Old 29-09-2013, 09:47 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how do I make a salsa?

"Todd" wrote in message ...

Hi All,

I had to go and pick my Poblano chilies due
to a freeze that came through. I tried tasting
the smallest one.

My Oh MY! It tasted exactly like a green bell
pepper only about four times stronger. (No
spicy hot at all.) I cooked it and added a
little apple cider vinegar. Got rid of
70% of the bite -- kind of fun. Not something
I'd want to eat twice.

So I asked her tropheyness what she thought I should
make with it. She said a salsa. (She has a
talent I have never seen before for knowing
what things go together and what don't.)

How do you make a salsa with a fresh Poblano?

I have
-- fresh poblano
-- fresh onion and onion powder
-- tomatoes
-- chili powder: cayenne, ancho, chimayo
-- garlic fresh and powder
-- fresh Italian parsley
-- dried oregano
-- apple cider vinegar

Do I cook the Poblano or other ingredients? What
proportions?

Many thanks,
-T

On 09/29/2013 01:11 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
When I make salsa I roughly chop tomatoes, onions, cucumbers with skin
(I use Lebanese cucumbers, not sure what the equivalent is there)
capsicums (bell peppers) and sometimes coriander (cilantro), depending
what I am eating it with. Salt and pepper to taste and add your chilli.
I don't cook my salsa.

Thank you!

I even have some fresh cucumbers I had to pick from
the freeze. The Poblano peppers taste like bell peppers
too, so a good subsitute.

Do you ever use vinegar?

-T

Old 29-09-2013, 11:13 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Todd" wrote in message ...

On 09/29/2013 01:11 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
When I make salsa I roughly chop tomatoes, onions, cucumbers with skin
(I use Lebanese cucumbers, not sure what the equivalent is there)
capsicums (bell peppers) and sometimes coriander (cilantro), depending
what I am eating it with. Salt and pepper to taste and add your
chilli.
I don't cook my salsa.

Thank you!

I even have some fresh cucumbers I had to pick from
the freeze. The Poblano peppers taste like bell peppers
too, so a good subsitute.

Do you ever use vinegar?

No, but I do sometimes use unsweetened, canned, crushed pineapple.
Fabulous with seafood especially squid and prawns.