Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default how long do you need to cook soup to become soup?

"Todd" > wrote in message
> On 02/15/2013 09:25 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> Soup should be simmered

> Hi Julie,
>
> Thank you!
>
> Follow up questions:
>
> 1) for how long?
>
> 2) by simmer, do you mean the lowest boil?
>
> -T

It would help if you would post the recipe. Some soups cook for longer than
others. And simmer is simmer. Not boil. There is boil and then there is
hard boil. Boil is when large bubbles begin to come to the surface. If you
continue to leave it at this heat, it will reach a hard boil where bubbles
come up furiously. Most food would not need to be boiled like this for very
long. Dried beans, yes but only for a couple of minutes. Your recipe
probably said to bring the soup to a boil then turn down the heat. If there
was anything like cream in the soup, you'd for sure want to cook it on a low
heat. Various foods need various cooking times. I can comment on your soup
since I don't know what all was in it. Anything like celery would require a
longer cooking time. Mushrooms cook quickly.