Old 15-02-2007, 02:22 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
stuff.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Old 15-02-2007, 02:28 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 9:22?pm, "daveyj" wrote:
I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
stuff.

Waddaya cookin', WWll POW chow... throw that shit out!

Old 15-02-2007, 03:51 AM posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 14, 6:22 pm, "daveyj" wrote:
I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

When you cut up your chickens you can also save the necks and gizzards/
hearts for stock making.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I don't brown them for normal stock making. You could, but whether
you gain or lose flavor from it is arguable. -aem

Old 15-02-2007, 04:00 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"daveyj" wrote:

I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

They will make a good stock. Brown them if you want a kind of fried
chicken taste to the stock. I generally make plain stock with chicken,
onions and celery.
If you brown them, You are basically frying them. Add a bit of oil to a
skillet and throw them in till the skin is brown. You don't have to
fully cook them. Just make sure the skin is browned.
Then gently boil them for a couple of hours with the celery and onion.
Strain the broth. I add plenty of salt added at the end and taste till I
like the result. If small bits of blood and a large amount of fat are in
the broth, I've found that straining through a few layers of a dishtowel
packed into a sieve works well to clarify and remove excess fat. But
that's just me.
Use the resultant product as you would any chicken stock. There
shouldn't be enough meat to make anything but the stock.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
Old 15-02-2007, 06:01 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com,
"daveyj" wrote:

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I never brown my chicken for soup. I always brown my beef bones for
soup. Go figure.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic

Old 15-02-2007, 06:56 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I never brown my chicken for soup.

Neither do I. I also chuck turkey carcasses after getting the meat and
dressing out of them. I don't like the fried or roasted taste of poultry
in stock. I didn't mention my preferences in my original post.

I always brown my beef bones for
soup. Go figure.

Beef bones are outrageously expensive here. They used to give them away.
I'm reduced to browning the hell out of a cut of meat and simmering it
for several hours for stock. Well...I also enjoy the meat.

leo

--
http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/
Old 15-02-2007, 01:58 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
In article .com,
"daveyj" wrote:

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I never brown my chicken for soup. I always brown my beef bones for
soup. Go figure.

I'm there with ya. Chicken (parts is parts) goes into the pot without
browning first. But beef bones, absolutely brown them. Makes the stock
darker. No one really wants "dark" chicken stock, do they?

Jill

Old 15-02-2007, 03:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 8:24?am, Peter A wrote:
In article .com,
says...

I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

There's no "should" - it's a matter of your preference. Browning gives a
darker stock and a different flavor.

No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
imbeciles.

Sheldon

Old 15-02-2007, 04:16 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

In article ,
Melba's Jammin' wrote:

I never brown my chicken for soup.

Neither do I. I also chuck turkey carcasses after getting the meat and
dressing out of them. I don't like the fried or roasted taste of poultry
in stock. I didn't mention my preferences in my original post.

I always brown my beef bones for
soup. Go figure.

Beef bones are outrageously expensive here. They used to give them away.
I'm reduced to browning the hell out of a cut of meat and simmering it
for several hours for stock. Well...I also enjoy the meat.

leo

No kidding. That's become the way with lots of cuts -- oxtails used to
be cheap. Chicken wings used to be cheap-er. I like boiled beef, too,
in soup only, though. I make my vegetable soup in two steps: the stock
first, with onion and peppercorns, a bit of celery. Then strained and
defatted. Then, later, with vegetables added, and the meat. I use a
little tomato powder in it, too.

Old 15-02-2007, 06:07 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 5:58 am, "jmcquown" wrote:
I'm there with ya. Chicken (parts is parts) goes into the pot without
browning first. But beef bones, absolutely brown them. Makes the stock
darker. No one really wants "dark" chicken stock, do they?

Richer, not so much browner.

Browning the bones just adds more flavor.

Karen

Old 15-02-2007, 06:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 7:01 am, "Sheldon" wrote:
No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
imbeciles.

Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Karen

Old 15-02-2007, 09:09 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:

No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
SPINAL CORD flavor. *The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
back bone and toss it in the trash. *Even *when I roast whole chicken
I cut out the back bone and truss. *I think it's disgusting to serve
chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
spinal fluid soup. *BLECH! *Why don't you include the feathers too,
imbeciles.

Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Beef marrow does not come from SPINES... in fact beef spine is a big
no no, dumb ****!

Old 15-02-2007, 09:11 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

WHAT A NASTY CRETIN YOU ARE "SHELDON".

"Sheldon" wrote in message
ups.com...
"Karen" wrote:
"Sheldon" wrote:

No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
imbeciles.

Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Beef marrow does not come from SPINES... in fact beef spine is a big
no no, dumb ****!

It has removed 111 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Old 16-02-2007, 04:13 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"daveyj" wrote in message
oups.com...
I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
stuff.
Thanks for your suggestions.

It's really a personal taste thing. I don't usually bother but you can throw them on
a baking sheet and put them in a very hot (425*-450*f) oven til browned. Then add to
the stock pot with onions, celery (don't be afraid to throw in those celery leaves!)
and some peppercorns. Not too many, a few will do. Add water to cover, or chicken
broth for an even deeper flavor. Some people add carrots. I don't because I don't
care for the sweetness they impart. The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not
let it boil. Just a good simmer is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the
surface. A couple hours later and all you need to do is strain and taste for
seasoning. At this point, I add sea salt and more pepper, this time I grind it
though. Ah well, you probably know all this. So, my answer to your question is, if
you feel like it, do it.

kimberly

Brown Windsor Soup Mack A. Damia General Cooking 3 13-01-2014 09:54 PM
Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup pamjd General Cooking 10 23-11-2008 02:17 AM
Basic Brown Soup Stock Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 12:37 AM
Skate Wings with Brown Butter, Preserved Lemon and Almond Sauce MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 10:56 PM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 06:11 AM