Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Too many carbs!

My dad is now on the floor where they do physical therapy. My mom called in
his lunch order and tried to get him a taco salad and penne pasta They
wouldn't let her do that. It was too many carbs. I think the penne had 15
g but am not sure. He did have that for dinner tonight and it wasn't an
overly large portion.

The taco salad came in a nice looking edible bowl but it was made of a corn
tortilla and not one of those fried flour things. 45 g of carb, or it would
have been had he eaten the shell. He did not. Just ate the salad and a raw
veggie plate. Also a sugar free Jell-O.

So Swedish is on top of things when it comes to diabetic diets. Yes, I know
some of you would be mortified at that many carbs. He does take basal
insulin all of the time and he is on basal. I don't know how they figure
his basal. I was worried that he'd go hypo because he didn't eat the carb
portion of his meal. But he did not. The test BG before every meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

its nice to hear a good report about a medical facility, Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> My dad is now on the floor where they do physical therapy. My mom called
> in his lunch order and tried to get him a taco salad and penne pasta They
> wouldn't let her do that. It was too many carbs. I think the penne had
> 15 g but am not sure. He did have that for dinner tonight and it wasn't
> an overly large portion.
>
> The taco salad came in a nice looking edible bowl but it was made of a
> corn tortilla and not one of those fried flour things. 45 g of carb, or
> it would have been had he eaten the shell. He did not. Just ate the
> salad and a raw veggie plate. Also a sugar free Jell-O.
>
> So Swedish is on top of things when it comes to diabetic diets. Yes, I
> know some of you would be mortified at that many carbs. He does take
> basal insulin all of the time and he is on basal. I don't know how they
> figure his basal. I was worried that he'd go hypo because he didn't eat
> the carb portion of his meal. But he did not. The test BG before every
> meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

That's good and just quietly it might be a lesson for your mum.
Hopefully someone with authority will explain to her why he needs to
watch his carbs. Not saying the stroke was caused by high bg's and
co-related lipid abnormalities but in a diabetic its always a
possibility.

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> My dad is now on the floor where they do physical therapy. My mom
> called in his lunch order and tried to get him a taco salad and penne
> pasta They wouldn't let her do that. It was too many carbs. I think
> the penne had 15 g but am not sure. He did have that for dinner
> tonight and it wasn't an overly large portion.
>
> The taco salad came in a nice looking edible bowl but it was made of a
> corn tortilla and not one of those fried flour things. 45 g of carb,
> or it would have been had he eaten the shell. He did not. Just ate
> the salad and a raw veggie plate. Also a sugar free Jell-O.
>
> So Swedish is on top of things when it comes to diabetic diets. Yes,
> I know some of you would be mortified at that many carbs. He does
> take basal insulin all of the time and he is on basal. I don't know
> how they figure his basal. I was worried that he'd go hypo because he
> didn't eat the carb portion of his meal. But he did not. The test BG
> before every meal.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> That's good and just quietly it might be a lesson for your mum. Hopefully
> someone with authority will explain to her why he needs to watch his
> carbs. Not saying the stroke was caused by high bg's and co-related lipid
> abnormalities but in a diabetic its always a possibility.

There was a lady who asked about his meals and she said she watched his
carbs carefully at home. Well that might be true with what she cooks for
him. Which isn't a lot. And I was there for breakfast where he ate some
cereal and fruit and she did reminded him of how many he could have. But
she certainly didn't stop him when he ordered that fruit and nut waffle with
the sugar free syrup. Or when he sits at his computer and eats all the
carby things. Or when he has a piece of every kind of birthday cake she
serves and ice cream too!

BTW for my husband's birthday only three people ate cake. My brother, his
wife and my husband. Everyone but me did eat ice cream though.

She did say she has noticed that his BG has come down a lot since he has
been in the hospital. But is it the reduced carbs? Or the extra insulin
they are giving him? Or maybe both.

I personally think she needs to realize that it's not just him that needs to
watch the carbs but pretty much all of us in the family. My nephew and his
girlfriend being the exception. But I don't think they eat all that well.
They eat only one meal a day and she won't eat vegetables.

net carbs? RichD General Cooking 43 21-01-2016 08:26 PM
Eat those Carbs! The ADA says you should!! Janet Diabetic 53 07-11-2011 07:09 PM
Carbs percy Diabetic 0 20-07-2008 01:32 AM
net carbs? Rob and Jami Diabetic 2 04-10-2004 09:02 PM
Good Carbs, Bad Carbs, And Cancer Steve Vegan 0 12-08-2004 05:31 PM