Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon Sheldon is offline

Default The word is refrigerate

On May 17, 10:46�am, "Gregory Morrow" >
wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> Sqwertz wrote:
> > Charlene Charette wrote:

> >> So why is it called a "RE-frigerator", and not just "frigerator"?
> >> Frigerator would mean "makes cold" (in the modern sense of the
> >> language), so why the "re" in front of it?

> >> No wonder they English is the hardest language to learn. It

> .>> doesn't make any sense.
>
> >Nothing whackier that the two stooges discussing >academics.
> >Anyone who passed 4th grade science would be capable of comprehending
> >the concept that a refrigerant does not make anything cold... a
> >refrigerant removes heat... as does a refrigerator. *Cold is merely
> >the absense of heat. *The "re" indicates the *return* to the natural
> >state.

> Hey, poor sqwirtz is just all agog from trying to find a fridge big enuf to
> hold those meezly 3/4 lbs. of shrimp he prepares for six people...give 'im a
> break, lol.

Yep, 12 whole ounces of raw shrimp ends up as 8 ounces cooked... just
enough for six to fill a cavity each in one molar. Eight ounces of
cooked shrimp is like feeding 6 people one can of tuna... my six cats
can devour two ounces of shrimp each and be looking for refills.

Twelve ounces raw shrimp is a kinda shrimpy snack for two average
adults... actually it's a tease, and an embarrassment... folks will
have to count each bite so there's an even amount to go around... of
course they'd only need to be able to count up to three. Do you think
anyone hangs with the Sqwertz can count that high. I would allow more
than 3/4 pound of shrimp for those two kids... 3/4 lb of raw shrimp is
a just right appetizer for one adult, especially when the entire menu
is just unsubstantial snack food.

Sheldon