Old 10-09-2013, 08:35 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default What to do with Bitter cucumbers?

In article , Todd
wrote:

One, and fortunately only one, of my Japanese cucumber
plants grows the most nasty bitter cucumbers I have
ever tasted in my life.

Is there some way to make them palatable? Toss them in the
trash? Give to seeds to a relative I don't like?

You may be letting them grow too big. Cucumbers can get bitter if they
get too big.

If that's not it, put them in your compost pile.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Old 11-09-2013, 01:29 AM
Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

I would start by peeling them puppies. Cut them half in two and rub the cut ends together furiously in a circular fashion for a good while and rinse with water. Thats how the old widder ladies take the bitter out of regular old cukes. Not sure I ever seen a japanese model but it might work the same. After that slice up and put in a jar with apple cider vinegar and raw onions. Store in the ice box and start eating in about a week. Yum yum

BIG CUCUMBERS VS SMALL CUCUMBERS Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_13_] General Cooking 2 11-05-2016 04:29 PM
What to do with Bitter cucumbers? W. Baker Diabetic 2 12-09-2013 01:29 PM
Cucumbers? KenK General Cooking 14 14-06-2012 10:45 PM
Cucumbers - can anything be done with dried cucumbers? Jim[_25_] Preserving 15 08-06-2012 07:48 PM
Too many cucumbers! Ken Knecht General Cooking 45 28-10-2006 06:30 PM