Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Most easily overcooked foods...

Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.

Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.

Shrimp gets pan fried in butter and olive oil, most often with a bit of
garlic and salt free lemon pepper and mixed in with the final dish once
it pinks up.

I know that there is a way to properly add Broccoli to a final stir fry
or steamed veggie mix, but I have yet to get it right. :-P Now I just
stir it in pre-cooked once the heat is turned off.
Cooking it by itself and then adding it once all else is done has been
easier and more successful, and it works fine flavor-wise in the final
dish.

Mushrooms are easy. They don't seem to care. ;-) I may cook them with
either one for extra flavor, or start them in the original dish that I
was preparing in the first place.

Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
rest of the food.

Anyone else?

I just hate food that has had the "life" cooked out of it. ;-p
Seems to be harder to digest too, especially eggs. Or it just loses
flavor and texture to the point you may as well not have bothered.

It's one reason I'm not overly fond of steam tables.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet said...

> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
> stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
> rest of the food.
>
> Anyone else?

Well, uhm... with a nick such as Omelet, you better not be messing up eggs!!!

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.

I have never thought to pre-cook broccoli before adding it to a dish and it
makes perfect sense. I feel a slap-your-forehead-*duh*-kind-of-moment,
here. <g> It would help tremendously in a stir-fry if it was steamed
first; broccoli seems to take the longest. Thanks!

Another food that can get overcooked easily is steamed asparagus. Cook it
too long and it becomes discolored and stringy. It's a fine line, too. One
minute it's too crisp and the next it's mush. After many unsuccessful
tries, I learned to stop at *just* before fork tender, take the steamer off
the heat, and run the spears under cold water to halt the cooking process.
I get bright green tender spears every time. (Well, unless I'm grilling or
roasting, anyway.)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote

> Anyone else?

Angel hair pasta is tricky for me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

writes:
>Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

Toast is literally the easiest food to overcook.

blAndy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
> >
> > I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
> >
> > Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> > and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.
> >

> I have never thought to pre-cook broccoli before adding it to a dish and it
> makes perfect sense. I feel a slap-your-forehead-*duh*-kind-of-moment,
> here. <g> It would help tremendously in a stir-fry if it was steamed
> first; broccoli seems to take the longest. Thanks!

Welcome! This has worked very well for us here.

> Another food that can get overcooked easily is steamed asparagus.

Oh I do so agree!

> Cook it
> too long and it becomes discolored and stringy. It's a fine line, too. One
> minute it's too crisp and the next it's mush. After many unsuccessful
> tries, I learned to stop at *just* before fork tender, take the steamer off
> the heat, and run the spears under cold water to halt the cooking process.
> I get bright green tender spears every time. (Well, unless I'm grilling or
> roasting, anyway.)
>
> kili

That is a good idea.

I've not used the cold water rinse to stop stuff from cooking yet.
I tend to forget that technique, thanks for the reminder!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Andy <q> wrote:

> Omelet said...
>
> > Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
> > stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
> > rest of the food.
> >
> > Anyone else?

> Well, uhm... with a nick such as Omelet, you better not be messing up eggs!!!
>
> Andy

ROFL!!!

Indeed...

Over on the weight lifting list, I've managed to help a couple of people
that had trouble with indigestion after eating eggs.

They were simply over-cooking them.

Rubber cooked eggs tend to sit like lead in the stomach, and you don't
even need to be allergic to them.

Over-cooked food in general tends to make me feel ill.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > Anyone else?

> Angel hair pasta is tricky for me.
>
> nancy

Ooh good one!

I've erred cooking pasta to moosh a few of times.
It's why I've learned to love my kitchen timers so. :-)
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 12:56 pm, Omelet > wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.
>
> Shrimp gets pan fried in butter and olive oil, most often with a bit of
> garlic and salt free lemon pepper and mixed in with the final dish once
> it pinks up.
>
> I know that there is a way to properly add Broccoli to a final stir fry
> or steamed veggie mix, but I have yet to get it right. :-P Now I just
> stir it in pre-cooked once the heat is turned off.
> Cooking it by itself and then adding it once all else is done has been
> easier and more successful, and it works fine flavor-wise in the final
> dish.
>
> Mushrooms are easy. They don't seem to care. ;-) I may cook them with
> either one for extra flavor, or start them in the original dish that I
> was preparing in the first place.
>
> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
> stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
> rest of the food.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> I just hate food that has had the "life" cooked out of it. ;-p
> Seems to be harder to digest too, especially eggs. Or it just loses
> flavor and texture to the point you may as well not have bothered.
>
> It's one reason I'm not overly fond of steam tables.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

I totally agree with broccoli. Apsaragus too. I'd also have to say
boneless chicken breasts/tenders are also.

Kris

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:34:22 -0500:

??>> Omelet wrote:
??>>> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
??>>>
??>>> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
??>>>
??>>> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam
??>>> it on it's own and add it to the final dish. Timing is
??>>> everything.
??>>>
??>> I have never thought to pre-cook broccoli before adding it
??>> to a dish and it makes perfect sense. I feel a
??>> slap-your-forehead-*duh*-kind-of-moment, here. <g> It
??>> would help tremendously in a stir-fry if it was
??>> steamed first; broccoli seems to take the longest.
??>> Thanks!

Sorry, can't resist: broccoli should never be cooked for me or
served to me. Raw, it can be used to pick up a dip. Actually,
I'm not quite telling the truth since I quite like the *stems*
cooked for a couple of minutes and served cold with a
vinaigrette (Hungarian I believe). Broccolini will also work
that way for me.

My candidate for overcooking, based on suffering thro' a British
upbringing, is Brussels Sprouts. After much more than three
minutes cooking I won't eat them tho' I actually like them
cooked to my taste.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I'm surprised no one has mentioned sushi or sashimi yet.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 18:48:21 GMT, "James Silverton"
> wrote:

>vinaigrette (Hungarian I believe)

Sounds interesting - I found one using hungarian peppers and wasabi
paste. That's fusion, not Hungarian.

Got a recipe?
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 11 Jul 2007 14:02:15 -0500, zxcvbob >
wrote:

>I'm surprised no one has mentioned sushi or sashimi yet.

Why should they?
--

History is a vast early warning system
Norman Cousins

Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:18:12 -0700:

??>> vinaigrette (Hungarian I believe)

s> Sounds interesting - I found one using hungarian peppers and
s> wasabi paste. That's fusion, not Hungarian.

s> Got a recipe?

For mine, a standard vinaigrette (oil, salt and vinegar, perhaps
a little garlic) works well. It tastes good as a salad with beef
paprika. The broccoli should be cut into bite-size pieces.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> Omelet wrote:
>> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

> For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job
>
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy

Calamari and other squid and octopus all seems to have a life of their own
when being cooked. However, I went to a chinese buffet for the first time
in about 15 years yesterday, and they had peppered baby octopus cooked to
perfection, I ate a good two plates full.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <VB9li.3391$Y_3.1063@trnddc04>,
"James Silverton" > wrote:

> Omelet wrote on Wed, 11 Jul 2007 12:34:22 -0500:
>
> ??>> Omelet wrote:
> ??>>> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
> ??>>>
> ??>>> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
> ??>>>
> ??>>> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam
> ??>>> it on it's own and add it to the final dish. Timing is
> ??>>> everything.
> ??>>>
> ??>> I have never thought to pre-cook broccoli before adding it
> ??>> to a dish and it makes perfect sense. I feel a
> ??>> slap-your-forehead-*duh*-kind-of-moment, here. <g> It
> ??>> would help tremendously in a stir-fry if it was
> ??>> steamed first; broccoli seems to take the longest.
> ??>> Thanks!
>
> Sorry, can't resist: broccoli should never be cooked for me or
> served to me. Raw, it can be used to pick up a dip. Actually,
> I'm not quite telling the truth since I quite like the *stems*
> cooked for a couple of minutes and served cold with a
> vinaigrette (Hungarian I believe). Broccolini will also work
> that way for me.

I LIKE raw Broccoli, but it does not like me. Unfortunately. :-(

> My candidate for overcooking, based on suffering thro' a British
> upbringing, is Brussels Sprouts. After much more than three
> minutes cooking I won't eat them tho' I actually like them
> cooked to my taste.
>
> James Silverton

I've not eaten them in years and have been trying to work up the courage
to try again. I understand they are best done roasted.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
zxcvbob > wrote:

> I'm surprised no one has mentioned sushi or sashimi yet.
>
> Bob

You just did. <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:
>>> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

>> For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job

> How does he cook them?
> I just cook them until they turn the right "golden" color in the deep
> fryer. I've also stir fried squid and timed it for 3 minutes.

He does them in the wok - in a little oil - very hot and very fast. I
have tried to get it right, have watched plenty, but just don't have the
"knack" - sigh. Mine always turns out like rubber.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

> For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job

How does he cook them?
I just cook them until they turn the right "golden" color in the deep
fryer. I've also stir fried squid and timed it for 3 minutes.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

??>> Omelet wrote:
??>>> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
??>>
??>> For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job
??>>
P> Calamari and other squid and octopus all seems to have a
life of their own
when being cooked. However, I went to a chinese buffet for the
first time
in about 15 years yesterday, and they had peppered baby octopus
cooked to
P> perfection, I ate a good two plates full.

I had them served in a very mild curry sauce at a Chinese buffet
(don't tell anyone I was there!) They were pretty good!

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <%cali.29819$Io4.11726@edtnps89>, "Peter" >
wrote:

> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message
> > Omelet wrote:
> >> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

> > For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job
> >
> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Calamari and other squid and octopus all seems to have a life of their own
> when being cooked. However, I went to a chinese buffet for the first time
> in about 15 years yesterday, and they had peppered baby octopus cooked to
> perfection, I ate a good two plates full.

I've only ever prepared it stuffed and braised. :-)
Seems with octopoids (including squid) it either needs to be cooked very
fast, or slow and long.

Much like very lean beef.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:

> Mushrooms are easy. They don't seem to care. ;-) I may cook them with

Well, I think most people overcook mushrooms, though I don't
like them raw, they do seem to be overcooked fairly often.

I see a lot of overcooked pasta as well.
Vegetables in general seem to be overcooked by a lot of people.

> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and

Yep, this is why I never get eggs from a fast food joint or
from a buffet. Guaranteed they will be overcooked.

Pork and boneless, skinless chicken breasts are easy to
overcook. Those take some practice. All of the other
stuff above I have no trouble with, but I really have to
be careful on pork and chicken breasts.

Bill Ranck
Blacksburg, Va.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> Omelet wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Chatty Cathy > wrote:

> >> For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job

> > How does he cook them?
> > I just cook them until they turn the right "golden" color in the deep
> > fryer. I've also stir fried squid and timed it for 3 minutes.

> He does them in the wok - in a little oil - very hot and very fast. I
> have tried to get it right, have watched plenty, but just don't have the
> "knack" - sigh. Mine always turns out like rubber.

Overcooking. :-)

Cut the time, try using a timer?
I had to do that to get them right.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> In article >,
> zxcvbob > wrote:
>
>> I'm surprised no one has mentioned sushi or sashimi yet.
>>
>> Bob

> You just did. <lol>

For me, it is Asparagus. I suppose different thicknesses of the stalks
are the villains, but I also forget to allow for the fact that they they
keep on cooking after I take them out of the steamer. Every once in a
while I do everything right and pat myself on the back, because the
Asparagus are so perfect. Then comes the next time and.......
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush;

I've never had that problem. It's easy to undercook it and I don't want my
steamed veggies "tender crisp". I want them cooked, thanks, but not to
mush.

> Shrimp gets pan fried in butter and olive oil, most often with a bit
> of garlic and salt free lemon pepper and mixed in with the final dish
> once it pinks up.

Shrimp is something easily overcooked as is crab. It should be just pink
and so many people are tempted to leave them a few more minutes. No!
Otherwise it turns to rubber.

> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves
> and stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to
> the rest of the food.

I guess you just have to know how to cook eggs. They may be scrambled, they
may be over easy, over medium or over well. They may be soft boiled, medium
boiled or hard boiled. You could prepare an omelet <G> I have managed to
master them. Just takes practice.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves
> and stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to
> the rest of the food.
>
> Anyone else?

Hamburgers. I've been married a gazillion years but if I cook a decent
one it's by accident. They're either too rare or too well done, no
matter what.

Dora

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2007-07-11, Omelet > wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

Nah, if one pays attention.

My choice is garlic and buffalo/beefalo. Garlic is either too
hot/tangy or too mild, whether baked, sauteed, etc. Buff/beefalo,
likewise, is either rare/raw or well/shoeleather. Problem is, the
transisition zone seems to be in nano seconds! I've yet to find "med"
for either of these.

nb
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:
> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.
>
> Shrimp gets pan fried in butter and olive oil, most often with a bit of
> garlic and salt free lemon pepper and mixed in with the final dish once
> it pinks up.
>
> I know that there is a way to properly add Broccoli to a final stir fry
> or steamed veggie mix, but I have yet to get it right. :-P Now I just
> stir it in pre-cooked once the heat is turned off.
> Cooking it by itself and then adding it once all else is done has been
> easier and more successful, and it works fine flavor-wise in the final
> dish.
>
> Mushrooms are easy. They don't seem to care. ;-) I may cook them with
> either one for extra flavor, or start them in the original dish that I
> was preparing in the first place.
>
> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
> stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
> rest of the food.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> I just hate food that has had the "life" cooked out of it. ;-p
> Seems to be harder to digest too, especially eggs. Or it just loses
> flavor and texture to the point you may as well not have bothered.

The main reason home cooks overcook food is that they tend to cook
everythijng in high gear, full out, at the highest temperature they
can achieve... because they actually believe foodtv is about cooking,
it's not, it's primarily about selling products... and few, very few
are good enough for that kind of cooking plus they don't possess the
equipment (remember, commercial *style* appliances are not commercial
appliances).

Eggs are the easiest food on the planet to cook, just keep repeating
to yourself, eggs don't get stir fried - eggs don't get stir fried
eggs - don't get stir fried... low heat and keep yer pea pickers
off!

And you never ever boil shrimp, shrimp is simmered, better poached...
fried shrimp get cooked like eggs, gently (no one likes blackened
shrimp). If your shrimp turn out tough anyway it's because they were
frozen.

Broccoli is two different vegetables, crowns and stems, those get
cooked separately... if you want to serve them together start cooking
the stems first, half way through add the crowns.

Cooking is easy, just engage thinker.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 1:16?pm, "Nancy Young" > wrote:
> "Omelet" > wrote
>
> > Anyone else?

> Angel hair pasta is tricky for me.

Easy, once you start do not leave the stove, not even to refill your
wine glass.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 11, 3:30?pm, "Peter" > wrote:
> "Chatty Cathy" > wrote in message

> > Omelet wrote:
> >> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.

> > For me, calamari (especially 'rings') - DH gets that job

> > --
> > Cheers
> > Chatty Cathy

> Calamari and other squid and octopus all seems to have a life of their own
> when being cooked. However, I went to a chinese buffet for the first time
> in about 15 years yesterday, and they had peppered baby octopus cooked to
> perfection, I ate a good two plates full.

Testicles snd all?

Sheldon Testosterone

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet wrote:

> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.
>
> Shrimp gets pan fried in butter and olive oil, most often with a bit of
> garlic and salt free lemon pepper and mixed in with the final dish once
> it pinks up.

Chicken breasts can be easily overcooked. While they take longer to cook
than veggies they go from undercooked to overcooked very quickly, which
usually leads to tough, dry, flavourless meat. Asparagus IMO needs to be
cooked, but not limp. Brussels Sprouts are delicious when cooked only
until slightly crunchy, after which they develop a nasty flavour. But I
think maybe the most commonly overcooked vegetable is spinach. Like
sprouts, it is good until it is overcooked and then it is nasty.

> I know that there is a way to properly add Broccoli to a final stir fry
> or steamed veggie mix, but I have yet to get it right. :-P Now I just
> stir it in pre-cooked once the heat is turned off.
> Cooking it by itself and then adding it once all else is done has been
> easier and more successful, and it works fine flavor-wise in the final
> dish.
>
> Mushrooms are easy. They don't seem to care. ;-) I may cook them with
> either one for extra flavor, or start them in the original dish that I
> was preparing in the first place.
>
> Eggs are also easily overcooked! I generally cook them by themselves and
> stir them into a final dish... and it keeps them from sticking to the
> rest of the food.
>
> Anyone else?
>
> I just hate food that has had the "life" cooked out of it. ;-p
> Seems to be harder to digest too, especially eggs. Or it just loses
> flavor and texture to the point you may as well not have bothered.
>
> It's one reason I'm not overly fond of steam tables.
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack Nicholson

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Foods I tend to overcook? Fried eggs. Also, the onions and peppers
when I make fajitas.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Omelet > wrote:

> Here, it's usually shrimp or Broccoli.
>
> I've finally gone to simply cooking those separately.
>
> Broccoli is SO easily cooked to mush; I now just steam it on it's own
> and add it to the final dish. Timing is everything.

Shrimp! A minute too long under the broiler or sizzling in a pan and you
ruin them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Foie gras.

It needs to be seared. It must not be allowed to break or
it will become a puddle of bubbling oil. The difference
between seared and melted is a couple of seconds.

Pasta.

You never can tell from trying one piece if the rest are
the same doneness, and when you think you got it right,
it keeps cooking on the plate.

Fish.

A filet that is too small to take an embedded probe
thermometer is a total gamble.

Microwave popcorn.

I hate that smell of carbonized popcorn.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Omelet > wrote:
>In article >,
> Chatty Cathy > wrote:
>
>> Omelet wrote:

>> > How does he cook them?
>> > I just cook them until they turn the right "golden" color in the deep
>> > fryer. I've also stir fried squid and timed it for 3 minutes.

>> He does them in the wok - in a little oil - very hot and very fast. I
>> have tried to get it right, have watched plenty, but just don't have the
>> "knack" - sigh. Mine always turns out like rubber.

>Overcooking. :-)
>
>Cut the time, try using a timer?
>I had to do that to get them right.

3 minutes actually sounds a tad long for squids.

--Blair
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Omelet" > wrote in message
news
<snip>

> Anyone else?
>
> I just hate food that has had the "life" cooked out of it. ;-p
> Seems to be harder to digest too, especially eggs. Or it just loses
> flavor and texture to the point you may as well not have bothered.
>
> It's one reason I'm not overly fond of steam tables.

Pasta! That's got to be the worst. Hate, hate, hate mushy pasta.