Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Default How do I cook a goose breast?

I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
readers).

I've read I shouldn't treat it like a duck breast, but I can't find many
recipes. Any suggestions?
Thanks

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
> readers).
>
> I've read I shouldn't treat it like a duck breast, but I can't find many
> recipes. Any suggestions?
> Thanks

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/rosemar...st/detail.aspx

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
> readers).
>
> I've read I shouldn't treat it like a duck breast, but I can't find many
> recipes. Any suggestions?
> Thanks
>
> Doug
> --
> Doug Weller --
> A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
> Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

Hi Doug, these recipes are on uktv food website:
http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/food.recipe/aid/576993
http://uktv.co.uk/index.cfm/uktv/food.recipe/aid/517320

Sarah

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
> readers).

Put it in the oven!

Alan

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:08:59 GMT, Doug Weller
> wrote:

|I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
|readers).

Thanks I will look at our Lidl on Tuesday.
--
Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

I love goose. But for that price, they will be intensively reared, I
suppose?
Kathleen Roberts

"Dave Fawthrop" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 18:08:59 GMT, Doug Weller
> > wrote:
>
> |I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
> |readers).
>
> Thanks I will look at our Lidl on Tuesday.
> --
> Dave Fawthrop <dave hyphenologist co uk> Google Groups is IME the *worst*
> method of accessing usenet. GG subscribers would be well advised get a
> newsreader, say Agent, and a newsserver, say news.individual.net. These
> will allow them: to see only *new* posts, a killfile, and other goodies.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:34:51 GMT, in uk.food+drink.misc, Alan Holmes
wrote:

>"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
>> readers).

>Put it in the oven!

Bad idea to try to cook frozen meat in the oven. Thanks for being so
unhelpful.
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Kathleen Roberts > wrote:
> I love goose. But for that price, they will be intensively reared, I
> suppose?
> Kathleen Roberts

Almost certainly are unless they say otherwise.

Jane

--

Jane Gillett : : Totnes, Devon.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 17 Dec 2006 23:34:51 GMT, in uk.food+drink.misc, Alan Holmes
> wrote:
>

>>"Doug Weller" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> I've just bought a frozen 2 1/4 lb goose breast (from Lidl for my UK
>>> readers).

>>Put it in the oven!

> Bad idea to try to cook frozen meat in the oven. Thanks for being so
> unhelpful.

Yu could defrost it first!

> --
> Doug Weller --
> A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
> Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

I ended up with this recipe:
Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze
Yields 4 servings.

4 goose breasts
salt to taste
1 dash dry vermouth (optional)
1 tablespoon grated orange zest
1 orange, juiced
1 teaspoon lemon juice
1 teaspoon brown sugar
1 clove garlic, minced
1 tablespoon soy sauce
1/2 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 teaspoon caraway seeds

Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).

Rinse the breasts in cold water, and place in baking dish. Splash with
vermouth, then season with salt; set aside.

In a medium bowl, combine orange zest, orange juice, lemon juice, brown
sugar, garlic and soy sauce. Season with mustard and caraway. Pour glaze
over breasts in baking dish.

Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

I simply put the goose in a crockpot with the ingredients (used port
instead of vermouth), and it was great -- sliced very well too.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller > wrote:

> Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

<snip>
> Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
> run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.

Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
and the meat came out beautifully pink.
Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 31 Dec 2006 22:08:35 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Duncan Booth wrote:

>Doug Weller > wrote:
>
>> Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

><snip>
>> Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
>> run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.
>>

>Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
>We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
>and the meat came out beautifully pink.

That's certainly the case with duck, it's best pink.

Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

On 31 Dec 2006 22:08:35 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Duncan Booth wrote:

>Doug Weller > wrote:
>
>> Wild Goose Breasts with Orange Glaze

><snip>
>> Bake in preheated oven for 30 minutes, or until no longer pink and juices
>> run clear. Baste at least twice during baking.
>>

>Personally, I think goose breasts are much better when cooked pink.
>We did a goose for Christmas using Gordon Ramsay's Christmas Goose recipe
>and the meat came out beautifully pink.

I slowcooked it and it came out pink, very nice.
Doug
--
Doug Weller --
A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Doug Weller wrote:

> I slowcooked it and it came out pink, very nice.
> Doug
> --
> Doug Weller --
> A Director and Moderator of The Hall of Ma'at http://www.hallofmaat.com
> Doug's Archaeology Site: http://www.ramtops.co.uk

I was in a restaurant in France and I ordered goose which came out
very, very pink with a healthy halo of blood. I hissed at my husband
that I really couldn't eat it as I was sure I would end up with
mixametosis or even die!! He laughed and told me to look around at the
clientele, all French and obviously all regulars as they were waving
and greeting each other. They must have been in their 80s and older.
My husband said that if they ate this fare and they survived to a great
age, then I should tuck in!

I did, wondering and waiting for the gurgling and explosions to start
in my lower stomach to indicate that I was, as usual, correct about
undercooked pork, chicken, duck and goose - not a sound - no wonder my
family tell me I can't cook.

Judith - at home in England.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

"judith lea" > wrote:

> I was in a restaurant in France and I ordered goose which came out
> very, very pink with a healthy halo of blood. I hissed at my husband
> that I really couldn't eat it as I was sure I would end up with
> mixametosis or even die!! He laughed and told me to look around at
> the clientele, all French and obviously all regulars as they were
> waving and greeting each other. They must have been in their 80s and
> older. My husband said that if they ate this fare and they survived to
> a great age, then I should tuck in!

It is quite hard to get reliable facts about the safe temperatures for
cooking. For example, the USDA says that duck and goose must reach an
internal temperature of 165F (74C), and various UK websites I found said
that if not cooked to 70C there was a risk of salmonella.

I think the problem is that there are two variables he not just the
temperature, but also the time the meat is held at that temperature is
important. For simplicity most of the advice is based on the assumption
that the food is heated to a temperature where the bugs are killed almost
instantly, but you can get the same effect by holding it at a lower
temperature for longer.

According to Heston Blumenthal (writing about turkeys, but I think the same
goes for ducks and geese):

> All pathogens (those nasty bugs of which salmonella and campylobacter
> are just two) are killed if you hold the internal temperature of the
> turkey at 60C for a minimum of 12 minutes. You can achieve the same
> effect at a lower temperature, though you'd need to maintain the
> internal temperature for longer. (By the same token, at a higher
> internal temperature, it takes less time.)

Whether that applied also to your French goose breast is of course another
question entirely.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Duncan Booth wrote:
> It is quite hard to get reliable facts about the safe temperatures for
> cooking. For example, the USDA says that duck and goose must reach an
> internal temperature of 165F (74C), and various UK websites I found said
> that if not cooked to 70C there was a risk of salmonella.

snip

>> Whether that applied also to your French goose breast is of course another

> question entirely.

Goodness knows but I am still breathing and I can safely say that there
were no explosions in my stomach - sometimes they have been so loud I
am sure the neighbours can hear!

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

judith lea wrote:
> Duncan Booth wrote:
> > It is quite hard to get reliable facts about the safe temperatures for
> > cooking. For example, the USDA says that duck and goose must reach an
> > internal temperature of 165F (74C), and various UK websites I found said
> > that if not cooked to 70C there was a risk of salmonella.

> snip
>
> >> Whether that applied also to your French goose breast is of course another

> > question entirely.

> Goodness knows but I am still breathing and I can safely say that there
> were no explosions in my stomach - sometimes they have been so loud I
> am sure the neighbours can hear!

I think there is paranoia in those temperature figures. If you know
your meat you can easily have rare anything if you like it. The best
goose breast I ever had was made by a Belgian friend and was quickly
seared at atomic temperatures and rare as rare can be. Splendid. Pork
which is lean is commonly served pink here and is better for it.
There has not been a case of trichinosis in Italy since about the
Thirties. That said, I don't do it if I don't know the meat and its
provenance.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Umbrian wrote:

> I think there is paranoia in those temperature figures.

My husband, the chef, would agree with that.

Pork
> which is lean is commonly served pink here and is better for it.
> There has not been a case of trichinosis in Italy since about the
> Thirties. That said, I don't do it if I don't know the meat and its
> provenance.

I cooked (I mean me,not Edeward) wild boar in France on Boxing Day, I
was told, by my French neighbours that I had to cook it for 4 hours, I
did but in a marinade and I have to admit a baby without teeth could
have eaten it. So obviously the myth about pork, which Sanglier is,
exists in France. Would you serve Sanglier pink? I only ask as Edward
now hunts, only to eat, I add not just for sport, and I expect I will
be cooking it again.

Another question would you eat Deer pink?

Judith at home in England

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

judith lea wrote:
> Umbrian wrote:
> >
> > I think there is paranoia in those temperature figures.

> My husband, the chef, would agree with that.
>
> Pork
> > which is lean is commonly served pink here and is better for it.
> > There has not been a case of trichinosis in Italy since about the
> > Thirties. That said, I don't do it if I don't know the meat and its
> > provenance.

> I cooked (I mean me,not Edeward) wild boar in France on Boxing Day, I
> was told, by my French neighbours that I had to cook it for 4 hours, I
> did but in a marinade and I have to admit a baby without teeth could
> have eaten it. So obviously the myth about pork, which Sanglier is,
> exists in France. Would you serve Sanglier pink? I only ask as Edward
> now hunts, only to eat, I add not just for sport, and I expect I will
> be cooking it again.
>
> Another question would you eat Deer pink?
>
> Judith at home in England

I would eat almost anything pink, and sometimes much prefer red. I
prefer most poultry just-cooked and use my thermometer to get it that
way.
Our comparable meat here is cinghiale, wild and shot, so I would think
about it. Is there trichinosis in the wild pig population? I don't
know. Thing is, it is often stringy, so chances are it would be better
the way it usually is cooked-- long and slow.
I always made venison really rare. It just has so little internal fat.
I used to have a marinade and glaze recipe that had something like 27
ingredients! Nowadays I am more Italianate and don't crowd my recipes,
but I have to admit it was good.
Bear I probably would not eat rare, since at least in the US bears
often carry trichinosis, but actually I wouldn't eat it. I find it
deeply unappealing.

Posted to uk.food+drink.misc,rec.food.cooking

Umbrian wrote:
> judith lea wrote:

> > Another question would you eat Deer pink?
> >
> > Judith at home in England

> I would eat almost anything pink, and sometimes much prefer red. I
> prefer most poultry just-cooked and use my thermometer to get it that
> way.
> Our comparable meat here is cinghiale, wild and shot, so I would think
> about it. Is there trichinosis in the wild pig population? I don't
> know. Thing is, it is often stringy, so chances are it would be better
> the way it usually is cooked-- long and slow.

Good, so I got something right although I know nothing about
Trichinosis and that is a question that should be asked before I eat it
again.

> I always made venison really rare. It just has so little internal fat.
> I used to have a marinade and glaze recipe that had something like 27
> ingredients! Nowadays I am more Italianate and don't crowd my recipes

I now realise who Umbrian is, do you have a web site?

> but I have to admit it was good.
> Bear I probably would not eat rare, since at least in the US bears
> often carry trichinosis, but actually I wouldn't eat it. I find it
> deeply unappealing.

I ate bear in the USSR some 30 years ago, it was cooked like a beef
stew but unfortunately the amount I was served would have been more
adequate for 2 dockers eating off the same plate. I don't have any
memory of it not tasting nice but I do have an overriding memory of too
much meat being served every day including a hot meat type soup for
breakfast.

Judith at home in England