Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup

This recipe just struck a note for the cold cold first weekend of deer
hunting here in cold and frosty Wisconsin. I thought it worth
passing along.
Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup

SERVES 6 €“ 8
Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
1„2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
Heat 1„4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
2 carrots, finely chopped
2 ribs celery, finely chopped
1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
1 tsp. cumin seeds,
1„2 tsp. dried thyme
1 dried chile de Γ‘rbol
12 cups chicken broth
1 cup long-grain brown rice, rinsed
3„4 cup brown lentils, rinsed
Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper
1„2 lb. spinach, coarsely chopped
1. Remove sausage from its casings. Heat oil in a 5-quart pot over
medium-high heat; add sausage and cook, stirring and breaking it up
into small pieces, until browned, about 6 minutes. Using a slotted
spoon, transfer sausage to a plate.
2. Add carrots, celery, and onions, along with cumin, thyme, and chile
de Γ‘rbol. Cook, stirring, until lightly browned, 10€“15 minutes.. Add
reserved sausage, chicken broth, rice, and lentils and season with
salt and pepper to taste.
3. Bring to a boil, lower the heat to medium-low, and cook, partially
covered, stirring occasionally, until rice and lentils are soft, about
45 minutes. Stir in spinach and cook until wilted, about 1 minute.

This recipe was first published in Saveur in Issue #111
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"pamjd" > wrote in message
This recipe just struck a note for the cold cold first weekend of deer
hunting here in cold and frosty Wisconsin. I thought it worth
passing along.
Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup

[snips good looking recipe]

I like it. I'll try it. thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

pamjd wrote:

> This recipe just struck a note for the cold cold first weekend of deer
> hunting here in cold and frosty Wisconsin. I thought it worth passing
> along.
> Brown Rice, Lentil, and Spinach Soup

<snip>

That sounds very good, and I just happen to have a bunch of chard in the
fridge which would substitute nicely for the spinach.

Thank you, Pam!

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

snipping...

Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
1?2 lb. sweet Italian sausage

sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not living
in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?

TIA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MG wrote:
> snipping...
>> Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
>> thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
>> 1?2 lb. sweet Italian sausage

> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not
> living in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?

Italian sausage comes in hot or sweet. Sweet meaning not hot.
It's not actually sweet to my taste.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Nov 22, 11:31 pm, "MG" > wrote:

> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not living
> in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?

I’m not much of a cook but when I was back in the States we had sweet
Italian sausage and hot/spicy Italian sausage to choose from.

Now That I’m in Australia I would go for any kind of Italian sausage I
could find. It’s a hit and miss kinda thing from this end.

Wait! I just remembered seeing a butchery on the way into town
yesterday and maybe I can ask if they know about making a sweet
Italian sausage. Hmmm...

I think the recipe sounds great and I might even give it a try... all
by myself. :-)

Barb
s/y Arabella
www.sailinglinks.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking

MG wrote:
> snipping...
>

> Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
> thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
> 1?2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
>

> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not living
> in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?
>
> TIA

Italian sausage is a pork sausage where the predominant spice is fennel.
They offer it as sweet or hot. Hot has red pepper added.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> MG wrote:
>> snipping...
>>> Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
>>> thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
>>> 1?2 lb. sweet Italian sausage

>> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not
>> living in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?

> Italian sausage comes in hot or sweet. Sweet meaning not hot.
> It's not actually sweet to my taste.
>
> nancy

Our local corner Italian Deli (Carmine Lonardo's, with Carmine Jr.
doing the honors) has three types of Italian sausage: hot (yes, it is!),
mild (not quite so hot) and sweet (unspiced except for salt and maybe
fennel.) They make it fresh twice a week and it is divine. The
original Carmine's is located in Denver's Italian North End near some
wonderful bakeries. I believe Jr.'s brother is in charge there when the
clan's patriarch, elderly Carmine Sr. is not on the scene.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MG" > wrote in message
> snipping...
>

> Brown rice and lentils, simmered with aromatic vegetables, cumin, and
> thyme, meld to make a delicious, full-bodied soup.
> 1?2 lb. sweet Italian sausage
>

> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us not
> living in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?
>
> TIA

thanks everyone...yes, we definitely have that here... I espcially love the
fennel flavoured one too!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Gloria P wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> MG wrote:

>>> sounds great, but a question needing an answer... for those of us
>>> not living in the US, what exactly is sweet Italian sausage?

>> Italian sausage comes in hot or sweet. Sweet meaning not hot.
>> It's not actually sweet to my taste.

> Our local corner Italian Deli (Carmine Lonardo's, with Carmine Jr.
> doing the honors) has three types of Italian sausage: hot (yes, it
> is!), mild (not quite so hot) and sweet (unspiced except for salt and
> maybe fennel.) They make it fresh twice a week and it is divine. The
> original Carmine's is located in Denver's Italian North End near some
> wonderful bakeries. I believe Jr.'s brother is in charge there when
> the clan's patriarch, elderly Carmine Sr. is not on the scene.

Nice. I'm fussy about sausage, the texture and the flavor have
to be just so or it puts me off. It's good to find one you like,
and a nice that you found a locally made one you like.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Gloria P wrote:

>> Our local corner Italian Deli (Carmine Lonardo's, with Carmine Jr.
>> doing the honors) has three types of Italian sausage: hot (yes, it
>> is!), mild (not quite so hot) and sweet (unspiced except for salt and
>> maybe fennel.) They make it fresh twice a week and it is divine. The
>> original Carmine's is located in Denver's Italian North End near some
>> wonderful bakeries. I believe Jr.'s brother is in charge there when
>> the clan's patriarch, elderly Carmine Sr. is not on the scene.

> Nice. I'm fussy about sausage, the texture and the flavor have
> to be just so or it puts me off. It's good to find one you like,
> and a nice that you found a locally made one you like.

Yes, it's really good with very little fat and no "mystery meat."
They also carry a wonderful pepperoni we hadn't been able to find since
we left the east coast--Margherita (sp?) brand, plus real prosciutto,
all kinds of imported pasta and even pizzelle.

gloria p