Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default King Crab legs

I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm going
to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have sweet
potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message
>I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm
>going to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms,
>green onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
>Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have
>sweet potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower
>and beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> Janet

Personally I like carrots. Roasted carrots are fine; do then in a pan until
they are done to death and they are great.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message
> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

going
> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

sweet
> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> Janet

If I were to crank up the grill to warm up something that's already cooked,
I'd grill the zucchini.
It would be my only real excuse for turning it on.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet B." > wrote:

> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm going
> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have sweet
> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> Janet

Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

A mix of zucchini, green and red peppers, onions and cauliflower sounds
nice. I have a fondness for veggie mixes. You can kebab the squash,
onions and peppers if you cut the squash about 1" thick. It works very
well. Not sure if cauliflower would go on a skewer without splitting.

Mushrooms also go well skewered and grilled.

I marinate grilling veggies with italian salad dressing usually.

I've got to shrink and post the pictures of my last grilling session one
of these days...

Cheers!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news snip
> A mix of zucchini, green and red peppers, onions and cauliflower sounds
> nice. I have a fondness for veggie mixes. You can kebab the squash,
> onions and peppers if you cut the squash about 1" thick. It works very
> well. Not sure if cauliflower would go on a skewer without splitting.

snip...

> Cheers!
> --
> Peace, Om

I just recommended this mix in another thread. . .don't know why I didn't
think of it and the cauliflower sounds like a nice addition. Thanks. That
makes more sense than heating up the oven just for sprouts. ;o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet B." > wrote:

> "OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
> news > snip
> > A mix of zucchini, green and red peppers, onions and cauliflower sounds
> > nice. I have a fondness for veggie mixes. You can kebab the squash,
> > onions and peppers if you cut the squash about 1" thick. It works very
> > well. Not sure if cauliflower would go on a skewer without splitting.
> >

> snip...
> >
> > Cheers!
> > --
> > Peace, Om
> >

> I just recommended this mix in another thread. . .don't know why I didn't
> think of it and the cauliflower sounds like a nice addition. Thanks. That
> makes more sense than heating up the oven just for sprouts. ;o}
> Janet

If yer gonna grill. grill it all! <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Janet B." > wrote:
>
> > I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

going
> > to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> > onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> > Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

sweet
> > potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower

and
> > beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> > Janet

> Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
> It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!
>
> A mix of zucchini, green and red peppers, onions and cauliflower sounds
> nice. I have a fondness for veggie mixes. You can kebab the squash,
> onions and peppers if you cut the squash about 1" thick. It works very
> well. Not sure if cauliflower would go on a skewer without splitting.
>
> Mushrooms also go well skewered and grilled.
>
> I marinate grilling veggies with italian salad dressing usually.
>
> I've got to shrink and post the pictures of my last grilling session one
> of these days...
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Peace, Om
>
> Remove _ to validate e-mails.
>
> "My mother never saw the irony in calling me a Son of a bitch" -- Jack

Nicholson

Microwave two tablespoons of real butter, five grinds pepper and pinch of
garlic salt.
Toss Asparagus in mixture then grill.
If your going to crank up the grill to warm up something that's already
cooked do the entire menu on the grill, because the worst thing about
grilling is running back and forth into the house checking on things. Grab
a beer and sit outside in your down coat to grill some peach halves, pears,
bananas etc. for desert, grill some quartered ridicio, a vine full of
cherry tomatoes coated with evoo, salt, pepper and shredded parm add several
grilled green onions and your favorite dressing for a warm salad.
Unless you live in Alaska the king crab legs you purchase are already
cooked. All your doing is thawing them out and warming them up then adding
your favorite flavors. Warming them up for a few minutes in the microwave
is as reasonable as heating up a $2000.00 dollar, stainless steel, forty
thousand BTU grill. If your going to waste that much energy at least cook
something else while your doing it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "Janet B." wrote:
>>
>> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm
>> going
>> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
>> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
>> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have
>> sweet
>> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
>> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
>> Janet

> I saw if on sale here for an unbelievable low price a few weeks
> ago. That was the day that I had gone down to drive my mother
> around to do banking, shopping etc. The crab was frozen and it
> was going to take too long to get home :-(

$10/lb. is an unbelievable price around here. Usual is $14-15 for little
bitty guys that are all shell and no meat. These legs called out to me 'o}
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Michael "Dog3" Lonergan" > wrote in message
6.121...
> "Janet B." >
> :
>
>> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm
>> going to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms,
>> green onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I
>> have Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also
>> have sweet potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers,
>> cauliflower and beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would
>> be a good veggie? Janet

> If you're doing drawn butter with the legs ya' best get to the store and
> get some asparagus
>
> Michael

No way. I just got back from the store -- I just wasn't thinking about
veggies for the dinner tonight. I had my list and I stuck to it. I don't
even remember seeing asparagus. It was probably there but it just didn't
hit my brain.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Muddle" > wrote in message
et...

snip

> Microwave two tablespoons of real butter, five grinds pepper and pinch of
> garlic salt.
> Toss Asparagus in mixture then grill.
> If your going to crank up the grill to warm up something that's already
> cooked do the entire menu on the grill, because the worst thing about
> grilling is running back and forth into the house checking on things.
> Grab
> a beer and sit outside in your down coat to grill some peach halves,
> pears,
> bananas etc. for desert, grill some quartered ridicio, a vine full of
> cherry tomatoes coated with evoo, salt, pepper and shredded parm add
> several
> grilled green onions and your favorite dressing for a warm salad.
> Unless you live in Alaska the king crab legs you purchase are already
> cooked. All your doing is thawing them out and warming them up then
> adding
> your favorite flavors. Warming them up for a few minutes in the microwave
> is as reasonable as heating up a $2000.00 dollar, stainless steel, forty
> thousand BTU grill. If your going to waste that much energy at least cook
> something else while your doing it.

It isn't a $2000 stainless steel and it doesn't take all that long to heat
up. My choice for grilling was solely because the legs are longer than
anything I have except maybe the roasting pan. Everything else sounds good
though except the tomatoes. I just never could like squishy, warm, split
skinned tomatoes. Ugh. I don't believe the legs will fit in the MW either.
Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
>It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

I think all she needs is salad.

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm
going
> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

sweet
> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> Janet

Where I live, vegetables are wasted when served with shell-creatures of any
sort...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." wrote:

> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm going
> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have sweet
> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> Janet

I saw if on sale here for an unbelievable low price a few weeks
ago. That was the day that I had gone down to drive my mother
around to do banking, shopping etc. The crab was frozen and it
was going to take too long to get home :-(
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"OmManiPadmeOmelet" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Janet B." > wrote:
>
> > I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

going
> > to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> > onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> > Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

sweet
> > potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower

and
> > beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> > Janet

> Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
> It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!
>
> A mix of zucchini, green and red peppers, onions and cauliflower sounds
> nice. I have a fondness for veggie mixes. You can kebab the squash,
> onions and peppers if you cut the squash about 1" thick. It works very
> well. Not sure if cauliflower would go on a skewer without splitting.
>
> Mushrooms also go well skewered and grilled.
>
> I marinate grilling veggies with italian salad dressing usually.
>
> I've got to shrink and post the pictures of my last grilling session one
> of these days...
>
> Cheers!
> --
> Peace, Om

I'm 100% absolutely with you on this one, Kat, as usual. :~)

kili

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
>>Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
>>It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

> I think all she needs is salad.
>
> --

I need to eat cooked foods right now. No salad stuff in the house. Thanks
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> "Janet B." wrote:
>>

>> $10/lb. is an unbelievable price around here. Usual is $14-15 for little
>> bitty guys that are all shell and no meat. These legs called out to me
>> 'o}
>> Janet

> They were even less than $10 per pound. They were either $7.99 or
> $8.99 per pound. I could not believe how good a deal it sounded.
> I was really disappointed about the logistical problem. I didn't
> want to buy them at a bargain price and then have them go bad on
> me.

What a bummer. At that price I could see eating them more than once in a
blue moon.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"~-x-y-~" > wrote in message
>> I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

> going
>> to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
>> onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
>> Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

> sweet
>> potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
>> beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
>> Janet

> Where I live, vegetables are wasted when served with shell-creatures of
> any
> sort...

We can't afford to pig out on shell-creatures. We need to stretch the
experience with side dishes. ;o{
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Dave Smith > wrote:

> "Janet B." wrote:
> >

> > $10/lb. is an unbelievable price around here. Usual is $14-15 for little
> > bitty guys that are all shell and no meat. These legs called out to me 'o}
> > Janet

> They were even less than $10 per pound. They were either $7.99 or
> $8.99 per pound. I could not believe how good a deal it sounded.
> I was really disappointed about the logistical problem. I didn't
> want to buy them at a bargain price and then have them go bad on
> me.

Most stores will ice down seafood for you?
That's what I have done when I'm shopping around austin.

How long was it going to be?
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, sf wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
> >Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
> >It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

> I think all she needs is salad.

Good thinking but does she have the makings for one?

I was working off her list.
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article <ZS91h.215821$1T2.26910@pd7urf2no>,
"~-x-y-~" > wrote:

> > I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

> going
> > to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> > onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> > Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

> sweet
> > potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> > beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> > Janet

> Where I live, vegetables are wasted when served with shell-creatures of any
> sort...

I do generally make sides to go with crustaceans, but I admit that they
generally mostly end up as leftovers. ;-) Sometimes they even end up in
a morning omelet or fritatta. Grilled veggies are wonderful mixed with
eggs and cheese!
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"kilikini" > wrote:

> I'm 100% absolutely with you on this one, Kat, as usual. :~)
>
> kili

You have good taste! <lol>
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." wrote:

> $10/lb. is an unbelievable price around here. Usual is $14-15 for little
> bitty guys that are all shell and no meat. These legs called out to me 'o}
> Janet

They were even less than $10 per pound. They were either $7.99 or
$8.99 per pound. I could not believe how good a deal it sounded.
I was really disappointed about the logistical problem. I didn't
want to buy them at a bargain price and then have them go bad on
me.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message

> <sf> wrote in message ...
> > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > > wrote:
> >
> >>Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
> >>It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

> > I think all she needs is salad.
> >
> > --

> I need to eat cooked foods right now. No salad stuff in the house.

Thanks
> Janet

What your saying is you don't plan a menu when you purchase expensive
proteins on sale while your at the grocery store. Grill those Brussels
sprouts on low heat after tossing in butter, salt, pepper.
It's the only reason you've got to turn the grill on, because the crab legs
are already cooked, you're just warming them up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

~-x-y-~ wrote:

> > I scored some King crab legs for $10 a pound yesterday at Costco. I'm

> going
> > to do them on the grill and have a pilaf with onions, mushrooms, green
> > onions and a bit of parsley for a side. What about a veggie? I have
> > Brussels sprouts and I was thinking of roasting them. But I also have

> sweet
> > potatoes, zucchini, winter squash, green and red peppers, cauliflower and
> > beets. What say you? Given what I have, what would be a good veggie?
> > Janet

> Where I live, vegetables are wasted when served with shell-creatures of any
> sort...

Too true. King crab legs are so good that they need no vegetarian
decoration.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Muddle" > wrote in message
. ..

> "Janet B." > wrote in message
>>
>> <sf> wrote in message ...
>> > On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet

>> > I think all she needs is salad.
>> >
>> > --

>> I need to eat cooked foods right now. No salad stuff in the house.

> Thanks
>> Janet
>>

> What your saying is you don't plan a menu when you purchase expensive
> proteins on sale while your at the grocery store. Grill those Brussels
> sprouts on low heat after tossing in butter, salt, pepper.
> It's the only reason you've got to turn the grill on, because the crab
> legs
> are already cooked, you're just warming them up.

You should have said you were with the Food Police. So sue me. I did hear
you the first two times you said they were already cooked. I was politely
ignoring you.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:59:08 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> wrote:

>In article >, sf wrote:
>
>> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >Asparagus... but you did not list that. ;-)
>> >It's my personal veggie of choice with crab!

>> I think all she needs is salad.

>Good thinking but does she have the makings for one?
>
>I was working off her list.

Now, now Kat.... we know people usually have something in reserve.
Unfortunately, she doesn't at this point. I think she went hog wild
shopping but forgot all about the salad fixings. lol

<ducking fast because Janet has a mean left hook>

--
See return address to reply by email
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 16:59:08 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >, sf wrote:
>>
>>> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 14:54:31 -0600, OmManiPadmeOmelet

>>> I think all she needs is salad.

>>Good thinking but does she have the makings for one?
>>
>>I was working off her list.

> Now, now Kat.... we know people usually have something in reserve.
> Unfortunately, she doesn't at this point. I think she went hog wild
> shopping but forgot all about the salad fixings. lol
>
> <ducking fast because Janet has a mean left hook>

Who said???? I'm a nice, soft-hearted human bean -- well, most often I am.
I'm just not eating raw veggies right now.

The radiation treatments I had last spring did a real number on my innards
and they knot up something fierce. I've only just begun eating again
(truly) after nibbling at bits of things all summer. Lost 60 pounds. But I
still have to be cautious. I still eat small amounts every 3-4 hours,
sometimes even midnight or 3 a.m. just to keep from overloading or getting
empty at any one time. So the crab legs were a real treat. Lots of
leftovers on the rice (part of diet) that I can have as a midnight snack.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Janet B." > wrote:

> >>I was working off her list.

> > Now, now Kat.... we know people usually have something in reserve.
> > Unfortunately, she doesn't at this point. I think she went hog wild
> > shopping but forgot all about the salad fixings. lol
> >
> > <ducking fast because Janet has a mean left hook>
> >

> Who said???? I'm a nice, soft-hearted human bean -- well, most often I am.
> I'm just not eating raw veggies right now.
>
> The radiation treatments I had last spring did a real number on my innards
> and they knot up something fierce. I've only just begun eating again
> (truly) after nibbling at bits of things all summer. Lost 60 pounds. But I
> still have to be cautious. I still eat small amounts every 3-4 hours,
> sometimes even midnight or 3 a.m. just to keep from overloading or getting
> empty at any one time. So the crab legs were a real treat. Lots of
> leftovers on the rice (part of diet) that I can have as a midnight snack.
> Janet

What? No jpegs? :-o

Glad you are doing better sweetie!
That's the hard way to lose weight.... :-(
--
Peace, Om

Remove _ to validate e-mails.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 18:00:07 -0700, "Janet B." >
> wrote:
>
>> The radiation treatments I had last spring did a real number on my
>> innards
>>and they knot up something fierce. I've only just begun eating again
>>(truly) after nibbling at bits of things all summer. Lost 60 pounds. But
>>still have to be cautious. I still eat small amounts every 3-4 hours,
>>sometimes even midnight or 3 a.m. just to keep from overloading or getting
>>empty at any one time. So the crab legs were a real treat. Lots of
>>leftovers on the rice (part of diet) that I can have as a midnight snack.

> Sorry Janet, I was just joshing with you.... thanks for sharing with
> us! I didn't know the real story!
>
> --

Hey! No need for sorry! I know you were joshing, no problem. The joshing
felt good. Thanks.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

<sf> wrote in message ...
> On Sun, 29 Oct 2006 15:47:22 -0700, "Janet B." >
> wrote:
>
>>We can't afford to pig out on shell-creatures. We need to stretch the
>>experience with side dishes. ;o{

> The two things that go perfectly with crab are bread and salad.
> Just my 2¢. I know your circumstance. Here's something to tickle
> your fancy... http://www.fishermansexpress.com/crabrecipes.html

Great site, thanks. All the pretty pictures makes it hard to decide which
recipe to try.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet B." > wrote in message

> "Muddle" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >> I need to eat cooked foods right now. No salad stuff in the house.

> > Thanks
> >> Janet
> >>

> > What your saying is you don't plan a menu when you purchase expensive
> > proteins on sale while your at the grocery store. Grill those Brussels
> > sprouts on low heat after tossing in butter, salt, pepper.
> > It's the only reason you've got to turn the grill on, because the crab
> > legs
> > are already cooked, you're just warming them up.
> >

> You should have said you were with the Food Police. So sue me. I did

hear
> you the first two times you said they were already cooked. I was politely
> ignoring you.

So your essentially bragging about your shopping skills when it comes to
scoring expensive protein rather than asking for any actual advice on what
to serve with it. Your going to heat up a 40,000 BTU grill to warm up
precooked meat for a couple of min and not cook anything else on it. I'll
bet you drive a huge dodge truck and never haul anything in it either.