Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Oils

I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.

I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
varieties and their uses.

I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or can I
use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad oil, or too
heavy.

Can't eat canola oil.

On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil, garlic
flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the most number
of recipes. What do you use and like?

So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and flavored
oils.

Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them against my
coumadin encyclopedia first.

What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or should I
keep it refrigerated?

Thanks

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>

> What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or should I
> keep it refrigerated?

The more unsaturated an oil is,the shorter the shelf life. Flax seed
oil needs to be refrigerated, and even then it doesn't last long. Most
other oils can be stored in the pantry. Olive oil will last longer than
peanut oil, which lasts longer than "vegetable" (soybean) oil.
Coconut oil will pretty much last forever without getting rancid.

You can look up a value called the "iodine number" for different oils to
tell you the relative unsaturation. I think it's a unitless number, but
the higher the iodine number, the faster the oil will go rancid.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>>
>> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
>> varieties and their uses.
>>
>> I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or
>> can I use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad
>> oil, or too heavy.
>>
>> Can't eat canola oil.
>>
>> On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil,
>> garlic flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the
>> most number of recipes. What do you use and like?
>>
>> So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and
>> flavored oils.
>>
>> Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them
>> against my coumadin encyclopedia first.
>>
>> What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or
>> should I keep it refrigerated?
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Steve

> How insulting!!!!!! Ya BUM!!!!!!

Huh? You okay?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 18:09:31 -0800, "Steve B"
> wrote:

>I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>
>I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
>varieties and their uses.
>
>I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or can I
>use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad oil, or too
>heavy.
>
>Can't eat canola oil.
>
>On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil, garlic
>flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the most number
>of recipes. What do you use and like?
>
>So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and flavored
>oils.
>
>Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them against my
>coumadin encyclopedia first.
>
>What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or should I
>keep it refrigerated?
>
>Thanks
>
>Steve

There was an interesting (to me) article referenced on my home page.
the URL is:

http://shine.yahoo.com/channel/healt...ir-fry-580576/

The article is mostly about the temperature limits for each of the
oils, but it's a place to start.

Ron Kelley
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 9, 8:09*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>
> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
> varieties and their uses.
>
> I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. *Does it have drawbacks, or can I
> use it instead of veg oil? *Would it be good for say a salad oil, or too
> heavy.
>
> Can't eat canola oil.

Extra virgin olive for when you want that flavor, and peanut as your
neutral oil. I buy peanut in gallons, but I fry a lot.
I find soy (veg) oil to taste bad, and canola to taste awful.

> Thanks
>
> Steve

--Bryan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...

>>> How insulting!!!!!! Ya BUM!!!!!!

>> Huh? You okay?

> Why did you ask if you have the answers in your precious book. Why should
> we bother.
>
> That was one of your more stupid posts.
>
> Andy

A coumadin guide is only a guide for the amount of vitamin K that any food
contains. It is not a guide to things such as temperature range,
refrigeration/preservation techniques, what's the best oil for stir frying,
what's the best oil for salads, etc, etc, etc. I was asking about those
things, and people's favorite oils, and their essential oils, THEN, I would
make the FINAL decision based on the vitamin K content. Oils are one of the
foods that only has a few that are vitamin K rich. Most oils are okay to
use. Since this is a general newsgroup with a lot of varied members, I
thought that there would possibly be a few in here that were coumadin club
members, or perhaps any type of anticoagulant therapy drugs.

The only stupid question is one that is not asked. The only stupid response
is one that attacks the person, but shows no actual knowledge of the
subject.

Read your little computer book there and learn how to use those little arrow
thingies. It is not necessary, nor is it a requirement that you post your
helpful or uninformed comments to every little thread that goes through this
group, you know.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Andy" > wrote in message ...
> Andy > wrote:

>>> Huh? You okay?

>> Why did you ask if you have the answers in your precious book. Why
>> should we bother.
>>
>> That was one of your more stupid posts.
>>
>> Andy

> Well, I wasted time and looked up coumadin. So I'll revise my opinion.
>
> For those of us not in the know, it was a dumb remark at best.
>
> Andy

Then I retract my post I just posted without reading this post from you.
You are a very knowledgeable person, and I have learned a lot from you.

If we both back up far enough, and fast enough, you want to hold hands as we
back off this cliff?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:08:25 -0800, Steve B wrote:

> "Andy" > wrote in message ...
>> "Steve B" > wrote:
>>
>>> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>>>
>>> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
>>> varieties and their uses.
>>>
>>> I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or
>>> can I use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad
>>> oil, or too heavy.
>>>
>>> Can't eat canola oil.
>>>
>>> On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil,
>>> garlic flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the
>>> most number of recipes. What do you use and like?
>>>
>>> So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and
>>> flavored oils.
>>>
>>> Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them
>>> against my coumadin encyclopedia first.
>>>
>>> What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or
>>> should I keep it refrigerated?
>>>
>>> Thanks
>>>
>>> Steve

>> How insulting!!!!!! Ya BUM!!!!!!

> Huh? You okay?
>
> Steve

andy is not now, and has never been, 'okay.'

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 07:08:29 -0600, Andy wrote:

> Stu > wrote:
>
>>>Well, I wasted time and looked up coumadin. So I'll revise my opinion.
>>>
>>>For those of us not in the know, it was a dumb remark at best.
>>>
>>>Andy

>> Not a dumb remark at all . When you are taking certain drugs, you need
>> to have reference to spot potential side effects. You would understand
>> this if you had any sense. Warfarin is even worse, I'm sure a few here
>> are on it, and understand what I'm talking about.

> Hey STUpid,
>
> Try your best to find a woman who will ease your pain and spare rfc your
> "Stu Spu."
>
> LOLOL!!!
>
> Andy

your posts calling people stupid are ever so much more enlightening.

blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu" > wrote in message
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 05:29:20 -0600, Andy > wrote:
>
>>Andy > wrote:

>>> Why did you ask if you have the answers in your precious book. Why
>>> should we bother.
>>>
>>> That was one of your more stupid posts.
>>>
>>> Andy

>>Well, I wasted time and looked up coumadin. So I'll revise my opinion.
>>
>>For those of us not in the know, it was a dumb remark at best.
>>
>>Andy

> Not a dumb remark at all . When you are taking certain drugs, you need
> to have reference to spot potential side effects. You would understand
> this if you had any sense. Warfarin is even worse, I'm sure a few here
> are on it, and understand what I'm talking about.

My wife, bless her pointed head, will believe anything she hears on Oprah,
even if I have told her the exact thing a hundred times. And the same thing
goes for friends of hers. Sometimes she's wrong.

We met an old friend who had MAJOR health problems, and he said what got him
out of the woods was Omega 3 fatty oil pills, available everywhere, and that
I should start taking them, like ten of them a day. He looked one hell of a
lot better than the last time we saw him, I must admit.

So, immediately, my wife brings home about $100 worth of these horse pills.
You needed a broom handle and soapy water to get them down.

I scanned the label. NOT FOR USE BY PEOPLE TAKING ANTICOAGULANT DRUGS,
PERSONS WITH BLEEDING DISORDERS, ETC, ETC, ETC. I showed her. "Well, I
don't see how a few would hurt you."

I am almost eight years past an 8 hour surgery where they took my heart out
of my body, worked on it, and reinstalled it. I have to go in soon for more
work, possibly a pacemaker, and who knows what else. I eat sensibly, but
there are a few things like fat, salt, and vitamin K containing foods that I
do watch for.

Just as diabetics here must watch their intakes of certain foods, there are
others who must avoid certain things. I'm not anal or paranoid about it,
but as with diabetics, there are some things that really need watching.

Anyone who has heart problems is welcomed to talk to me. I have had heart
problems since 1994, being born with them, but undiagnosed until 1994.
to keep it private, and not OT the cooking
group.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

So, anyone got any comments on a few must have bottles of oil? I was
thinking sesame oil for one.

Would like to get the thread back on track.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>
> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
> varieties and their uses.
>
> I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or can I
> use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad oil, or too
> heavy.
>
> Can't eat canola oil.
>
> On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil, garlic
> flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the most number
> of recipes. What do you use and like?
>
> So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and flavored
> oils.
>
> Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them against my
> coumadin encyclopedia first.
>
> What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or should I
> keep it refrigerated?

Do a google search for "cooking oil" and you'll find lots of helpful
information. The first three links answer all your questions, plus other
questions you probably haven't thought of yet.

Me? I just keep a bottle of canola oil and a bottle of extra virgin
olive oil on my counter and that works for me. Which oils to keep on
hand depend entirely on your taste and your dietary preferences.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> So, anyone got any comments on a few must have bottles of oil? I was
> thinking sesame oil for one.
>
> Would like to get the thread back on track.
>
> Steve

I agree with Ranee on Grapeseed oil.
FABulous for frying steaks, and nice for top dressing steamed veggies to
get herbs and sesame seeds to stick to them. Light flavor, high smoke
point and good fatty acid profile.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stan Horwitz" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>
>> I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>>
>> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
>> varieties and their uses.
>>
>> I know peanut oil is good for frying hot. Does it have drawbacks, or can
>> use it instead of veg oil? Would it be good for say a salad oil, or too
>> heavy.
>>
>> Can't eat canola oil.
>>
>> On the flavored oils .......... I would like to get some sesame oil,
>> garlic
>> flavored oil, pepper flavored oil, and a few others used in the most
>> number
>> of recipes. What do you use and like?
>>
>> So, I got olive oils of three or four varieties, peanut oil, and flavored
>> oils.
>>
>> Tips and caveats welcome. I will, although, have to check them against
>> my
>> coumadin encyclopedia first.
>>
>> What is the shelf life of oil? Does it do okay on the shelf, or should I
>> keep it refrigerated?

> Do a google search for "cooking oil" and you'll find lots of helpful
> information. The first three links answer all your questions, plus other
> questions you probably haven't thought of yet.
>
> Me? I just keep a bottle of canola oil and a bottle of extra virgin
> olive oil on my counter and that works for me. Which oils to keep on
> hand depend entirely on your taste and your dietary preferences.

Can't have canola. And there are so many different types of olive oil. Am
I correct in thinking that the more virgin it is, the more processed it is,
therefore lighter, and for uses in salads rather than cooking? That
"regular" olive oil is better for sautéing than extra virgin? Regular being
able to get hotter before smoking or discoloring? Extra virgin with a
lighter taste for things where you actually eat the oil straight, as salads?
I promise to Google and read there, too. But if I googled everything, I
wouldn't have to come here, even though googling brings up articles written
here. It's confusing sometimes.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> And there are so many different types of olive oil. Am
> I correct in thinking that the more virgin it is, the more processed it is,
> therefore lighter, and for uses in salads rather than cooking? That
> "regular" olive oil is better for sautéing than extra virgin? Regular being
> able to get hotter before smoking or discoloring? Extra virgin with a
> lighter taste for things where you actually eat the oil straight, as salads?
> I promise to Google and read there, too. But if I googled everything, I
> wouldn't have to come here, even though googling brings up articles written
> here. It's confusing sometimes.

No, that's backwards. "Pure" olive oil is the most processed (except
maybe pomace oil), and it has the least flavor and the highest smoke
point. Extra Virgin oil is the first pressing, and least processed.
It has more color, more flavor (not necessarily a good thing when
making mayonnaise), and it smokes and burns at a lower temperatures.

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve wrote on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:20:08 -0800:

> "Stu" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:40:10 -0800, "Steve B"
>> > wrote:

>>> It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
>>>
>>> I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill
>>> you, depending on how you use it.
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> or the dose Steve, glad to see you're still hanging around

> Well, even rat poison has a dosage chart. Why do people refer
> to coumadin as rat poison? I do know it is used for that, but
> a lot of other medications have multiple uses, some of them
> not too nice. And the use of coumadin therapy is totally
> voluntary, so if a person has a problem with "rat poison",
> just don't take the stuff. There's always hospital confinement and IV
> heparin modalities to deal with the blood
> clots that will form from NOT using coumadin.

Warfarin (coumadin) is a very useful medication if one has an irregular
heart beat. Unfortunately, it requires regular checkups to test the
blood clotting time and it is quite embarassing to have a mild scratch.
If you develope a blood clot that reaches your brain, you may suffer a
stroke and there may nothing that will help you.

There are rumors of substitutes for warfarin but I don't think clinical
testing is complete.

--

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Stu" > wrote in message
news
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:40:10 -0800, "Steve B"
> > wrote:
>

>>"Stu" > wrote in message
. ..
>>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:30:07 -0800, Christine Dabney

>>> Still rat poison either way

>>It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
>>
>>I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
>>how you use it.
>>
>>Steve
>>

> or the dose Steve, glad to see you're still hanging around

Well, even rat poison has a dosage chart. Why do people refer to coumadin
as rat poison? I do know it is used for that, but a lot of other
medications have multiple uses, some of them not too nice. And the use of
coumadin therapy is totally voluntary, so if a person has a problem with
"rat poison", just don't take the stuff. There's always hospital
confinement and IV heparin modalities to deal with the blood clots that will
form from NOT using coumadin.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"James Silverton" > wrote in message
> Steve wrote on Thu, 11 Feb 2010 09:20:08 -0800:
>

>> "Stu" > wrote in message
>> news
>>> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:40:10 -0800, "Steve B"

>>> or the dose Steve, glad to see you're still hanging around

>> Well, even rat poison has a dosage chart. Why do people refer
>> to coumadin as rat poison? I do know it is used for that, but
>> a lot of other medications have multiple uses, some of them
>> not too nice. And the use of coumadin therapy is totally
>> voluntary, so if a person has a problem with "rat poison",
>> just don't take the stuff. There's always hospital confinement and IV
>> heparin modalities to deal with the blood
>> clots that will form from NOT using coumadin.

> Warfarin (coumadin) is a very useful medication if one has an irregular
> heart beat. Unfortunately, it requires regular checkups to test the blood
> clotting time and it is quite embarassing to have a mild scratch. If you
> develope a blood clot that reaches your brain, you may suffer a stroke and
> there may nothing that will help you.
>
> There are rumors of substitutes for warfarin but I don't think clinical
> testing is complete.
>
> --
>
> James Silverton
> Potomac, Maryland

Didn't know about it being for irregular heartbeat. I thought it was just
an anticoagulant for keeping blood clots from forming. I have a plastic
heart valve, and it is to keep clots from forming on that valve. And yes, I
saw the other day that there is a new drug on the horizon for coumadin.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Stu" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:40:10 -0800, "Steve B"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>"Stu" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
> >>
> >>I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
> >>how you use it.
> >>
> >>Steve
> >>

> > or the dose Steve, glad to see you're still hanging around

> Well, even rat poison has a dosage chart. Why do people refer to coumadin
> as rat poison? I do know it is used for that, but a lot of other
> medications have multiple uses, some of them not too nice. And the use of
> coumadin therapy is totally voluntary, so if a person has a problem with
> "rat poison", just don't take the stuff. There's always hospital
> confinement and IV heparin modalities to deal with the blood clots that will
> form from NOT using coumadin.
>
> Steve

Well, I have been on Coumidan but through diet, exercise, and a bit of
begging, my doctor took me off of it. Either way, the reason folks call
it "rat poison" is simple. It's funny, clever, and a lot cooler than
saying Warfarin Kind of like me calling my Crash Helmet a "brain
bucket" or my kids calling it a "waste basket".. Just fooling around,
don't take it seriously.

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Stu" > wrote in message
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 11:30:07 -0800, Christine Dabney
> > > wrote:

> >>Coumadin is the same as Warfarin: Coumadin is the brand name.
> >>
> >>Christine

> > Still rat poison either way

> It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
>
> I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
> how you use it.
>
> Steve

I think mom would still be alive today if she'd stayed on it after her
first thromboembolism. :-(

Stupid doctor took her off of it and put her on baby aspirin.

Ironically enough, that same doctor died of a massive stroke after
following his own advice (going off of Coumadin) a few months after his
own episode with blood clots...
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> Didn't know about it being for irregular heartbeat. I thought it was just
> an anticoagulant for keeping blood clots from forming. I have a plastic
> heart valve, and it is to keep clots from forming on that valve. And yes, I
> saw the other day that there is a new drug on the horizon for coumadin.
>
> Steve

Yes, it is used in patients with atrial fib, not just any irregular
heartbeat. Because the atrium is quivering instead of giving a good
squeeze, small blood clots *can* (not a given) develop because the
chamber isn't emptying out efficiently and a clot can travel to the
brain and cause an ischemic stroke. But conversely the Coumadin can also
promote inappropriate bleeding and sometimes cause hemorrhagic strokes.
And if we don't know how long you've had A-fib (long term undiagnosed
vs. new onset) we usually will *not* start Coumadin. It gets tricky....
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am Tosk wrote:

> I have a oral version of Heparin (cardizem) that I keep handy. It is a
> fast acting agent to be taken if I ever go into Atrial Fibrillation
> again. I have gone in 4 times in two years but we feel we have found
> most of the triggers and I am not in it now. In fact I am living a
> normal life with full workouts and full contact entertainment. As I
> noted before, I am no longer on "rat poison"
>
> Scotty

OhMyGawd. Cardizem is NOT Heparin nor does it act in any fashion similar
to Heparin. Cardizem (Diltiazem) is for your a-fib to help promote an
organized contraction. Heparin is a blood thinner. Totally different
drugs and actions and reasons for taking.
Please learn more about your own drugs. Talk to your doctor and read up
on them.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Steve B" > wrote in message
>I am going shopping for a stock of different types of oils.
>
> I know olive oil is a staple, but tell me the difference between the
> varieties and their uses.

You want to study up on flash-points, Steve. Some oils handle higher heat
better than others so it all depends on the temp at which you want to cook
as to the oil you use. And it will vary depending upon whether you quickly
brown then bake or finish on the stove top. It will also vary depending on
whether you want a strongly flavoured oil (olives) or a very neutral (corn)
oil. In short, it really depends on the recipe as to which oil you use.
Sorry I couldn't help more.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

I am Tosk wrote:

> Oh crap, my mistake... You are right of course, I don't know what I was
> thinking. I am on Sotolol daily, the other one is not Cardizem, it's
> Diltiazem and I am only to take that in case of another Afib...
>
> Scotty

Diltiazem *is* another name for Cardizam.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message

>> Didn't know about it being for irregular heartbeat. I thought it was
>> just an anticoagulant for keeping blood clots from forming. I have a
>> plastic heart valve, and it is to keep clots from forming on that valve.
>> And yes, I saw the other day that there is a new drug on the horizon for
>> coumadin.
>>
>> Steve

> Yes, it is used in patients with atrial fib, not just any irregular
> heartbeat. Because the atrium is quivering instead of giving a good
> squeeze, small blood clots *can* (not a given) develop because the chamber
> isn't emptying out efficiently and a clot can travel to the brain and
> cause an ischemic stroke. But conversely the Coumadin can also promote
> inappropriate bleeding and sometimes cause hemorrhagic strokes. And if we
> don't know how long you've had A-fib (long term undiagnosed vs. new onset)
> we usually will *not* start Coumadin. It gets tricky....

Do you have experience in the heart field? I do, but just as a patient.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Goomba" > wrote in message
>I am Tosk wrote:
>
>> I have a oral version of Heparin (cardizem) that I keep handy. It is a
>> fast acting agent to be taken if I ever go into Atrial Fibrillation
>> again. I have gone in 4 times in two years but we feel we have found most
>> of the triggers and I am not in it now. In fact I am living a normal life
>> with full workouts and full contact entertainment. As I noted before, I
>> am no longer on "rat poison"
>>
>> Scotty

> OhMyGawd. Cardizem is NOT Heparin nor does it act in any fashion similar
> to Heparin. Cardizem (Diltiazem) is for your a-fib to help promote an
> organized contraction. Heparin is a blood thinner. Totally different drugs
> and actions and reasons for taking.
> Please learn more about your own drugs. Talk to your doctor and read up on
> them.

Was gonna say ............

I take Diltiazem, and that's the first I've heard of it being compared to
Heparin.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
says...

> "Goomba" > wrote in message
> >I am Tosk wrote:
> >
> >> I have a oral version of Heparin (cardizem) that I keep handy. It is a
> >> fast acting agent to be taken if I ever go into Atrial Fibrillation
> >> again. I have gone in 4 times in two years but we feel we have found most
> >> of the triggers and I am not in it now. In fact I am living a normal life
> >> with full workouts and full contact entertainment. As I noted before, I
> >> am no longer on "rat poison"
> >>
> >> Scotty

> > OhMyGawd. Cardizem is NOT Heparin nor does it act in any fashion similar
> > to Heparin. Cardizem (Diltiazem) is for your a-fib to help promote an
> > organized contraction. Heparin is a blood thinner. Totally different drugs
> > and actions and reasons for taking.
> > Please learn more about your own drugs. Talk to your doctor and read up on
> > them.

> Was gonna say ............
>
> I take Diltiazem, and that's the first I've heard of it being compared to
> Heparin.
>

> Steve

Yeah, I messed up. It's been a year since I have had issues with it, I
got my meds and such mixed up. Either way, my point really was I have
been on Coumidan and I took care of my elderly dad for years while he
was on Coumidan. We had his diet down and consistent, which is the trick
with the stuff. It was funny (he was 92) after watching him get stuck a
couple times a month for years, he insisted on coming when I was on it
and had to get my blood drawn, just to see me get stuck. God I miss him.

Do you wait like my dad for the test to go from the clinic to the
hospital, or does your doc have the "instant" test in the office? I
guess you can get that machine for home if you really need it.

Scotty
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> Do you have experience in the heart field? I do, but just as a patient.
>
> Steve

Well, lemme see... in addition to my degrees I'm certified as a Critical
Care RN, with Advanced Cardiac Life Support, Basic Life Support, Advance
Burn Life Support, and Advanced Disaster Life Support cards, I also hold
and teach Trauma Nursing Core Class to nurses. Mostly though I put
patients into nice comatose sleep like states so that we can work on 'em
and then wake 'em up again. So no, I don't *do* hearts per se.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:47:27 -0600, Omelet wrote:

> In article >,
> "Steve B" > wrote:
>>
>> It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
>>
>> I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
>> how you use it.
>>
>> Steve

> I think mom would still be alive today if she'd stayed on it after her
> first thromboembolism. :-(
>
> Stupid doctor took her off of it and put her on baby aspirin.
>
> Ironically enough, that same doctor died of a massive stroke after
> following his own advice (going off of Coumadin) a few months after his
> own episode with blood clots...

oopsie. boy, was his face ever red! or gray. or something.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 16:47:27 -0600, Omelet wrote:
>
> > In article >,
> > "Steve B" > wrote:
> >>
> >> It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
> >>
> >> I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
> >> how you use it.
> >>
> >> Steve

> > I think mom would still be alive today if she'd stayed on it after her
> > first thromboembolism. :-(
> >
> > Stupid doctor took her off of it and put her on baby aspirin.
> >
> > Ironically enough, that same doctor died of a massive stroke after
> > following his own advice (going off of Coumadin) a few months after his
> > own episode with blood clots...

> oopsie. boy, was his face ever red! or gray. or something.
>
> your pal,
> blake

Actually, it was puffy. :-( I visited him in our ICU right before he
died... It was very sad.
--
Peace! Om

--Steve Rothstein

Subscribe:

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
blake murphy > wrote:

> On Tue, 9 Feb 2010 23:08:25 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>
> > "Andy" > wrote in message ...

> >> How insulting!!!!!! Ya BUM!!!!!!

> > Huh? You okay?
> >
> > Steve

> andy is not now, and has never been, 'okay.'

I don't quite agree with that. When Andy last came here, he explained
that he had been here before, but had trouble and had to leave. I
thought that was one of the strangest introductions I have ever seen
here. He seemed to do fine. Then he got weirder and weirder. And then
I killfiled him. And then he got better. He has not been in my
killfile for some time now. We'll see how it goes.

There are a number of people here, who IMNSH and inexpert opinion have
mental problems. Some are the nicest people in the world, but are
unable to hold a job and sometimes unable to handle posting here. Some
are not so nice. Some I'd just rather not deal with. But I remember
that it is beyond their control, and don't hold it against them.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> So, anyone got any comments on a few must have bottles of oil? I was
> thinking sesame oil for one.

There's two kinds, a light oil used to cook with, and a dark oil that is
usually added at the very end as a flavoring. They are both made from
sesame seeds, but the seeds are toasted for the dark oil. You cannot
substitute one for the other.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Stu" > wrote in message
> news
> > On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 20:40:10 -0800, "Steve B"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >>"Stu" > wrote in message
> . ..

> >>It has kept this rat alive for seven years eight months now.
> >>
> >>I guess it is like water. It can keep you alive or kill you, depending on
> >>how you use it.

> > or the dose Steve, glad to see you're still hanging around

> Well, even rat poison has a dosage chart. Why do people refer to coumadin
> as rat poison? I do know it is used for that, but a lot of other
> medications have multiple uses, some of them not too nice.

That was the original use, and it's still used for that:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Warfarin

> And the use of
> coumadin therapy is totally voluntary, so if a person has a problem with
> "rat poison", just don't take the stuff. There's always hospital
> confinement and IV heparin modalities to deal with the blood clots that will
> form from NOT using coumadin.

Never used it myself, but there must be a ton of people on it. Or maybe
I'm just old and people my age are more likely to be on it. It's easy
to spot the warfarin users in the lab. Normal procedure in the lab is
to come in, wait in line, register, and then sit down until called. But
a warfarin user comes in, and the registration person says, "Oh hi, Mr.
B. Have a seat and we'll call you.". I suppose that's nice, but *I*
don't want to be on a first name basis with the lab staff!

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:

>When Andy last came here, he explained
>that he had been here before, but had trouble and had to leave. I
>thought that was one of the strangest introductions I have ever seen
>here. He seemed to do fine. Then he got weirder and weirder. And then
>I killfiled him. And then he got better.

If you killfiled Andy how do you know he got "better"???

>There are a number of people here, who IMNSH and inexpert opinion have
>mental problems. Some are the nicest people in the world, but are
>unable to hold a job and sometimes unable to handle posting here. Some
>are not so nice. Some I'd just rather not deal with. But I remember
>that it is beyond their control, and don't hold it against them.

You're obviously describing yourself... Damn Disable, you are one of
the weirdest/sickest dudes here... even your mugshot is of your kids
paying you a monitored visit where you were incarcerated at a
psychiatric asylum... just lookit your ugly face, it's as comatose as
any zombie.

Peanut oil: when do you prefer this over other oils? Kalmia General Cooking 79 20-06-2015 10:36 PM
Snake oils? Cuddly Duddly[_3_] Diabetic 2 16-06-2008 02:45 AM
Oils on steeped tea bsclark81 Tea 7 27-06-2007 12:08 AM
Flavored Oils aem General Cooking 3 05-07-2006 06:56 PM
Olive Oils jmk General Cooking 119 29-09-2004 05:12 AM