Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Hey Dave, check out my shopping cart!

I bought a bag of Jay's kettle-fried potato chips and a gallon of skim milk!
LOL

*But* I also got a couple of pork steaks to throw on the grill later in the
week. Also some catfish fillets and crawfish tail meat (gonna make one of
my signature dishes, Catfish Acadian, next weekend, recipe to follow). I'll

My cart also included vegetables. A bunch of broccoli, a head of
cauliflower, asparagus (both white and green) and the yellow corn on the cob
looked pretty good for this time of year so I grabbed three ears. I'll
probably grill it next to the pork steaks. Somehow pork and corn seem to go
together, don't ask me why.

Oh, and I got some baby artichoke hearts. I very rarely see those! They
will be rinsed then dredged in sea salt and browned in olive oil. I saw a
woman (Polish, maybe?) do that on PBS on the show 'Jewish Cooking with Joan
Nathan' a few years back and man are they tasty that way!

Catfish Acadian

2 lbs. catfish fillets
seasoned flour
olive oil
butter
diced onions and garlic or shallots
diced bell pepper
diced celery
1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
4 large shrimp, chopped
whole cream
salt & cayenne pepper

Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
until lightly browned and tender. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another
pan, saute the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and
celery in butter until tender. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and
saute until just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little
cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the catfish and serve. Serves 4.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
> 4 large shrimp, chopped
> whole cream
> salt & cayenne pepper
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
> until lightly browned and tender. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another
> pan, saute the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and
> celery in butter until tender. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and
> saute until just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little
> cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the catfish and serve. Serves 4.
>
> Jill

Sounds interesting, and pretty low carb. :-)

I agree that corn goes well with pork. Corn on the cob is slowly coming
into season too and the price is dropping. I like white better than
yellow, and the mixed is even better.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Artichokes (was Hey Dave, check out my shopping cart!)

jmcquown > wrote:

> Oh, and I got some baby artichoke hearts. I very rarely see those! They
> will be rinsed then dredged in sea salt and browned in olive oil. I saw a
> woman (Polish, maybe?) do that on PBS on the show 'Jewish Cooking with Joan
> Nathan' a few years back and man are they tasty that way!

That sounds a bit like a simplified version of the (still fairly simple)
carciofi alla romana, so the woman was probably from Rome. However,
this is a bit strange, as there are also the famous and rather more
elaborate carciofi alla giudìa, also from Rome, which would be
presumably more appropriate on a Jewish cooking show. In any case, any
attempt to reproduce either dish outside of Italy and particularly of
Rome would result in no more than an approximation, as the artichokes
used are different. In Rome, it is the purplish cimaroli (top-growing),
also called mammole (moms), grown mostly in Ladispoli near Rome (where a
Sagra del Carciofo, a festival of artichokes, is celebrated every April)
that are used for either dish. Moreover, only baby artichokes called
figlioli (children) are supposed to be used for carciofi alla giudìa and
even smaller specimens called nipoti (grandchildren) are used for
carciofi alla romana. For both dishes, whole artichokes, just trimmed
of the tough outer leaves, are used, not just hearts. The hearts, by
the way, are not fuzzy at all. Also, carciofi alla romana are properly
prepared with mentuccia, a kind of wild mint that grows only in the Rome
region and has no counterpart anywhere else, as far as I know.

Victor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Victor Sack wrote:
> jmcquown > wrote:
>
>> Oh, and I got some baby artichoke hearts. I very rarely see those!
>> They will be rinsed then dredged in sea salt and browned in olive
>> oil. I saw a woman (Polish, maybe?) do that on PBS on the show
>> 'Jewish Cooking with Joan Nathan' a few years back and man are they
>> tasty that way!

> That sounds a bit like a simplified version of the (still fairly
> simple) carciofi alla romana, so the woman was probably from Rome.
> However, this is a bit strange, as there are also the famous and
> rather more elaborate carciofi alla giudìa, also from Rome, which
> would be presumably more appropriate on a Jewish cooking show. In
> any case, any attempt to reproduce either dish outside of Italy and
> particularly of Rome would result in no more than an approximation,
> as the artichokes used are different. In Rome, it is the purplish
> cimaroli (top-growing), also called mammole (moms), grown mostly in
> Ladispoli near Rome (where a Sagra del Carciofo, a festival of
> artichokes, is celebrated every April) that are used for either dish.
> Moreover, only baby artichokes called figlioli (children) are
> supposed to be used for carciofi alla giudìa and even smaller
> specimens called nipoti (grandchildren) are used for carciofi alla
> romana. For both dishes, whole artichokes, just trimmed of the tough
> outer leaves, are used, not just hearts. The hearts, by the way, are
> not fuzzy at all. Also, carciofi alla romana are properly prepared
> with mentuccia, a kind of wild mint that grows only in the Rome
> region and has no counterpart anywhere else, as far as I know.
>
> Victor

Interesting, thanks Victor! Actually, I typed artichoke hearts but they are
whole artichokes, very small. Don't know what my fingers were thinking!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> I bought a bag of Jay's kettle-fried potato chips and a gallon of skim milk!
> LOL
>
> *But* I also got a couple of pork steaks to throw on the grill later in the
> week. Also some catfish fillets and crawfish tail meat (gonna make one of
> my signature dishes, Catfish Acadian, next weekend, recipe to follow). I'll
>

> My cart also included vegetables. A bunch of broccoli, a head of
> cauliflower, asparagus (both white and green) and the yellow corn on the cob
> looked pretty good for this time of year so I grabbed three ears. I'll
> probably grill it next to the pork steaks. Somehow pork and corn seem to go
> together, don't ask me why.
>
> Oh, and I got some baby artichoke hearts. I very rarely see those! They
> will be rinsed then dredged in sea salt and browned in olive oil. I saw a
> woman (Polish, maybe?) do that on PBS on the show 'Jewish Cooking with Joan
> Nathan' a few years back and man are they tasty that way!
>
> Catfish Acadian
>
> 2 lbs. catfish fillets
> seasoned flour
> olive oil
> butter
> diced onions and garlic or shallots
> diced bell pepper
> diced celery
> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
> 4 large shrimp, chopped
> whole cream
> salt & cayenne pepper
>
> Lightly coat the catfish fillets in seasoned flour. Pan fry in olive oil
> until lightly browned and tender. Plate and hold in a warm oven. In another
> pan, saute the onion and garlic (or shallots) with the bell pepper and
> celery in butter until tender. Add the crawfish tail meat and shrimp and
> saute until just pink. Stir in some cream; season with salt and a little
> cayenne pepper. Pour this mixture over the catfish and serve. Serves 4.
>
> Jill

That sounds almost simple enough for me to try!
I've recently been looking into the making of crayfish traps,
coincidentally enough... The last trout I caught on a dry fly had a
whole baby crayfish in it's stomach, so I know we've got crayfish here!
Any tips on the quantity of whole (heavy?) cream your recipe might use?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

none wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:
>> *But* I also got a couple of pork steaks to throw on the grill later
>> in the week. Also some catfish fillets and crawfish tail meat
>> (gonna make one of my signature dishes, Catfish Acadian, next
>> weekend, recipe to follow).
>>
>> Catfish Acadian
>>
>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets
>> seasoned flour
>> olive oil
>> butter
>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>> diced bell pepper
>> diced celery
>> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
>> 4 large shrimp, chopped
>> whole cream
>> salt & cayenne pepper
>>

> That sounds almost simple enough for me to try!
> I've recently been looking into the making of crayfish traps,
> coincidentally enough... The last trout I caught on a dry fly had a
> whole baby crayfish in it's stomach, so I know we've got crayfish
> here! Any tips on the quantity of whole (heavy?) cream your recipe
> might use?

Sorry, I just eyeball the amount (same with the butter, olive oil and salt &
cayenne pepper). I'd say about 8 fluid oz. You don't really want too much
sauce.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 6 Jun 2007 04:09:44 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

> I typed artichoke hearts but they are
>whole artichokes, very small. Don't know what my fingers were thinking!

Your fingers have a mind of their own.

BTDT

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:
> none wrote:
>> jmcquown wrote:
>>> *But* I also got a couple of pork steaks to throw on the grill later
>>> in the week. Also some catfish fillets and crawfish tail meat
>>> (gonna make one of my signature dishes, Catfish Acadian, next
>>> weekend, recipe to follow).
>>>
>>> Catfish Acadian
>>>
>>> 2 lbs. catfish fillets
>>> seasoned flour
>>> olive oil
>>> butter
>>> diced onions and garlic or shallots
>>> diced bell pepper
>>> diced celery
>>> 1/2 c. crawfish tail meat
>>> 4 large shrimp, chopped
>>> whole cream
>>> salt & cayenne pepper
>>>

>> That sounds almost simple enough for me to try!
>> I've recently been looking into the making of crayfish traps,
>> coincidentally enough... The last trout I caught on a dry fly had a
>> whole baby crayfish in it's stomach, so I know we've got crayfish
>> here! Any tips on the quantity of whole (heavy?) cream your recipe
>> might use?

> Sorry, I just eyeball the amount (same with the butter, olive oil and salt &
> cayenne pepper). I'd say about 8 fluid oz. You don't really want too much
> sauce.
>
> Jill

Ok, I'll just "wing it" if I can get my act together around here and try
something more time-consuming than heating up frozen cheese ravioli from
a bag, with marinara sauce from a jar. I'm ashamed of myself, but my
stomach is full! I'm also still trying to figure out why farm-raised
catfish at Costco is more expensive per pound than the other fish. Trout
are the cheapest, then salmon, dover sole, and then catfish. There was a
time when catfish was po' folk food!
In other news: I just noticed that the Festival brand canned sliced
mushrooms I bought at Costco are a "Product of China". Hmmm... Maybe
I'll take them back to the store for a refund.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
none > wrote:

> I just noticed that the Festival brand canned sliced
> mushrooms I bought at Costco are a "Product of China". Hmmm... Maybe
> I'll take them back to the store for a refund.

Why?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

What's in your 'seasoned flour'?

I assume salt and pepper, but what else?

Al