Old 24-05-2013, 03:25 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Revenge of the Shopping Cart

I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Old 24-05-2013, 03:32 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Ha! Serves her right!

Old 24-05-2013, 03:40 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" wrote in message
I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

and THAT is your story? ok, just stick with it. yeah, the wind. yeah.

Old 24-05-2013, 04:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several maneuvers to get
around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should
make her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it
belongs. =p

--
CAPSLOCK–Preventing Login Since 1980.
Old 24-05-2013, 05:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Cheryl" Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several maneuvers
to get
around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should make
her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it belongs.
=p

Now, now. Let us be kind. Maybe she had a shrieking teething infant with
her and a bladder about to explode. Polly

Old 24-05-2013, 10:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/23/2013 10:25 PM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

Maybe she'll go to Aldi's the next time.

I really, truly do not understand why people don't take shopping carts
back to the store. I am grateful I have two good legs. I don't have a
problem returning the cart.

I should note, there are no "cart corrals" at the Publix where I shop.
The building codes here require they not remove trees. In order to have
parking sufficient (and also required by ordinance) for the size of the
store they can't also have cart corrals. So... we are supposed to take
them back to the store. I *always* do that. There is a place for them
lined up outside the entrance. Also a line of carts just inside the store.

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

Jill
Old 24-05-2013, 01:06 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" wrote in message
On Thu, 23 May 2013 22:25:25 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

I went to our local supermarket this evening and it was a bit breezy.
In the row across from where I parked a woman was unloading her cart.
She had a number of bags so I did not wait for it to be empty and
walked to the store entrance. She put the cart on the right side of
her car, blocking the parking spot next to her, then walked around to
the left side and got in.

As she got in and shut the door, a gust of wind caught the cart and
moved it around to the rear quarter panel, just as she backed out.
From where I stood, looked like no serious damage, but a couple of
scratches.

So what did she do after that - did she put the cart away at least
semi-properly (where nobody else will get dinged)?

-sw

Nope, she moved it out of her way, looked at her car and drove away.

Old 24-05-2013, 01:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Polly Esther" wrote in message

"Cheryl" Serves her right! lol I hope she had to make several
maneuvers to get
around it while she backed her car out of the parking spot. Should make
her think it would have just been easier to put the cart where it
belongs. =p

Now, now. Let us be kind. Maybe she had a shrieking teething infant with
her and a bladder about to explode. Polly

She was alone and the store has clean restrooms. She just did not care
about putting the cart back.

Old 24-05-2013, 01:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
..

[...]

I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
bags out of the cart before I leave the store.

However... I confess that I do not push my perfectly good cart into the
lines at cart parking area. I prefer to leave it out and saving the next
customer the hassle of having to wrestle with a line of carts sticking
together, and knowing full well that no one will take it. People prefer
to have to fight with them.

Old 24-05-2013, 01:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

Jill

The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less. I prefer
to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
dings on the car.

Old 24-05-2013, 02:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 8:38 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
"jmcquown" wrote in message

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

Jill

The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less. I prefer
to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
dings on the car.

I absolutely agree. Some denegration is natural with aging but there's
no reason to speed up the process by not walking. People who refuse to
return carts at the grocery store are just plain lazy. Fortunately it
is not a big problem where I shop.

Jill
Old 24-05-2013, 02:17 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 8:37 AM, Dave Smith wrote:
On 24/05/2013 5:02 AM, jmcquown wrote:
What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the
Aldi's thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me
to walk to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in
a handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

I rarely even take the cart out to the parking lot. I use re-usable bags
and rarely have more than four bags of groceries, so I just take the
bags out of the cart before I leave the store.

You're lucky you can get away with only four bags. I live 20 miles away
from the grocery store so I do a big shopping trip about once a month.
Much of it is destined for the freezer. Four bags for me wouldn't cut
it. But no, I don't leave the grocery cart out where it will likely, by
some twist of fate, decide to ding a car.

Jill
Old 24-05-2013, 02:25 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On 5/24/2013 9:17 AM, jmcquown wrote:
[...]

A number of supermarkets have cart collecting bays at several places in
the lot and people do seem to use them around here.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Old 24-05-2013, 02:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

What is so terribly difficult about this concept? As I said in the Aldi's
thread, I'm grateful I have two good legs. It doesn't bother me to walk
to take the cart back. You will also never catch me parking in a
handicapped spot. I also don't drive around in circles looking for
someone to leave just so I can get the closest parking space.

The best way to keep those good legs good is to use them. Mine are not as
good as they used to be, but they only get worse if I walk less.

Ditto. The more I walk, the better my legs (and hip) feel. The
opposite is also true, you wouldn't think sitting around would make
you feel worse, but there you have it.

I prefer
to park away from the busy part of the parking lot as it saves a lot of
dings on the car.

I'm just too lazy to try to park close. I just pull into a spot
away from the other cars and I don't have to wait for anyone.
So annoying to see people causing parking lot traffic jams waiting
for someone to pull out of a spot ... and there's an open spot two
spaces down!

I do the same as someone else mentioned in this thread. Unless there
is something unwieldy to unload, it's amazing how much stuff I can
carry myself and leave the cart at the store.

nancy
Old 24-05-2013, 02:41 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" wrote in message

[...]

Since we retired, Himself does all the carrying ... Suits me g
http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/shop/