Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Pumpkin Cheesecake: This year's version

Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to be
sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a sugar
substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but the eggs, and
taste for sweetness before cooking.

I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup) than
the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this size (1 cup).
In addition, I skipped the various crust possibilities--I don't think that
crust adds anything to a good cheesecake--and cooked it in a bain marie. The
result was very creamy and delicious, albeit a bit too soft in the center.
(This might be because of my less-than-reliable lower oven, which I was
forced to use because the turkey was in the good one.) It did not taste
artificially sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from eating it.

The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz can of
plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can skip this and
use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon,
fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves,
3 eggs. Next time I might throw in an additional egg yolk to firm it up a
bit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

sounds another keeper, Lee
"Janet" > wrote in message
> Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to be
> sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a sugar
> substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but the eggs,
> and taste for sweetness before cooking.
>
> I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup) than
> the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this size (1
> cup). In addition, I skipped the various crust possibilities--I don't
> think that crust adds anything to a good cheesecake--and cooked it in a
> bain marie. The result was very creamy and delicious, albeit a bit too
> soft in the center. (This might be because of my less-than-reliable lower
> oven, which I was forced to use because the turkey was in the good one.)
> It did not taste artificially sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from
> eating it.
>
> The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz can of
> plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can skip this and
> use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon,
> fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground
> cloves, 3 eggs. Next time I might throw in an additional egg yolk to firm
> it up a bit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Janet > wrote:
[...]

Looks delicious. As I alwasy have a problem with my springform pans
leaking even when well wrapped in 2 sheets of heavy duty foil, I use the
start in a 500F oven and then lower to 250 WITHOUT opening bake method.
It works fo rme and no wet feet on the cake.
Wendy

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to
>> be sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a
>> sugar substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but
>> the eggs, and taste for sweetness before cooking.

>> I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup)
>> than the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this
>> size (1 cup). In addition, I skipped the various crust
>> possibilities--I don't think that crust adds anything to a good
>> cheesecake--and cooked it in a bain marie. The result was very
>> creamy and delicious, albeit a bit too soft in the center. (This
>> might be because of my less-than-reliable lower oven, which I was
>> forced to use because the turkey was in the good one.) It did not
>> taste artificially sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from eating
>> it.

>> The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz
>> can of plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can
>> skip this and use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp
>> vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp
>> ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 3 eggs. Next time I might
>> throw in an additional egg yolk to firm it up a bit.

> Looks delicious. As I alwasy have a problem with my springform pans
> leaking even when well wrapped in 2 sheets of heavy duty foil, I use
> the start in a 500F oven and then lower to 250 WITHOUT opening bake
> method. It works fo rme and no wet feet on the cake.
> Wendy

I find that a single sheet of wide, heavy duty foil does the trick, while a
doubled regular sheet is prone to seepage. But I've never had an actual
incursion of fluid into the cake. I cooked this in an 8" springform, instead
of the 9" it called for. As usual when cooking a crustless cheesecake, I
spray the pan with Pam, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper,
and respray. And I forgot to mention that the recipe includes a little salt.

I use Rose Levy Beranbaum's cooking method, which is to cook in a bain marie
at 350 for 45 minutes, then leave it in the oven without opening the door
for an hour.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

We don't get canned pumpkin. How would you prepare it from scratch and
what kind of pumpkin?

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to be
> sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a sugar
> substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but the
> eggs, and taste for sweetness before cooking.
>
> I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup)
> than the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this
> size (1 cup). In addition, I skipped the various crust
> possibilities--I don't think that crust adds anything to a good
> cheesecake--and cooked it in a bain marie. The result was very creamy
> and delicious, albeit a bit too soft in the center. (This might be
> because of my less-than-reliable lower oven, which I was forced to use
> because the turkey was in the good one.) It did not taste artificially
> sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from eating it.
>
> The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz can
> of plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can skip
> this and use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp vanilla, 1
> tsp cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/8
> tsp ground cloves, 3 eggs. Next time I might throw in an additional
> egg yolk to firm it up a bit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Ozgirl" > wrote:

> We don't get canned pumpkin. How would you prepare it from scratch and
> what kind of pumpkin?

Remember, what you call pumpkin isn't the same thing that we call
pumpkin, although it's related.

Here are some illustrated instructions
<http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php> that will give you an idea.
You could probably use any yellow/orange-fleshed squash (so, what's sold
by you as pumpkin), and come close.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

It says you can use a butternut pumpkin. I wonder if they are the same
as ours. I probably would use butternut, its softer to work with.

"Alice Faber" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>
>> We don't get canned pumpkin. How would you prepare it from scratch
>> and
>> what kind of pumpkin?

> Remember, what you call pumpkin isn't the same thing that we call
> pumpkin, although it's related.
>
> Here are some illustrated instructions
> <http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php> that will give you an
> idea.
> You could probably use any yellow/orange-fleshed squash (so, what's
> sold
> by you as pumpkin), and come close.
>
> --
> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

ANd with the ginger flavoured base like Susan talked about. I love
ginger in anything

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> It says you can use a butternut pumpkin. I wonder if they are the same
> as ours. I probably would use butternut, its softer to work with.
>
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>>
>>> We don't get canned pumpkin. How would you prepare it from scratch
>>> and
>>> what kind of pumpkin?

>> Remember, what you call pumpkin isn't the same thing that we call
>> pumpkin, although it's related.
>>
>> Here are some illustrated instructions
>> <http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php> that will give you an
>> idea.
>> You could probably use any yellow/orange-fleshed squash (so, what's
>> sold
>> by you as pumpkin), and come close.
>>
>> --
>> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then
>> attack
>> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

you guys get yams/sweet potato there right?

to me they are pretty much exactly the same

but if you want a easy way to make American pumpkin pie you will need the
orange American one..I forget what other countries call it..

my no recipe versions super simple..

just remove the seeds and the orange meat from the rind and nuke it till
soft..toss it in a blender with 2 egg whites and 3 yolk and sugar sub and
milk or cream and cinnamon and nutmeg and or allspice and blend it till
smooth and pour into a shell and bake till still still a tiny jiggly in
center.

you make this pretty much no fail every time

KROM

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to be
> sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a sugar
> substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but the eggs,
> and taste for sweetness before cooking.
>
> I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup) than
> the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this size (1
> cup). In addition, I skipped the various crust possibilities--I don't
> think that crust adds anything to a good cheesecake--and cooked it in a
> bain marie. The result was very creamy and delicious, albeit a bit too
> soft in the center. (This might be because of my less-than-reliable lower
> oven, which I was forced to use because the turkey was in the good one.)
> It did not taste artificially sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from
> eating it.
>
> The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz can of
> plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can skip this and
> use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon,
> fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground
> cloves, 3 eggs. Next time I might throw in an additional egg yolk to firm
> it up a bit.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

anything we call squash or you call pumpkin will work, Lee
"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> It says you can use a butternut pumpkin. I wonder if they are the same as
> ours. I probably would use butternut, its softer to work with.
>
> "Alice Faber" > wrote in message
>> In article >,
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote:
>>
>>> We don't get canned pumpkin. How would you prepare it from scratch and
>>> what kind of pumpkin?

>> Remember, what you call pumpkin isn't the same thing that we call
>> pumpkin, although it's related.
>>
>> Here are some illustrated instructions
>> <http://www.pickyourown.org/pumpkinpie.php> that will give you an idea.
>> You could probably use any yellow/orange-fleshed squash (so, what's sold
>> by you as pumpkin), and come close.
>>
>> --
>> "Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
>> what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

> we LOVE butternut squash and i've yet to make it into a curried
> butternut squash soup, just toss it into the pressure cooker and when
> done, serve the circles/half circles sans skin

I eat the skins of all pumpkins

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/27/2011 12:21 AM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>
>> we LOVE butternut squash and i've yet to make it into a curried
>> butternut squash soup, just toss it into the pressure cooker and when
>> done, serve the circles/half circles sans skin

> I eat the skins of all pumpkins

hmm....... and they aren't tough? I'm going to have to be adventurous!

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 11/27/2011 12:21 AM, Ozgirl wrote:
>>

>> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
>>
>>> we LOVE butternut squash and i've yet to make it into a curried
>>> butternut squash soup, just toss it into the pressure cooker and
>>> when
>>> done, serve the circles/half circles sans skin

>> I eat the skins of all pumpkins

> hmm....... and they aren't tough? I'm going to have to be
> adventurous!
>
> kate

Not at all. I cook the kids' pumpkin with skins too knowing they will
leave them and I will eat them, lol. Roasted or boiled, same thing -
skin soft enough to eat. Saves a lot of peeling time too

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 11/27/2011 3:52 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I eat the skins of all pumpkins

>> hmm....... and they aren't tough? I'm going to have to be adventurous!
>>
>> kate

> Not at all. I cook the kids' pumpkin with skins too knowing they will
> leave them and I will eat them, lol. Roasted or boiled, same thing -
> skin soft enough to eat. Saves a lot of peeling time too

i always scooped AFTER cooking, not a lot of peeling time

but

ok, get some sour cream and see if these are palatable!

lol
kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I have had gourd rind pickles a lot as a kid..my mom used all the
pumpkin..we ate the seeds toasted and the rind as pickles

if I recall she boiled them in the pickling agents to make them soft..

KROM