Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default My Favorite Cheese

Julia Altshuler wrote:
> Ravenlynne wrote:
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>>
>>> In article . com>,
>>> "Radium" > wrote:

>>> I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have
>>> in the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy
>>> Young's recipe).

>> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW!

> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You
> make it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You
> make it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from
> chihuahuas ... I understand it sells for a lot.
>

> --Lia

Um. It was a joke. It's late. I'm tired.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ravenlynne" > wrote

> Julia Altshuler wrote:
>> Ravenlynne wrote:

>>> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW!

>> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You make
>> it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You make
>> it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from chihuahuas ...
>> I understand it sells for a lot.

> Um. It was a joke. It's late. I'm tired.

(laugh) She was joking, too. Chihuahua milk. Heh.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Jerry Avins" > wrote in message
> As a teenager, my wife got a sour stare in a Quebec grocery when she asked
> for American cheese. Then the light dawned: fromage canadien, s'il vous
> plait. She got that with a smile. Same stuff.

When I lived in Philly, it was referred to as square cheese for obvious
reasons. When we moved to CT, we got the same strange looks when asking for
"square cheese".

Cheddar is still my overall favorite, but a sharp provolone is hard to beat.
I'm going pack to Italy in a couple of months and will be in Parma for a day
or two. You can be sure I'll be bringing some cheese back.

Every day I have wine, cheese, gelato. I don't care if I eat anything else
the entire trip.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ravenlynne > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article . com>,
> > "Radium" > wrote:
> >
> >> Best,

> > I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have in
> > the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy Young's
> > recipe).

> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW! ;-)

Yes, yes, yes. A delicacy, albeit an acquired taste. I notice that
soon after eating it, I start yipping uncontrollably. Strange reaction.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> Ravenlynne wrote:
> > Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> >> In article . com>,
> >> "Radium" > wrote:

> >> I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have
> >> in the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy
> >> Young's recipe).

> > Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW!

> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You
> make it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You
> make it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from
> chihuahuas ... I understand it sells for a lot.
>

> --Lia

Uh, Lia? She was kidding.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Nancy Young" > wrote:

> "Ravenlynne" > wrote
>
> > Julia Altshuler wrote:

> >> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You make
> >> it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You make
> >> it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from chihuahuas ...
> >> I understand it sells for a lot.

> > Um. It was a joke. It's late. I'm tired.

> (laugh) She was joking, too. Chihuahua milk. Heh.
>
> nancy

Uffda! Over my head! LOL!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Chihuahua cheese is the only thing to top a hotdog with!

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>> > I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have in
>> > the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy Young's
>> > recipe).

>> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW! ;-)

> Yes, yes, yes. A delicacy, albeit an acquired taste. I notice that
> soon after eating it, I start yipping uncontrollably. Strange reaction.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
> 1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
> http://jamlady.eboard.com
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Uffda?! Are you from Minnesota? My folks are from there and that is the
only place I've heard people say that. Jane

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Nancy Young" > wrote:

>> > Um. It was a joke. It's late. I'm tired.

>> (laugh) She was joking, too. Chihuahua milk. Heh.
>>
>> nancy

> Uffda! Over my head! LOL!
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
> 1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
> http://jamlady.eboard.com
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Bigbazza" > wrote in message

> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
>> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
>> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
>> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
>> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
>> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
>> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids.
>> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>>
>> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
>> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
>> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
>> becomes magical.
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
>>

> No.7...
>
> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids."

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!
>
> --
> Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)
>
> (PS..This is for Joan F (MI).. benefit..Not waiting two weeks to answer
> this one ) :-)) )
>
> --
> Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Oh...I see I X-Posted this message unintentionally ...Sorry..But I will
X-Post it again this time just so I can apologise for X-Posting...I never
intentionally do it ..always when it happens, It is just because I haven't
noticed the X-Post ..<g>

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"janerene" > wrote:

> Chihuahua cheese is the only thing to top a hotdog with!

Shame on you, Janerene! You get in your room NOW!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"janerene" > wrote:

> Uffda?! Are you from Minnesota? My folks are from there and that is the
> only place I've heard people say that. Jane
>
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,

> > Uffda! Over my head! LOL!
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

<Barb looks furtively around> Minnesota? Who? Me? There ARE other
places with high Norwegian-ancestors populations, ya know. Minnesota!
Huh! Your folks are from Minnesota but you're not? That's really sad
-- I've heard that Minnesota is a really beautiful state with balmy-like
weather. You should come --- er-r-r-r, GO there -- sometime.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> "Ravenlynne" > wrote
>
>> Julia Altshuler wrote:

>>> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You make
>>> it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You make
>>> it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from chihuahuas ...
>>> I understand it sells for a lot.

>> Um. It was a joke. It's late. I'm tired.

> (laugh) She was joking, too. Chihuahua milk. Heh.
>
> nancy

I'm thinking it would take a while to milk a chihuahua...lmao!

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Ravenlynne > wrote:
>
>> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

>>> I like chihuahua cheese. And that's ezzackly what I'm going to have in
>>> the bottom of tonight's bowls of chicken tortilla soup (Nancy Young's
>>> recipe).

>> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW! ;-)

> Yes, yes, yes. A delicacy, albeit an acquired taste. I notice that
> soon after eating it, I start yipping uncontrollably. Strange reaction.

I get the urge to climb into a designer purse...

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> Julia Altshuler > wrote:
>
>> Ravenlynne wrote:

>>> Made with real Chihuahuas? WOW!

>> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You
>> make it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You
>> make it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from
>> chihuahuas ... I understand it sells for a lot.
>>

>> --Lia

> Uh, Lia? She was kidding.

Yup I was. It seems to be lack of sense of humor night.

--
The Doctor: And I'm looking for a blonde in a Union Jack. A specific
one, mind you, I didn't just wake up this morning with a craving.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

My folks were raised there. I was an Air Force Brat with no home town. We
went to Minnesota every summer though to visit with grandparents and
relatives. We still go there to visit my folks. And yes, I'm part
Norwegian, too. Seriously, where are you from? I'd hardly call Minnesota
balmy! It's beautiful in the summer, but in the winter....you can have it!!
Jane

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "janerene" > wrote:
>
>> Uffda?! Are you from Minnesota? My folks are from there and that is the
>> only place I've heard people say that. Jane
>>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > In article >,

>> > Uffda! Over my head! LOL!
>> > --
>> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

> <Barb looks furtively around> Minnesota? Who? Me? There ARE other
> places with high Norwegian-ancestors populations, ya know. Minnesota!
> Huh! Your folks are from Minnesota but you're not? That's really sad
> -- I've heard that Minnesota is a really beautiful state with balmy-like
> weather. You should come --- er-r-r-r, GO there -- sometime.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
> 1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
> http://jamlady.eboard.com
> http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Edwin Pawlowski" > wrote in message
et...

> "Bigbazza" > wrote in message
>>
>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>> ?.. Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the
>> world also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!
>>

> Surely you must you don't know what American processed cheese is. No, it
> is not cheddar, although we do have some good ones here. Do a Google
> search on "processed cheese" and you will see the difference and know why
> anyone that truly likes cheese does not bother with it.

X-Posted again.. as conversation first began on X-Post :-))

We must have different 'terms' for cheeses, Edwin..

I did not mean the soft type 'processed' cheeses..I mean A Tasty 'Hard'
Cheddar Cheese..Available from 18 months maturing right through to 'Vintage'
aged cheese like ...4-5 years Mature.

A couple of Oz web sites will show the difference of terms that are used...

http://www.begacheese.com.au/products/products.html

http://www.dairyfarmers.com.au/inter...s/products.jsp

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat

"Joel Olson" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> [...]

> than one kind; but in no case more than 43 percent (except 40 percent for
> Process Washed-curd or Colby; 44 percent for Process Swiss or Gruyere; and
> 51 percent for Process Limburger). Fat in the solids, not less than the
> minimum legal limit for the kind of natural cheese from which it is made,
> or the average of the minimum legal limits if it is made from more than
> one kind; but in no case less than 47 percent (except 43 percent for
> Process
> Swiss and 45 percent for Process Gruyere).
>
> Fruits, vegetables, or meats, or mixtures of these, may be added to
> Process
> cheese, in which case the moisture content may be 1 percent more, and the
> fat in the solids 1 percent less, than in the corresponding Process
> cheese.
>
> Process Pimento cheese is made by adding at least 0.2 percent of
> pimentos
> by weight to Process Cheddar or Cheddar-type cheese.
>
> Analysis: Moisture, not more than 41 percent; fat in the solids, not
> less
> than 49 percent.
>

> From USDA Agr. Handbook No.54, Cheese Varieties and Descriptions,
> George P.Sanders, issued Dec. 1953
>

> Process Blended
>
> Process Blended (or Pasteurized Process Blended) cheese is made in the
> same way as process cheese, except that Cream cheese or Neufchatel cheese
> can be used in mixtures of two or more kinds and neither emulsifier nor
> acid
> is added. The moisture content must not be more than the average of the
> maximum limits of the cheeses blended.
>
> Fruits, vegetables, or meats are sometimes added, in which case the
> mois-
> ture content may be 1 percent more and the fat in the solids 1 percent
> less
> than in the corresponding Process Blended cheese.
>

> Process Cheese Food
>
> Process Cheese Food (or Pasteurized Process Cheese Food) is made in
> the same way as Process cheese, except that certain dairy products (cream,
> milk, skim milk, cheese whey, or whey albumin) or concentrates or mixtures
> of any of these may be added, but at least 51 percent of the weight of the
> finished cheese food must be cheese.
>
> Analysis: Moisture, not more than 44 percent; fat, not less than 23
> percent.
> Fruits, vegetables, or meats are sometimes added, in which case the fat
> content must be at least 22 percent.
>

> From USDA Agr. Handbook No.54, Cheese Varieties and Descriptions,
> George P.Sanders, issued Dec. 1953
>

> Process Cheese Spread
>
> Process Cheese Spread (or Pasteurized Process Cheese Spread) is made
> in the same way as Process Cheese Food, except that it contains more mois-
> ture (44 to 60 percent) and less fat (but not less than 20 percent) and
> must
> be spreadable at a temperature of 70 F. Fruits, vegetables, or meats may

What an extremely interesting article, Joel..Very interesting.. :-)

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Bigbazza wrote:
>>
>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>> ?..
>> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the
>> world
>> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

> As much as I like Cheddar Cheese, when the grandkids are here, they
> like American, so that's what I use on grilled cheese sandwiches.
>
> The delight comes from sharing the sandwiches with the children. . .
> Even though I realize that American Cheese is absolutely the lowest
> thing on the "cheese" food chain;-)

I see we in Oz refer to Cheddar as being a difference cheese to your
processed cheese..

--
Bigbazza (Barry)..(The Boy from Oz)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Ravenlynne > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> > In article >,
> > Julia Altshuler > wrote:

> >> Oh, for Heaven's sake. You don't make sheep cheese from sheep. You
> >> make it from sheep's milk. You don't make goat cheese from goats. You
> >> make it from goat's milk. You don't make chihuahua cheese from
> >> chihuahuas ... I understand it sells for a lot.
> >>

> >> --Lia

> > Uh, Lia? She was kidding.

> Yup I was. It seems to be lack of sense of humor night.

Nah, I think Lia's remark went over both our heads. :-) I think Nancy
was on it.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"janerene" > wrote:

> My folks were raised there. I was an Air Force Brat with no home town. We
> went to Minnesota every summer though to visit with grandparents and
> relatives. We still go there to visit my folks. And yes, I'm part
> Norwegian, too. Seriously, where are you from? I'd hardly call Minnesota
> balmy! It's beautiful in the summer, but in the winter....you can have it!!
> Jane
>

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "janerene" > wrote:
> >> Uffda?! Are you from Minnesota? My folks are from there and that is the
> >> only place I've heard people say that. Jane

> > <Barb looks furtively around> Minnesota? Who? Me? There ARE other
> > places with high Norwegian-ancestors populations, ya know. Minnesota!
> > Huh! Your folks are from Minnesota but you're not? That's really sad
> > -- I've heard that Minnesota is a really beautiful state with balmy-like
> > weather. You should come --- er-r-r-r, GO there -- sometime.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ

Have you ever been in Minnesota in the winter?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.mac.com/barbschaller - blahblahblog -
1/11/2007,Pork Tenderloin and Oven Roasted Potatoes
http://jamlady.eboard.com
http://www.caringbridge.org/visit/amytaylor

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat

Bigbazza wrote:
> > wrote in message
> oups.com...
>> Bigbazza wrote:
>>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>>> ?..
>>> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the
>>> world
>>> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

>> As much as I like Cheddar Cheese, when the grandkids are here, they
>> like American, so that's what I use on grilled cheese sandwiches.
>>
>> The delight comes from sharing the sandwiches with the children. . .
>> Even though I realize that American Cheese is absolutely the lowest
>> thing on the "cheese" food chain;-)
>>

> I see we in Oz refer to Cheddar as being a difference cheese to your
> processed cheese..

We have unprocessed cheddar here too. I prefer domestic to English
cheddar, which is a bit different. Have you had "gruyere" sold as a
spread? That's processed gruyere. You could grate real gruyere. I grate
cheddar for macaroni-and-cheese. It's impossible to grate "fromage
canadien".

Good cheddar is made in Vermont -- http://www.cabotcheese.com/ -- New
York -- http://www.herkimerfoods.com/agedwax.html -- and Wisconsin,
among other places -- http://store.wfucheese.com/wiagchch.html.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Ja! Und it's too freakin' cold!! Jane

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Bigbazza wrote:
> > wrote in message
> ups.com...
>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
>> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
>> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
>> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
>> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
>> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
>> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids.
>> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>>
>> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
>> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
>> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
>> becomes magical.
>>
>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
>>

> No.7...
>
> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>> grandkids."

> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct ?..
> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the world
> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and ORIGINAL
Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
All together now..
"Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote on 13 Jan 2007 in rec.food.cooking

> Have you ever been in Minnesota in the winter?
> --

Yes it is balmy weather...compared to Manitoba...Happy pickled Herring!
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> Nah, I think Lia's remark went over both our heads. :-) I think Nancy
> was on it.

The part about chihuahua cheese being costly wasn't the biggest clue?
If you guys don't shape up, I'll abandon my deadpan and start using
smilies. (And we don't want that, do we?)

--Lia

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Mrs Bonk" > wrote in message
> Bigbazza wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>> ups.com...
>>> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
>>> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
>>> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
>>> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
>>> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
>>> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
>>> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>>> grandkids.
>>> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
>>> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
>>>
>>> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
>>> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
>>> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
>>> becomes magical.
>>>
>>> Myrl Jeffcoat
>>> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
>>>

>> No.7...
>>
>> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>>> grandkids."

>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>> ?..
>> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the
>> world
>> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and
> ORIGINAL Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
> All together now..
> "Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."

Isn't that in Burrington Combe?
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Mrs Bonk wrote:

> Bigbazza wrote:
> > > wrote in message
> > ups.com...
> >> (1) My favorite cheese is Swiss on Ham sandwiches.
> >> (2) My favorite cheese is Brie when making Baked Brie.
> >> (3) My favorite cheese is Feta when crumbled on a salad.
> >> (4) My favorite cheese is Mozarella when on a pizza or in antipasto.
> >> (5) My favorite cheese is Havarti when in a grilled cheese sandwich.
> >> (6) My favorite cheese is Roquefort when in a salad dressing.
> >> (7) My favorite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
> >> grandkids.
> >> (8) My favorite cheese is Gruyere when melting cheeses in fondue.
> >> (9) My favorite cheese is Monterey Jack when making chili rellenos.
> >>
> >> This question reminds me of last night's "favorite spice" question. . .
> >> It all depends on where it is being used. Used wrongly, and it's a
> >> disaster, but used in the right place, or with the right wine, and it
> >> becomes magical.
> >>
> >> Myrl Jeffcoat
> >> http://www.myrljeffcoat.com
> >>

> > No.7...
> >
> > "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
> >> grandkids."

> > Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct

?..
> > Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the

world
> > also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and

ORIGINAL
> Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
> All together now..
> "Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."

Bette Davis sings that to a portrait of her deceased husband in the 1968
black comedy (originally a West End stage hit) _The Anniversary_...

:-)

In any case how are you doing, Mrs. B.? Haven't seen you around very much
lately (things are a bit "slow" these days on alt.home.cleaning). Hope you
are having a good new year...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

graham wrote:
>>> ups.com...

>>> No.7...
>>>
>>> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>>>
>>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>>> ?..
>>> Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of the
>>> world
>>> also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

>> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and
>> ORIGINAL Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
>> All together now..
>> "Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."
>>

> Isn't that in Burrington Combe?

Very good Graham. I began singing at the cleft in Burrington Coombe, which
is south of the village of Burrington and by the time I sang "when I soar to
worlds unknown" I was buying my Cheddar - in Cheddar. They are, but a step
apart.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Gregory Morrow wrote:
> Mrs Bonk wrote:

>>> ups.com...

>>> No.7...
>>>
>>> "> (7) My favourite cheese is American when I'm being a kid with my
>>>
>>> Surely you must mean a 'Cheddar' Tasty Cheese here ?...Is that correct
>>> ?.. Americans aren't the only makers of this cheese !!.. The rest of
>>> the world also make it .and probably much better than 'the USA !!

>> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and
>> ORIGINAL Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
>> All together now..
>> "Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."

> Bette Davis sings that to a portrait of her deceased husband in the 1968
> black comedy (originally a West End stage hit) _The Anniversary_...

How very interesting Gregory.

> In any case how are you doing, Mrs. B.? Haven't seen you around very

much
> lately (things are a bit "slow" these days on alt.home.cleaning). Hope
> you are having a good new year...

Yes. thank you dear. I popped into ahc recently and see Phish is managing
perfectly well without me. Marcia has asked me to come in more often to give
my much sought after advice but without Gary the place is quite depressing,

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

"Mrs Bonk" > wrote in message
> graham wrote:

>>> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and
>>> ORIGINAL Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.
>>> All together now..
>>> "Rock of Ages, Cleft for me..."
>>>

>> Isn't that in Burrington Combe?

> Very good Graham. I began singing at the cleft in Burrington Coombe, which
> is south of the village of Burrington and by the time I sang "when I soar
> to worlds unknown" I was buying my Cheddar - in Cheddar. They are, but a
> step apart.

I started my PhD research in the Combe. I have a feeling that every valley
in England with a rock outcrop that affords shelter from the elements, lays
claim to that hymn.
Graham

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

graham wrote:
> "Mrs Bonk" > wrote in message
>> graham wrote:

>>> Isn't that in Burrington Combe?

>> Very good Graham. I began singing at the cleft in Burrington Coombe,
>> which is south of the village of Burrington and by the time I sang "when
>> I soar to worlds unknown" I was buying my Cheddar - in Cheddar. They
>> are, but a step apart.
>>

> I started my PhD research in the Combe. I have a feeling that every
> valley in England with a rock outcrop that affords shelter from the
> elements, lays claim to that hymn.

Surely not? I have never heard of any other village making such a claim.
The very fact that Augustus Toplady was curate in Blagdon would higher the
odds of it being a Burrington Coombe cleft. I have my doubts that it gives
much shelter though and wonder if it isn't another nearby cleft he sheltered
in. Either that or he was extremely thin.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Mrs Bonk wrote:

> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and ORIGINAL
> Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.

Last time I was down there (I live in Lancashire) I visited the Chedder
Gorge. The cheeses were to die for.
Some could bite you back even harder than you bit the cheese :-)
Others were so subtle that I should really have washed out my palette.

The amount I brought home was unbelievable.
Next time I am down there, I will identify what I like, so that I can
order it on line :-)

Look out for Oggie Oggie pasties. I had one in Gosport a few days ago
and I found it to be superior to anything else around.
It is a franchise (I have no connection, other than being impressed with
the product. You can find them via google at your own expence/time). I
am back down there in 2 weeks and might take home a few more to inspect
(how do I do a salivating smiley? Anyone.)

Dave

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave wrote:

> (how do I do a salivating smiley? Anyone.)

We'll have to work on that one.

Jerry
ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ ŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻŻ
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Jerry Avins > wrote:

> Dave wrote:

> > (how do I do a salivating smiley? Anyone.)

> We'll have to work on that one.

)~~~

Use the alt+n thingy used for the spanish ñ.

Greg

--

Here's a truck stop instead of St Peter's

No ficus = no spam
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave wrote:
> Mrs Bonk wrote:
>

>> We discussed in alt.cooking-chat once before how the very best and
>> ORIGINAL Cheddar comes from a village near me - Cheddar.

> Last time I was down there (I live in Lancashire) I visited the Chedder
> Gorge. The cheeses were to die for.
> Some could bite you back even harder than you bit the cheese :-)
> Others were so subtle that I should really have washed out my palette.
>
> The amount I brought home was unbelievable.
> Next time I am down there, I will identify what I like, so that I can
> order it on line :-)
>

> Look out for Oggie Oggie pasties. I had one in Gosport a few days ago
> and I found it to be superior to anything else around.
> It is a franchise (I have no connection, other than being impressed with
> the product. You can find them via google at your own expence/time). I
> am back down there in 2 weeks and might take home a few more to inspect
> (how do I do a salivating smiley? Anyone.)

I don't buy shop pasties dear, thank you all the same. I always make my
own - I have Cornish connections you see and once you've had one of mine
you wouldn't want to to back to mass produced. There is a small shop I know
of in Cornwall that make traditional pasties and they are not bad, very
similar to mine but to be frank, most shop pasties are absolutely awful.
Sadly The Gorge is now too commercialised. At this time of year it is
practically deserted and I find it at its best but come the warmer weather
tourists will flock there cash in hand to buy up all the cheese, sweets,
cider and strawberries and I will be shopping at Asda.

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:08:26 +0000, (Gregoire
Kretz) wrote:

>Jerry Avins > wrote:
>
>> Dave wrote:

>> > (how do I do a salivating smiley? Anyone.)

>> We'll have to work on that one.

>)~~~
>
>Use the alt+n thingy used for the spanish ñ.
>

>Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Mrs Bonk wrote:

> I don't buy shop pasties dear, thank you all the same. I always make my
> own - I have Cornish connections you see and once you've had one of mine
> you wouldn't want to to back to mass produced. There is a small shop I know
> of in Cornwall that make traditional pasties and they are not bad, very
> similar to mine but to be frank, most shop pasties are absolutely awful.
> Sadly The Gorge is now too commercialised. At this time of year it is
> practically deserted and I find it at its best but come the warmer weather
> tourists will flock there cash in hand to buy up all the cheese, sweets,
> cider and strawberries and I will be shopping at Asda.

You say in the same paragraph that you only have the best Cornish
pasties, albeit either your own, or from a genuine pasty shop and then
go onto saying that you shop at one of the world's worst shops. (Asda)

Dear, I rest my case. :-)

Dave
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 16 Jan 2007 13:25:08 -0000, "Mrs Bonk" >
wrote:

>I don't buy shop pasties dear, thank you all the same. I always make my
>own - I have Cornish connections you see and once you've had one of mine
>you wouldn't want to to back to mass produced.

Then you should post the recipe so we can try it.

Serene
--
"I can't decide if I feel more like four ten-year-olds or ten four-year-olds." Laurie Anderson , on turning 40.

http://serenejournal.livejournal.com
Posted to rec.food.cooking,uk.food+drink.misc,alt.recipes,alt.cooking-chat,alt.cheese

Dave wrote:
> Mrs Bonk wrote:
>

>> I don't buy shop pasties dear, thank you all the same. I always make my
>> own - I have Cornish connections you see and once you've had one of mine
>> you wouldn't want to to back to mass produced. There is a small shop I
>> know of in Cornwall that make traditional pasties and they are not bad,
>> very similar to mine but to be frank, most shop pasties are absolutely
>> awful. Sadly The Gorge is now too commercialised. At this time of year
>> it is practically deserted and I find it at its best but come the warmer
>> weather tourists will flock there cash in hand to buy up all the cheese,
>> sweets, cider and strawberries and I will be shopping at Asda.

> You say in the same paragraph that you only have the best Cornish
> pasties, albeit either your own, or from a genuine pasty shop and then
> go onto saying that you shop at one of the world's worst shops. (Asda)
>
> Dear, I rest my case. :-)

I'm not sure I understand what your "case" is!
I don't agree that Asda is one of the world's worst. It is, imo, on a par
with the other leading supermarkets around here. As I've fallen out with
Tesco over a lemon jelly (V) and various other things over the years, I no
longer wish to give them my custom, so Asda is the next nearest for my "big
shop".
I buy fruit and veg at the market and try whenever possible to use small
shops around my home but for the larger heavier items I can get a free bus
to Asda and the driver helps me with my purchase so I am well suited with
them.
I may even buy from them online soon, just the heavy items and things I buy
in bulk.