Secret Guy

Default How to make common taqueria avocado based salsa?

At taquerias in california (taquerias, where people rarely can speak
english, not sit down restaurants with waiters), there is a salsa
which I wish I knew how to make. Almost every taqueria I have gone to
has this. Generally the tables or the condiment carts have these things:

bowl of whole jalapenos, carrots and onions in vinegar
bowl of radishes
liquidy red salsa
chopped salsa cruda

and this green liquidy avocado based salsa I'm talking about. I asked
at a market and was told in broken english that it consists of:

cilantro
water
salt
avocado
scallions
lime juice
garlic

but, I couldn't get at the proportions to use.

I asked at a taqueria and was told no he couldn't tell me the
ingrediants, but he called it gaucamole... Of course, they also have
the thick guacamole that everyone I know calls guacamole, at this same
taqueria, so I'm guessing there must be a more descriptive name for
it.

Anyway, does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a recipe?
It's probably the ingrediants above, but I don't know the
proportions. The end result is a liquid salsa that you pour, not a
thick dip type thing.

If you live in SF, go to any taqueria where they can barely speak
english, in the mission district, and you will almost certainly
encounter this salsa. Eventually, I'll get down to SF and get the
recipe from someone, but I was hoping someone will have beaten me to
it.
Jack Schidt®

"Secret Guy" > wrote in message
> At taquerias in california (taquerias, where people rarely can speak
> english, not sit down restaurants with waiters), there is a salsa
> which I wish I knew how to make. Almost every taqueria I have gone to
> has this. Generally the tables or the condiment carts have these things:
>
> bowl of whole jalapenos, carrots and onions in vinegar
> bowl of radishes
> liquidy red salsa
> chopped salsa cruda
>
> and this green liquidy avocado based salsa I'm talking about. I asked
> at a market and was told in broken english that it consists of:
>
> cilantro
> water ***
> salt
> avocado
> scallions
> lime juice
> garlic
>
> but, I couldn't get at the proportions to use.

*** water
sounds like you add water until it reaches the desired consistency

or

Make Avocado Salsa, aka Salsa Aguacate

3 tomatillos -- husks removed
2 cups water
2 large avocados -- peeled and chopped
2 habanero chile -- chopped
3 cloves garlic -- peeled
1 small onion -- chopped

Combine the tomatillos and water and boil until they are soft, about 10 -
12
minutes. Drain and discard the water.

Puree all the ingredients in a blender or food processor, adding a little
water
if needed to make the salsa smooth and creamy.

Serve with tostadas or on a bed of greens for a salad.

Yield: 2 cups

Heat Scale: Hot

Busted by Christopher E. Eaves

Jack Haas

-L.

Secret Guy > wrote in message >...
> At taquerias in california (taquerias, where people rarely can speak
> english, not sit down restaurants with waiters), there is a salsa
> which I wish I knew how to make. Almost every taqueria I have gone to
> has this. Generally the tables or the condiment carts have these things:
>
> bowl of whole jalapenos, carrots and onions in vinegar
> bowl of radishes
> liquidy red salsa
> chopped salsa cruda
>
> and this green liquidy avocado based salsa I'm talking about. I asked
> at a market and was told in broken english that it consists of:
>
> cilantro
> water
> salt
> avocado
> scallions
> lime juice
> garlic
>
> but, I couldn't get at the proportions to use.
>
> I asked at a taqueria and was told no he couldn't tell me the
> ingrediants, but he called it gaucamole... Of course, they also have
> the thick guacamole that everyone I know calls guacamole, at this same
> taqueria, so I'm guessing there must be a more descriptive name for
> it.
>
> Anyway, does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a recipe?
> It's probably the ingrediants above, but I don't know the
> proportions. The end result is a liquid salsa that you pour, not a
> thick dip type thing.
>
> If you live in SF, go to any taqueria where they can barely speak
> english, in the mission district, and you will almost certainly
> encounter this salsa. Eventually, I'll get down to SF and get the
> recipe from someone, but I was hoping someone will have beaten me to
> it.

Are you confusing guac with salsa verde? What I have had in such
places is salsa verde....

http://www.foodreference.com/html/salsaverder.html

-L.
Dimitri

"Secret Guy" > wrote in message
> At taquerias in california (taquerias, where people rarely can speak
> english, not sit down restaurants with waiters), there is a salsa
> which I wish I knew how to make. Almost every taqueria I have gone to
> has this. Generally the tables or the condiment carts have these things:
>
> bowl of whole jalapenos, carrots and onions in vinegar
> bowl of radishes
> liquidy red salsa
> chopped salsa cruda
>
> and this green liquidy avocado based salsa I'm talking about. I asked
> at a market and was told in broken english that it consists of:
>
> cilantro
> water
> salt
> avocado
> scallions
> lime juice
> garlic
>
> but, I couldn't get at the proportions to use.
>
> I asked at a taqueria and was told no he couldn't tell me the
> ingrediants, but he called it gaucamole... Of course, they also have
> the thick guacamole that everyone I know calls guacamole, at this same
> taqueria, so I'm guessing there must be a more descriptive name for
> it.
>
> Anyway, does anyone know what I'm talking about and have a recipe?
> It's probably the ingrediants above, but I don't know the
> proportions. The end result is a liquid salsa that you pour, not a
> thick dip type thing.
>
> If you live in SF, go to any taqueria where they can barely speak
> english, in the mission district, and you will almost certainly
> encounter this salsa. Eventually, I'll get down to SF and get the
> recipe from someone, but I was hoping someone will have beaten me to
> it.

http://mexico.udg.mx/cocina/ingles/menu/frame.html

(please note in the recipe below the toamtillos add the sour of the lime
juice)

Dimitri

GUACAMOLE IN A MOLCAJETE
(guacamole mashed in a Mexican morter)

2 ripe avocados
6 tomatillos (little green tomatoes)
2 cloves of garlic
1 onion
2 tablespoons of cilantro
serrano chili as desired
salt

Procedu
Toast the chilis and tomatillos.
Grind up the garlic in a molcajete with the salt and chilis. (A molcajete is
a rough-surfaced mortar - usually made of volcanic rock - for grinding up
spices and vegetables.)
Once well ground, add the tomatillos, avocados and grind a little more.
To garnish the guacamole, put sliced onion and chopped cilantro on top.
Serve immediately