Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Kaiser Rolls with Pictures

Today's project was making kaiser rolls.

I make them using my sourdough starter, but I "cheated" this time and added some
active dry yeast. I do that when I'm a little pressed for time and not sure of
the potency of my starter. I shouldn't have worried, as it was only a week since
the last time I refreshed it. Sometimes it's three weeks before I get around to
it.

The recipe I use is roughly based on the one for hard rolls in the Fanny Farmer
cookbook. But I say roughly because I bake bread more by the "seat of the pants"
method. I just use that as a hint for how much water to use and double it, to 3
cups. The amount of flour is by feel, I add yeast if I feel like it, I put in my
sourdough starter. I make the rolls much bigger than the Fanny Farmer recipe.
That one says it yields 18 hard rolls. I'm essentially doubling the recipe and I
get 12 rolls.

The active dry yeast I'm using has an interesting "history". It is close to 4
years old. It used to belong to my father, who passed away about 3-1/2 years
ago. I keep it in the freezer. It's amazing how long it keeps. I would have used
it up long ago, but most of my bread baking is with my sourdough starter and no
added yeast.

Here are pictures of the kaiser rolls and my next batch of sourdough starter,
ready to be stirred down:

Twelve Kaiser Rolls: http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
Sourdough Starter: http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg

Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting them
evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section of
a small tea ball and shake them on.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 12, 9:14 pm, "wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> Today's project was making kaiser rolls.
>
> I make them using my sourdough starter, but I "cheated" this time and added some
> active dry yeast. I do that when I'm a little pressed for time and not sure of
> the potency of my starter. I shouldn't have worried, as it was only a week since
> the last time I refreshed it. Sometimes it's three weeks before I get around to
> it.
>
> The recipe I use is roughly based on the one for hard rolls in the Fanny Farmer
> cookbook. But I say roughly because I bake bread more by the "seat of the pants"
> method. I just use that as a hint for how much water to use and double it, to 3
> cups. The amount of flour is by feel, I add yeast if I feel like it, I put in my
> sourdough starter. I make the rolls much bigger than the Fanny Farmer recipe.
> That one says it yields 18 hard rolls. I'm essentially doubling the recipe and I
> get 12 rolls.
>
> The active dry yeast I'm using has an interesting "history". It is close to 4
> years old. It used to belong to my father, who passed away about 3-1/2 years
> ago. I keep it in the freezer. It's amazing how long it keeps. I would have used
> it up long ago, but most of my bread baking is with my sourdough starter and no
> added yeast.
>
> Here are pictures of the kaiser rolls and my next batch of sourdough starter,
> ready to be stirred down:
>
> Twelve Kaiser Rolls:http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
> Sourdough Starter:http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg
>
> Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting them
> evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section of
> a small tea ball and shake them on.
>
> --
> wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Looking at your starter and lid, do you keep that particular lid on
that particular starter in the refrigerator; and if you do, are you
worried that it will flow over?
Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:14:50 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
wrote:

>Today's project was making kaiser rolls.
>
>I make them using my sourdough starter, but I "cheated" this time and added some
>active dry yeast. I do that when I'm a little pressed for time and not sure of
>the potency of my starter. I shouldn't have worried, as it was only a week since
>the last time I refreshed it. Sometimes it's three weeks before I get around to
>it.
>
>The recipe I use is roughly based on the one for hard rolls in the Fanny Farmer
>cookbook. But I say roughly because I bake bread more by the "seat of the pants"
>method. I just use that as a hint for how much water to use and double it, to 3
>cups. The amount of flour is by feel, I add yeast if I feel like it, I put in my
>sourdough starter. I make the rolls much bigger than the Fanny Farmer recipe.
>That one says it yields 18 hard rolls. I'm essentially doubling the recipe and I
>get 12 rolls.
>
>The active dry yeast I'm using has an interesting "history". It is close to 4
>years old. It used to belong to my father, who passed away about 3-1/2 years
>ago. I keep it in the freezer. It's amazing how long it keeps. I would have used
>it up long ago, but most of my bread baking is with my sourdough starter and no
>added yeast.
>
>Here are pictures of the kaiser rolls and my next batch of sourdough starter,
>ready to be stirred down:
>
>Twelve Kaiser Rolls: http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
>Sourdough Starter: http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg
>
>Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting them
>evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section of
>a small tea ball and shake them on.

They look great. Do you participate in the sourdough group?

Koko
---
http://kokoscorner.blogspot.com

"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dee Dee" > wrote:
> Looking at your starter and lid, do you keep that particular lid on
> that particular starter in the refrigerator; and if you do, are you
> worried that it will flow over?

Yes, that's the lid I use even in the refrigerator. I made it out of two pieces
of scrap wood and a stainless cabinet knob. As you might be able to tell from
the picture, it's not exactly round (I tried!) and it is no longer flat. But it
works.

The starter goes dormant in the refrigerator, so I don't have any problem with
it overflowing in there. But when I have it out at room temperature, it's
another story. Sometimes I'm not sure how active the starter is and sometimes I
get distracted, and what a mess it makes! It has to be stirred down a few times
to keep it in the crock. After that happened the first time, I keep the crock on
a plate when it is out of the refrigerator to catch any overflow. It's still a
mess cleaning it off the wooden lid if I don't catch it in time.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Koko" wrote:
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:14:50 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
> wrote:
>
>>Today's project was making kaiser rolls.

> They look great. Do you participate in the sourdough group?

I've visited there a few times, but I've never posted. Some people
there take things very seriously! ;-) I'm more of an amateur.

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"wff_ng_7" > wrote:
> Today's project was making kaiser rolls.
>
> I make them using my sourdough starter, but I "cheated" this time and added some
> active dry yeast. I do that when I'm a little pressed for time and not sure of
> the potency of my starter. I shouldn't have worried, as it was only a week since
> the last time I refreshed it. Sometimes it's three weeks before I get around to
> it.
>
> The recipe I use is roughly based on the one for hard rolls in the Fanny Farmer
> cookbook. But I say roughly because I bake bread more by the "seat of the pants"
> method. I just use that as a hint for how much water to use and double it, to 3
> cups. The amount of flour is by feel, I add yeast if I feel like it, I put in my
> sourdough starter. I make the rolls much bigger than the Fanny Farmer recipe.
> That one says it yields 18 hard rolls. I'm essentially doubling the recipe and I
> get 12 rolls.
>
> The active dry yeast I'm using has an interesting "history". It is close to 4
> years old. It used to belong to my father, who passed away about 3-1/2 years
> ago. I keep it in the freezer. It's amazing how long it keeps. I would have used
> it up long ago, but most of my bread baking is with my sourdough starter and no
> added yeast.
>
> Here are pictures of the kaiser rolls and my next batch of sourdough starter,
> ready to be stirred down:
>
> Twelve Kaiser Rolls:http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
> Sourdough Starter:http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg
>
> Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting them
> evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section of
> a small tea ball and shake them on.

That's not true. The vast majority of Kaiser rolls (actually they are
Vienna rolls) are naked (no seeds) except for a light dusting of rye
flour, and they are not made with sourdough, not ever. The real deal
hand made roll is higher, rounder, poofier, with a very thin crisp
dark brown crust and a light creamy crumb. I notice you never
mentioned how you formed them, the most important aspect of this
particualr roll is how they are formed into a five petaled rosette, a
trick you certainly would have not only mentioned but also
photographed in the making because it's kind of a well guarded secret
in the industry and not many know how.... those sure look machine
stamped to me... even old NYC union bakers with 50 years expereience
can't "klop" the petals that evenly by hand. Hand stamps can be
purchased (King Arthur sells them) but those are definitely machine
stamped. You didn't bake those rolls, you bought them, a dozen in a
plastic bag.

Don't anyone ever try to fool me with baked goods, especially not
breads.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sheldon" > wrote:
> That's not true. The vast majority of Kaiser rolls (actually they are
> Vienna rolls) are naked (no seeds) except for a light dusting of rye
> flour, and they are not made with sourdough, not ever. The real deal
> hand made roll is higher, rounder, poofier, with a very thin crisp
> dark brown crust and a light creamy crumb. I notice you never
> mentioned how you formed them, the most important aspect of this
> particualr roll is how they are formed into a five petaled rosette, a
> trick you certainly would have not only mentioned but also
> photographed in the making because it's kind of a well guarded secret
> in the industry and not many know how.... those sure look machine
> stamped to me... even old NYC union bakers with 50 years expereience
> can't "klop" the petals that evenly by hand. Hand stamps can be
> purchased (King Arthur sells them) but those are definitely machine
> stamped. You didn't bake those rolls, you bought them, a dozen in a
> plastic bag.
>
> Don't anyone ever try to fool me with baked goods, especially not
> breads.

My kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds. It's true that not all do. And almost all
of the bread I bake begins with my sourdough starter and doesn't use separate
yeast.

A purist would say a kaiser roll must be hand formed, by I'd guess 99.99% of the
kaiser rolls made in the USA (all sources including home) are not hand formed.

I use a hand stamp. I've had it for quite a few years, and it is made of cast
aluminum. It's very solid. I don't know if they are even made like this anymore.
Here's a picture of my stamp:

http://i6.tinypic.com/4zedoxt.jpg

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:
> Today's project was making kaiser rolls.
>
> I make them using my sourdough starter, but I "cheated" this time and
> added some active dry yeast. I do that when I'm a little pressed for
> time and not sure of the potency of my starter. I shouldn't have
> worried, as it was only a week since the last time I refreshed it.
> Sometimes it's three weeks before I get around to it.
>
> The recipe I use is roughly based on the one for hard rolls in the Fanny
> Farmer cookbook. But I say roughly because I bake bread more by the
> "seat of the pants" method. I just use that as a hint for how much water
> to use and double it, to 3 cups. The amount of flour is by feel, I add
> yeast if I feel like it, I put in my sourdough starter. I make the rolls
> much bigger than the Fanny Farmer recipe. That one says it yields 18
> hard rolls. I'm essentially doubling the recipe and I get 12 rolls.
>
> The active dry yeast I'm using has an interesting "history". It is close
> to 4 years old. It used to belong to my father, who passed away about
> 3-1/2 years ago. I keep it in the freezer. It's amazing how long it
> keeps. I would have used it up long ago, but most of my bread baking is
> with my sourdough starter and no added yeast.
>
> Here are pictures of the kaiser rolls and my next batch of sourdough
> starter, ready to be stirred down:
>
> Twelve Kaiser Rolls: http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
> Sourdough Starter: http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg
>
> Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to
> getting them evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in
> the bottom section of a small tea ball and shake them on.

They look wonderful!

--
-Gina in Italy

Currently Reading:

Micah by Laurell K. Hamilton
Cold Fire by Dean Koontz

Stitching WIP:

Rosemarkie by Long Dong
St. Sylvestre by Long Dog
St. Georges by Long Dog

Soon to start:

Pompeji Garden Mandela by Chatelaine
Tuscan Town Mandela by Chatelaine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wff_ng_7 wrote:

> Twelve Kaiser Rolls: http://i5.tinypic.com/67fo3zk.jpg
> Sourdough Starter: http://i7.tinypic.com/5402dev.jpg

Well how so very pretty!

You have a lot of talent

Barry
Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Today's project was making kaiser rolls.

>Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting them
>evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section of
>a small tea ball and shake them on.

They look very professional.
Do you have the tool that makes the markings on top, or do you do
something else?

Christine

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 May 2007 20:36:23 -0700, Sheldon > wrote:

I notice you never
>mentioned how you formed them, the most important aspect of this
>particualr roll is how they are formed into a five petaled rosette, a
>trick you certainly would have not only mentioned but also
>photographed in the making because it's kind of a well guarded secret
>in the industry and not many know how....

Peter Reinhardt describes how to do it in his book, The Bread Baker's
Apprentice. He even has pictures showing how to do the rosette.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:14:50 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
> wrote:
>
>>Today's project was making kaiser rolls.

>>Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting
>>them
>>evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section
>>of
>>a small tea ball and shake them on.

> They look very professional.
> Do you have the tool that makes the markings on top, or do you do
> something else?

I have the tool. There are quite a few out there, but I get the feeling the one
I have isn't made anymore. Mine is made of cast aluminum. The ones I've seen in
recent years are either plastic or tinned steel. This is what mine looks like:

http://i6.tinypic.com/4zedoxt.jpg

--
wff_ng_7 (at) verizon (dot) net

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 13 May 2007 14:29:22 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
wrote:

>"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 13 May 2007 01:14:50 GMT, "wff_ng_7" >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>Today's project was making kaiser rolls.

>>>Kaiser rolls MUST have poppy seeds on top. I found a neat method to getting
>>>them
>>>evenly on the tops of the rolls. I put some poppy seeds in the bottom section
>>>of
>>>a small tea ball and shake them on.

>> They look very professional.
>> Do you have the tool that makes the markings on top, or do you do
>> something else?

>I have the tool. There are quite a few out there, but I get the feeling the one
>I have isn't made anymore. Mine is made of cast aluminum. The ones I've seen in
>recent years are either plastic or tinned steel. This is what mine looks like:
>
>http://i6.tinypic.com/4zedoxt.jpg

Good Heavens! You are correct. KA Flour used to sell the same one you
have and I checked and could not find it. I then looked around online
and mostly found the cheaper and flimsier ones as you describe

INstawares has one for over $70 that is aluminum, but no photo
available.

http://www.instawares.com/kaiser-rol...sl-183.0.7.htm

Boron