Old 11-03-2012, 01:10 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Stevia

I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I read
the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as 'Maltodextrin'.
So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
sugar (sucrose)?

I tried to find out and read
http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php
which says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the GI
of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras the
GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.

This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so why
did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?

Bad move if you ask me.

Old 11-03-2012, 02:46 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:10:12 AM UTC-5, adiabic wrote:
[...]

They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.
Old 11-03-2012, 03:37 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:46:52 -0700, Robert Miles wrote:

[...]

Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
'licorice taste' problem?
Old 11-03-2012, 04:24 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11 Mar 2012 14:37:17 GMT, adiabic wrote:

[...]

You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.

I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
Evelyn
Old 11-03-2012, 07:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"adiabic" wrote in message
.com...
[...]

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste, but
some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about them now
though.

Cheri

Old 11-03-2012, 07:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
[...]

I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but everyone
varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really nasty
aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for cooking.
However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.

Cheri

Old 11-03-2012, 11:27 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:24:12 -0400, Evelyn wrote:

[...]

Yes, I have that one. I've heard somewhere that 'the industry' has solved
the (by refining) taste problem. That's why I was so interested in this
'Nutrena Stevia', but also disappointed to learn that there's so much
maltodextrin in it.
Old 12-03-2012, 12:39 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:

[snip

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about
them now though.

Cheri

That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
Thanks
Old 12-03-2012, 12:42 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"adiabic" wrote in message
.com...
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:

[snip

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about
them now though.

Cheri

That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
Thanks

Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health food
store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.

Cheri

Old 12-03-2012, 03:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:29:03 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
.. .
[...]

Cheri, my brother cannot STAND the taste of Splenda either. I like it
and find it has no aftertaste at all. But my brother is also used to
using nutra-sweet (Equal) in soda, coffee, etc. It seems that the
people who are used to the taste of Nutra sweet are the ones who most
dislike the taste of Splenda.

Strange... but it is that way.

Evelyn
Old 12-03-2012, 04:07 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" wrote in message
On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:29:03 -0700, "Cheri"
wrote:

"Evelyn" wrote in message
. ..
[...]

Yes, it is strange, but so true. I used to wonder if maybe different
medications and things caused things to taste different, like NyQuil at
times makes things taste really salty to me.

Cheri

Old 12-03-2012, 12:02 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote:
every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas. I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and it
doesn't raise my BG.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~
Old 12-03-2012, 07:49 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM

Old 12-03-2012, 08:25 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"KROM" wrote in message ...
I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM

Yep, just like some of those mail order diabetes suppliers, starting you out
with a good brand strips, meter, etc., and then switching you to the cheaper
version. It's really annoying to have suppliers making products smaller and
charging the same too, just have the same size and charge more if you have
to without all the presto magic tricks.

Cheri

Stevia Wonder Paul M. Cook General Cooking 2 18-10-2010 05:43 PM
Stevia? Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 24 24-03-2010 08:22 PM
Baking & Stevia lakota Baking 6 04-01-2006 09:40 AM
Stevia Joan Diabetic 17 22-02-2004 05:21 PM
stevia Heather Diabetic 3 21-01-2004 10:03 PM