Posted to rec.food.cooking
Leonard Blaisdell Leonard Blaisdell is offline

Default To brown or not to brown? Using uncooked chicken backs & wings for soup.

In article .com>,
"daveyj" > wrote:

> I have a good amount of raw chicken backs and wing tips in the freezer
> that I saved from whole chickens that I cut up myself.
>
> I've made soup and stock from raw chicken, cooked chicken, roast
> chicken carcasses, and a combination of all, but not from just these
> end pieces.
>
> Should I brown them first?
> If you brown them first, then how?

They will make a good stock. Brown them if you want a kind of fried
chicken taste to the stock. I generally make plain stock with chicken,
onions and celery.
If you brown them, You are basically frying them. Add a bit of oil to a
skillet and throw them in till the skin is brown. You don't have to
fully cook them. Just make sure the skin is browned.
Then gently boil them for a couple of hours with the celery and onion.
Strain the broth. I add plenty of salt added at the end and taste till I
like the result. If small bits of blood and a large amount of fat are in
the broth, I've found that straining through a few layers of a dishtowel
packed into a sieve works well to clarify and remove excess fat. But
that's just me.
Use the resultant product as you would any chicken stock. There
shouldn't be enough meat to make anything but the stock.

leo

--
<http://web0.greatbasin.net/~leo/>