Julie Bove >> wrote:

> This is the recipe I was given:
>
> Corn-Flour Bannock
> (Fried or Baked)
> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
> d.. 3 tbsp lard
> e.. 2/3 cup water
> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or baking
> sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. With a
> pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard. Then gradually stir in
> the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Turn
> dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out or
> pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying pan
> on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a baking
> sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut
> and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
>
> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>
> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real objection to
> it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt I would
> ever use it for something else.

Vegetable shortening would work as far as the baking goes, but taste
would be slightly different.

There is no other sub other than that.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove <Julie Bove >> wrote:
>
>> This is the recipe I was given:
>>
>> Corn-Flour Bannock
>> (Fried or Baked)
>> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
>> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
>> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
>> d.. 3 tbsp lard
>> e.. 2/3 cup water
>> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or baking
>> sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. With a
>> pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard. Then gradually stir
>> in
>> the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Turn
>> dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out
>> or
>> pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying
>> pan
>> on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a
>> baking
>> sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut
>> and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
>>
>> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>>
>> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real objection
>> it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt I
>> would
>> ever use it for something else.

> Vegetable shortening would work as far as the baking goes, but taste
> would be slightly different.
>
> There is no other sub other than that.

Thanks. I thought it might but wasn't sure. Since I don't know what these
taste like with lard, I guess I won't notice the difference!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> This is the recipe I was given:
>
> Corn-Flour Bannock
> (Fried or Baked)
> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
> d.. 3 tbsp lard
> e.. 2/3 cup water
> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or
> baking sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and
> salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard.
> Then gradually stir in the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft,
> slightly sticky dough. Turn dough on a lightly floured surface and
> knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out or pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten
> dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying pan on hat ashes over an open
> fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a baking sheet in oven for
> approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut and serve
> with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>
> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real
> objection to it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy
> and I doubt I would ever use it for something else.
>
> Thanks!

Are you making Damper? Or does Damper not have any lard in it?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This is the recipe I was given:
>
> Corn-Flour Bannock
> (Fried or Baked)
> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
> d.. 3 tbsp lard
> e.. 2/3 cup water
> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or baking
> sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. With a
> pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard. Then gradually stir
> in the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Turn
> dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out
> or pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying
> pan on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a
> baking sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden
> brown. Cut and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
>
> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>
> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real objection
> to it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt I
> would ever use it for something else.
>
> Thanks!

Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a bit
of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate higher
heat.

Kent

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove <Julie Bove >> wrote:
>>
>>> This is the recipe I was given:
>>>
>>> Corn-Flour Bannock
>>> (Fried or Baked)
>>> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
>>> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
>>> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
>>> d.. 3 tbsp lard
>>> e.. 2/3 cup water
>>> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or
>>> baking sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and
>>> salt. With a pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard.
>>> Then gradually stir in
>>> the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough.
>>> Turn dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times.
>>> Roll out or
>>> pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in
>>> frying pan
>>> on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on
>>> a baking
>>> sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden
>>> brown. Cut and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
>>>
>>> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>>>
>>> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real
>>> objection to
>>> it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt
>>> I would
>>> ever use it for something else.

>> Vegetable shortening would work as far as the baking goes, but taste
>> would be slightly different.
>>
>> There is no other sub other than that.

> Thanks. I thought it might but wasn't sure. Since I don't know what
> these taste like with lard, I guess I won't notice the difference!

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Selkirk Bannock

none

3 cup (about) bread flour
2 tablespoon sugar
1 package fast-rising dry yeast
1/2 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk
1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
2 1/2 cup golden raisins
1 each egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water (glaze)

Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Bring milk and
butter to simmer in medium saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Cool to
125 degrees to 130 degreesF. Stir into dry ingredients. Mix in enough
remaining flour to form soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface and
knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil large bowl.
Add dough, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in warm draft-free area
until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours. Lightly grease baking sheet.
Punch down dough. Knead in raisins. Shape dough into 7-inch-diameter
round. Place on prepared sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm
area until almost doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to
375 degrees. Brush bread with egg glaze. Bake until bread is golden and
sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack
and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly; store at room
temperature.)Subj: Potato Baps
SELKIRK BANNOCK

Yield: 1 servings

The house of the burning beet-Alan

A man in line at the bank kept falling over...when he got to a teller he
asked for his balance.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Kent <Kent >> wrote:

> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a bit
> of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate higher
> heat.

Lard (bacon fat/salt pork are just forms of unrefined lard) do
tolerate heat nearly as well as refined vegetable oils.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> Kent <Kent >> wrote:
>
>> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
>> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a
>> bit
>> of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate
>> higher
>> heat.

> Lard (bacon fat/salt pork are just forms of unrefined lard) do
> tolerate heat nearly as well as refined vegetable oils.

Do or do not?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat <cybercat >> wrote:

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> Kent <Kent >> wrote:
>>
>>> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
>>> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a
>>> bit
>>> of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate
>>> higher
>>> heat.

>> Lard (bacon fat/salt pork are just forms of unrefined lard) do
>> tolerate heat nearly as well as refined vegetable oils.
>>

> Do or do not?

DON'T is what I meant. New monitor. Can't type right.

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

>> Thanks!

> Are you making Damper? Or does Damper not have any lard in it?

I don't know what damper is. A friend just sent me this recipe because we
are not allergic to it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Kent" > wrote in message

> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a bit
> of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate
> higher heat.

I never have any bacon fat, but thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"hahabogus" > wrote in message
> "Julie Bove" > wrote in

>>> Vegetable shortening would work as far as the baking goes, but taste
>>> would be slightly different.
>>>
>>> There is no other sub other than that.

>> Thanks. I thought it might but wasn't sure. Since I don't know what
>> these taste like with lard, I guess I won't notice the difference!
>>

> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Selkirk Bannock
>
> none
>
> 3 cup (about) bread flour
> 2 tablespoon sugar
> 1 package fast-rising dry yeast
> 1/2 teaspoon salt
> 3/4 cup milk
> 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
> 2 1/2 cup golden raisins
> 1 each egg yolk beaten with 1 tablespoon water (glaze)
>
> Mix 2 1/2 cups flour, sugar, yeast and salt in large bowl. Bring milk and
> butter to simmer in medium saucepan, stirring until butter melts. Cool to
> 125 degrees to 130 degreesF. Stir into dry ingredients. Mix in enough
> remaining flour to form soft dough. Turn out onto floured surface and
> knead until smooth and elastic, about 5 minutes. Lightly oil large bowl.
> Add dough, turning to coat. Cover and let rise in warm draft-free area
> until doubled in volume, about 1 1/2 hours. Lightly grease baking sheet.
> Punch down dough. Knead in raisins. Shape dough into 7-inch-diameter
> round. Place on prepared sheet. Cover with towel and let rise in warm
> area until almost doubled in volume, about 40 minutes. Preheat oven to
> 375 degrees. Brush bread with egg glaze. Bake until bread is golden and
> sounds hollow when tapped on bottom, about 45 minutes. Transfer to rack
> and cool. (Can be made 1 day ahead. Wrap tightly; store at room
> temperature.)Subj: Potato Baps
> SELKIRK BANNOCK
>
> Yield: 1 servings

Thanks but it has too much stuff we are allergic to.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Kent" > wrote in message
>
>> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
>> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a
>> bit of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate
>> higher heat.

> I never have any bacon fat, but thanks!

Pork fat rules

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
>
>>> Thanks!

>> Are you making Damper? Or does Damper not have any lard in it?

> I don't know what damper is. A friend just sent me this recipe
> because we are not allergic to it.

An Australian camp-fire bread.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
> This is the recipe I was given:
>
> Corn-Flour Bannock
> (Fried or Baked)
> a.. 2 3/4 cups corn flour
> b.. 2 tbsp baking powder
> c.. 1/2 tsp salt
> d.. 3 tbsp lard
> e.. 2/3 cup water
> Preheat oven to 450°F. Grease lightly a cast iron frying pan, or baking
> sheet. Stir and blend together the flour, baking powder and salt. With a
> pastry blender or two knives, finely cut in the lard. Then gradually stir in
> the water. Stir with a fork to make a soft, slightly sticky dough. Turn
> dough on a lightly floured surface and knead gently 8-10 times. Roll out or
> pat 1/2 inch thick, or flatten dough to fit frying pan. Cook in frying pan
> on hat ashes over an open fire (turning to brown both sides), or on a baking
> sheet in oven for approximately 12-15 minutes, or until golden brown. Cut
> and serve with butter. Makes 1 loaf.
>
> - Aboriginal Tourism - Native Cuisine
>
> Do you know what I could sub for the lard? I don't have a real objection to
> it, but it would be something extra I would have to buy and I doubt I would
> ever use it for something else.
>
> Thanks!

How about goose fat?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Kent" > wrote in message
>>
>>> Try bacon fat. It alters the taste a bit, depending on thte bacon, but
>>> usually in a positive way. Lard and bacon fat and salt pork fat give a
>>> bit of richness to a dish that vegetable oils do not. They also tolerate
>>> higher heat.

>> I never have any bacon fat, but thanks!

> Pork fat rules

Husband can't have pork.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:

>>> Are you making Damper? Or does Damper not have any lard in it?

>> I don't know what damper is. A friend just sent me this recipe
>> because we are not allergic to it.

> An Australian camp-fire bread.

Oh... Thanks!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> How about goose fat?

Never have any animal fat.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mark A.Meggs" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:15:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> wrote:
>

>>"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>

>>> How about goose fat?

>>Never have any animal fat.
>>

> "Husband can't have pork."
>
> Just checking - you do know that lard is pork fat?
>
> Crisco or a generic would be the vegetable fat equivalent (not a true
> substitute, but as close as you're going to get without animal fat).
> It's chock full of trans fatty acids, but they won't kill you right
> away.

Can't use Crisco because of food allergies. I do have some Spectrum
shortening that I use on the odd occasion. It has no trans-fats.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>"zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>

>> How about goose fat?

>Never have any animal fat.

"Husband can't have pork."

Just checking - you do know that lard is pork fat?

Crisco or a generic would be the vegetable fat equivalent (not a true
substitute, but as close as you're going to get without animal fat).
It's chock full of trans fatty acids, but they won't kill you right
away.

- Mark

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Arri London" > wrote in message

> Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>> "Mark A.Meggs" > wrote in message

>> > "Husband can't have pork."
>> >
>> > Just checking - you do know that lard is pork fat?

Two different things. The recipe calls for 3 T. of lard. A very small
amount. I don't want to buy it to use that small amount and then most
likely throw the rest away since I would never use it for anything else.
Plus I don't think lard is all that healthy.

>> > Crisco or a generic would be the vegetable fat equivalent (not a true
>> > substitute, but as close as you're going to get without animal fat).
>> > It's chock full of trans fatty acids, but they won't kill you right
>> > away.

>> Can't use Crisco because of food allergies. I do have some Spectrum
>> shortening that I use on the odd occasion. It has no trans-fats.

> What is allergenic in Crisco?

Soy.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> "Mark A.Meggs" > wrote in message
> > On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 01:15:52 GMT, "Julie Bove" >
> > wrote:

> >>Never have any animal fat.
> >>

> > "Husband can't have pork."
> >
> > Just checking - you do know that lard is pork fat?
> >
> > Crisco or a generic would be the vegetable fat equivalent (not a true
> > substitute, but as close as you're going to get without animal fat).
> > It's chock full of trans fatty acids, but they won't kill you right
> > away.

> Can't use Crisco because of food allergies. I do have some Spectrum
> shortening that I use on the odd occasion. It has no trans-fats.

What is allergenic in Crisco?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I never have any bacon fat, but thanks!
>>>

>> Pork fat rules

> Husband can't have pork.

Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you your
entire family is allergic to everything. Not trying to be mean but how on
earth do you manage to eat? I can't believe you've never heard of using
vegetable shortening instead of lard. You must be a very, very new cook.
Be sure to avoid animal fats in the lower cost brands of "shortening".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Pork fat rules

>> Husband can't have pork.
>>

> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you your
> entire family is allergic to everything.

I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
<shrug>

-sw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun 16 Mar 2008 10:04:42p, Sqwertz told us...

> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Husband can't have pork.
>>>

>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>> your entire family is allergic to everything.

> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
> <shrug>
>
> -sw

Not that I dislike her, but I honestly can't understand why Julie posts
here. Virtually nothing about food is anything they can eat.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Sunday, 03(III)/16(XVI)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Pork fat rules

>> Husband can't have pork.
>>

> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you your
> entire family is allergic to everything. Not trying to be mean but how on
> earth do you manage to eat? I can't believe you've never heard of using
> vegetable shortening instead of lard. You must be a very, very new cook.
> Be sure to avoid animal fats in the lower cost brands of "shortening".

He's not allergic to pork. Just been put on a diet by a naturopath. And
yes, we eat very well. I have never made a recipe that calls for lard
before and aside from cookies, never anything that uses shortening. When I
baked, I used mainly butter.

I am not a new cook. I'm a year older than you and been cooking since I was
3.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Husband can't have pork.
>>>

>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>> your
>> entire family is allergic to everything.

> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
> <shrug>

My husband isn't allergic to anything. It's my mom, daughter and myself who
have food allergies. We've all had the RAST test done. That's a blood
test.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
3.184...
> On Sun 16 Mar 2008 10:04:42p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>>> your entire family is allergic to everything.

>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>> <shrug>
>>
>> -sw
>>

> Not that I dislike her, but I honestly can't understand why Julie posts
> here. Virtually nothing about food is anything they can eat.

Crimeny Dutch! I simply asked if there was something I could substitute for
lard! I know enough to skip over posts about stuff I am allergic to. There
is a food allergy newsgroup and nobody ever posts to it. There is a
diabetes food newsgroup and if I posted that recipe there, I'd be told a
dozen or more different ways to make it low carb. This seemed like the
obvious choice! And I know I am not the only one here with food allergies.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> 3.184...

>>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>>> <shrug>
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>> Not that I dislike her, but I honestly can't understand why Julie posts
>> here. Virtually nothing about food is anything they can eat.
>>

> Crimeny Dutch! I simply asked if there was something I could substitute
> for lard! I know enough to skip over posts about stuff I am allergic to.
> There is a food allergy newsgroup and nobody ever posts to it. There is a
> diabetes food newsgroup and if I posted that recipe there, I'd be told a
> dozen or more different ways to make it low carb. This seemed like the
> obvious choice! And I know I am not the only one here with food
> allergies.

Of course you aren't the only person here with food allergies. But it seems
you trumpet it every chance you get, even when you're not the on who started
a thread. You just happened to start this one. I'm not trying to be mean,
either, but I've no idea how you manage to survive. Or how you managed to
marry someone who apparently has as many food allergies as you do. Is there
a club?

Another thing: you said last night you hate seafood, but you also said
something about using canned tuna vs. canned salmon when I was chatting with
about salmon-stuffed pasta shells. This didn't make much sense. Are you
aware tuna is "seafood"? It's fine if you don't like canned salmon; I
happen to dislike canned tuna. But for someone who apparently can't eat
much I'd sure be exploring that ocean.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>>> your
>>> entire family is allergic to everything.

>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>> <shrug>

> My husband isn't allergic to anything. It's my mom, daughter and myself
> who have food allergies. We've all had the RAST test done. That's a
> blood test.

But you just said "Husband can't have pork." So, is it a religious thing?
You told me he was Italian, but perhaps that doesn't preclude some reason
for not eating pork. (Shame to miss out on pancetta, though.)

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
> . ..
>>
>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>>> . ..

>>> Husband can't have pork.
>>>

>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>> your entire family is allergic to everything. Not trying to be mean but
>> how on earth do you manage to eat? I can't believe you've never heard of
>> using vegetable shortening instead of lard. You must be a very, very new
>> cook. Be sure to avoid animal fats in the lower cost brands of
>> "shortening".

> He's not allergic to pork. Just been put on a diet by a naturopath. And
> yes, we eat very well. I have never made a recipe that calls for lard
> before and aside from cookies, never anything that uses shortening. When
> I baked, I used mainly butter.
>
> I am not a new cook. I'm a year older than you and been cooking since I
> was 3.

Neuropath. Oh, goodie. I had no idea pork was bad for brain function. You
could have fooled me, what with all the kill in the name of Allah and don't
eat pork folks. Go figure!

You know, when I did software tech support I said there was no such thing as
a stupid question. This was because the callers hadn't been using computers
since they were three. But surely between 1962 and today you ran across a
note somewhere in some basic cookbook saying to use "lard OR shortening".

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon 17 Mar 2008 01:15:55a, Julie Bove told us...

> "Sqwertz" > wrote in message
>> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>>> your entire family is allergic to everything.

>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>> <shrug>

> My husband isn't allergic to anything. It's my mom, daughter and myself
> who have food allergies. We've all had the RAST test done. That's a
> blood test.

Since you've all had the RAST test done, perhaps the rfc group could read
your posts with greater comprehension if you'd just publish a list of ALL
the things that ALL of you are allergic to. It's very tiresome hearing
about them one by one, in retorts to others' posts.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Monday, 03(III)/17(XVII)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 06:29:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Sun 16 Mar 2008 10:04:42p, Sqwertz told us...
>
>> jmcquown <jmcquown >> wrote:
>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>>> your entire family is allergic to everything.

>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>> <shrug>
>>
>> -sw
>>

>Not that I dislike her, but I honestly can't understand why Julie posts
>here. Virtually nothing about food is anything they can eat.

jesus, how about some sympathy, people? maybe she wants new ideas
with what she *can* use.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>
>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> Can your husband have anything??! Good lord, woman, according to you
>>> your entire family is allergic to everything. Not trying to be mean but
>>> how on earth do you manage to eat? I can't believe you've never heard
>>> of using vegetable shortening instead of lard. You must be a very, very
>>> new cook. Be sure to avoid animal fats in the lower cost brands of
>>> "shortening".

>> He's not allergic to pork. Just been put on a diet by a naturopath. And
>> yes, we eat very well. I have never made a recipe that calls for lard
>> before and aside from cookies, never anything that uses shortening. When
>> I baked, I used mainly butter.
>>
>> I am not a new cook. I'm a year older than you and been cooking since I
>> was 3.

> Neuropath. Oh, goodie. I had no idea pork was bad for brain function.
> You could have fooled me, what with all the kill in the name of Allah and
> don't eat pork folks. Go figure!

I said naturopath. That's a holistic Dr. Has nothing to do with neurology.
I did not ask him why she said for him not to eat it.

> You know, when I did software tech support I said there was no such thing
> as a stupid question. This was because the callers hadn't been using
> computers since they were three. But surely between 1962 and today you
> ran across a note somewhere in some basic cookbook saying to use "lard OR
> shortening".

I collect cookbooks. I do not recall ANY recipe that says to use either or.
In fact I don't recall too many recipes at all that call for lard, except
perhaps for some Mexican onees. That's why I asked. And I don't like you
implying that I am stupid.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

>>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>>> <shrug>

>> My husband isn't allergic to anything. It's my mom, daughter and myself
>> who have food allergies. We've all had the RAST test done. That's a
>> blood test.

> But you just said "Husband can't have pork." So, is it a religious thing?
> You told me he was Italian, but perhaps that doesn't preclude some reason
> for not eating pork. (Shame to miss out on pancetta, though.)

For Christ sakes! And no, I'm not religious. And yes he's Italian but
doesn't like pancetta. He doesn't really even like Italian food. I do not
know why he was told not to eat it. He just had a kidney removed and the
Dr. told him he needed to change his diet and eat only healthy food. He had
no clue where to start and wouldn't listen to me, so he went to the
naturopath and asked her what he should be eating. She said no dairy and no
pork. I don't know if this is for healing cancer, or what. I didn't ask.
But I could if you really want me to. I see her all the time.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
.184...

> Since you've all had the RAST test done, perhaps the rfc group could read
> your posts with greater comprehension if you'd just publish a list of ALL
> the things that ALL of you are allergic to. It's very tiresome hearing
> about them one by one, in retorts to others' posts.

Three friggin' things. Dairy, eggs and almonds. Happy? There are other
things I can not eat for other reasons. And I do not reply to every poster
here or give retorts about my allergies to everyone. Jeez!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
. ..

> Of course you aren't the only person here with food allergies. But it
> seems you trumpet it every chance you get, even when you're not the on who
> started a thread. You just happened to start this one. I'm not trying to
> be mean, either, but I've no idea how you manage to survive. Or how you
> managed to marry someone who apparently has as many food allergies as you
> do. Is there a club?

A club for food allergies? Ha! I have no clue but I am not the club going
type. I started this one to ask about the lard. One simply question. But
you couldn't just answer that, could you? No. And I did not marry anyone
with food allerigies. He HAS no food allergies. You are aware I'm sure
that people can't eat certain things for other reasons besides
allergies...right? People with hemochromatosis can't eat much food with
iron in it. People on statins aren't supposed to eat grapefruit. People
with high cholesterol and high BP often have various notions on what they
should and shouldn't eat. Same for those with heart problems.

> Another thing: you said last night you hate seafood, but you also said
> something about using canned tuna vs. canned salmon when I was chatting
> with about salmon-stuffed pasta shells. This didn't make much sense. Are
> you aware tuna is "seafood"? It's fine if you don't like canned salmon; I
> happen to dislike canned tuna. But for someone who apparently can't eat
> much I'd sure be exploring that ocean.

I never said ANYTHING about canned tuna because I don't eat canned tuna.
Tuna is the "only" fish that I like. I buy it in a pouch. You were talking
about stuffed shells and I said I had some. I said I could stuff them with
tuna. And why are you dragging what I said to you in chat into this
newsgroup? Just trying to start trouble? By seafood, I meant crab,
mussels, clams, shrimp, etc.

And my diet is MY business. I have various health problems and you DON'T
see me going on and on about them. You seem pretty damned nasty to be
picking on someone for something they did not ask for nor can do anything
about except to avoid those foods that cause trouble. You say you're not
trying to be mean, but you sure succeeded at it honey!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 17 Mar 2008 06:29:42 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:

>>> I'd be pretty surprised if her family being allergic to so many
>>> things isn't some a type of localized form of mass psychosis.
>>> <shrug>
>>>
>>> -sw
>>>

>>Not that I dislike her, but I honestly can't understand why Julie posts
>>here. Virtually nothing about food is anything they can eat.

> jesus, how about some sympathy, people? maybe she wants new ideas
> with what she *can* use.

Exactly. I have a recipe that I CAN eat. I don't want to have to buy lard
for it because I have no other use for lard. I don't care what animal it
comes from or whatever. That would just be one more thing to bring into the
house to sit in the fridge or wherever you keep it until it goes bad because
I would never use it for anything else. I do make Mexican food and for
those recipes that call for lard, I use olive oil. No, I do not make my own
tortillas, but I did many years ago. They were corn and I don't recall what
else went into them but it wasn't lard!

I did not think olive oil would work in this recipe given that it is much
more liquid. That's why I asked. But apparently I asked in the wrong
place. Next time I'll be sure to ask in a non-cooking newsgroup and label
it OT. Maybe they'll be willing to give me an answer without all the grief.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:

> I said naturopath. That's a holistic Dr.

Using the title "Doctor" loosely though, since they aren't medical doctors.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Julie Bove wrote:
He just had a kidney removed and the
> Dr. told him he needed to change his diet and eat only healthy food. He had
> no clue where to start and wouldn't listen to me, so he went to the
> naturopath and asked her what he should be eating. She said no dairy and no
> pork. I don't know if this is for healing cancer, or what. I didn't ask.
> But I could if you really want me to. I see her all the time.

Could be just a preference of this "naturopath" and not based in medical
science at all. I would seek out a nutritionist over this person if I
were confused about diet.

Sweet Lard? maxine in ri General Cooking 20 24-10-2017 02:57 PM
Lard George Leppla General Cooking 8 26-07-2009 04:46 PM
Got lard? Felice Friese General Cooking 36 24-08-2007 02:25 PM
lard [email protected] General Cooking 1 27-11-2003 02:35 AM
lard [email protected] General Cooking 0 27-11-2003 12:49 AM