Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing fresh Mint in fridge (not interested in freezing)

Accoridng to his site, storing mint in fridge , tehre are to ways:
- Paper Towel Method
- Jar method

What do tou think of Paper towel method? It instructs to keep it on
the shelf unless teh fridge i kept very cold, not in the crisper and
says it will last upwards of 2 weeks.

I keep the temp setting in the fridge at exactly on the stick between
6&7. Should I keep in the fridge of crisper? Should I set the temp to
9 and keep the mint at 9 but that might freeze the eggs.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 11:37*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:

http://www.ehow.com/how_4588860_store-fresh-mint.html

> Accoridng to this site, storing mint in fridge , tehre are to ways:
> - Paper Towel Method
> - Jar method
>
> What do tou think of Paper towel method? *It instructs to keep it on
> the shelf unless teh fridge i kept very cold, not in the crisper and
> says it will last upwards of 2 weeks.
>
> I keep the temp setting in the fridge at exactly on the stick between
> 6&7. *Should I keep in the fridge of crisper? Should I set the temp to
> 9 and keep the mint at 9 but that might freeze the eggs.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 11:43*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
> On Jul 4, 11:37*am, Manda Ruby > wrote:
>
> http://www.ehow.com/how_4588860_store-fresh-mint.html
>

> > Accoridng to this site, storing mint in fridge , tehre are to ways:
> > - Paper Towel Method - Jar method

> > What do tou think of Paper towel method? *It instructs to keep it on
> > the shelf unless teh fridge i kept very cold, not in the crisper and
> > says it will last upwards of 2 weeks.

I have kept the leaves from the mint I grow in my kitchen window for a
bit past three weeks. Simply rinsed, salad spinner diedy, laid across
a paper towel to loosley roll up, then sealed into a "green bag."
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:48:53 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> I have kept the leaves from the mint I grow in my kitchen window for a
> bit past three weeks. Simply rinsed, salad spinner diedy, laid across
> a paper towel to loosley roll up, then sealed into a "green bag."
> ...Picky

In the *window*? I'm surprised it hasn't cooked... or doesn't that
window get sun?

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf > wrote:

>On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 12:48:53 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse

>> I have kept the leaves from the mint I grow in my kitchen window for a
>> bit past three weeks. Simply rinsed, salad spinner diedy, laid across
>> a paper towel to loosley roll up, then sealed into a "green bag."
>> ...Picky

>In the *window*? I'm surprised it hasn't cooked... or doesn't that
>window get sun?

I'm presently growing some mint in the front window box, which
gets morning sun but shade in the afternoon. It's doing well,
but the leaves seem thicker/tougher than one normally expects
from mint.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 1:40*pm, Sqwertz > wrote:
> On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 11:37:07 -0700 (PDT), Manda Ruby wrote:
> > I keep the temp setting in the fridge at exactly on the stick between
> > 6&7. *Should I keep in the fridge of crisper? Should I set the temp to
> > 9 and keep the mint at 9 but that might freeze the eggs.

> <snork> *You have to be a troll. *A very sick one desperate for
> attention.

Let it out. Let all your anger from your miserable life out. In
another word, take it (your anger) out on others like the majority of
the people on usenet do and provide proof what an idiot you are.

> -sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 1:54*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> sf > wrote:
> >On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 20:21:15 +0000 (UTC), (Steve
> >> I'm presently growing some mint in the front window box, which
> >> gets morning sun but shade in the afternoon. *It's doing well,
> >> but the leaves seem thicker/tougher than one normally expects
> >> from mint.

> >I think mint likes lots of water and dappled shade. *I know it did
> >very well under a shade (probably the wrong word) that was placed over
> >a leaky water pump down at my mother's place in san diego county - and
> >it stayed in the shade, didn't creep out at all.

> >Maybe your mint would do better if you constructed a little shadecloth
> >awning to protect it from the sun.

> Yep. *I have a second, nearly completely shady location for it
> to grow in. *I only put some in the window box because I was running
> out of ornamental plants to put there.
>
> Steve

About 10 years ago, in Houston, I grew mint and cinlantro. Mint grew
so well but I didn;t know much about Thai cooking and in fact, nany
type of cooking.

I tend to think about making Thai food in summer. Wish I had planted
mint and Thai basil this past Spring. Is it too late to plant them?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 4, 1:15*pm, sf > wrote:

> In the *window*? *I'm surprised it hasn't cooked... or doesn't that
> window get sun?

Ahah! That is probably why my plant has, only yesterday, dried it's
own leaves and the stems dried up. The kitchen window gets only a bit
of morning sun, but I am in the So. Cal. High Desert where the days
now are at least 100 degrees by noon. I cut the stems down to dirt
level where there are quite alive baby leaves. And now I will put a
sun block between the plant and the window to see if it may survive.
Thanks, sf! ...Picky

Posted to rec.food.cooking

amandaF wrote:

> I tend to think about making Thai food in summer. Wish I had planted mint
> and Thai basil this past Spring. Is it too late to plant them?

If your local nursery has the plants, then it's not too late.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 4 Jul 2010 18:36:41 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

>On Jul 4, 1:15*pm, sf > wrote:
>
>> In the *window*? *I'm surprised it hasn't cooked... or doesn't that
>> window get sun?

>Ahah! That is probably why my plant has, only yesterday, dried it's
>own leaves and the stems dried up. The kitchen window gets only a bit
>of morning sun, but I am in the So. Cal. High Desert where the days
>now are at least 100 degrees by noon. I cut the stems down to dirt
>level where there are quite alive baby leaves. And now I will put a
>sun block between the plant and the window to see if it may survive.
>Thanks, sf! ...Picky

Good luck, Picky!

--
I love cooking with wine.
Sometimes I even put it in the food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

JeanineAlyse > wrote:
>sf > wrote:
>
>> In the *window*? *I'm surprised it hasn't cooked... or doesn't that
>> window get sun?

>Ahah! That is probably why my plant has, only yesterday, dried it's
>own leaves and the stems dried up. The kitchen window gets only a bit
>of morning sun, but I am in the So. Cal. High Desert where the days
>now are at least 100 degrees by noon. I cut the stems down to dirt
>level where there are quite alive baby leaves. And now I will put a
>sun block between the plant and the window to see if it may survive.
>Thanks, sf! ...Picky

Mint is easy to grow in the ground but doesn't do well in pots. I
have more mint growing outside than any ten people could possibly use
and I don't like mint in food.
http://i48.tinypic.com/skz43o.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jul 5, 7:23*am, brooklyn1 > wrote:
> Mint is easy to grow in the ground but doesn't do well in pots. *I
> have more mint growing outside than any ten people could possibly use
> and I don't like mint in food.http://i48.tinypic.com/skz43o.jpg

I was not sure I'd like mint in anything, but I bought the little
plant because I like the scent of it in the kitchen window, I have
since found that I do like just a little of it in both leafy green
salads and in my "everything" pasta salads as well.
....Picky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 5 Jul 2010 08:36:07 -0700 (PDT), JeanineAlyse
> wrote:

> I was not sure I'd like mint in anything, but I bought the little
> plant because I like the scent of it in the kitchen window, I have
> since found that I do like just a little of it in both leafy green
> salads and in my "everything" pasta salads as well.
> ...Picky

How long did it take to train yourself to remember to use it? I have
a huge pot of basil in my kitchen window and so far have forgotten I
have it more than I remember.

--
Forget the health food. I need all the preservatives I can get.