J Derby

Default Cognac recommendation?

Forgive the potential OT post, but with Arnold behind the proverbial
wheel, Napa's bound to follow suit. Anyway, I have tried but one
cognac, very run-o-the-mill, VSOP Courvassier. (sp?!) It is gone, and
I would like to replace it with something else. I live in Utah, but
will be in Vegas in a month or two where the moral code is, er,
different...below is a list of bottles available in Utah, but
suggestions otherwise are welcome, given the circumstances. And are
these priced fairly? Thanks. John

Hine Rare VSOP $41
Frapin VSOP $51
Kelt VSOP $53
Prunier Family Reserve $61
Delamain XO $72
Ferrand Cigarel er Cru $90
Michael Pronay

(J Derby) wrote:

> VSOP Courvassier. (sp?!)

Courvoisier.

M.
Ed Rasimus

On 10 Nov 2003 20:24:57 -0800, (J Derby)
wrote:

>Forgive the potential OT post, but with Arnold behind the proverbial
>wheel, Napa's bound to follow suit. Anyway, I have tried but one
>cognac, very run-o-the-mill, VSOP Courvassier. (sp?!) It is gone, and
>I would like to replace it with something else. I live in Utah, but
>will be in Vegas in a month or two where the moral code is, er,
>different...below is a list of bottles available in Utah, but
>suggestions otherwise are welcome, given the circumstances. And are
>these priced fairly? Thanks. John
>
>Hine Rare VSOP $41
>Frapin VSOP $51
>Kelt VSOP $53
>Prunier Family Reserve $61
>Delamain XO $72
>Ferrand Cigarel er Cru $90

You don't say what you like or don't like in a cognac. Courvoisier
VSOP is a reasonable example of the breed, aimed at a mass market,
nose-to-nose with Hennessey, Martell, and Remy-Martin. They all shoot
for about $35-40 for VS and $45-50 for VSOP in the US. There are also
XO versions of each marque that run around $100.

I've enjoyed the Hine "Rare & Delicate" for several years. It's a very
light style of cognac that doesn't burn the hair out of your nostrils
if you swirl and sniff and doesn't attack your taste buds like an
early morning napalm strike. Many, however seek a more intense
experience.

Kelt is quite good, but the "Tour du Monde" business seems to be so
much marketing hype. Do they really ship it around the world on a boat
to have the sea voyage pitching and rolling massage the flavors into
smooth drinkability? Well, if driving the right car can make me
attractive to the right girl, I suppose I'll swallow that one as well.

The Delamain XO is a more intense experience and certainly inexpensive
for an XO. But, does it have the smoothness on the palate to accompany
the deeper flavors? I'd opt for a higher priced sip if I were into XO.

You might explore other options for similar drinks. I like Larrisingle
Armagnac, particularly the XO and I'm a great fan of Spanish (not
Mexican) brandies. Commonly available are Carlos I at about $40 and my
current favorite, Cardenal Mendoza at about $45.

Explore, enjoy. YMMV.

Beaker

On 10 Nov 2003 20:24:57 -0800, J Derby quoth:

If you're just trying new things, splurge and go for an XO level.
(Not always specifically called "XO", and all XO's are certainly not alike)
Might as well see what "good" cognac really is. (or isn't) Prices will
vary a lot, from $50 to $100. There isn't much on the internet in the
way of recommendations so you're pretty much left to trying things on
your own. Best value I found was Planat XO at about $40, which I like as
well as anything at $100. The brands you listed are well-known.
The Ferrand is supposed complement Cigars - I'm not quite sure how they
tweak it for that.

bkr
Justin

You allude to Napa in your post . . . well last year a Napa brandy distiller
(RMS Distillery) closed up shop when one of the parents (Remy Martin) pulled
the plug on the operation a little over a year ago. The RMS XO always
intrigued me . . . it was from 100% pinot noir, 10 years in the barrel. You
might find some still in dsitribution . . . but probably hard to find. The
distillery site was purchased by Beringer, who intends to put some winery
there (what label I do not know).

justin

"J Derby" > wrote in message
om...
> Forgive the potential OT post, but with Arnold behind the proverbial
> wheel, Napa's bound to follow suit. Anyway, I have tried but one
> cognac, very run-o-the-mill, VSOP Courvassier. (sp?!) It is gone, and
> I would like to replace it with something else. I live in Utah, but
> will be in Vegas in a month or two where the moral code is, er,
> different...below is a list of bottles available in Utah, but
> suggestions otherwise are welcome, given the circumstances. And are
> these priced fairly? Thanks. John
>
> Hine Rare VSOP $41
> Frapin VSOP $51
> Kelt VSOP $53
> Prunier Family Reserve $61
> Delamain XO $72
> Ferrand Cigarel er Cru $90

Cognac [email protected] General Cooking 53 27-06-2007 08:34 PM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 5 06-04-2005 02:19 AM
Value on Cognac? Chester Perry Wine 0 04-04-2005 06:50 PM
Cognac question Sigen 3 Winemaking 2 21-12-2003 08:39 PM
Cognac question :-) Sigen 3 Wine 3 21-12-2003 06:27 AM