Darryl L. Pierce

Default Aluminum baking sheets

My wife gave me two aluminum baking sheets and a roasting pan for Xmas. I
made my first batch of cookies on Saturday using the new sheets and found
that, with my thin cookie recipe, the cookies spread more than they ever
have before. Also, the pan's stayed hotter for alot longer than my old pans
(some-brand non-stick). The cookies themselves came out just fine, but were
unfortunately too wide to fit through the mouth of the cookie jar...

Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze them
prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
quickly?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Vox Humana

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
s.com...
> My wife gave me two aluminum baking sheets and a roasting pan for Xmas. I
> made my first batch of cookies on Saturday using the new sheets and found
> that, with my thin cookie recipe, the cookies spread more than they ever
> have before. Also, the pan's stayed hotter for alot longer than my old

pans
> (some-brand non-stick). The cookies themselves came out just fine, but

were
> unfortunately too wide to fit through the mouth of the cookie jar...
>
> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze

them
> prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
> quickly?

You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

Ray

> You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

Or line the sheets with parchment paper.

"Vox Humana" > wrote in message

> "Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
> s.com...
> > My wife gave me two aluminum baking sheets and a roasting pan for Xmas.

> > made my first batch of cookies on Saturday using the new sheets and

found
> > that, with my thin cookie recipe, the cookies spread more than they ever
> > have before. Also, the pan's stayed hotter for alot longer than my old

> pans
> > (some-brand non-stick). The cookies themselves came out just fine, but

> were
> > unfortunately too wide to fit through the mouth of the cookie jar...
> >
> > Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze

> them
> > prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
> > quickly?

> You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

Darryl L. Pierce

Vox Humana wrote:

>> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze

> them
>> prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
>> quickly?

> You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
Perhaps colder would be better?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

Ray wrote:

>> You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

> Or line the sheets with parchment paper.

That I did do, but they still spread.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

PENMART01

"Darryl L. Pierce" writes:

>The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
>Perhaps colder would be better?

Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one chooses
makes a rat's ass of difference.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

sf

On Tue, 30 Dec 2003 21:46:45 GMT, "Darryl L. Pierce"
> wrote:

> Ray wrote:
>
> >> You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

> > Or line the sheets with parchment paper.

> That I did do, but they still spread.

Maybe you need to look at the oven temp or your ingredients.

Vox Humana

"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
s.com...
> Vox Humana wrote:
>
> >> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze

> > them
> >> prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
> >> quickly?

> > You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

> The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
> Perhaps colder would be better?

If the only thing that has changed is the pans, then obviously they are the
issue. I would first start by lowering the temperature by 25F. If that
doesn't help, then you could modify the recipe. If you are using all
butter, try substituting half the butter for solid vegetable shortening
(Crisco). You could also add another egg and adjust the flour to get the
proper consistency (if there is liquid, you might take out a couple of
tablespoons to compensate for the egg).

Darryl L. Pierce

Vox Humana wrote:

>> > them
>> >
>> > You can try chilling the dough instead of the sheets.

>> The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
>> Perhaps colder would be better?

> If the only thing that has changed is the pans, then obviously they are
> the
> issue. I would first start by lowering the temperature by 25F. If that
> doesn't help, then you could modify the recipe. If you are using all
> butter, try substituting half the butter for solid vegetable shortening
> (Crisco). You could also add another egg and adjust the flour to get the
> proper consistency (if there is liquid, you might take out a couple of
> tablespoons to compensate for the egg).

That's the kind of suggestion I was looking for, how to compensate in the
recipe for changes in the hardware. I'll be baking this weekend so I'll get
back with what changed and how it worked.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
>>Perhaps colder would be better?

> Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one
> chooses makes a rat's ass of difference.

That's a silly statement. The only thing that changed was the baking sheet.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Darryl L. Pierce

sf wrote:

>> > Or line the sheets with parchment paper.

>> That I did do, but they still spread.

> Maybe you need to look at the oven temp or your ingredients.

Vox suggested adjusting the ingredients. The oven doesn't seem to be too
much off; I have a thermometer in it and check the temperature to make sure
I'm at the right one, though I've not checked to see how far it fluctuates.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
PENMART01

Some newbie kitchen putz wrote:
>>>The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
>>>Perhaps colder would be better?

>> Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one
>> chooses makes a rat's ass of difference.

>That's a silly statement. The only thing that changed was the baking sheet.

Seriously doubtful, considering the baker (non-baker).

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

sandy

Hi Darryl,
I read that if you let the butter get too warm,,,,,more than room
temperature,,,,,,,this could cause the cookies to spread.
Just a novice.
Sandy
"Darryl L. Pierce" > wrote in message
s.com...
> My wife gave me two aluminum baking sheets and a roasting pan for Xmas. I
> made my first batch of cookies on Saturday using the new sheets and found
> that, with my thin cookie recipe, the cookies spread more than they ever
> have before. Also, the pan's stayed hotter for alot longer than my old

pans
> (some-brand non-stick). The cookies themselves came out just fine, but

were
> unfortunately too wide to fit through the mouth of the cookie jar...
>
> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze

them
> prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
> quickly?
>
> --
> Darryl L. Pierce >
> Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

sf

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:12:31 GMT, "Darryl L. Pierce"
> wrote:

> >> That I did do, but they still spread.

> > Maybe you need to look at the oven temp or your ingredients.

> Vox suggested adjusting the ingredients. The oven doesn't seem to be too
> much off; I have a thermometer in it and check the temperature to make sure
> I'm at the right one, though I've not checked to see how far it fluctuates.

It's exasperating when your oven doesn't produce good
results and sometimes it's hard to tell why. I had a
terrible time with an old oven for a while... nothing to
bake properly and it seemed like no matter what I did
changed the outcome. My oven's problem was that it didn't
"turn on" when it should and my oven thermometer didn't
catch the problem.

Eventually, I called in a technician who used the proper
diagnostic tool to decide the culprit was the thermostat.
After that was changed, the oven worked perfectly. Have you
checked out your thermostat? I'm not talking about
recalibrating (which is what your thermometer will catch) -
I mean does your oven's thermostat turn off when it should
turn off?

I know you haven't done that kind of checking yet, but maybe
you can put it on your New Year's "to do" list.

My own list is getting longer by the day... and my New
Year's resolution is to DO what's on the list. <G>

sf

On Wed, 31 Dec 2003 01:12:31 GMT, "Darryl L. Pierce"
> wrote:

> PENMART01 wrote:
>
> >>The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or so.
> >>Perhaps colder would be better?

> > Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one
> > chooses makes a rat's ass of difference.

> That's a silly statement. The only thing that changed was the baking sheet.

He right about the baking sheet... it doesn't make a big
difference. If you're concerned about if your cookies brown
on the bottom or not then your baking sheet will matter -
otherwise, it's not a problem.

He also restated one of my concerns... the recipe. I'm
wondering if you have too much "fat" in it?

If you post the full recipe, the collective hallowed heads
of RFC will take a look at and tell you if it's the recipe,
the baking sheet or the oven.

Darryl L. Pierce

sf wrote:

>> > Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one
>> > chooses makes a rat's ass of difference.

>> That's a silly statement. The only thing that changed was the baking
>> sheet.

> He right about the baking sheet... it doesn't make a big
> difference. If you're concerned about if your cookies brown
> on the bottom or not then your baking sheet will matter -
> otherwise, it's not a problem.
>
> He also restated one of my concerns... the recipe. I'm
> wondering if you have too much "fat" in it?
>
> If you post the full recipe, the collective hallowed heads
> of RFC will take a look at and tell you if it's the recipe,
> the baking sheet or the oven.

2 1/4C AP flour
1 tsp kosher salt
1 tsp baking soda
pinch baking powder
1 egg
2z milk
1 1/2 tsp vanilla
2 sticks unsalted butter
1C sugar
1/2C brown sugar
2C semisweet chips

Sift together flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda. Combine the eggs,
vanilla and milk. Cream the butter, then add the sugars and continue
creaming until fluffy. Add the wet ingredients. Slowly add flour mixture
and beat until well combined. Add chocolate chips.

Scoop onto tray and bake for 15 minutes, rotating tray after 7. Remove from
the oven to a cooling tray then store in cookie jar when cooled.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

PENMART01 wrote:

>>> Perhaps it's your recipe/technique... I seriously doubt which pan one
>>> chooses makes a rat's ass of difference.

>>That's a silly statement. The only thing that changed was the baking
>>sheet.

> Seriously doubtful, considering the baker (non-baker).

When all else fails, argument ad hominem?

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
Darryl L. Pierce

sf wrote:

> It's exasperating when your oven doesn't produce good
> results and sometimes it's hard to tell why. I had a
> terrible time with an old oven for a while... nothing to
> bake properly and it seemed like no matter what I did
> changed the outcome. My oven's problem was that it didn't
> "turn on" when it should and my oven thermometer didn't
> catch the problem.
>
> Eventually, I called in a technician who used the proper
> diagnostic tool to decide the culprit was the thermostat.
> After that was changed, the oven worked perfectly. Have you
> checked out your thermostat? I'm not talking about
> recalibrating (which is what your thermometer will catch) -
> I mean does your oven's thermostat turn off when it should
> turn off?

I've not checked, but will do so when I bake dinner tomorrow. I have a
thermometer hanging on the front of the middle rack and one in the back and
can check temperatures when I hear the oven light click off.

> I know you haven't done that kind of checking yet, but maybe
> you can put it on your New Year's "to do" list.
>
> My own list is getting longer by the day... and my New
> Year's resolution is to DO what's on the list. <G>

Same here. I'm taking my old cookie jar (too small for my baking output now
<g>) and and using that for my wife's honey-do list and getting a larger
cookie jar.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
zxcvbob

>>> The cookie dough I chilled in the refridgerator for about an hour or
>>> so. Perhaps colder would be better?

>> If the only thing that has changed is the pans, then obviously they
>> are the issue. I would first start by lowering the temperature by
>> 25F. If that doesn't help, then you could modify the recipe. If you
>> are using all butter, try substituting half the butter for solid
>> vegetable shortening (Crisco). You could also add another egg and
>> adjust the flour to get the proper consistency (if there is liquid,
>> you might take out a couple of tablespoons to compensate for the egg).
>>

> That's the kind of suggestion I was looking for, how to compensate in
> the recipe for changes in the hardware. I'll be baking this weekend so
> I'll get back with what changed and how it worked.

Melt the butter and combine all the ingredients at once instead of creaming
the solid butter and sugar first. The resulting dough will be kind of
soft, so refrigerate it for an hour if it is too sticky to work. Melting
the butter frees up its whey to develop the gluten in the flour a little.

You also might try using bread flour instead of AP.

It sounds like your oven is too hot.

Best regards,
Bob
Darryl L. Pierce

zxcvbob wrote:

>> That's the kind of suggestion I was looking for, how to compensate in
>> the recipe for changes in the hardware. I'll be baking this weekend so
>> I'll get back with what changed and how it worked.

> Melt the butter and combine all the ingredients at once instead of
> creaming
> the solid butter and sugar first. The resulting dough will be kind of
> soft, so refrigerate it for an hour if it is too sticky to work. Melting
> the butter frees up its whey to develop the gluten in the flour a little.
>
> You also might try using bread flour instead of AP.

Good suggestions all. I'll give them a try.

> It sounds like your oven is too hot.

I had thought that as well. It just seems strange to me that the only thing
that has changed from the last time I baked cookies (the weekend before)
and this time was the pan.

--
Darryl L. Pierce >
Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>

Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets?

Using Aluminum can be very dangerous and is harmful to brain tissue.
It isn't a cooking medium of choice.
Matt

BOB

> wrote in message
link.net...
> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets?
>

> Using Aluminum can be very dangerous and is harmful to brain tissue.
> It isn't a cooking medium of choice.
> Matt

Here, this link is for you:
http://zapatopi.net/afdb.html

Puester

"Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:

> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets? Should I freeze them
> prior to making cookies in order to keep the cookies from spreading too
> quickly?
>
> --

I wouldn't freeze the pans, but I WOULD chill them with cold
water between batches. Never put cookie dough on a hot pan
unless the recipe specifically calls for it, and I don't know
of any that do.

gloria p
Julia Altshuler

wrote:
> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets?
>

> Using Aluminum can be very dangerous and is harmful to brain tissue.
> It isn't a cooking medium of choice.

Here's information on that urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

The way I remember it, there were autopsy reports on finding abnormal
amounts of alluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's patients that made
some people afraid of using alluminum cookware. I first heard this in
the 1980s and didn't know the rumors went back to the 1920s until I
checked Snopes. Later reports debunked the original research, but that
didn't make as big an impact in the news.

--Lia

Be my guest and do use them...its a Darwin thing!

Julia Altshuler wrote:

> wrote:
>
>> Any suggestions on working with aluminum baking sheets?
>>

>> Using Aluminum can be very dangerous and is harmful to brain tissue.
>> It isn't a cooking medium of choice.

> Here's information on that urban legend:

http://www.snopes.com/movies/actors/valentin.htm

> The way I remember it, there were autopsy reports on finding abnormal
> amounts of alluminum in the brains of Alzheimer's patients that made
> some people afraid of using alluminum cookware. I first heard this in
> the 1980s and didn't know the rumors went back to the 1920s until I
> checked Snopes. Later reports debunked the original research, but that
> didn't make as big an impact in the news.
>
> --Lia

modom

On Thu, 01 Jan 2004 21:50:44 GMT, wrote:

>Be my guest and do use them...its a Darwin thing!

Uninformed and smug. Nice combination.

modom
Vox Humana

"B-0b1" > wrote in message

> "Darryl L. Pierce" wrote:
>
> > wrote:
> >
> > > Be my guest and do use them...its a Darwin thing!

> > Too bad there's no selective pressure for credulity.
> >
> > --
> > Darryl L. Pierce >
> > Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
> > "What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

> Napoleon introduced "ALUNIMUM" (lol) to the world of
> food indigestion! It's only become WORSE since, Mr. Alzheimer
> was exhumed and became the leading result of cooking, eating, and
> drinking from the containers made of "AL" as well! It has an ionic
> affect on the brain cells and "replaces" natural and SAFE chemistry
> with its lesser and more active valence. THUS a breakdown of Brain
> Chemistry and subsequent loss of memories long cherished. DUH!!
> B-0b1

Aluminum is a very common element that we are constantly exposed to even
without using aluminum cookware. By the way, Dr. Alzheimer described the
disease, he didn't have it.
http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/WhatIsAD.htm

According to the Alzheimer's Association:
4. Myth: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans
can lead to Alzheimer's disease.
Reality: Based on current research, getting rid of aluminum cans, pots, and
pans will not protect you from Alzheimer's disease. The exact role (if any)
of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease is still being researched and debated.
However, most researchers believe that not enough evidence exists to
consider aluminum a risk factor for Alzheimer's or a cause of dementia.

You need to start reading the journals of our association to get get
peer reviewed opinions not affected by allopathic medicine.
The Journal of Chiropractic has many interesting articles on nutrition
and the common occurrence of disease.
Matt

Vox Humana wrote:

> "B-0b1" > wrote in message

>>>Too bad there's no selective pressure for credulity.
>>>
>>>--
>>>Darryl L. Pierce >
>>>Visit the Infobahn Offramp - <http://mypage.org/mcpierce>
>>>"What do you care what other people think, Mr. Feynman?"

>> Napoleon introduced "ALUNIMUM" (lol) to the world of
>> food indigestion! It's only become WORSE since, Mr. Alzheimer
>> was exhumed and became the leading result of cooking, eating, and
>> drinking from the containers made of "AL" as well! It has an ionic
>> affect on the brain cells and "replaces" natural and SAFE chemistry
>> with its lesser and more active valence. THUS a breakdown of Brain
>> Chemistry and subsequent loss of memories long cherished. DUH!!
>>B-0b1

> Aluminum is a very common element that we are constantly exposed to even
> without using aluminum cookware. By the way, Dr. Alzheimer described the
> disease, he didn't have it.
http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/WhatIsAD.htm

> According to the Alzheimer's Association:
> 4. Myth: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and pans
> can lead to Alzheimer's disease.
> Reality: Based on current research, getting rid of aluminum cans, pots, and
> pans will not protect you from Alzheimer's disease. The exact role (if any)
> of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease is still being researched and debated.
> However, most researchers believe that not enough evidence exists to
> consider aluminum a risk factor for Alzheimer's or a cause of dementia.

Vox Humana

> wrote in message
link.net...
> You need to start reading the journals of our association to get get
> peer reviewed opinions not affected by allopathic medicine.
> The Journal of Chiropractic has many interesting articles on nutrition
> and the common occurrence of disease.
> Matt
>
> Vox Humana wrote:

For someone who prefers Tang and Cool Whip over natural food products, it
seem inconsistent to get picky when it comes to cookware. You have no way
of knowing what manufacturers use to produce all the artificial products
that you claim you like in the thread over at rec.food.baking. Furthermore,
I think that Chiropractors are qualified to manipulate the body, but don't
have the credentials to advise people on wider issues like nutrition and
allergies.

\

> >> Napoleon introduced "ALUNIMUM" (lol) to the world of
> >> food indigestion! It's only become WORSE since, Mr. Alzheimer
> >> was exhumed and became the leading result of cooking, eating, and
> >> drinking from the containers made of "AL" as well! It has an ionic
> >> affect on the brain cells and "replaces" natural and SAFE chemistry
> >> with its lesser and more active valence. THUS a breakdown of Brain
> >> Chemistry and subsequent loss of memories long cherished. DUH!!
> >>B-0b1

> > Aluminum is a very common element that we are constantly exposed to even
> > without using aluminum cookware. By the way, Dr. Alzheimer described

the
> > disease, he didn't have it.
http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/WhatIsAD.htm

> > According to the Alzheimer's Association:
> > 4. Myth: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and

pans
> > can lead to Alzheimer's disease.
> > Reality: Based on current research, getting rid of aluminum cans, pots,

and
> > pans will not protect you from Alzheimer's disease. The exact role (if

any)
> > of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease is still being researched and

debated.
> > However, most researchers believe that not enough evidence exists to
> > consider aluminum a risk factor for Alzheimer's or a cause of dementia.

Chiropractors have far more study hours in nutrition and the diseases
that arise from the improper use of common utensils than the allopathic
person. They have less than 6 hours.
I find Tang to be as good as other fluid replacements. Orange Juice is
not for everyone...as I explained it is far to acid for me.
We happen to prefer Cool Whip rather than whipped cream for many reasons.
I did not advise you to stop using cream. I stated it was not for us
and is the choice of many.
Matt

wrote:

>>>Aluminum is a very common element that we are constantly exposed to even
>>>without using aluminum cookware. By the way, Dr. Alzheimer described

> the
>
>>>disease, he didn't have it. http://www.alz.org/AboutAD/WhatIsAD.htm
>>>
>>>According to the Alzheimer's Association:
>>>4. Myth: Drinking out of aluminum cans or cooking in aluminum pots and

> pans
>
>>>can lead to Alzheimer's disease.
>>>Reality: Based on current research, getting rid of aluminum cans, pots,

> and
>
>>>pans will not protect you from Alzheimer's disease. The exact role (if

> any)
>
>>>of aluminum in Alzheimer's disease is still being researched and

> debated.
>
>>>However, most researchers believe that not enough evidence exists to
>>>consider aluminum a risk factor for Alzheimer's or a cause of dementia.

Darryl L. Pierce

B-0b1 wrote:

> Napoleon introduced "ALUNIMUM" (lol) to the world of
> food indigestion! It's only become WORSE since, Mr. Alzheimer
> was exhumed and became the leading result of cooking, eating, and
> drinking from the containers made of "AL" as well! It has an ionic
> affect on the brain cells and "replaces" natural and SAFE chemistry
> with its lesser and more active valence. THUS a breakdown of Brain
> Chemistry and subsequent loss of memories long cherished. DUH!!

Can you cite the source of your "information"?