FoodBanter.com

-   -   What to do with Bitter cucumbers? (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/425589-re-what-do-bitter.html)

Peppermint Patootie 10-09-2013 08:35 PM

What to do with Bitter cucumbers?

In article >, Todd >
wrote:

> One, and fortunately only one, of my Japanese cucumber
> plants grows the most nasty bitter cucumbers I have
> ever tasted in my life.
>
> Is there some way to make them palatable? Toss them in the
> trash? Give to seeds to a relative I don't like?

You may be letting them grow too big. Cucumbers can get bitter if they
get too big.

If that's not it, put them in your compost pile.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

bigwheel 11-09-2013 01:29 AM

I would start by peeling them puppies. Cut them half in two and rub the cut ends together furiously in a circular fashion for a good while and rinse with water. Thats how the old widder ladies take the bitter out of regular old cukes. Not sure I ever seen a japanese model but it might work the same. After that slice up and put in a jar with apple cider vinegar and raw onions. Store in the ice box and start eating in about a week. Yum yum