Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing fresh mint

What is the correct way to do this....I have been buying quite a bit
lately, one bunch at a time, and I wash it and wrap it in paper towels.
Then I put it in a baggie and refrigerate in the fruit drawer. Is there
a better way? It doesn't seem to last very long.
TIA and have a great 4th,
Ellie

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 11:21?pm, wrote:
> What is the correct way to do this....I have been buying quite a bit
> lately, one bunch at a time, and I wash it and wrap it in paper towels.
> Then I put it in a baggie and refrigerate in the fruit drawer. Is there
> a better way? It doesn't seem to last very long.
> TIA and have a great 4th,
> Ellie

Plant mint in a pot and snip as needed.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 2, 7:21 pm, wrote:
> What is the correct way to do this....I have been buying quite a bit
> lately, one bunch at a time, and I wash it and wrap it in paper towels.
> Then I put it in a baggie and refrigerate in the fruit drawer. Is there
> a better way? It doesn't seem to last very long.
> TIA and have a great 4th,
> Ellie

Ellie,

I grow both mint and basil, and when I've cut extra, I stick it on the
counter in a glass of water, just like Peter, etc. The only thing I
want to add is that you're treating it like cut flowers. That means
make sure the stems are trimmed so they can absorb water. And any
leaves that are sitting in the water will rot. The leaves in the
water will be fine for a day, or maybe two tops. After that, they're
going to rot and make the rest of the leaves not last as long. When
they're on the counter, they also add a nice scent to the kitchen and
house.

And both basil and mint can be used in all sorts of things. Somebody
recently told me they put basil in lemonaid. I've put in mint and
it's great. But basil? I'll have to give it a try. Both are good in
green salads, stir fries, poached fish, etc., etc., etc.

Hope this helps,

Ken

Posted to rec.food.cooking

>> If it has the stem still attached to the leaves just put it in a glass
>> of water and set it on the kitchen window sill. You can pinch off
>> leaves for use for up to two weeks. If not, freeze it in ice cube
>> trays and use it in iced tea, ice water, lemonade, etc.
>>
>> George

> You left out the Mint Juleps, unless that is covered under "etc"

Or Mojitos. In the July Sunset magazine there are recipes using mojito,
margarita and something else as marinades. The mojito shrimp sounds
really good.

--
Queenie

*** Be the change you wish to see in the world ***
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen wrote:

>> You left out the Mint Juleps, unless that is covered under "etc"
>>

> Or Mojitos.

One of my most favorite drinks in the world!! So refreshing, right up
there with a good Gin and Tonic.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MayQueen wrote:

>>> If it has the stem still attached to the leaves just put it in a glass
>>> of water and set it on the kitchen window sill. You can pinch off
>>> leaves for use for up to two weeks. If not, freeze it in ice cube
>>> trays and use it in iced tea, ice water, lemonade, etc.
>>>
>>> George

>> You left out the Mint Juleps, unless that is covered under "etc"
>>

> Or Mojitos. In the July Sunset magazine there are recipes using mojito,
> margarita and something else as marinades. The mojito shrimp sounds
> really good.

I don't really know much about alcoholic beverages. I messed up my liver
30 years ago just drinking sour mash with a splash of branch water.

George