Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Stevia?

Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.

Any users, and opinions?

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 21, 12:39*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Anyone use it? *My wife got some. *Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> for years. * Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

I use stevia. There are lots of different brands. I don't
particularly like licorise and stevia can have a marked licorise
flavor. The brand I've found I like the most is Stevia In The Raw,
made by the same company that makes Sugar in The Raw.
I use it mostly to sweeten tea, etc.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:39:16 -0800, Steve B wrote:

> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

Not all Stevia is created equal - some brands and forms are better than
others. Although in pretty much all of it - a little bit goes a long way
(not sure if that is accurate for "Truvia"; have only tasted a couple of
packets and the ingredients list led me to think it was more filler than
stevia, possibly to make it analagous to sugar).

The stuff I use, NOW brand of stevia extract powder, has a slight licorice
after taste. Not noticeable in most uses, but with some delicate
applications, eg. weak green tea, you can taste the stevia.

--
"I jotted down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard and Monty Python"
A. Brown
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 21, 1:02*pm, heyjoe > wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:39:16 -0800, Steve B wrote:
> > Anyone use it? *My wife got some. *Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> > for years. * Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.

> > Any users, and opinions?

> > Steve

> Not all Stevia is created equal - some brands and forms are better than
> others. Although in pretty much all of it - a little bit goes a long way
> (not sure if that is accurate for "Truvia"; have only tasted a couple of
> packets and the ingredients list led me to think it was more filler than
> stevia, possibly to make it analagous to sugar).
>
> The stuff I use, NOW brand of stevia extract powder, has a slight licorice
> after taste. *Not noticeable in most uses, but with some delicate
> applications, eg. weak green tea, you can taste the stevia.
>
> --
> "I jotted down three names: Julia Child, Mr. Wizard and Monty Python"
> * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * A. Brown

Stevia In The Raw has a page that tells you what is in it and how it's
made. I like the explanation of why the licorice
flavor is absent with theirs.

http://www.steviaextractintheraw.com/Our-Products.aspx
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> I use stevia. There are lots of different brands. I don't
> particularly like licorise and stevia can have a marked licorise
> flavor. The brand I've found I like the most is Stevia In The Raw,
> made by the same company that makes Sugar in The Raw.
> I use it mostly to sweeten tea, etc.

My sister likes Stevia so she planted some in her garden. She never
mentioned how she would extract and purify the steviol glycosides from
the leaves.

Becca

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 21, 1:45*pm, Becca > wrote:
> ImStillMags wrote:
> > I use stevia. * There are lots of different brands. * I don't
> > particularly like licorise and stevia can have a marked licorise
> > flavor. *The brand I've found I like the most is Stevia In The Raw,
> > made by the same company that makes Sugar in The Raw.
> > I use it mostly to sweeten tea, etc.

> My sister likes Stevia so she planted some in her garden. *She never
> mentioned how she would extract and purify the steviol glycosides from
> the leaves.
>
> Becca

LOL, Becca!! maybe she just plans to chew them?
Maybe make tea?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jan 21, 1:45 pm, Becca > wrote:
>
>> My sister likes Stevia so she planted some in her garden. She never
>> mentioned how she would extract and purify the steviol glycosides from
>> the leaves.
>>
>> Becca
>>

> LOL, Becca!! maybe she just plans to chew them?
> Maybe make tea?

My sister is just a little nutty, so it is hard to tell. She also grew
square cucumbers and a couple of giant pumpkins. lol Our gardens did
not do well this year, it was too hot and dry in May and June, so many
of the plants would not flower. :-( I hope we have better luck
this year.

Becca
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:
> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Jan 21, 2:43*pm, lil abner > wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
> > Anyone use it? *My wife got some. *Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> > for years. * Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.

> > Any users, and opinions?

> > Steve

> I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
> It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.

If you only used it once, how in the world could it help with keeping
your sugar levels down????
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ImStillMags wrote:
> On Jan 21, 2:43 pm, lil abner > wrote:
>> Steve B wrote:
>>> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
>>> for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>>> Any users, and opinions?
>>> Steve

>> I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
>> It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.

> If you only used it once, how in the world could it help with keeping
> your sugar levels down????

Years of dealing with controlling my gluclose numbers but one time is
not enough, of course. Perhaps some others can comment with more use of
Stevia.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
On Jan 21, 12:39 pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

I use stevia. There are lots of different brands. I don't
particularly like licorise and stevia can have a marked licorise
flavor. The brand I've found I like the most is Stevia In The Raw,
made by the same company that makes Sugar in The Raw.
I use it mostly to sweeten tea, etc.

reply:

That's what she got. I would have used it, but on morning coffee, I had
already put my five spoons of sugar and lot of creamer in the mug, then had
a shot before I was awake enough to realize I forgot it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 3:39*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> Anyone use it? *My wife got some. *Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> for years. * Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

I have two of the liquids - vanilla creme which I like in coffee, and
lemon which I THOUGHT would make a nice lemonade. NO.

A bottle lasts forever - I use four drops from the eyedropper
applicator in the coffee.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

lil abner wrote:
> Steve B wrote:
>> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in
>> Japan for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>>
>> Any users, and opinions?
>>
>> Steve
>>

> I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
> It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.

Do you think that maybe the carbohydrates in your cereal might have a
bit to do with your sugar levels? If you don't, then maybe you need to
see an educator.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 8:38*pm, Janet Wilder > wrote:
> lil abner wrote:

> > I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
> > It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.

> Do you think that maybe the carbohydrates in your cereal might have a
> bit to do with your sugar levels? If you don't, then maybe you need to
> see an educator.

If he eats cereal all the time and usually sweetens it with artificial
sweetener
(or nothing), it would be easy to see what the immediate effect of
stevia is.
A later post of his says he's got years of experience in controlling
his
glucose numbers.

Cindy Hamilton

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 21, 5:11*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "ImStillMags" > wrote in message

> On Jan 21, 12:39 pm, "Steve B" > wrote:
>
> > Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in Japan
> > for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.

> > Any users, and opinions?

> > Steve

> I use stevia. * There are lots of different brands. * I don't
> particularly like licorise and stevia can have a marked licorise
> flavor. *The brand I've found I like the most is Stevia In The Raw,
> made by the same company that makes Sugar in The Raw.
> I use it mostly to sweeten tea, etc.
>
> reply:
>
> That's what she got. *I would have used it, but on morning coffee, I had
> already put my five spoons of sugar and lot of creamer in the mug, then had
> a shot before I was awake enough to realize I forgot it.

If you use non-dairy creamer in coffee, then you are hopeless anyway.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"--Bryan" > wrote

If you use non-dairy creamer in coffee, then you are hopeless anyway.

--Bryan

Sez you. I like it.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
> lil abner wrote:
>> Steve B wrote:
>>> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in
>>> Japan for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>>>
>>> Any users, and opinions?
>>>
>>> Steve
>>>

>> I've used it once on cereal. It tasted fine.
>> It didn't seem to help in keeping my sugar levels down.

> Do you think that maybe the carbohydrates in your cereal might have a bit
> to do with your sugar levels? If you don't, then maybe you need to see an
> educator.
>
> --
> Janet Wilder

A person who knows how to monitor their blood levels is more educated than
the average person, therefore I will always defer to their judgment.

I have monitored my coumadin level for 8.5 years. That doesn't make me an
expert, but it does put me a little ahead of the pack.

What are your qualifications and experience with monitoring blood sugar
levels?

And the statement of using it "once" could mean that they used it over a
period of time once, and not one single solitary event. That's how I would
have written it, unless I was writing it for an English class essay.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
--Bryan > wrote:

> On Jan 21, 5:11*pm, "Steve B" > wrote:

> > That's what she got. *I would have used it, but on morning coffee, I had
> > already put my five spoons of sugar and lot of creamer in the mug, then had
> > a shot before I was awake enough to realize I forgot it.

> If you use non-dairy creamer in coffee, then you are hopeless anyway.

It's like drugs. One spoon of that white powder, and you're hooked for
life. By next week, you'll be sleeping in the gutter, with a strong
non-dairy creamer breath.

It was nice to know you.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"Steve B" > wrote:

> "Janet Wilder" > wrote in message

> > Do you think that maybe the carbohydrates in your cereal might have a bit
> > to do with your sugar levels? If you don't, then maybe you need to see an
> > educator.

> A person who knows how to monitor their blood levels is more educated than
> the average person, therefore I will always defer to their judgment.
>
> I have monitored my coumadin level for 8.5 years. That doesn't make me an
> expert, but it does put me a little ahead of the pack.

> What are your qualifications and experience with monitoring blood sugar
> levels?

It can be done by a second grader. In fact, my wife has a friend who
teaches second grade, and has had a couple of Type I diabetics in her
class over the years. They test their blood sugar in class.
Occasionally they will have a problem, raise their hand and ask
permission to drink their juice or whatever they have, as their blood
sugar is too low. The teacher will make a point of asking later if the
blood sugar is OK now.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 22, 10:15*am, "Steve B" > wrote:
> "--Bryan" > wrote
>
> If you use non-dairy creamer in coffee, then you are hopeless anyway.
>
> --Bryan
>
> Sez you. *I like it.

Nothing screams White trash like non-dairy creamer. Well, except
possum innards.

> Steve

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve B wrote:

> Any users, and opinions?

For me it has a gritty texture for the granular types. If I wanted to
avoid sugar to the point of being unwilling to use packets because they
use sugar filler, I'd use the drops. There aren't that many types of
artificial sweeteners that are easily avaliable as drops. Saccharine
drops are easy to find but bitter. Sucralose drops Sweetfreez is hard
to find. That makes stevia drops the remaining option for taking sugar
avoidance to an extreme. I prefer to just have less sweet food most of
the time and prefer the Splenda with filler when baking.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:39:16 -0800, Steve B wrote:

> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in
> Japan for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>
> Any users, and opinions?
>
> Steve

I'm a long time diabetic. When I hung around the diabetic newsgroups, the
regular diabetic there all avoided stevia. The only people advocated it
were the crazy loon, "all artificial sweeteners are deadly" crowd, most
of who were not themselves diabetic. They were just there to hawk stevia.

Until sometime last year the FDA banned selling it as sweetener until
last year when they gave up the fight. I seem to remember some nasty
interactions with drugs.

I suggest you research it very cary including all the data that the fda
has on it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Handy Gandy wrote:
> On Thu, 21 Jan 2010 12:39:16 -0800, Steve B wrote:
>
>> Anyone use it? My wife got some. Says it has been highly popular in
>> Japan for years. Well, they eat raw squid and octopus, too.
>>
>> Any users, and opinions?
>>
>> Steve

> I'm a long time diabetic. When I hung around the diabetic newsgroups, the
> regular diabetic there all avoided stevia. The only people advocated it
> were the crazy loon, "all artificial sweeteners are deadly" crowd, most
> of who were not themselves diabetic. They were just there to hawk stevia.
>
> Until sometime last year the FDA banned selling it as sweetener until
> last year when they gave up the fight. I seem to remember some nasty
> interactions with drugs.
>
> I suggest you research it very cary including all the data that the fda
> has on it.

The problem with the FDA is that they are biased against anything that
cannot be patented or monopolised by major corporations - hence they
cannot be trusted to be impartial.

by those who haven't got it - George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Handy Gandy wrote:

> I'm a long time diabetic. When I hung around the diabetic newsgroups, the
> regular diabetic there all avoided stevia.

I found it gritty so I didn't like it.

> The only people advocated it
> were the crazy loon, "all artificial sweeteners are deadly" crowd, most
> of who were not themselves diabetic.

Old age onset diabetes runs in my family so I low carb much of the time
in an attempt at prevention. I already know that sugar is toxic to
folks suseptible to diabetes. So I don't even object to the idea that
artificial sweeteners tend to be somewhat toxic. But at what dosage
level? I use a lot less sucralose than I do sugar so it can be a lot
more toxic than sugar and still be a net gain for me.

The one that gets the most complaints is aspartame. It doesn't have any
effect on me but I do know a couple of people who do have reactions to
it when they have some accidentally. Blind tastings are instructive for
the same reason.

Last time I was in Canada I forgot to look for cyclamates at the store.
I figure that one was banned for reasons known to be invalid so it's
probably the least-bad of them all.

Stevia adiabic Diabetic 23 14-03-2012 07:19 PM
Stevia Wonder Paul M. Cook General Cooking 2 18-10-2010 05:43 PM
Baking & Stevia lakota Baking 6 04-01-2006 08:40 AM
Stevia Joan Diabetic 17 22-02-2004 04:21 PM
stevia Heather Diabetic 3 21-01-2004 09:03 PM