Old 03-12-2006, 06:06 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Favorite bleu cheese?

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

Old 03-12-2006, 06:18 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lobster Man wrote:
I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

The spanish mirableu, hands down, my absolute favorite
it's made with a sheep's milk. Milk, creamy, tangy. delicious

--
..:Heather:.
www.velvet-c.com
Old 03-12-2006, 07:16 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lobster Man" wrote in message

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

I think I'm primarily partial to Maytag blue. I have tried blues from the
Rogue Creamery in Oregon, but I still prefer the Maytag blue.

Old 03-12-2006, 07:17 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Lobster Man" wrote in message
I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

I have these same cravings. My bleu cheese one just kicked in again.

I prefer the Danish varieties I have tried. My favorite lately is just
a crisp salad with crumbled bleu cheese and a light vinaigrette. I
find I need very little dressing when I use bleu cheese. I love
mushrooms with this salad, and a few chopped black olives and
sweet onion bits.

Old 03-12-2006, 10:02 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 02 Dec 2006 23:06:36 -0700, Lobster Man
wrote:

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

My absolute favorite is French: Fourme d'Ambert. Next I like Italian
Gorgonzola dolce, French Roquefort (the Papillon brand is especially
good) and a specialty from Savoie which is difficult to find,
Reblochon bleu.

Nathalie in Switzerland

Old 03-12-2006, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
Lobster Man wrote:

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

Brie is #1 followed closely by cream Havarti.
Munster cheese is next followed by a good, ripe Monterey Jack.

I'm not overly fond of Bleu and prefer Camembert to it.

Munster makes a really excellent cheese log.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Old 03-12-2006, 03:20 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Stilton! Second to that, probably Maytag bleu.

And I must say, althought I usually prefer mine straight-up (with no
additions like cranberries, etc.), I found an amazing stilton with
carmelized onions at Trader Joe's.

Enjoy your "Bleu Period"! (OK, somewhat bad joke...)

Kris

Old 03-12-2006, 04:38 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

Roquefort is the queen of blues for me and I adore Stilton, too.

http://www.foodsubs.com/Cheblue.html

This page lists a lot of different blues. Look up your favorites, read
their descriptions and then you might be able to branch out to try
some other blues if you have a well-stocked cheese monger nearby

Boron
Old 03-12-2006, 05:01 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

At our place we like the Danish blue cheeses for their pleasing bite at
(usually) more reasonable prices than the French roquefort. At its best
roquefort is unequalled imo, but way too expensive for frequent
consumption.

Recently we tried something called Cambozola from Germany, a mild and
creamy combination of Camembert and Gorgonzola. Very nice, but it
didn't have quite as much blue cheese kick as I would have preferred.

Bob
====================
In article ,
says...

Old 03-12-2006, 06:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Horses for courses surely ? There can't be a 1 cheese fits all in my
mind. Danish Blue spread thickly on fresh baguette is wonderfull as a
snack, ripe Stilton with port at the end of nice meal is sublime, in
between you can fit in all the rest depending on circumstance and budget.

Steve

Old 03-12-2006, 08:43 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lobster Man wrote:
I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

Favorite? Danish Rosenborg Blue, in the big, round wheel configuration.
Most roqueforts.
Many gorgonzolas are OK.
I don't like Maytag blue. There's a strange flavor to it.
There's a nice Spanish blue whose name I can't recall.

gloria p
Old 03-12-2006, 09:08 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

http://www.amazon.com/Roaring-Fortie.../dp/B0000D9N6V

This is the best blue cheese I've ever had if you're looking for a
creamy, sweeter blue. It's available at local gourmet markets where I
live in Seattle, but you can order it too.
Old 03-12-2006, 09:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ham Sulu" ha scritto nel messaggio
http://www.amazon.com/Roaring-Fortie.../dp/B0000D9N6V

This is the best blue cheese I've ever had if you're looking for a creamy,
sweeter blue. It's available at local gourmet markets where I live in
Seattle, but you can order it too.

Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh! It's very similar to our "Gorgonzola cheese"!!!
Indeed!
They say that in Gorgonzola cheese live worms !!! I don't know if it is real
..

--
Kisses
Pandora

Old 03-12-2006, 09:37 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lobster Man wrote:

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese. I've got like five or six different varieties in
the fridge right now.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

So far, I think I like the Danish and US Amish bleus over the British
Stilton or French cheeses.

There's some very good stuff coming out of Oregon, these days, very
strongly flavoured, took me few bites to appreciate it, was stronger
than the danish or french blue i often buy.
--
JL
Old 04-12-2006, 02:21 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

Lobster Man wrote in news:XPtch.86531$Vu4.70984
@newsfe10.phx:

I go through phases where I absolutely crave various foods. My current
craving is bleu cheese.

I'm just curious what everyone's favorites are?

Roquefort and Valdeon.

(I've never understood the phrase "bleu cheese". Surely it should be
either "blue cheese" or "fromage bleu"?)