Old 21-09-2006, 03:52 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Shopping cart thief

I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
that.

On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.

I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

nancy

Old 21-09-2006, 04:42 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve Wertz" wrote

On Thu, 21 Sep 2006 10:52:06 -0400, Nancy Young wrote:

I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
that.

I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.

Oh, I hope it was the woman you attacked. (laugh) Hey, what
was she thinking, it's one thing to walk off with someone else's
cart accidentally, it's another to take the stuff out so you can use
the cart. That's ridiculous.

nancy

Old 21-09-2006, 05:44 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

Oh, I hope it was the woman you attacked. (laugh) Hey, what
was she thinking, it's one thing to walk off with someone else's
cart accidentally, it's another to take the stuff out so you can use
the cart. That's ridiculous.

Some stores make you put a quarter in the cart to unlatch it from cart
corral. You get your quarter back when you return it. In those cases,
the cart is worth cash money!

--Lia

Old 21-09-2006, 05:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
that.

LOL. BTDT. I was the "thief" - once. Took the wrong one. Luckily I
realized it after putting only one or two more items in "my" cart. I
also said bad words. I looked around for somebody "muttering", didn't
see anybody, so headed back to where I had left the cart, found mine,
dumped my stuff in it and left the "stolen" cart back there... Whew!!!

On the way out, I was paid back for laughing. I put my cart
by the rest by the store, it kept rolling no matter how I angled it.
Finally, it's not going anywhere. As I'm walking to my car with
8 bags in 2 hands, I hear it coming for me. Fast.

I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

You were sorta lucky there - pinkies usually heal by themselves . Had
my car scratched more than once by those "runaways" (and once it was not
even my cart!) sigh But my worst moan about carts is the ones that
have that "one wheel" that won't turn, no-way no-how.... Grrrrrr. You
either have to take the damn thing back to the bay and get another one
(but usually there is no other cart in sight) or just put up with it.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 21-09-2006, 06:05 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Chatty Cathy" wrote

Nancy Young wrote:
I had to laugh, as I was shopping just now, I came upon
a woman muttering about her cart. I hear 'this isn't my stuff,
this isn't my cart! I just put my cart right here! and someone
took it! Oh man, glad it wasn't me. We were just talking about
that.

LOL. BTDT. I was the "thief" - once. Took the wrong one. Luckily I
realized it after putting only one or two more items in "my" cart. I also
said bad words. I looked around for somebody "muttering", didn't see
anybody, so headed back to where I had left the cart, found mine, dumped
my stuff in it and left the "stolen" cart back there... Whew!!!

(laugh) And get out of Dodge before anyone sees you.

I turned around and wham! got my hand between the racing cart
and the front of a gold Mercedes. Bad words. I hurt my pinky.
What, did they oil the friggin cart wheels this week? I was so mad.
But, hey, the car didn't get scratched.

You were sorta lucky there - pinkies usually heal by themselves .

Oh, this is the one I really hurt a few years ago and hasn't been
right since. That's okay, it's puffy, there won't even be anything
left to whine about in a couple hours, as you say.

Had my car scratched more than once by those "runaways" (and once it was
not even my cart!) sigh But my worst moan about carts is the ones that
have that "one wheel" that won't turn, no-way no-how.... Grrrrrr. You
either have to take the damn thing back to the bay and get another one
(but usually there is no other cart in sight) or just put up with it.

Gawd, I used to just cringe when I would get one of those. It would wait
until I was about 30 feet into the store, lock up and screeeeech everywhere
you went. So embarrassing. They keep them in better repair these days, I
guess, that hasn't happened to me in forever.

nancy

Old 21-09-2006, 06:18 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
"Chatty Cathy" wrote

Oh, this is the one I really hurt a few years ago and hasn't been
right since. That's okay, it's puffy, there won't even be anything
left to whine about in a couple hours, as you say.

Didn't realize that. Murphy's Law... it would have to be *that* pinky -
Ouch! sorry Nancy...

Gawd, I used to just cringe when I would get one of those. It would wait
until I was about 30 feet into the store, lock up and screeeeech everywhere
you went. So embarrassing. They keep them in better repair these days, I
guess, that hasn't happened to me in forever.

Dunno. Murphy seems to strike me too... On any given day that I am in a
hurry, (i.e. just need to get this shopping done now!) I get one of
*those* carts. Must have been real bad in a previous life

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Old 21-09-2006, 06:28 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had my cart taken. I rolled the cart that was not mine around the
store until I found the person who took it. Boy, were they embarrassed. No
need to be really.

Lynne

. ..

Old 21-09-2006, 06:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I left my cart at the end of an isle once (like I usually do in
crowded stores), and when I went back, all the stuff from my cart
is sitting on an end-cap next to an empty hand-basket.

I looked around and saw this lady and her daughter eye me just as
she headed up an isle with a cart. I caught up to her, stopped
her (my) cart, emptied out all her stuff into the middle of the
isle as she stood there wild-eyed. I announced to about 5 other
shoppers nearby: "Watch out for this lady or she'll steal your
cart like she just did mine".

At least I *think* I had the right culprit judging from her
behavior and reaction. Otherwise I would have looked pretty
silly. Who knows - maybe she wasn't one who stole my cart?
shrug We'll never know.

Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

-sw

Old 21-09-2006, 08:33 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

[...]

Damn. You seriously had a set of brass ones. ;-)
Where did you buy them just to keep it on topice?
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson
Old 21-09-2006, 08:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Steve Wertz wrote:

On 21 Sep 2006 10:36:28 -0700, -bwg wrote:

Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

On one of those Candid Camera-like shows they had people that
would shop from other people carts. You see something in
sombody's cart, you just take move it over to yours.

I did that once, too.

*******!

I once had the _perfect_ Christmas gift picked out and in my cart, and
it was the last one...

Turned my back for a couple of minutes to do more shopping, and it was
gone from my cart. :-(

I was SO ****ed, I'd have embarrassed the hell out of the person that
did it! Might even have pulled out the pepper spray.

It was 3 days before Christmas.......
--
Peace!
Om

-- Jack Nicholson

Old 21-09-2006, 08:39 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Wertz wrote:
On 21 Sep 2006 10:36:28 -0700, -bwg wrote:

Sounds like it would be fun to do it to arbitrarily chosen shoppers.

On one of those Candid Camera-like shows they had people that
would shop from other people carts. You see something in
sombody's cart, you just take move it over to yours.

I did that once, too.

I did that once, with Parmesan cheese - couldn't find it anywhere in
the store and about the 3rd time around, saw some in an unattended
cart, so I just lifted it out and put it in mine.

I was embarrassed about doing it, but not enough to put it back. I
thought my co-workers would die laughing when I mentioned what I had
done.

N.

Old 21-09-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

I've had one of those little hand baskets taken from me when I had set
it down to look for something. All my small purchases were dumped out,
I looked for the jerk who took it but didn't see any guilty parties.

My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
you please. I get some awfully dirty looks but repeat remove the cart.
My other pet peeve is the lazy assholes who leave their carts right
where they've unloaded them in the parking lot even though the cart
return area is just two aisles away.

GRRRRRRRRR

Old 21-09-2006, 09:54 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

itsjoannotjoann wrote:
I've had one of those little hand baskets taken from me when I had set
it down to look for something. All my small purchases were dumped out,
I looked for the jerk who took it but didn't see any guilty parties.

My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
you please. I get some awfully dirty looks but repeat remove the cart.
My other pet peeve is the lazy assholes who leave their carts right
where they've unloaded them in the parking lot even though the cart
return area is just two aisles away.

GRRRRRRRRR

My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone about
it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of item lazy
person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty person can
hear my comment.

Old 21-09-2006, 10:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"itsjoannotjoann" wrote

My two biggest gripes are the folks who leave their cart in the check
out line like that is the proper place. I always bring it to their
attention that's not where they got it, I'm not moving it, take it with
you please.

You mean, people do that?! Someone did that to me once, they
walked off leaving their cart there in the checkout aisle. Hello, who
am I your servant? I'm supposed to move it? I was *steamed*.

nancy

Old 22-09-2006, 01:37 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 21 Sep 2006 13:54:45 -0700, "
wrote:

My pet peeve is when I see someone take something they don't want out
of their cart and just stick it anywhere instead of returning it to
where they got it. I've never said anything directly to someone about
it but I have at times said, "Well gee, this (insert name of item lazy
person left) doesn't go here." making sure that the guilty person can
hear my comment.

I'm passive-aggressive, too.