Joan

Default Stevia

Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

Happy holidays to all.

Lisa

Tried it and did not like it. Stomach could not tolerate it. Splenda is
the best option in my case since I cannot tolerate aspartame in any amount.

Lisa
"Joan" > wrote in message
et...
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
> Happy holidays to all.

Julie Bove

"Joan" > wrote in message
et...
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

It seems safer? How? It can't even be legally sold as a sweetener in this
country and is banned in many others. Don't tell me you fell for the line
of crap about Aspartame spewed by Mad Betty!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Joan

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Joan" > wrote in message
> et...
> > Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> > It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

> It seems safer? How?

I've googled Stevia, Aspartame and Splenda.
From what I've read, Stevia seems to be the safest of the three.

It can't even be legally sold as a sweetener in this
> country

The same can be said of many drugs and/or medical procedures that have been
proven safe overseas for years, maybe even decades.

and is banned in many others.

MANY others? no.

Don't tell me you fell for the line
> of crap about Aspartame spewed by Mad Betty!

I do not know who Betty is.

Dennis Rekuta

Default Stevia Nutcases (Long)

Joan wrote and Julie wrote:

>>"Joan" > wrote in message
.net...

>>>Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
>>>It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message

It seems safer? How?

> Joan:
> I've googled Stevia, Aspartame and Splenda.
> From what I've read, Stevia seems to be the safest of the three.
>

> Julie:
> It can't even be legally sold as a sweetener in this country
>
> Joan:
> The same can be said of many drugs and/or medical procedures that have been
> proven safe overseas for years, maybe even decades.
>
> Julie:
> and is banned in many others.
>
> Joan:
> MANY others? no.

Dennis writing now:
Are you obtuse or just a troll? Its is banned as a carcinogen in the
entire European Union. It can only be legally sold in the USA as a food
supplement, which are not subject to any regulation as to safety,
quality, or even if it is in the product, thanks to the supplement
industry buying the power of politicians like Senator Orrin Hatch.

Julie:
> Don't tell me you fell for the line
>>of crap about Aspartame spewed by Mad Betty!

> Joan:
> I do not know who Betty is.

Dennis again:
Betty Martini, who also pretends to be Nancy Markle, an alleged
scientist, so that she can imply that there are more than a few nut bars
that fall for this hoax. Almost all false claims relating to aspartame
can be traced to her web site, www.dorway.com. Rich Murray is another
one of her accomplices. According to her, every disease known to man is
caused by aspartame, including MS. She caused the MS Society so much
trouble in 1999 that they had to issue press releases like the one
contained at:

http://www.nationalmssociety.org/hea...-aspartame.asp

and in the article below (apologies for the sloppy format from cut & paste):
02:24 AM ET 01/29/99

Debunking Internet Health Alarms

Debunking Internet Health Alarms
By LAURAN NEERGAARD=
AP Medical Writer
WASHINGTON (AP) _ An e-mail campaign attacking an artificial
sweetener was spreading fear fast: ``Could I have been
misdiagnosed? Will eliminating the aspartame in my diet eliminate
the MS symptoms?'' a panicked patient asked the Multiple Sclerosis
Foundation.
Absolutely not, the MS Foundation replied, furious that
whoever wrote the e-mail not only frightened vulnerable patients but
falsely used the group's name as part of the campaign.
``We've been completely inundated with calls about this,''
said the MS Foundation's Cliff Roer. ``It was very alarming.''
Welcome to the latest health scare on the Internet, where
e-mail or ``consumer alerts'' can suddenly spark panic by blaring about
``DEADLY POISONS.''
``I call them toxic terrorists,'' said Jeff Stier of the
American Council on Science and Health. He investigated after his
New York City group got calls from frightened Internet users last
week.
Consumer scares are nothing new, but the Internet lets rumors
spread faster and archives them forever, he said. ``It's so easy
to play on people's fears.''
The scare du jour is over claims that aspartame, sold under
such brand names as NutraSweet, causes MS or another disease, lupus.
For the record, the Food and Drug Administration says that is
false. MS and lupus have been around a lot longer than aspartame
has, and repeated scientific studies have found no connection
between the sweetener and such symptoms. An MS Foundation
neurologist also investigated and calls the allegations ``rabidly
inaccurate.''
But it is not the only scare.
Last fall, a ``Shampoo Alert'' claimed an ingredient that
helps the suds form in almost every shampoo is really an ``engine
degreaser'' that causes cancer. Today, Internet chat rooms still
show people asking if they should toss their shampoo. In fact, the
ingredient might irritate your eyes or your skin, but cancer
experts agree there is no sign it is carcinogenic.
``This is something we're going to see a lot more of,''
cautioned Dr. Randolph Wykoff of the FDA, which received more than
100 questions about the shampoo scare and dozens so far about
aspartame.
The Internet is full of important, even lifesaving, medical
information, Wykoff stressed. The quandary is one of consumer
savvy: How do you filter out the exaggerations, misinterpretations
or falsehoods?
For people searching for information on the Internet, it is
less of a problem: Just use Web sites operated by reputable groups such
as the National Institutes of Health or medical journals, and be
wary of cure-all claims.
The bigger question is what to believe when an alarming
e-mail shows up unsolicited, but with just enough science to sound
credible, and then snowballs into frightened discussions on
Internet bulletin boards.
Take aspartame, which long has been controversial.
Some people do say they are sensitive to it. But the FDA
insists that 20 years of research has not found evidence of serious side
effects, except in some people with the rare genetic disease PKU
or phenylketonuria, who cannot properly process an aspartame
component called phenylalinine.
The new scare, however, argues that aspartame causes MS and
lupus symptoms by breaking down into toxic methanol. Attempts to
find the e-mail's author have failed.
Very high doses of methanol can be toxic, but aspartame
causes only the same tiny amounts you would get from fruits or
vegetables such as tomatoes and tomato juice, which also produce
methanol during digestion, said FDA food safety expert Dr. David Hattan.
Both MS and lupus are diseases that wax and wane, so if a
person felt better or worse in connection with how much diet cola she
drank, it is pure coincidence, Wykoff added.
But how is a consumer to sort out such claims?
Call your doctor, check science books in libraries or on
science-based Web sites, or call reputable consumer groups.
Remember, ``if there's a breakthrough, they're not going to
read it in a secret message on the Internet,'' says Dr. John Renner of
the National Council for Reliable Health Information.
_____
EDITOR'S NOTE _ Lauran Neergaard covers health and medical
issues for The Associated Press in Washington.

For a list of links detailing the aspartame hoax and
debunking it see this page at Urban Legends:

http://www.snopes.com/toxins/aspartame.asp

A thread appeared in the USENET newsgroup
alt.support.diabetes on Dec. 14/03 entitled "Objective
Post About A Touchy Subject" giving a point by point
rebuttal by a working chemist. You can read it
yourself on the newsgroup itself or at Google:

http://groups.google.ca/groups?q=a+t...ort.diabet es

Most people are vulnerable when they are newly
diagnosed, and this creep preys on their fears for
her own sick reasons.

Dennis (Type 2)

-- "We can't help it. We're men" The Red Green Show.

Jmmbear

In article >, "Joan"
> writes:

>Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
>It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
>Happy holidays to all.

Stevia is banned in the United states as a sweetner.. I wouldnt touch it.
As always YMMV and this is JMO
Jeanne Type 2 Diagnosed 05/28/02
189/154/120
Tiger Lily

Joan go to www.urbanlegends.com and do a search on the MIS information about
Aspartame and NutraSweet that has been propagated by dorway.com and various
other Betty Martini sites

Stevia is implicated in causing excessive rapid heart rate and can be very
dangerous

if you don't believe this, there is no need for you to respond to this post

thank you

"Joan" > wrote in message
.net...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Joan" > wrote in message
> > et...
> > > Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> > > It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

> > It seems safer? How?

> I've googled Stevia, Aspartame and Splenda.
> From what I've read, Stevia seems to be the safest of the three.
>

> It can't even be legally sold as a sweetener in this
> > country

> The same can be said of many drugs and/or medical procedures that have

been
> proven safe overseas for years, maybe even decades.
>

> and is banned in many others.
>

> MANY others? no.
>
> Don't tell me you fell for the line
> > of crap about Aspartame spewed by Mad Betty!

> I do not know who Betty is.

Alice Faber

Note: the page hasn't been hijacked! Just click on the picture (a silent
memorial to an alt.folklore.urban regular who died last week) to get to
the normal front page.

--
AF
"Non Sequitur U has a really, really lousy debate team."
Al Hardy

Joan wrote:
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
> Happy holidays to all.

Wrong way round, and well attested. If you are not one of Betty`s trolls,
you must be one of David Icke`s, and for those not in the UK, David is a
whole lot nuttier than Betty ever managed.

Al.

Julie Bove

"Joan" > wrote in message
.net...

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> >

> > "Joan" > wrote in message
> > et...
> > > Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> > > It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.

> > It seems safer? How?

> I've googled Stevia, Aspartame and Splenda.
> From what I've read, Stevia seems to be the safest of the three.

Try another search engine then, and don't believe anything you read. If
it's written by Betty Martini, aka Nancy Markle or has anything about
"dorway" in it, it's all lies. She's a known quack and a fraud.

> It can't even be legally sold as a sweetener in this
> > country

> The same can be said of many drugs and/or medical procedures that have

been
> proven safe overseas for years, maybe even decades.

So?

> and is banned in many others.
>

> MANY others? no.

Yes. Look again.

> Don't tell me you fell for the line
> > of crap about Aspartame spewed by Mad Betty!

> I do not know who Betty is.

Well, you should!

--
Type 2
http://users.bestweb.net/~jbove/

Szaki

<<Stevia is implicated in causing excessive rapid heart rate and can be
very
> dangerous>>

I take Stevia and my heart rate is fine. If you have a bad heart anyway,
that's another question.

JS

"Joan" > wrote in message
et...
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
> Happy holidays to all.

Mr Big Dragon

I did tried and I didn't like it,

Taste really bad.
--

Saludos
Mr Big Dragon

"Joan" > wrote in message
et...
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
> Happy holidays to all.

jean

I just tried Stevia in a liquid form, not pure. It has 20% alcohol and I
think that is the bitter taste when placed on the tongue.
It can't be sold as a sugar substitute in the US but it is sold in health
food stores and online........government regulations,etc.
I tried it in hot coffee and it lost the sweetness, even though I had read
that it does not.
Is there anyone in this group who likes and uses it? Grows it?
jean
"Joan" > wrote in message
et...
> Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
> It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>
> Happy holidays to all.

Ted Rosenberg

cc'd by email
WELL, when you DO get the full effects of Steva
It will be too late

Stevia is bad for you, and banned in most of the world

ArtBust wrote:
> I have been using stevia for a year now, I did not get any of the already
> mentionned bad parts !
> Fortunatly I dont have a sweet thoot and rarely use it ! I even started to
> grow it and there we go....Regards J-P.
>
> --
>
> "jean" > a écrit dans le message de news:
>
>>I just tried Stevia in a liquid form, not pure. It has 20% alcohol and I
>>think that is the bitter taste when placed on the tongue.
>>It can't be sold as a sugar substitute in the US but it is sold in health
>>food stores and online........government regulations,etc.
>>I tried it in hot coffee and it lost the sweetness, even though I had read
>>that it does not.
>>Is there anyone in this group who likes and uses it? Grows it?
>>jean
>>"Joan" > wrote in message
.net...

>>>Anybody here ever tried Stevia?
>>>It SEEMS to be a safer alternative than Aspertame and Splenda.
>>>
>>>Happy holidays to all.

lucy

Ted,
I know it's difficult to discern between the two on a newsgroup, but I am
geniunely interested in what you said. I have recently heard of stevia, and
wondered about it. I didn't know it was banned here, I'd read a bit about
it, and couldn't find it in the store. Can you tell me more about it? I was
wondering if it was the same as splenda, but I guess not since it's banned.
What exactly is splenda, and is it good or bad for you?
Any insight greatly appreciated.
Thanks, and have a great day,
lucy

"Ted Rosenberg" > wrote in message
> cc'd by email
> WELL, when you DO get the full effects of Steva
> It will be too late
>
> Stevia is bad for you, and banned in most of the world
>
> ArtBust wrote:
> > I have been using stevia for a year now, I did not get any of the

already
> > mentionned bad parts !
> > Fortunatly I dont have a sweet thoot and rarely use it ! I even started

> > grow it and there we go....Regards J-P.
> >
> > --
> >
> > "jean" > a écrit dans le message de news:
> >
> >>I just tried Stevia in a liquid form, not pure. It has 20% alcohol and

> >>think that is the bitter taste when placed on the tongue.
> >>It can't be sold as a sugar substitute in the US but it is sold in

health
> >>food stores and online........government regulations,etc.
> >>I tried it in hot coffee and it lost the sweetness, even though I had

read
> >>that it does not.
> >>Is there anyone in this group who likes and uses it? Grows it?
> >>jean
> >>"Joan" > wrote in message
> .net...

Ted Rosenberg

cc'd by email

It is banned in the EU, Singapore, and many other countries. It
originated in Japan, and there is a report that it is now also banned
there, but we have not been able to confirm it.

It is illegal to import it into the US, but, because of the "supplement"
exception for snake oil, it is legal to grow it here. The law prohibits
advertising it as a sweetener, BUT, it is ignored by the scammers, sad
not enforced.

Like Ephedra, it is one of the substances known to be bad for you, but
it takes high profile people to die taking it get it banned - and,
because it kills you slowly, is hard to get dramatic effects.

Another problem with Stevia, and all other "supplement" is that it is
not regulated AT ALL.

If you buy lettuce at the store, it is letttece, it is not contaminated
with chemicals or insects, etc.

If you buy Stevia, you probably won't get Stevia, you probably will get
sugar with some anise flavor added - after all, why scam a little when
you can make more money scamming a lot

lucy wrote:

> Ted,
> I know it's difficult to discern between the two on a newsgroup, but I am
> geniunely interested in what you said. I have recently heard of stevia, and
> wondered about it. I didn't know it was banned here, I'd read a bit about
> it, and couldn't find it in the store. Can you tell me more about it? I was
> wondering if it was the same as splenda, but I guess not since it's banned.
> What exactly is splenda, and is it good or bad for you?
> Any insight greatly appreciated.
> Thanks, and have a great day,
> lucy
>
> "Ted Rosenberg" > wrote in message
>
>>cc'd by email
>>WELL, when you DO get the full effects of Steva
>>It will be too late
>>
>>Stevia is bad for you, and banned in most of the world
>>
>>ArtBust wrote:
>>
>>>I have been using stevia for a year now, I did not get any of the

> already
>
>>>mentionned bad parts !
>>>Fortunatly I dont have a sweet thoot and rarely use it ! I even started

>>>grow it and there we go....Regards J-P.
>>>
>>>--

> health

> read

nk.net...

Stevia adiabic Diabetic 23 14-03-2012 07:19 PM
Stevia Wonder Paul M. Cook General Cooking 2 18-10-2010 05:43 PM
Stevia? Steve B[_6_] General Cooking 24 24-03-2010 07:22 PM
Baking & Stevia lakota Baking 6 04-01-2006 08:40 AM
stevia Heather Diabetic 3 21-01-2004 09:03 PM