Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default clam linguini recipe(s)

One time on Usenet, Alan Moorman said:

> I used to make this as a simple sorta college-dorm food.
>
> But, I've never known how it was really supposed to be made!
>
> Any ideas you would like to post? (No, don't tell me to Google it,
> I want you guys' advice!)

Ooooh, weird coincidence! I'm making this Friday night for dinner.
We were going to have it tonight, but the guys wanted foil babies,
(aka Hobo dinners). Anyway, this is my recipe for linguini w/clams,
originally from my wok cookbook and adapted by us rfc-ers -- I
couldn't say if this is how it's "supposed" to be done, but it
sure tastes good:

Linguini With Clams

1/2 C. clam juice, FROM
2, 6 1/2 oz. cans minced clams, drained
(OR cooked fresh clams, see below)
1 T. extra virgin olive oil
2 cloves garlic, minced
1-2 tsp. shallots, minced
1 T. flour
1 C. milk
2 T. parsley
Salt and Pepper to taste
3/4 C. shredded fresh parmesan cheese
8 oz. linguini or spaghetti, cooked and drained

Heat oil to med-high, add shallots and cook until softened. Add
garlic and sauté for 1-2 minutes more. Add flour and parsley. Slowly
add milk and clam juice, stirring well after each addition. Simmer
until slightly thickened and bubbly, then one additional minute,
stirring constantly. Season with salt and pepper to taste, keeping
in mind that the cheese will add some salt flavor. Add clams, then
cheese, stir until heated and thick. Toss with noodles until combined
and heated through. Great with garlic bread. Serves 3-4.

Additional options:

Instead of milk:

Add some white wine and some clam juice and let reduce by about
half.

Using fresh clams:

Rinse the clams in juice then coarsely chop the clams. Strain the
remaining juice in the bowl through a sieve lined with paper towels
(to remove sand) then add to the sauté pan with the other ingredients
and turn up the heat to reduce this juice a little. Right before
serving add the chopped clams to the hot sauce.

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Little Malice said...

> Ooooh, weird coincidence! I'm making this Friday night for dinner.
> We were going to have it tonight, but the guys wanted foil babies,
> (aka Hobo dinners). Anyway, this is my recipe for linguini w/clams,
> originally from my wok cookbook and adapted by us rfc-ers -- I
> couldn't say if this is how it's "supposed" to be done, but it
> sure tastes good:

I was at a co-worker's house for a pool and poker party. His wife make
too large pans of garlic and clam spaghetti. I'd never had it before.

It was so delicious, I had three plates. I ended up asleep on their sofa
the next morning. I looked around and there was a pan of spaghetti on the
kitchen counter. I grabbed another paper plate and resumed where I'd left
off the night before. It was just as delicious cold. YUMMMMM.

I haven't had it or made it since.

I have all the ingredients for your dish and saved your recipe.

Thanks,

Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

One time on Usenet, Andy <q> said:
> Little Malice said...
>
> > Ooooh, weird coincidence! I'm making this Friday night for dinner.
> > We were going to have it tonight, but the guys wanted foil babies,
> > (aka Hobo dinners). Anyway, this is my recipe for linguini w/clams,
> > originally from my wok cookbook and adapted by us rfc-ers -- I
> > couldn't say if this is how it's "supposed" to be done, but it
> > sure tastes good:

> I was at a co-worker's house for a pool and poker party. His wife make
> too large pans of garlic and clam spaghetti. I'd never had it before.
>
> It was so delicious, I had three plates. I ended up asleep on their sofa
> the next morning. I looked around and there was a pan of spaghetti on the
> kitchen counter. I grabbed another paper plate and resumed where I'd left
> off the night before. It was just as delicious cold. YUMMMMM.

Oooh, that does sound really good, even cold.

> I haven't had it or made it since.
>
> I have all the ingredients for your dish and saved your recipe.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Andy

Happy to help... :-)

--
"Little Malice" is Jani in WA
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

Andy wrote:
> Little Malice said...
>
> > Ooooh, weird coincidence! I'm making this Friday night for dinner.
> > We were going to have it tonight, but the guys wanted foil babies,
> > (aka Hobo dinners). Anyway, this is my recipe for linguini w/clams,
> > originally from my wok cookbook and adapted by us rfc-ers -- I
> > couldn't say if this is how it's "supposed" to be done, but it
> > sure tastes good:

Might well be good, but I wouldn't think of making a milk sauce. Nor
do I add parmesan cheese. Mine is simply:

Put the pasta pot of water on to boil.
Chop 2 large cloves garlic.
Optional: chop about the same amount of shallots if you have them
on hand.
Chop a handful of flat leaf parsley.

When water boils, put in linguini and heat a pan over medium-low heat..
It should be large enough to contain the cooked linguini. Add 3 TB
olive oil, garlic, shallots, and two pinches of dried red pepper
flakes. Cook until soft but not browned. Add a splash of white wine
or dry vermouth and raise the heat to bring it to a boil. When it has
reduced somewhat, add the juice from a can of clams and return the heat
to medium so contents are just bubbling. Check the linguini for
doneness, and when it is cooked but still has a little resistance to
the bite in its center, drain it. Add the clams to the pan, stir, then
add the pasta. Toss, add the parsley, and toss again. Serve
immediately. -aem