Old 30-08-2011, 04:03 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic
Janet Janet is offline

Default Good food at Mexican restaurants!

Julie Bove wrote:
We have noticed that more and more Mexican restaurants are serving
low carb salads. Granted these are the more Americanized places, but
those are the sort we have in this area. But some of the taquerias
are also serving salads. That was my big beef with Mexican food when
we lived in CA. None of the restaurants had salads and although I
love Mexican food, there were just too many carbs in the food for me.

Tonight we tried a place in Woodinville where we had not eaten before.
Plaza Garcia. Angela had a Carlos Salad which had a nice chicken
breast, cheese, tomatoes and tons of sautéed mushrooms and onions on
top. Instead of dressing she had sour cream and guacamole. The only
problem was that the thing was HUGE! I think it could have easily
fed a family of four.
We didn't get a box because we didn't think it would be a good
leftover given the cooked veggies on the salad. Oddly the menu
didn't say that the mushrooms and onions were cooked so I assumed
they would be raw.
So if you've been avoiding Mexican places because of the carbs, you
might want to check their menus again!

Same thing is true of Chipotle Grill. I was curious about it, so when one
opened in our area I eventually had lunch there. It was possible to get all
of the burrito fillings on a bed of nice lettuce, instead. Very tasty.

FYI, the new entity associated with McDonald's, Fresh City, has a "low carb"
burrito option. It contains chicken, black beans, salsa, cheese, and
guacamole, on a low carb wrap. It's 20-something carbs. It's my go-to
alternative when eating at highway rest stops.