FoodBanter.com

-   -   Stevia (https://www.foodbanter.com/diabetic/416209-stevia.html)

adiabic 11-03-2012 01:10 PM

Stevia

I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I read
the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as 'Maltodextrin'.
So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
sugar (sucrose)?

I tried to find out and read
http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php
which says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the GI
of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras the
GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.

This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so why
did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?

Bad move if you ask me.

Robert Miles[_5_] 11-03-2012 02:46 PM

Stevia

On Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:10:12 AM UTC-5, adiabic wrote:
> I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
> Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I read
> the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as 'Maltodextrin'.
> So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
> sugar (sucrose)?
>
> I tried to find out and read
> http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php
> which says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
> Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
> sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the GI
> of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras the
> GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.
>
> This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
> opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so why
> did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?
>
> Bad move if you ask me.

They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

adiabic 11-03-2012 03:37 PM

Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:46:52 -0700, Robert Miles wrote:

> On Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:10:12 AM UTC-5, adiabic wrote:
>> I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
>> Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I
>> read the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as
>> 'Maltodextrin'.
>> So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
>> sugar (sucrose)?
>>
>> I tried to find out and read
>> http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php which
>> says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
>> Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
>> sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the
>> GI of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras
>> the GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.
>>
>> This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
>> opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so
>> why did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?
>>
>> Bad move if you ask me.

> They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it
> occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that
> maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
'licorice taste' problem?

Evelyn 11-03-2012 04:24 PM

Stevia

On 11 Mar 2012 14:37:17 GMT, adiabic > wrote:

>On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:46:52 -0700, Robert Miles wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:10:12 AM UTC-5, adiabic wrote:
>>> I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
>>> Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I
>>> read the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as
>>> 'Maltodextrin'.
>>> So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
>>> sugar (sucrose)?
>>>
>>> I tried to find out and read
>>> http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php which
>>> says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
>>> Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
>>> sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the
>>> GI of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras
>>> the GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.
>>>
>>> This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
>>> opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so
>>> why did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?
>>>
>>> Bad move if you ask me.

>> They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it
>> occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that
>> maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

>Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
>equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
>By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
>'licorice taste' problem?

You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.

I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
Evelyn

Cheri[_3_] 11-03-2012 07:25 PM

Stevia

"adiabic" > wrote in message
.com...
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 06:46:52 -0700, Robert Miles wrote:
>
>> On Sunday, March 11, 2012 7:10:12 AM UTC-5, adiabic wrote:
>>> I found a Stevia product, called 'Natrena Stevia'.
>>> Now this sounds like stevia, as in 0 calories en GI = 0, but when I
>>> read the ingredients, I saw there's 97% carbohydrates in it as
>>> 'Maltodextrin'.
>>> So what is the resulting GI compared to using the same amount of table
>>> sugar (sucrose)?
>>>
>>> I tried to find out and read
>>> http://www.pcosupport.org/newsletter...le121008-3.php which
>>> says the GI of maltodextrin is between 106 and 136.
>>> Now this 'Natrena Stevia' says on the label that for every weight of
>>> sugar, one needs 1/8th of 'Natrena Stevia', which, I think, makes the
>>> GI of this product effectively ranging from 106/8=13 to 136/8=17 wheras
>>> the GI of table sugar (sucrose) is 65.
>>>
>>> This means only a factor of improvement between 3.8 and 5 which in my
>>> opinion is not very sensational. I mean, Stevia itself has GI = 0, so
>>> why did they ever mix the maltodextrin in?
>>>
>>> Bad move if you ask me.

>> They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it
>> occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that
>> maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

> Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
> equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
> By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
> 'licorice taste' problem?

I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste, but
some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about them now
though.

Cheri

Cheri[_3_] 11-03-2012 07:29 PM

Stevia

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On 11 Mar 2012 14:37:17 GMT, adiabic > wrote:

>>> They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it
>>> occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that
>>> maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

>>Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
>>equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
>>By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
>>'licorice taste' problem?

> You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.
>
> I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
> Evelyn

I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but everyone
varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really nasty
aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for cooking.
However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.

Cheri

KROM 11-03-2012 07:34 PM

Stevia

every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

KROM

.com...

adiabic 11-03-2012 11:27 PM

Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:24:12 -0400, Evelyn wrote:

> On 11 Mar 2012 14:37:17 GMT, adiabic > wrote:

>>> They needed to put SOMETHING in to make it granular, and to make it
>>> occupy about the same space as the sugar it replaces. I agree that
>>> maltodextrin was not a very good choice of what to put in.

>>Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
>>equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
>>By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
>>'licorice taste' problem?

> You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.
>
> I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
> Evelyn

Yes, I have that one. I've heard somewhere that 'the industry' has solved
the (by refining) taste problem. That's why I was so interested in this
'Nutrena Stevia', but also disappointed to learn that there's so much
maltodextrin in it.

adiabic 12-03-2012 12:39 AM

Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:

[snip>

> I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
> but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about
> them now though.
>
> Cheri

That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
Thanks

Cheri[_3_] 12-03-2012 12:42 AM

Stevia

"adiabic" > wrote in message
.com...
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
> [snip>
>
>> I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
>> but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know about
>> them now though.
>>
>> Cheri

> That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
> Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
> Thanks

Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health food
store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.

Cheri

Evelyn 12-03-2012 03:11 AM

Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:29:03 -0700, "Cheri" >
wrote:

>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
.. .

>>>Wasn't it better to make drops then? Something like: "Every drop is
>>>equivalent to 1 teaspoon sugar.
>>>By the way, I didn't buy it, do you know if they have solved the
>>>'licorice taste' problem?

>> You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.
>>
>> I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
>> Evelyn

>I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but everyone
>varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really nasty
>aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for cooking.
>However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
>aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.
>
>Cheri

Cheri, my brother cannot STAND the taste of Splenda either. I like it
and find it has no aftertaste at all. But my brother is also used to
using nutra-sweet (Equal) in soda, coffee, etc. It seems that the
people who are used to the taste of Nutra sweet are the ones who most
dislike the taste of Splenda.

Strange... but it is that way.

Evelyn

Cheri[_3_] 12-03-2012 04:07 AM

Stevia

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:29:03 -0700, "Cheri" >
> wrote:
>
>>"Evelyn" > wrote in message
. ..

>>> You can get it in a health food store in a tincture form.
>>>
>>> I absolutely hate the taste. If I must use a sweetener I use Splenda.
>>> Evelyn

>>I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but
>>everyone
>>varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really
>>nasty
>>aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for
>>cooking.
>>However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
>>aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.
>>
>>Cheri

> Cheri, my brother cannot STAND the taste of Splenda either. I like it
> and find it has no aftertaste at all. But my brother is also used to
> using nutra-sweet (Equal) in soda, coffee, etc. It seems that the
> people who are used to the taste of Nutra sweet are the ones who most
> dislike the taste of Splenda.
>
> Strange... but it is that way.
>
> Evelyn

Yes, it is strange, but so true. I used to wonder if maybe different
medications and things caused things to taste different, like NyQuil at
times makes things taste really salty to me.

Cheri

Nick Cramer 12-03-2012 12:02 PM

Stevia

"KROM" > wrote:
> every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
> erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.

[ . . . . ]

One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas. I
tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave them
to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and it
doesn't raise my BG.

families: https://semperfifund.org https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/
http://www.specialops.org/ http://www.helpforheroes.org.uk/ ~Semper Fi~
http://www.woundedwarriors.ca/ http://www.legacy.com.au/ ~Semper Fi~

KROM 12-03-2012 07:49 PM

Stevia

I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
the same as the regular now.

so I'm calling shenagins on them..

as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..

sad..

KROM

Cheri[_3_] 12-03-2012 08:25 PM

Stevia

"KROM" > wrote in message ...
>I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
>had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and looks
>the same as the regular now.
>
> so I'm calling shenagins on them..
>
> as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan base
> then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..
>
> sad..
>
> KROM

Yep, just like some of those mail order diabetes suppliers, starting you out
with a good brand strips, meter, etc., and then switching you to the cheaper
version. It's really annoying to have suppliers making products smaller and
charging the same too, just have the same size and charge more if you have
to without all the presto magic tricks.

Cheri

Nick Cramer 12-03-2012 09:29 PM

Stevia

"KROM" > wrote:
> I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as it
> had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste and
> looks the same as the regular now.
>
> so I'm calling shenagins on them..
>
> as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
> base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..
>
> sad..

I order granulated Splenda online. It comes in 550 gm bags, consists of
maltodextrin and sucralose and still tastes fine to me. Sorry it doesn't
for you.

Ozgirl 12-03-2012 11:15 PM

Stevia

Do you have truth in labelling laws?

Nick Cramer 13-03-2012 12:05 AM

Stevia

"Ozgirl" > wrote:
> Do you have truth in labelling laws?
>
> "KROM" > wrote in message

> > I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as
> > it had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste
> > and looks the same as the regular now.
> >
> > so I'm calling shenagins on them..
> >
> > as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
> > base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..
> >
> > sad..

> > "Nick Cramer" wrote in message
> > "KROM" > wrote:
> >> every stevia product I see is like one percent stevia and 90 percent
> >> erythritol or xlitol and the rest fillers so I see no point in it.
> >>

> > [ . . . . ]
> >
> > One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas.
> > tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave
> > them
> > to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and
> > it
> > doesn't raise my BG.

Not sure if you're asking me or KROM, but as far as I know, we do have
truth-in-labeling laws here in the USA. Of course, they're written by
politicians or bureaucratic hacks, so caveat emptor, eh?

KROM 13-03-2012 07:06 PM

Stevia

the most annoying example thats easy to see is of all things..toilet paper!
you can buy the exact same brand and you will see the size of the rolls
wildly change from generous well made rolls one time to the next time you go
to buy it its thin and scratchy pitiful rolls.

I notice that the companies cant decide either ..sometimes when it is on
sale its nicer..as if to entice new buyers and other times the one sale
rolls are a joke as if to show that your getting a bargain even though you
are not..

makes me mad..lol

KROM

KROM 13-03-2012 07:17 PM

Stevia

companies take the gamble..

for example they make millions off a thing before getting caught and when
caught the fine is a whopping 5000 dollars..hardly a incentive to be honest.

even worst is I notice that a lot food that are recalled go on a deep sale
right before..meaning the company knew and purposely sols bad product to
make as much as they could before the recall..

also its hard to nail them down on a product change like using cheaper
ingredients..its the same product..just inferior

and again companies will eventually change the label when forced and pay a
tiny fine

KROM

adiabic 14-03-2012 02:12 AM

Stevia

On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:42:04 -0700, Cheri wrote:

> "adiabic" > wrote in message
> .com...
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>>
>> [snip>
>>
>>> I have the liquid Stevia and that has no licorice taste or aftertaste,
>>> but some of the older versions of the packets used to, don't know
>>> about them now though.
>>>
>>> Cheri

>> That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
>> Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
>> Thanks

> Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health
> food store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.
>
> Cheri

Thanks!

Peppermint Patootie 14-03-2012 08:12 PM

Stevia

In article >,
Nick Cramer > wrote:

> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
> > Do you have truth in labelling laws?
> >
> > "KROM" > wrote in message

> > > I loved the splenda with fiber instead of malto dextrin or whatever as
> > > it had no aftertaste..but last two boxes or so had a metallic taste
> > > and looks the same as the regular now.
> > >
> > > so I'm calling shenagins on them..
> > >
> > > as I've said before companies make a thing great until they get a fan
> > > base then go cheap because they figure most wont notice..
> > >
> > > sad..

> > > [ . . . . ]
> > >
> > > One of my daughters gave me a couple of stevia products for Christmas.
> > > tasted each, so I could tell, her I did. I didn't care them and gave
> > > them
> > > to one of my other daughters. I really like the taste of Splenda and
> > > it
> > > doesn't raise my BG.

> Not sure if you're asking me or KROM, but as far as I know, we do have
> truth-in-labeling laws here in the USA. Of course, they're written by
> politicians or bureaucratic hacks, so caveat emptor, eh?

And a law without any enforcement is useless.

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Peppermint Patootie 14-03-2012 08:17 PM

Stevia

In article >,
adiabic > wrote:

> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 16:42:04 -0700, Cheri wrote:
>
> > "adiabic" > wrote in message
> > .com...
> >> On Sun, 11 Mar 2012 11:25:49 -0700, Cheri wrote:
> >>
> >> [snip>

> >> That's good news. that you have found liquid Stevia with no aftertaste.
> >> Could you please tell me the brand so I can look for it?
> >> Thanks

> > Sure, it's "Wisdom of The Ancients" brand. I bought it at the health
> > food store. It comes in a dropper bottle and lasts a long time.
> >
> > Cheri

> Thanks!

I just found a bunch of others at Lucky Vitamin:

http://www.luckyvitamin.com/sb-liquid-stevia

PP
- Chris Malcolm

Peppermint Patootie 14-03-2012 08:19 PM

Stevia

In article >,
Evelyn > wrote:

> >I don't find the liquid to have a taste at all, just sweetness, but everyone
> >varies and I used to hate the powdered Stevia. Splenda leaves a really nasty
> >aftertaste to me, so I use Nutra-Sweet powder, and Sweetz-Free for cooking.
> >However, I'm finding that the Sweetz-Free is starting to have a bit of an
> >aftertaste too. I imagine tastes change or something.
> >
> >Cheri

> Cheri, my brother cannot STAND the taste of Splenda either. I like it
> and find it has no aftertaste at all. But my brother is also used to
> using nutra-sweet (Equal) in soda, coffee, etc. It seems that the
> people who are used to the taste of Nutra sweet are the ones who most
> dislike the taste of Splenda.
>
> Strange... but it is that way.
>
> Evelyn

I can taste every artificial sweetener I've tried other than sugar
alcohols. Splenda, Equal, saccarine -- they all taste like I'm sucking
pennies unless they're in dairy. If they're in dairy and I don't use a
lot, I don't get the aftertaste.

I'm going to try some liquid Stevia.

PP
- Chris Malcolm