Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Spare ribs

biig wrote:

> I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. I want to freeze
> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> Anyone?
>
> tia.......Sharon

I wouldn't recommend putting the dry rub on before freezing. My
experience has been that putting dry rub on the meat long before it's
cooked makes the meat a little 'funky' somehow texture-wise. But,
that's my own personal experience. Perhaps the dry rub starts a curing
process that changes the texture of the meat? I don't know, but that's
my guess.

Sky
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:
> I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. I want to freeze
> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> Anyone?

NO!!

--
"So long, so long, and thanks for all the fish!"
Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig > wrote:
> * I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. *I want to freeze
> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> Anyone?

Dry rub, eh... at least I know you're not going to boil them, whew!

If the rub doesn't contain much salt I don't see whe not... but why
can't you save the dry rub to apply after you defrost.

How many pounds? If like five pounds or so why not simply cook them
all... ribs shrink a lot and they're mostly bone... I figure about 2
pounds per serving, a full rack feeds two. Ribs reheat well in the
nuker and you can freeze cooked ribs. I know I would definitely cook
them all, if they're good they'll definitely get eaten.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. I want to freeze
> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> Anyone?

I don't see much point in that. I usually do a dry rub with ribs just
before I stick them in the oven.

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 23, 11:36 am, biig > wrote:
> I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. I want to freeze
> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> Anyone?

Why would you want to do that? You're obviously not going to cook
them soon, so how can you know what you want to do with them? If
eventually you want to use a dry rub what would be wrong with thawing
the ribs and then applying it?

I'm going to the Asian market for a 25-lb. bag of rice. Think I'll
pick up some spareribs and have them cut into short lengths by the
butcher's band saw. Then I'll decide tonight or tomorrow whether to
do black beans and garlic or sweet and sour or tomato curry......-aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Bugg wrote:
> biig wrote:
>> I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. I want to freeze
>> some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before
>> freezing?? Anyone?

> NO!!

And a resounding NO!! to go along with Dave's.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"biig" > wrote

> I guess that's a no.....LOL....it was just a thought.....Sharon

I think putting the dry rub on the ribs before you freeze
them is a bad idea. Just my .02.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I guess that's a no.....LOL....it was just a thought.....Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mar 23, 5:23�pm, "aem" > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 11:36 am, biig > wrote:
>
> > * I bought a bulk pack of ribs for 1.99/lb. today. *I want to freeze
> > some, but am not sure if I should put the dry rub on before freezing??
> > Anyone?

> Why would you want to do that? *You're obviously not going to cook
> them soon, so how can you know what you want to do with them? *If
> eventually you want to use a dry rub what would be wrong with thawing
> the ribs and then applying it?
>
> I'm going to the Asian market for a 25-lb. bag of rice. *Think I'll
> pick up some spareribs and have them cut into short lengths by the
> butcher's band saw. *

I wouldn't. Your ribs will be loaded with bone chips, blech. It's
easy to cut through pork rib bones with a cleaver, in fact I make
riblets with the heavy portion of a large chef's knife, slices right
through, cleanly. A Chinese knife is perfect for that chore, that's
how ribs are cut at Chinese restaurants.

Any time you buy meat that has been sawn through its bones make sure
to wash it well before cooking... restaurants are notorious for
serving filthy meat...I've sent back many a porterhouse because it was
loaded with bone fragments.

Sheldon Cleanmeat

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Mar 24, 6:45 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> On Mar 23, 5:23?pm, "aem" > wrote:
> [snips]
> > I'm going to the Asian market for a 25-lb. bag of rice. ?Think I'll
> > pick up some spareribs and have them cut into short lengths by the
> > butcher's band saw. ?

> I wouldn't. Your ribs will be loaded with bone chips, blech. It's
> easy to cut through pork rib bones with a cleaver, in fact I make
> riblets with the heavy portion of a large chef's knife, slices right
> through, cleanly. A Chinese knife is perfect for that chore, that's
> how ribs are cut at Chinese restaurants.

Well, yes and no. I don't find it easy to cut through rib bones with
a cleaver. When I do it I get at least as many bone chips as the saw
produces. I do a lot of my own cutting up of meat and poultry, but
this is a case where I prefer to let the butcher do the hard part.

> Any time you buy meat that has been sawn through its bones make sure
> to wash it well before cooking.

That's what I do. I rinse the ribs and dry each piece individually,
so that few if any chips get through.

... restaurants are notorious for
> serving filthy meat...I've sent back many a porterhouse because it was
> loaded with bone fragments.

Never had that experience. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> I guess that's a no.....LOL....it was just a thought.....Sharon

For what purpose though?
I mean, did you hope to save time or perhaps hope that the flavors would
intensify?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

biig wrote:

> One time cleanup. I like to be able to take something out of the
> freezer and thaw in the cooking pan. I have a chronic condition and
> sometimes just don't feel up to preparation. Also, DH and I are both
> diabetic and need meals at regular time, so it's nice to be able to put
> a meal on with little prep/cleanup. ....Sharon

Perhaps you could mix up the spices and other ingredients for the rub
and store it in a container ahead of time and it will be ready at the
time you want to do the ribs. No more of a mess than doing it at any
other time, no less. I do this with a salt/garlic/red pepper type
mixture (not unlike the mixture sold by Fiesta brand out of San Antonio
for fajitas) and use it on steaks and such when grilling.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"aem" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
> > "aem" wrote:
> > * [snips]
> > > ?Think I'll
> > > pick up some spareribs and have them cut into short lengths by the
> > > butcher's band saw. ?

> > I wouldn't. *Your ribs will be loaded with bone chips, blech. It's
> > easy to cut through pork rib bones with a cleaver, in fact I make
> > riblets with the heavy portion of a large chef's knife, slices right
> > through, cleanly. *A Chinese knife is perfect for that chore, that's
> > how ribs are cut at Chinese restaurants.

> Well, yes and no. *I don't find it easy to cut through rib bones with
> a cleaver. *When I do it I get at least as many bone chips as the saw
> produces. *I do a lot of my own cutting up of meat and poultry, but
> this is a case where I prefer to let the butcher do the hard part.

No need to whack it, just apply pressure and slice through with a
stout knife... a good butcher would never band saw pork ribs to make
riblets... the cleaver is applied firmly and then gently tapped
through with a wooden club, no whacking soft bone... chickens are
quartered the same. It's very rare you'll see a butcher whack
anything with a cleaver, you think they want to destroy a three
thousand dollar block... and they don't have that good an aim... plus
whacking through bone is dangerous. A cleaver is not supposed to be
wielded like an axe.

Pork rib bones are thin, soft, and hollow, actually easier to slice
through than chicken bones. I use the rear portion of my 10" chefs
knife. You're only going to cut each rib twice, through the narrow
end portion. And it's only the first 2-3 ribs that will present any
resistance, the distal portion tapers off to practically no bone at
all. I've sliced through winter squash that's tougher than pork
ribs. Really, all you need do is with one hand place the knife where
you want to sever, place the palm of your other hand on the back of
your knife and PUSH!

You gotta stop whacking your pork. hehe

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> biig wrote:
> >
> > I guess that's a no.....LOL....it was just a thought.....Sharon

> For what purpose though?
> I mean, did you hope to save time or perhaps hope that the flavors would
> intensify?

One time cleanup. I like to be able to take something out of the
freezer and thaw in the cooking pan. I have a chronic condition and
sometimes just don't feel up to preparation. Also, DH and I are both
diabetic and need meals at regular time, so it's nice to be able to put
a meal on with little prep/cleanup. ....Sharon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:

> biig wrote:
>
> > One time cleanup. I like to be able to take something out of the
> > freezer and thaw in the cooking pan. I have a chronic condition and
> > sometimes just don't feel up to preparation. Also, DH and I are both
> > diabetic and need meals at regular time, so it's nice to be able to put
> > a meal on with little prep/cleanup. ....Sharon

> Perhaps you could mix up the spices and other ingredients for the rub
> and store it in a container ahead of time and it will be ready at the
> time you want to do the ribs. No more of a mess than doing it at any
> other time, no less. I do this with a salt/garlic/red pepper type
> mixture (not unlike the mixture sold by Fiesta brand out of San Antonio
> for fajitas) and use it on steaks and such when grilling.

I do have a good collection of spices/herbs, and I just got a
premixed blend from the bulk food store. It's a salt-free mix similar
to Mrs. Dash. I'll likely use that for the first rack and if it's any
good, I'll get some more. I have a steak seasoning mix, but it has
salt. I usually end up adding something into a rub recipe anyway, my
favourite being tarragon. Up until I started reading this group, I
wasn't a very adventurous cook, and had never even made cornbread. I
didn't think DH would care much for it, but I made a pan last week and
he wants it again. Ditto for the jambalaya I made the week before. He
is a willing guinea pig and likes most things I make. I'm trying to use
a new recipe at least once a week..........Sharon
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In rec.food.cooking, biig > wrote:

> One time cleanup. I like to be able to take something out of the
> freezer and thaw in the cooking pan.

You cook ribs in a pan?

--
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so
certain of themselves, but wiser people so full of doubts.

How lbs of spare ribs? notbob General Cooking 25 18-02-2012 10:07 PM
Spare Ribs Mom2SamTiny Recipes (moderated) 0 18-12-2006 12:38 PM
Lemon Spare Ribs Alan_B Diabetic 0 23-09-2004 10:11 AM
Back Ribs vs Spare Ribs - Cooking/Smoking/Grilling Bob Hayden Barbecue 6 05-01-2004 06:46 PM
dry spare ribs No1 Uwoodknow General Cooking 0 24-12-2003 05:40 PM