Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default non-hydrogenated frying oils

Matt wrote:
> I am looking for an oil to use for frying.
>
> I don't want to use hydrogenated oils (notably Crisco and other
> shortenings) because of health concerns.
>
> The problem is that the liquid oils I have tried start to smoke or smell
> rancid when frying.
>
> Specifically I want something for frying french toast or pancakes.
>
> Something that won't smoke or smell bad at frying temperatures.
>
> Thanks.

This is very new to me. Never heard of "frying" French Toast or
pancakes. Can you describe the process in more detail? I'm having
trouble picturing how you'd do either.

As for the oil, you can google for a list of smoke points of cooking
oils and find one you like with a high smoke point.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

salgud wrote:

> This is very new to me. Never heard of "frying" French Toast or
> pancakes. Can you describe the process in more detail? I'm having
> trouble picturing how you'd do either.

http://www.m-w.com/cgi-bin/dictionar...tionary&va=fry
http://dictionary.cambridge.org/defi...fry*1+0&dict=A
http://www.onelook.com/?w=fry&ls=a

Ready made pie crusts with no hydrogenated oils Bryan[_6_] General Cooking 14 02-02-2013 07:05 PM
Oils Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 35 14-02-2010 05:53 PM
Flavored Oils aem General Cooking 3 05-07-2006 06:56 PM
Hydrogenated veg oil - how much is okay ? Steve Marketplace 1 22-12-2004 06:09 PM
Hydrogenated fats in Nitro-Tech bars? Marketplace 9 25-06-2004 01:19 AM