Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Good food at Mexican restaurants!

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
>> low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places, but
>> those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias
>> are also serving salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food when
>> we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had salads and although I
>> love Mexican food, there were just too many carbs in the food for me.
>>
>> Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten before.
>> Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken
>> breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on
>> top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The only
>> problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily
>> fed a family of four.
>> We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
>> leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
>> didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
>> they would be raw.
>> So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
>> might want to check their menus again!

> Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when one
> opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible to get
> all of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead. Very tasty.
>
> FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a "low
> carb" burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and
> guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs. It's my go-to
> alternative when eating at highway rest stops.

There is a Chipotle near my parent's house but I never tried it because my
dad said the food was tasteless.

I have not heard of Fresh City but would not eat a low carb burrito because
most likely the tortilla has soy in it. Plus I don't trust McDonalds at
all.