Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Janet Janet is offline

Default Pumpkin Cheesecake: This year's version

W. Baker wrote:
> Janet > wrote:
>> Last year I made a pumpkin cheesecake with Splenda, and found it to
>> be sickeningly sweet. So this year I made one using xylitol as a
>> sugar substitute. I decided that I would mix together everything but
>> the eggs, and taste for sweetness before cooking.

>> I started with 1/2 cup of xylitol, and ended up using less (3/4 cup)
>> than the amount of sugar called for in the standard recipes of this
>> size (1 cup). In addition, I skipped the various crust
>> possibilities--I don't think that crust adds anything to a good
>> cheesecake--and cooked it in a bain marie. The result was very
>> creamy and delicious, albeit a bit too soft in the center. (This
>> might be because of my less-than-reliable lower oven, which I was
>> forced to use because the turkey was in the good one.) It did not
>> taste artificially sweetened, and no one got diarrhea from eating
>> it.

>> The proportions I used we 24 oz softened cream cheese, 1 15 oz
>> can of plain pumpkin, 3/4 cup of xylitol, 1 TBS cornstarch (one can
>> skip this and use 6 egg yolks instead of 3 whole eggs), 1 tsp
>> vanilla, 1 tsp cinnamon, fresh grated nutmeg to taste, 1/2 tsp
>> ground ginger, 1/8 tsp ground cloves, 3 eggs. Next time I might
>> throw in an additional egg yolk to firm it up a bit.

> Looks delicious. As I alwasy have a problem with my springform pans
> leaking even when well wrapped in 2 sheets of heavy duty foil, I use
> the start in a 500F oven and then lower to 250 WITHOUT opening bake
> method. It works fo rme and no wet feet on the cake.
> Wendy

I find that a single sheet of wide, heavy duty foil does the trick, while a
doubled regular sheet is prone to seepage. But I've never had an actual
incursion of fluid into the cake. I cooked this in an 8" springform, instead
of the 9" it called for. As usual when cooking a crustless cheesecake, I
spray the pan with Pam, line the bottom with a circle of parchment paper,
and respray. And I forgot to mention that the recipe includes a little salt.

I use Rose Levy Beranbaum's cooking method, which is to cook in a bain marie
at 350 for 45 minutes, then leave it in the oven without opening the door
for an hour.