Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Check bottom of cart!

I drink seltzer by the bucket, I buy 12 packs, I can
usually handle 4 at a time. I put three on the bottom
of the cart and keep one up top to scan. I just say,
I have 4 of these and they deal with it.

Twice over all this time, the cashier has alarmedly said,
Do you have something on the bottom of your cart???
Yes, three more of these. Oh, whew, and I'll see this
light flashing right near the edge closest to the cart.
Check cart bottom! Check cart bottom!, something like
that.

Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
the time.

Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?

nancy the nosy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> I drink seltzer by the bucket, I buy 12 packs, I can
> usually handle 4 at a time. I put three on the bottom
> of the cart and keep one up top to scan. I just say,
> I have 4 of these and they deal with it.
>
> Twice over all this time, the cashier has alarmedly said,
> Do you have something on the bottom of your cart???
> Yes, three more of these. Oh, whew, and I'll see this
> light flashing right near the edge closest to the cart.
> Check cart bottom! Check cart bottom!, something like
> that.
>
> Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
> have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
> the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
> the time.
>
> Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?
>
> nancy the nosy

There must be sensors on the product. Our Sobeys cashiers have to
pass meat packages over a de-activator so we don't set off alarms when
we leave the store. Also, I was leaving the parking lot of a new No
Frills store the other day and there was a sign that said their shopping
carts lock if you try to take them from the perimeter of the parking
lot.....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

>> Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
>> have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
>> the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
>> the time.
>>
>> Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?

> There must be sensors on the product. Our Sobeys cashiers have to
> pass meat packages over a de-activator so we don't set off alarms when
> we leave the store.

Huh, interesting. It's just odd to me that it almost never happens.
I could see that, but when I tell them, they don't make me drag
them up and put them on the belt.

> Also, I was leaving the parking lot of a new No
> Frills store the other day and there was a sign that said their shopping
> carts lock if you try to take them from the perimeter of the parking
> lot.....

That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
of reasons.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "biig" > wrote
>
> >> Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
> >> have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
> >> the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
> >> the time.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?

> > There must be sensors on the product. Our Sobeys cashiers have to
> > pass meat packages over a de-activator so we don't set off alarms when
> > we leave the store.

> Huh, interesting. It's just odd to me that it almost never happens.
> I could see that, but when I tell them, they don't make me drag
> them up and put them on the belt.
>
> > Also, I was leaving the parking lot of a new No
> > Frills store the other day and there was a sign that said their shopping
> > carts lock if you try to take them from the perimeter of the parking
> > lot.....

> That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
> of reasons.
>
> nancy

It seems that you mostly see them at apartment buildings. Maybe by
people who don't have a car and rationalize that they will return them
on their next grocery run. A couple of years ago my Mom and I were
scouting out a seniors building for her to move into. They had an
agreement with a nearby grocery store that the seniors could use the
cart to take their groceries home, and then put them in a special spot
to be picked up by the store. .....Sharon

Nancy Young wrote:

> "biig" > wrote
>
> >> Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
> >> have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
> >> the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
> >> the time.
> >>
> >> Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?

> > There must be sensors on the product. Our Sobeys cashiers have to
> > pass meat packages over a de-activator so we don't set off alarms when
> > we leave the store.

> Huh, interesting. It's just odd to me that it almost never happens.
> I could see that, but when I tell them, they don't make me drag
> them up and put them on the belt.
>
> > Also, I was leaving the parking lot of a new No
> > Frills store the other day and there was a sign that said their shopping
> > carts lock if you try to take them from the perimeter of the parking
> > lot.....

> That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
> of reasons.
>
> nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> "biig" > wrote
>
>>Also, I was leaving the parking lot of a new No
>>Frills store the other day and there was a sign that said their shopping
>>carts lock if you try to take them from the perimeter of the parking
>>lot.....

> That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
> of reasons.
>
> nancy

I get my shopping carts at Aldi's. They have a self-service dispenser
right in front of the store that sells carts for 25 cents. It's a heck
of a deal.

(too bad they don't deliver)

Bob :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote

> Nancy Young wrote:

>> That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
>> of reasons.

> I get my shopping carts at Aldi's. They have a self-service dispenser
> right in front of the store that sells carts for 25 cents. It's a heck of
> a deal.

(laugh) That's funny. 25 cents. A bargain, indeed.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote
>

>>Nancy Young wrote:

>>>That's a good idea, annoying that people steal them, for any number
>>>of reasons.

>>I get my shopping carts at Aldi's. They have a self-service dispenser
>>right in front of the store that sells carts for 25 cents. It's a heck of
>>a deal.

> (laugh) That's funny. 25 cents. A bargain, indeed.
>
> nancy

you get the quarter back when you return the cart.the idea is that they
can save money by giving people the incentive to return their carts to
the proper place, eliminating the need to have employees retrieve them.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

email:
anisaerah at s b c global.net

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> I drink seltzer by the bucket, I buy 12 packs, I can
>> usually handle 4 at a time. I put three on the bottom
>> of the cart and keep one up top to scan. I just say,
>> I have 4 of these and they deal with it.
>>
>> Twice over all this time, the cashier has alarmedly said,
>> Do you have something on the bottom of your cart???
>> Yes, three more of these. Oh, whew, and I'll see this
>> light flashing right near the edge closest to the cart.
>> Check cart bottom! Check cart bottom!, something like
>> that.
>>
>> Two questions come up, why does it only rarely notice I
>> have stuff down there and how the heck can it tell? With all
>> the legs and carts going by, a detector would be going off all
>> the time.
>>
>> Perhaps the eye in the sky is spying on the customers?
>>
>> nancy the nosy

> I do this kind of stuff for a living...
>
> Let's say all carts are the same, and everyone, by default, stands at
> roughly the same place in front of the cashier station. The cashier is
> going to know that when a certain part of the cart (let's say, the
> thing you push) reaches a certain point (that chip some moron clipped
> out of the conveyor bed when they dropped an exceptionally hefty and
> hard watermelon).
>
> Let's say a photoeye, or two, or three, or an array cross the checkout
> lane at the bottom of the shopping cart. Let's say those photocells
> are wired 120v with a normally open relay at the end. Break the beam
> on the photoeye, break the 120v circuit, which closes the relay to a
> light on the cart side of the conveyor bed, causing "check under cart"
> to illuminate.
>
> It's really inexpensive, easy to maintain, chimps can install it, and
> ll you need to do is train your checkout girl to know when to look (so
> she doesn't have to know where).

How would one keep children from setting the alarms off?
<I mean, if that's all it would take... kids're always down there in
bottom of the cart territory>

Watch your cart! Nancy Young[_6_] General Cooking 134 25-03-2015 05:44 PM
Man Push Cart Tommy Joe General Cooking 13 16-05-2012 09:02 AM
Man Push Cart notbob General Cooking 2 16-05-2012 05:41 AM
Hey Dave, check out my shopping cart! jmcquown General Cooking 10 17-07-2007 05:08 AM
cart pushing story danny b. General Cooking 3 01-03-2006 03:24 PM