Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
end pieces.

Should I brown them first?
If you brown them first, then how?

I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
stuff.
Thanks for your suggestions.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 14, 9:22?pm, "daveyj" > wrote:
> I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?
>
> I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
> stuff.

Waddaya cookin', WWll POW chow... throw that shit out!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

On Feb 14, 6:22 pm, "daveyj" > wrote:
> I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.

When you cut up your chickens you can also save the necks and gizzards/
hearts for stock making.

> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?

I don't brown them for normal stock making. You could, but whether
you gain or lose flavor from it is arguable. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"daveyj" > wrote:

> I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?

They will make a good stock. Brown them if you want a kind of fried
chicken taste to the stock. I generally make plain stock with chicken,
onions and celery.
If you brown them, You are basically frying them. Add a bit of oil to a
skillet and throw them in till the skin is brown. You don't have to
fully cook them. Just make sure the skin is browned.
Then gently boil them for a couple of hours with the celery and onion.
Strain the broth. I add plenty of salt added at the end and taste till I
like the result. If small bits of blood and a large amount of fat are in
the broth, I've found that straining through a few layers of a dishtowel
packed into a sieve works well to clarify and remove excess fat. But
that's just me.
Use the resultant product as you would any chicken stock. There
shouldn't be enough meat to make anything but the stock.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article .com>,
"daveyj" > wrote:

> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?

I never brown my chicken for soup. I always brown my beef bones for
soup. Go figure.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Melba's Jammin' > wrote:

> I never brown my chicken for soup.

Neither do I. I also chuck turkey carcasses after getting the meat and
dressing out of them. I don't like the fried or roasted taste of poultry
in stock. I didn't mention my preferences in my original post.

> I always brown my beef bones for
> soup. Go figure.

Beef bones are outrageously expensive here. They used to give them away.
I'm reduced to browning the hell out of a cut of meat and simmering it
for several hours for stock. Well...I also enjoy the meat.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article .com>,
> "daveyj" > wrote:
>
>> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
>> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
>> end pieces.
>>
>> Should I brown them first?
>> If you brown them first, then how?

> I never brown my chicken for soup. I always brown my beef bones for
> soup. Go figure.

I'm there with ya. Chicken (parts is parts) goes into the pot without
browning first. But beef bones, absolutely brown them. Makes the stock
darker. No one really wants "dark" chicken stock, do they?

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 8:24?am, Peter A > wrote:
> In article .com>,
> says...
>
> > I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> > that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.

> > I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> > chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> > end pieces.

> > Should I brown them first?
> > If you brown them first, then how?

> There's no "should" - it's a matter of your preference. Browning gives a
> darker stock and a different flavor.

No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
imbeciles.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Leonard Blaisdell > wrote:

> In article >,
> Melba's Jammin' > wrote:
>
> > I never brown my chicken for soup.

> Neither do I. I also chuck turkey carcasses after getting the meat and
> dressing out of them. I don't like the fried or roasted taste of poultry
> in stock. I didn't mention my preferences in my original post.
>
> > I always brown my beef bones for
> > soup. Go figure.

> Beef bones are outrageously expensive here. They used to give them away.
> I'm reduced to browning the hell out of a cut of meat and simmering it
> for several hours for stock. Well...I also enjoy the meat.
>
> leo

No kidding. That's become the way with lots of cuts -- oxtails used to
be cheap. Chicken wings used to be cheap-er. I like boiled beef, too,
in soup only, though. I make my vegetable soup in two steps: the stock
first, with onion and peppercorns, a bit of celery. Then strained and
defatted. Then, later, with vegetables added, and the meat. I use a
little tomato powder in it, too.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - Winter pic and a snow pic
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 5:58 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
> I'm there with ya. Chicken (parts is parts) goes into the pot without
> browning first. But beef bones, absolutely brown them. Makes the stock
> darker. No one really wants "dark" chicken stock, do they?

Richer, not so much browner.

Browning the bones just adds more flavor.

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 15, 7:01 am, "Sheldon" > wrote:
> No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
> it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
> SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
> back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
> I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
> chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
> into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
> spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
> imbeciles.

Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Karen

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Karen" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> > No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
> > it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
> > SPINAL CORD flavor. *The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
> > back bone and toss it in the trash. *Even *when I roast whole chicken
> > I cut out the back bone and truss. *I think it's disgusting to serve
> > chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
> > into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
> > spinal fluid soup. *BLECH! *Why don't you include the feathers too,
> > imbeciles.

> Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Beef marrow does not come from SPINES... in fact beef spine is a big
no no, dumb ****!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

WHAT A NASTY CRETIN YOU ARE "SHELDON".

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
ups.com...
"Karen" wrote:
> "Sheldon" wrote:
>
> > No different flavor... chicken backs (yoose may call it "back" but
> > it's SPINE) regardless whether browned will always produce bitter
> > SPINAL CORD flavor. The first thing I do with chicken is cut away the
> > back bone and toss it in the trash. Even when I roast whole chicken
> > I cut out the back bone and truss. I think it's disgusting to serve
> > chicken with the spine still clinging... all that spinal fluid oozing
> > into the surrounding meat... and yoose stupid CHEEP *******s prepare
> > spinal fluid soup. BLECH! Why don't you include the feathers too,
> > imbeciles.

> Do you feel the same about beef marrow?

Beef marrow does not come from SPINES... in fact beef spine is a big
no no, dumb ****!

It has removed 111 spam emails to date.
Try SPAMfighter for free now!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"daveyj" > wrote in message
oups.com...
>I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?
>
> I'd like to make something special, and I'd hate to waste this good
> stuff.
> Thanks for your suggestions.

It's really a personal taste thing. I don't usually bother but you can throw them on
a baking sheet and put them in a very hot (425*-450*f) oven til browned. Then add to
the stock pot with onions, celery (don't be afraid to throw in those celery leaves!)
and some peppercorns. Not too many, a few will do. Add water to cover, or chicken
broth for an even deeper flavor. Some people add carrots. I don't because I don't
care for the sweetness they impart. The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not
let it boil. Just a good simmer is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the
surface. A couple hours later and all you need to do is strain and taste for
seasoning. At this point, I add sea salt and more pepper, this time I grind it
though. Ah well, you probably know all this. So, my answer to your question is, if
you feel like it, do it.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote>

>The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not let it boil. Just a good
>simmer is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the surface. A
>couple hours later and all you need to do is strain and taste for
>seasoning.

Very true and beautifully stated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes cybercat, you are right. We actually used this advice last night to make
cock a leekie and it was indeed full of flavour.
Thanks to Nexis. :-)

"cybercat" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Nexis" > wrote>
>
>>The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not let it boil. Just a good
>>simmer is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the surface. A
>>couple hours later and all you need to do is strain and taste for
>>seasoning.

> Very true and beautifully stated.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harris" > wrote in message
.uk...
> Yes cybercat, you are right. We actually used this advice last night to make cock a
> leekie and it was indeed full of flavour.
> Thanks to Nexis. :-)
>

> "cybercat" > wrote in message
> .. .
>>
>> "Nexis" > wrote>
>>
>>>The real key to a good, flavorful broth is to not let it boil. Just a good simmer
>>>is all you need, with barely any bubbles reaching the surface. A couple hours
>>>later and all you need to do is strain and taste for seasoning.

>> Very true and beautifully stated.

Glad to be of service
It also makes for a clearer broth, I forgot to mention.
I've seen recipes that call for a low boil for 50-60 minutes, but I think you get far
more and far better flavor with a simmer for a couple hours.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Yes! Although I'm new to this particular newsgroup, I have alread noticed
that you give very good advice,kimberly.
Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the past
couple of days?
They're a scarce commodity here.

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> "Harris" > wrote in message
> .uk...
>> Yes cybercat, you are right. We actually used this advice last night to
>> make cock a leekie and it was indeed full of flavour.
>> Thanks to Nexis. :-)
>>

>> "cybercat" > wrote in message
>> .. .
>>>
>>> "Nexis" > wrote>

>>> Very true and beautifully stated.

> Glad to be of service
> It also makes for a clearer broth, I forgot to mention.
> I've seen recipes that call for a low boil for 50-60 minutes, but I think
> you get far more and far better flavor with a simmer for a couple hours.
>
> kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harris" > wrote

> Yes! Although I'm new to this particular newsgroup, I have alread noticed
> that you give very good advice,kimberly.
> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the past
> couple of days?
> They're a scarce commodity here.

I don't know where 'here' is, but I have noticed in the past
that chicken wings are scarce after the Superbowl. I guess
it takes a while to stoke the pipeline again.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>"Harris" > wrote
>
>> Yes! Although I'm new to this particular newsgroup, I have alread noticed
>> that you give very good advice,kimberly.
>> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the past
>> couple of days?
>> They're a scarce commodity here.

>I don't know where 'here' is, but I have noticed in the past
>that chicken wings are scarce after the Superbowl. I guess
>it takes a while to stoke the pipeline again.

What do they do with the rest of the carcass while they're stoking?

Cheers, Phred.

--
LID

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Harris" > wrote
>
>> Yes! Although I'm new to this particular newsgroup, I have alread
>> noticed that you give very good advice,kimberly.
>> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for
>> the past couple of days?
>> They're a scarce commodity here.

> I don't know where 'here' is, but I have noticed in the past
> that chicken wings are scarce after the Superbowl. I guess
> it takes a while to stoke the pipeline again.
>
> nancy

Shhhhhh..... don't mention chicken wings or my hubby will drag me out to the
dreaded meat store. He's been threatening to do that for a couple of days
now. It's cold in there, it stinks like stale blood, it's really crowded
and it's just disgusting! Ugh........ shiver.

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message

> "Harris" > wrote
>
>> Yes! Although I'm new to this particular newsgroup, I have alread
>> noticed that you give very good advice,kimberly.
>> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the
>> past couple of days?
>> They're a scarce commodity here.

> I don't know where 'here' is, but I have noticed in the past
> that chicken wings are scarce after the Superbowl. I guess
> it takes a while to stoke the pipeline again.

I'm in Scotland. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Harris" wrote:

> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the past
> couple of days?
> They're a scarce commodity here.

Um, where are you looking, in your crotch... would you believe that
there are two wings on every chicken. duh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

GET LOST YOU IGNORANT CRETIN! YOU SPOIL A SUPER NEWSGROUP.

"Sheldon" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> "Harris" wrote:
>>
>> Would you believe that we have been looking for chicken wings for the
>> past
>> couple of days?
>> They're a scarce commodity here.

> Um, where are you looking, in your crotch... would you believe that
> there are two wings on every chicken. duh

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harris wrote:
> GET LOST YOU IGNORANT CRETIN! YOU SPOIL A SUPER NEWSGROUP.

I dunno..He's not ruined it for me. He's our resident curmudgeon at
times, but he also contributes a lot of helpful information at times.

Hope you found your chicken wings. They're pretty plentiful at my local
markets.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Goomba38 wrote:
> Harris wrote:
> > GET LOST YOU IGNORANT CRETIN! *YOU SPOIL A SUPER NEWSGROUP.

> I dunno..He's not ruined it for me. He's our resident curmudgeon at
> times, but he also contributes a lot of helpful information at times.
>
> Hope you found your chicken wings. They're pretty plentiful at my local
> markets.

Not to worry, I ain't going anywhere. And I ain't gonna change, what
would I change into, a bikini speedo! LOL It's lots of other's who
change... like this douchebag Harris, who is very likely Duh'Wayne,
who in turn is very likely Damsel****, who is very likely JackShit,
and n' and on it goes... lot's of posters here morph constantly, many
have always simultaneously posted under several aliases, within this
group and others. Me, it's just me, what you see is what you get.
HARRIS, you listening, cocksucker, I'm going to **** your wife, your
daughter, your mother, your aunts, your grandmother, your whole fang
damily, and you mother****er, right up your shit chute... Duh'Wayne!

Buncha sicko penta-polar LIARS... fraudulent lazy sewerage who
contribute nothing worthwhile to society.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Harris wrote:

> GET LOST YOU IGNORANT CRETIN! YOU SPOIL A SUPER NEWSGROUP.

1. Don't top-post. You spoil a super newsgroup.

2. Learn to use your killfile. Lookout Express has that capability.

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Karen wrote:
> On Feb 15, 5:58 am, "jmcquown" > wrote:
>> I'm there with ya. Chicken (parts is parts) goes into the pot
>> without browning first. But beef bones, absolutely brown them.
>> Makes the stock darker. No one really wants "dark" chicken stock,
>> do they?

> Richer, not so much browner.
>
> Browning the bones just adds more flavor.
>
> Karen

Oh, you're talking bones. Okay, but I still don't want dark chicken stock.
I do roast beef bones, oxtails, etc. But not chicken bones. If I'm using
whole chicken parts that's a different story. They need to be browned so
that the skin will crisp, sort of like fried chicken.

Jill

Brown Windsor Soup Mack A. Damia General Cooking 3 13-01-2014 10:54 PM
Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup pamjd General Cooking 10 23-11-2008 03:17 AM
Basic Brown Soup Stock Tim Recipes 0 25-12-2005 01:37 AM
Skate Wings with Brown Butter, Preserved Lemon and Almond Sauce MacLeod, Kathleen Recipes (moderated) 0 26-06-2004 10:56 PM
Alton Brown is Elton Brown all growed up Blair P. Houghton General Cooking 4 18-03-2004 07:11 AM