Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Soup Cook Along -Modified Farmhouse Supper Soup

Recipe I used for the Soup cook along...* are the changes I made.
I pre-made the stock thursday saved it and the diced meat in the fridge.
Sunday I'll add the raw veggies, meat, seasonings to the broth and finish
it

@@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format

Pork Hock Farmhouse Supper Soup

none

1 pound fresh pork hock
4 cups water *6
2 cups cabbage thinly sliced *(bok choy)
1 cup potatoes new, cubed *(not)
1/2 cup onions chopped
1/2 cup celery sliced *(heart of celery with leaves)
1 tablespoon chicken bouillon *(I used chicken stock paste)
1 garlic large, minced *(3)
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
1/4 teaspoon rosemary dried
1/4 teaspoon sage dried, crushed
1/4 teaspoon thyme dried, crushed
*1/4 tsp cumin
*1/4 tsp crushed red peppers
1/4 cup flour *1/3
*1/2 cup water
*1/2 cup cauliflower
*1/2 cup brocolli
*1/2 cup sliced mushrooms
*1/2 cup red bell pepper
* 1 carrot sliced thin
salt and pepper
sour cream dairy *(2 cups)
paprika

Bring meat and 4 cups water to a boil in a 3-quart saucepan. Reduce heat,
cover and simmer for about 1 hour until meat is very tender. Remove meat;
set aside.

To cooking liquid, add cabbage, potatoes, onion, celery, bouillon
granules,
garlic, 1/4 teaspoon pepper, rosemary, sage, and thyme. Bring to a boil;
reduce heat, cover and simmer for 20 minutes until vegetables are tender.
Meanwhile, cut meat from bones and cube. Add meat to soup.

In a small bowl, stir flour and 1/2 cup water until smooth. Increase heat
to medium; stir flour mixture into boiling soup and boil until slightly
thickened. Taste and add additional salt and pepper if desired.

Ladle into individual soup bowls or mugs. Top each serving with a dollop
of
sour cream and sprinkle with paprika.

Contributor: Wayne Boatwright

-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 05 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> Pork Hock Farmhouse Supper Soup

a picture of it still in the pot...before I've finished making it.

http://i2.tinypic.com/qraird.jpg

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 05 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> a picture of it still in the pot...before I've finished making it.
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/qraird.jpg

After I finished

http://i2.tinypic.com/qrc28m.jpg

--
-Alan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Recipe I used for the Soup cook along...* are the changes I made.
> I pre-made the stock thursday saved it and the diced meat in the fridge.
> Sunday I'll add the raw veggies, meat, seasonings to the broth and finish
> it
>
> @@@@@ Now You're Cooking! Export Format
>
> Pork Hock Farmhouse Supper Soup

<snipped> Yum! :-)

Here's mine:

1 lb. ham, cut into chunks
1 lb. bacon, chopped up

Place into pressure cooker, cover with water.
Bring up to pressure and cook for 20 minutes.
Turn off an allow to cool.

Dump into a screen strainer over a bowl, then chill.

Once cold, remove huge fat cake from the top of the broth/stock.

In this case, that fat cake was a good 1/2" thick! ;-p

Fed some of it to the border collie. She can use the calories...
The rest went to dad's elderly sheltie at his request. The dog is
getting old and he's having trouble keeping weight on him.

So, now I have the ham/bacon stock and the meat.

I took 3 cups of black soybeans starting on Wednesday and have them
soaking in a screen strainer in a bowl. Water was changed 3 times per
day and the beans are now beginning to sprout. I know I've said this
before, my housemate (dad) insists I sprout beans before cooking them to
tenderize them and enhance the nutritional value. <shrugs> It's no big
deal so I go along with it.

Fixin' now to peel and slice 4 carrots into fine medallions. they are
"musgovian" carrots so actually NEED peeling. Will add 2 whole onions
(one white, one yellow), 4 cloves of fresh garlic, peeled and pressed, 3
stalks of celery, sliced fine, and a large bulb of grated ginger. A
little bit of lemon pepper, some fresh minced rosemary, thyme, mexican
oregano, Dittany, and just a dash of cinnamon to finish it off.

All goes into the pressure cooker with the meat and beans, bring up to
pressure and time for 20 to 25 minutes. Let it cool on the stove until
the pressure indicator drops on it's own.

Serve.
--
Peace, Om.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Mr Libido Incognito > wrote:

> Mr Libido Incognito wrote on 05 Mar 2006 in rec.food.cooking
>
> > Pork Hock Farmhouse Supper Soup
> >

> a picture of it still in the pot...before I've finished making it.
>
> http://i2.tinypic.com/qraird.jpg
>
> --
> -Alan

Nice! :-)
--
Peace, Om.

How to Cook Almond Soup tastytasty Baking 5 14-12-2013 10:58 AM
how long do you need to cook soup to become soup? Todd Diabetic 52 29-03-2013 12:34 AM
Soup for Supper W. Baker Diabetic 27 07-01-2012 11:18 AM
Roasted Cauliflower Soup - Last nights supper fred General Cooking 1 01-09-2006 06:49 PM
Senate Bean Soup - modified Dimitri General Cooking 0 20-03-2005 07:16 PM