Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Ping: Malcom

> In >, Tiger >
> wrote:
>
>> On 8/24/2011 10:06 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> snippety
>>> Thank you for your feedback. I am always interested in the opinions of
>>> others
>>> and impressed with the gentile matter of your reply.

>> I have to ask............ you keep referring to the "gentile" manner of
>> how people speak.
>>
>> Not being Jewish, but being the "token gentile" at the religious
>> celebrations, I'm often GENTLE in my approach (cause i love Mozza Soup
>> and get it for lighting the candles and such)...... i just want to
>> clarify......... is this a religious thing? or is it an approach to
>> others that you are referring to
>>
>> thanks Malcolm
>>
>> kate

> That's the trouble with having a good vocabulary that you don't use. I meant
> genteel, but that looked too odd to me. OTOH, I often find that "gentiles" put
> that "love your neighbor" thing last on their list of personality qualities to
> admire
>
> and beware of being the "token gentile"...you will be accused of being the
> shabbath goy and will never be taken seriously

oh ya, i'm goy (apparently)

my most embarassing moment that i can think of.......... i asked a bunch
of friends over for dinner

all from varying religions, nationalities, etc, ALL HUMAN BEINGS!!!!

i was serving pork roast

oh my, dang......... the Jewish contingent weren't impressed and the
Arabic contingents were also NOT impressed

as a compromise, we went out for chinese

and i watched them eat sweet & sour pork button ribs, shrimp
and.......... you know, everything i had just been told wasn't Kosher!

lol

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/25/2011 1:36 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>> In >, Tiger >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> On 8/24/2011 10:06 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
>>> snippety
>>>
>>> I have to ask............ you keep referring to the "gentile" manner of
>>> how people speak.
>>>
>>> Not being Jewish, but being the "token gentile" at the religious
>>> celebrations, I'm often GENTLE in my approach (cause i love Mozza Soup
>>> and get it for lighting the candles and such)...... i just want to
>>> clarify......... is this a religious thing? or is it an approach to
>>> others that you are referring to
>>>
>>> thanks Malcolm
>>>
>>> kate

>> That's the trouble with having a good vocabulary that you don't use. I
>> meant
>> genteel, but that looked too odd to me. OTOH, I often find that
>> "gentiles" put
>> that "love your neighbor" thing last on their list of personality
>> qualities to
>> admire
>>
>> and beware of being the "token gentile"...you will be accused of being
>> the
>> shabbath goy and will never be taken seriously

> oh ya, i'm goy (apparently)
>
> my most embarassing moment that i can think of.......... i asked a bunch
> of friends over for dinner
>
> all from varying religions, nationalities, etc, ALL HUMAN BEINGS!!!!
>
> i was serving pork roast
>
> oh my, dang......... the Jewish contingent weren't impressed and the
> Arabic contingents were also NOT impressed
>
> as a compromise, we went out for chinese
>
> and i watched them eat sweet & sour pork button ribs, shrimp and..........
> you know, everything i had just been told wasn't Kosher!
>
> lol

I have a Jewish friend and although he keeps Kosher at home, he does not
when he goes out to eat. I asked him why and he said it was harder to do
that when he went out so he just ate whatever he wanted.

To me that just doesn't make sense. I do not know all of the ins and outs
of a Kosher diet but I do know some things. We had Jewish neighbors in CA
and the wife told me where to buy the food for Angela's birthday party
because the meat was Kosher. So I bought it there and made sure to keep it
separate from the dairy. I even served it on brand new platters.

I do think (but I could be wrong) that a restaurant is only Kosher if it is
certified to be as such. But I still don't understand why someone who
normally keeps Kosher would think it was okay to eat a cheeseburger when
away from home.

But then I am not a religious person and perhaps that has something to do
with it. I just don't understand religion. And I don't want to.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
: ...
: > On 8/25/2011 1:36 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
: >> In >, Tiger >
: >> wrote:
: >>
: >>> On 8/24/2011 10:06 PM, Malcom "Mal" Reynolds wrote:
: >>> snippety
: >>>> Thank you for your feedback. I am always interested in the opinions of
: >>>> others
: >>>> and impressed with the gentile matter of your reply.
: >>>
[...]
: >
: > oh ya, i'm goy (apparently)
: >
[...]

Jews, like others come in a great variety of observanes . just as some
shristians go to church every wee, while some never do dxept to be married
or buried, some observe restrictions for Lent, while others don't even
know it exists, some Jews observe Kashrut(being kosher) in and out of the
house, others observe to a lesser degree-say, eat in a non-kosher
restaurant but no milk and meat and no pork or shellfish, some eat out
only non-meat, some observe nothing and some only watch what they eat at
passove, when the restricions are much stricter, as no leaven may be
eaten. In that sense,(a great variety of adherence to the
strictestobservances of the religion) Jews are no different than anybody
else. In addition, just as there are differing kind of christians (like
Catholics, Lutherans, , Evangelicals, etc. there are differing grouping of
jews, Reform, Conservaive and Orthodox, who view the observances quite
differently.

osher restaurants do require supervision to ensure that all the rules are
followed so observant Jews can feel comfortably safe eating there.

Wendy

Ping: Cea sf[_9_] General Cooking 2 17-08-2014 04:22 AM
ping sf Ophelia[_9_] General Cooking 72 28-01-2013 12:06 AM
PING: sf Andy General Cooking 0 08-07-2006 11:23 PM
Ping:THC Ol' Hippie Barbecue 16 12-12-2004 12:22 PM
Ping! elaine General Cooking 16 30-09-2004 12:20 AM