Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Storing Fresh Pineapple

After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the refrigerator in
a plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about a week it begins to
ferment and tastes bad.

Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag. It seems
to work much better that the refrigerator trick. Anybody else tried this
or have another way of storing this?

Thanks
EJ in NJ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"EJ Willson" > wrote in message
> After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the refrigerator in a
> plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about a week it begins to ferment
> and tastes bad.
>
> Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag. It seems to
> work much better that the refrigerator trick. Anybody else tried this or
> have another way of storing this?
>
> Thanks
> EJ in NJ

Foodsaver vacuum sealer. Holds for at least two weeks, probably much more
but I've never tried it longer.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
EJ Willson > wrote:

> After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the refrigerator in
> a plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about a week it begins to
> ferment and tastes bad.
>
> Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag. It seems
> to work much better that the refrigerator trick. Anybody else tried this
> or have another way of storing this?
>
> Thanks
> EJ in NJ

You could try lemon juice or citric acid to preserve it if you like the
flavor ok.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 14, 8:01*am, EJ Willson > wrote:
> After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the refrigerator in
> a plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about a week it begins to
> ferment and tastes bad.
>
> Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag. It seems
> to work much better that the refrigerator trick. Anybody else tried this
> or have another way of storing this?
>
> Thanks
> EJ in NJ

EJ,

Why do you trim it all at once? To store most things, you want to
minimize the contact with air. Leave the pineapple as whole as
possible for as long as possible and the skin will be a natural
covering to preserve it. So cut what you need, cover the open part
with a piece of plastic wrap, and put in the fridge.

Hope this helps,

Ken
Posted to rec.food.cooking

EJ Willson wrote:

> After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the refrigerator in
> a plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about a week it begins to
> ferment and tastes bad.
>
> Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag. It seems
> to work much better that the refrigerator trick. Anybody else tried this
> or have another way of storing this?
>
> Thanks
> EJ in NJ

We don't store the cut pineapple in a plastic bag. That's rarely good
for fruit. Keep it in a ceramic bowl and just cover lightly with
plastic. It can still turn brown but won't ferment. At least the fresh
pineapples we buy don't ferment in a week. Pointless to keep any cut
fruit that long anyway. Why not cook part of it?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Arri wrote on Mon, 15 Mar 2010 17:37:12 -0700:

> EJ Willson wrote:
>>
>> After I trim a fresh pineapple I usually store it in the
>> refrigerator in a plastic bag. If it is no eaten within about
>> a week it begins to ferment and tastes bad.
>>
>> Recently I tried freezing the trimmed fruit in a freezer bag.
>> It seems to work much better that the refrigerator trick.
>> Anybody else tried this or have another way of storing this?
>>

>We don't store the cut pineapple in a plastic bag. That's rarely good
>for fruit. Keep it in a ceramic bowl and just cover lightly with
>plastic. It can still turn brown but won't ferment. At least the fresh
>pineapples we buy don't ferment in a week. Pointless to keep any cut

f>ruit that long anyway. Why not cook part of it?

Trader Joe's and other supermarkets sell pineapple slices in sealed
plastic containers. After opening the container, I have eaten the
pineapple within less than three days and I don't know how well it
keeps. I find ripe pineapple irresistible so I am not likely to find out
:-)
--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland