elaine

Default Ping!

Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and wonder
what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
specific person.

.......... I'm sure there are other abbreviations, and I can guess at some of
them - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

Thanks to everyone that makes this newsgroup interesting, informative and
controversial - it's the only one I visit on a regular basis.

Elaine

notbob

On 2004-09-27, elaine > wrote:

> - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

Yes. Google for 'usenet acronyms' or 'internet acronyms'.

nb
notbob

On 2004-09-27, elaine > wrote:

> - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

Yes. Google for 'usenet acronyms' or 'internet acronyms'.

nb
Nancy Howells

In article <41587757$1_2@aeinews.>, "elaine" > wrote:

> Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and
> wonder
> what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
> specific person.
>
> ......... I'm sure there are other abbreviations, and I can guess at some
> of
> them - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.
>
> Thanks to everyone that makes this newsgroup interesting, informative and
> controversial - it's the only one I visit on a regular basis.
>
> Elaine

I'm not sure that this is totally correct, but there used to be (and may
be still) a computer network protocol that "pinged" other machines, and
the other machines "ponged" back in response. That's the origin of the
"ping," usually to see if someone is still there, if they've been silent
for awhile.

There are definitely other abbreviations - and I'm sure there's a list
somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where. You might do a search for FAQ
(frequently-asked questions) Online Chat or something, and see if that
dredges anything up.

Here are some to start you off, though:
fwiw = for what it's worth
lol = laugh out loud
imho = in my humble opinion
imnsho = in my not so humble opinion
fotflmao = falling on the floor laughing my assets off (you know what to
replace there)
ymmv = your mileage may vary

and so on.

--
Nancy Howells (don't forget to switch it, and replace the to send mail).
Steve Calvin

Nancy Howells wrote:

> In article <41587757$1_2@aeinews.>, "elaine" > wrote:
>

>>Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and
>>wonder
>>what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
>>specific person.
>>
>>......... I'm sure there are other abbreviations, and I can guess at some
>>of
>>them - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.
>>
>>Thanks to everyone that makes this newsgroup interesting, informative and
>>controversial - it's the only one I visit on a regular basis.
>>
>>Elaine
>>

> I'm not sure that this is totally correct, but there used to be (and may
> be still) a computer network protocol that "pinged" other machines, and
> the other machines "ponged" back in response. That's the origin of the
> "ping," usually to see if someone is still there, if they've been silent
> for awhile.
>
> There are definitely other abbreviations - and I'm sure there's a list
> somewhere, but I couldn't tell you where. You might do a search for FAQ
> (frequently-asked questions) Online Chat or something, and see if that
> dredges anything up.
>
> Here are some to start you off, though:
> fwiw = for what it's worth
> lol = laugh out loud
> imho = in my humble opinion
> imnsho = in my not so humble opinion
> fotflmao = falling on the floor laughing my assets off (you know what to
> replace there)
> ymmv = your mileage may vary
>
> and so on.

Here are a couple of sites that may help ya:
http://www.jonstorm.com/glossary/glossmr.htm
http://www.science.uva.nl/~mes/jargon/

--
Steve

Why don't they make mouse flavored cat food?

PENMART01

"elaine" > wrote:

>Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and
>wonder what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
>specific person.

Actually "ping" is an imitative word, came about due to the sound emited from a
riccocheting bullet; later came into use for drawing attention, not necessarily
teh attention of a specific person, could be a specific group, or people in
general, ie. ping everyone. "Ping" of course is the name of a river in Asia,
and also that of a Chinese duck.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...5715/sr=ka-1/r
ef=pd_ka_1/104-7111396-8228725

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
PENMART01

"elaine" > wrote:

>Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and
>wonder what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
>specific person.

Actually "ping" is an imitative word, came about due to the sound emited from a
riccocheting bullet; later came into use for drawing attention, not necessarily
teh attention of a specific person, could be a specific group, or people in
general, ie. ping everyone. "Ping" of course is the name of a river in Asia,
and also that of a Chinese duck.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...5715/sr=ka-1/r
ef=pd_ka_1/104-7111396-8228725

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
Melba's Jammin'

In article <8oe6d.64296$wV.6969@attbi_s54>, notbob >
wrote:

> On 2004-09-27, elaine > wrote:
>
> > - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

> Yes. Google for 'usenet acronyms' or 'internet acronyms'.
>
> nb

or "internet shorthand".
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."

Melba's Jammin'

wrote:

> On 2004-09-27, elaine > wrote:
>
> > - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

> Yes. Google for 'usenet acronyms' or 'internet acronyms'.
>
> nb

or "internet shorthand".
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 9-22-04; Fairs Fare tab.
"Peace will come when the power of love overcomes the love of power."
-Jimi Hendrix, and Lt. Joe Corcoran, Retired; St. Paul PD, Homicide Divn.

PENMART01

>notbob wrote:
>
>>elaine wrote:
>>
>> > - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.

>> Yes. Google for 'usenet acronyms' or 'internet acronyms'.

Yeah, but... "Ping" is not an acronym.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

Faux_Pseudo

_.-In rec.food.cooking, elaine wrote the following -._
> Being relatively new to news groups, I would see this Ping thing and wonder
> what it meant. Now I know (I think). -- it's a question directed at a
> specific person.

The orgin of ping:
http://ftp.arl.mil/~mike/ping.html

If you see a word/char_string you don't know just google for it.
The two best ways: "jargon $SOME_STRING" or "define: $SOME_STRING"

--
.-')) http://asciipr0n.com/fp ('-. | It's a damn poor mind that
' ..- .:" ) ( ":. -.. ' | can only think of one way to
notbob

On 2004-09-28, PENMART01 > wrote:

> Actually "ping" is an imitative word, came about due to the sound emited from a
> riccocheting bullet; later came into use for drawing attention, not necessarily
> teh attention of a specific person, could be a specific group, or people in
> general, ie. ping everyone. "Ping" of course is the name of a river in Asia,
> and also that of a Chinese duck.

Ping is often attributed to the acronym Packet INternet Groper, even if
incorrectly. The program's author insists he really "...named it after the
sound that a sonar makes". Who am I to argue? But, as shooter of many many
years, I can assure you a riccocheting bullet does not ping. Finally, Ping
is not the name of a Chinese duck, it's the name of the main character in a
children's book about a duck in China.

If you're going to correct me, at least pull your head out and get it right.

nb
PENMART01

>Finally, Ping
>is not the name of a Chinese duck, it's the name of the main character in a
>children's book about a duck in China.
>
>If you're going to correct me, at least pull your head out and get it right.
>
>nb

Um, I posted the link to the book at amazon.com DUH!

And this exact topic came up before, a number of years ago, and my response was
precisely the same, including about the Chinese duck. And the fact that it's a
children's book in no way negates the fact that it's a Chinese duck... are you
some kind of duckin' racist?

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````
notbob

On 2004-09-29, PENMART01 > wrote:

> children's book in no way negates the fact that it's a Chinese duck... are you
> some kind of duckin' racist?

You have detailed birth information on this duck? You know for a fact he's
not an immigrant? Migration stopover? Perhaps he was bought from wandering
gypsy ducks. Besides, the way you wrote it, it sounds like there's a Ping
duck. "I buy one piping Peking Ping duck, prease".

Dolt.

nb
WardNA

>Actually "ping" is an imitative word, came about due to the sound emited from
>riccocheting bullet

More obviously, it alludes to the chime typically sounded before paging someone
on a PA system.

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, (PENMART01) said:

> "Ping" of course is the name of a river in Asia,
> and also that of a Chinese duck.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/AS...5715/sr=ka-1/r
> ef=pd_ka_1/104-7111396-8228725

I have that book! Someone gave it to my sister back in the mid 1960's...

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"I rule you!" - Travis of the Cosmos, ATHF
limey

> In article <41587757$1_2@aeinews.>, "elaine" > wrote:
>
> > ......... I'm sure there are other abbreviations, and I can guess at

some
> > of
> > them - but are they listed anywhere for us new at this.
> >
> > Thanks to everyone that makes this newsgroup interesting, informative

and
> > controversial - it's the only one I visit on a regular basis.
> >
> > Elaine

This is the acronym dictionary which I use when I'm stumped:

http://www.acronymdictionary.co.uk/acronymae.html#A

Dora

Ping sf Janet B General Cooking 2 16-03-2015 08:05 PM
Ping: Ya BUM kilikini General Cooking 4 20-07-2007 08:33 PM
Ping sf:Where are you? Christine Dabney General Cooking 8 07-02-2007 03:53 AM
PING: ANYONE! MoM General Cooking 18 03-12-2005 03:41 PM