Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Sticker shock at the store again!

I swear the prices went up from last week! When is this going to end?

We bought 5 bags of groceries today. Okay we did buy some magazines. I buy
those every week. And I did screw up and pay for 4, 12 packs of Lime Diet
Coke. Then I got to the van and realized I had only picked up 3. If it
wasn't such a huge store and I wasn't so exhausted and in need of dinner, I
would have gone back to get another one. I guess I had intended to get 4
but because our cart was so loaded with veggies, another one wouldn't fit.
So I wasted about $3 there. And messed up their inventory. Ha! Also
bought some containers for the veggies. I do have some containers here but
I think they are either round or two small. So I probably spent $12 for
those.

I am sure I have enough veggies for a week. Maybe enough carrots for two
weeks. Angela has been going through carrots and celery like mad! Also two
pears and a large bag of small, red delicious apples. I know these things
are not low carb but they are small. I told her she could have them with
her meal or for snacks.

The only meat I bought were two small chubs of ground beef, a package of
chicken tenders (raw, unbreaded), and a smoked sausage. I did buy 4 kinds
of cheese. They didn't have white chicken chili or even the seasoning mix
that I saw advertised when looking for recipes. They did have some
seasoning for chicken tacos. Which is what I plan to do with the chicken
tenders. They only had one kind of meat only chili that didn't have soy
protein in it. I bought a can for Angela to try and this time she didn't
object. I did buy some cat treats and a few other things.

The total? $190! Gah! There wasn't even anything grass fed or organic
which is how I would prefer to eat. But I just can't afford it any more.

I did feel very sorry for this one woman. She had a very large amount of
large sweet potatoes in her cart. She also had 2 gallons of milk and 2 huge
bags of cheap cereal. The kind that kids would eat. She seemed to go up
and down every aisle, looking at things sadly and then putting them back.
I got the feeling that she wanted to buy other things but didn't have the
money for them.

Got home and prepped all the veggies. Then made dinner. We had scrap
salad. I took out every remaining veggie that was in the fridge and turned
it into a salad. There was a bag of salad that expired today. It had gone
a bit mushy. Little bit of celery and bell peppers. A few black olives. A
few kidney beans. Tomato on mine. Angela got a few cucumber slices from
the cucumber we just bought. She had the leftover chicken from last night
and about three bites of chicken flavored rice. I had the same amount of
rice and some cheese on my salad for protein because there was no more
chicken. Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for them
before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if they
didn't get eaten.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
> them before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad
> if they didn't get eaten.

When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
rise for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
mandarin, the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>
> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for them
>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if they
>> didn't get eaten.

> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg rise
> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a mandarin,
> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit. It's
sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them sliced.
If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it like
that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She couldn't
figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it. But I
did to get them out of the house.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
>>> them before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go
>>> bad if they didn't get eaten.

>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
>> rise for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>> mandarin, the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
> It's sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy
> them sliced. If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and
> she can eat it like that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it
> cut in chunks. She couldn't figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I
> really didn't want to do it. But I did to get them out of the house.

I halve a kiwi and squeeze the half up into my mouth. My 20 yr old used
to take them to school and use a Tupperware Kiwi cutter with built in
spoon Lol, there's that Tupperware again:
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tupperwar...-/220780321917
He eventually lost that and it is from him that I learned the suck out
of the skin trick

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>>
>>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
>>> rise for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>>> mandarin, the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

>> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>> It's sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>> sliced. If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can
>> eat it like that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in
>> chunks. She couldn't figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really
>> didn't want to do it. But I did to get them out of the house.

> I halve a kiwi and squeeze the half up into my mouth. My 20 yr old used to
> take them to school and use a Tupperware Kiwi cutter with built in spoon
> Lol, there's that Tupperware again:
> http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Tupperwar...-/220780321917
> He eventually lost that and it is from him that I learned the suck out of
> the skin trick

Jeez they have everything! When I was a kid we had two piece of Tupperware
that I liked. One was a sugar bowl. The one end had a large flap on it so
you could stick your spoon in it. The other end had a flap that lifted up
and underneath was a hole so you could pour the sugar.

My mom used to give me Cheerios for breakfast. I hated milk on the cereal
but she insisted I have it. I also hated Cheerios. I would put just a
splash of milk in the bottom of the bowl and hope I never ate down to it.
Then I would pour sugar over the cereal until she stopped me. I would then
pick at the cereal, not eating much of it until she told me I had to leave
for school. At the bottom of the bowl was a sugary milk mess that was kind
of like icing or frosting. Whose idea was it to put sugar on cereal anyway?
I only did it because my mom told me to do it. Angela has never eaten sugar
on her cereal with the exception of oatmeal and only because they do it that
way in restaurants. At home when she had it (and it wasn't often) there was
no sugar.

The other piece was a powdered sugar sifter. I only used that for French
Toast. I would put a miniscule amount of syrup on my French Toast and then
so much powdered sugar that I could mix it up and make frosting out of it.
I didn't like to eat it though. I guess I more liked to play with those
foods. They were never favorite foods.

The only other piece of Tupperware I remember having in the house was one
that I hated. It was supposed to be a cake server. But since we never took
cake anywhere, I don't think it was every used for that. What it was used
for was popcorn. My mom would pop corn, fill it up and take it upside down
so that the flat part where you were supposed to put the cake became a lid.
She would take this to the movies along with four cans of Shasta diet soda.
This to me was mortifying. I wanted the popcorn from the theater and a Coke
product!

For years we took stuff to the theater like that. Then one day my dad lost
control of his Shasta diet Black Cherry Cola (they don't make that flavor
any more) and it rolled down the cement floor, banging people in the feet
and causing much disturbance. Not long after that they stopped allowing
people to bring in their own food and drink.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> For years we took stuff to the theater like that. Then one day my dad lost
> control of his Shasta diet Black Cherry Cola (they don't make that flavor
> any more)

Of course they still make it. I get it at FoodSaver and 99cent store
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
: ...
: >
: >
: > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
: > ...
: >
[...]

Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
likes.

Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> For years we took stuff to the theater like that. Then one day my dad
>> lost
>> control of his Shasta diet Black Cherry Cola (they don't make that flavor
>> any more)

> Of course they still make it. I get it at FoodSaver and 99cent store

Then it must be very old because it's not listed on their website. Only the
regular comes in that flavor.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"W. Baker" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >
> : > Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
> : >> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
> them
> : >> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if
> they
> : >> didn't get eaten.
> : >
> : > When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
> rise
> : > for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
> mandarin,
> : > the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>
> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
> It's
> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
> sliced.
> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
> like
> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
> couldn't
> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
> But I
> : did to get them out of the house.
>
> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
> likes.
>
> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do that.
It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that have to be
put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a problem too.
But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much rather buy them
sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 21/08/2011 7:28 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
> "W. > wrote in message
>> Julie > wrote:
>>
>> : > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> :>
>> :>
>> :> "Julie > wrote in message
>> :> ...
>> :>
>> :> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>> :>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
>> them
>> :>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if
>> they
>> :>> didn't get eaten.
>> :>
>> :> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
>> rise
>> :> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>> mandarin,
>> :> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>>
>> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>> It's
>> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>> sliced.
>> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>> like
>> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>> couldn't
>> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
>> But I
>> : did to get them out of the house.
>>
>> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
>> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
>> likes.
>>
>> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do that.
> It gets all sticky.

How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a boiled
egg in an eggcup?

And then there are the cores and seeds that have to be
> put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a problem too.
> But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much rather buy them
> sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"W. Baker" > wrote:

> Julie Bove > wrote:
>
> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
> : ...
> : >
> : >
> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> : > ...
> : >
> : > Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
> : >> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for them
> : >> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if
> : >> they
> : >> didn't get eaten.
> : >
> : > When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
> : > rise
> : > for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
> : > mandarin,
> : > the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>
> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit. It's
> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them sliced.
> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it like
> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
> : couldn't
> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it. But I
> : did to get them out of the house.
>
> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
> likes.
>
> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.
>
> Wendy

I just cut them in half and eat them with a spoon out of the peel.

PP
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : >
>> : >
>> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : > ...
>> : >
>> : > Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>> : >> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked
>> for them
>> : >> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go
>> bad if they
>> : >> didn't get eaten.
>> : >
>> : > When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a
>> catastrophic bg rise
>> : > for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>> mandarin,
>> : > the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>>
>> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with
>> fruit. It's
>> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>> sliced.
>> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat
>> it like
>> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>> couldn't
>> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do
>> it. But I
>> : did to get them out of the house.
>>
>> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay
>> fresh
>> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as
>> she
>> likes.
>>
>> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
> that. It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that
> have to be put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is
> a problem too. But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much
> rather buy them sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

Have you ever owned one of these?
http://www.getprice.com.au/Cuisena-A...--41990530.htm
Very simple to push down onto an apple and it cores it as well. Then
simply run the slicer under cold water and shake. I find apple sliced
her to be a disgusting price, could buy 3-4 apples for the same price as
a few slices.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"bugalugs" > wrote in message
> On 21/08/2011 7:28 a.m., Julie Bove wrote:
>> "W. > wrote in message
>>> Julie > wrote:
>>>
>>> : > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> :>
>>> :>
>>> :> "Julie > wrote in message
>>> :> ...
>>> :>
>>> :> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>> :>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
>>> them
>>> :>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad
>>> if
>>> they
>>> :>> didn't get eaten.
>>> :>
>>> :> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic
>>> bg
>>> rise
>>> :> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>>> mandarin,
>>> :> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>>>
>>> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>>> It's
>>> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>>> sliced.
>>> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>>> like
>>> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>>> couldn't
>>> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
>>> But I
>>> : did to get them out of the house.
>>>
>>> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
>>> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
>>> likes.
>>>
>>> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

>> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
>> that.
>> It gets all sticky.

> How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a boiled
> egg in an eggcup?

I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>
>> "W. Baker" > wrote in message
>>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>>
>>> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>>> : ...
>>> : >
>>> : >
>>> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>>> : > ...
>>> : >
>>> : > Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>> : >> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
>>> them
>>> : >> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad
>>> if they
>>> : >> didn't get eaten.
>>> : >
>>> : > When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic
>>> bg rise
>>> : > for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>>> mandarin,
>>> : > the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>>>
>>> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>>> It's
>>> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>>> sliced.
>>> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>>> like
>>> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>>> couldn't
>>> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
>>> But I
>>> : did to get them out of the house.
>>>
>>> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
>>> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
>>> likes.
>>>
>>> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.

>> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
>> that. It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that
>> have to be put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a
>> problem too. But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much
>> rather buy them sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

> Have you ever owned one of these?
> http://www.getprice.com.au/Cuisena-A...--41990530.htm
> Very simple to push down onto an apple and it cores it as well. Then
> simply run the slicer under cold water and shake. I find apple sliced her
> to be a disgusting price, could buy 3-4 apples for the same price as a few
> slices.

We have two. Hate them. Your hands get all sticky. They don't always push
down right. And they make really thick slices. For about $3.00 I can get a
HUGE bag of apple slices at Winco. I don't know how much the cases are at
Costo but I really like them because they have individual bags. If you cut
the apple yourself you then have to treat it with something so it doesn't go
brown. And that doesn't always work. I just hate messing with fruit of any
kind. Would much rather have them done up already.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "W. Baker" > wrote:
>
>> Julie Bove > wrote:
>>
>> : "Ozgirl" > wrote in message
>> : ...
>> : >
>> : >
>> : > "Julie Bove" > wrote in message
>> : > ...
>> : >
>> : > Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>> : >> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for
>> them
>> : >> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if
>> : >> they
>> : >> didn't get eaten.
>> : >
>> : > When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
>> : > rise
>> : > for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>> : > mandarin,
>> : > the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.
>>
>> : Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>> It's
>> : sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>> sliced.
>> : If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>> like
>> : that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>> : couldn't
>> : figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it.
>> But I
>> : did to get them out of the house.
>>
>> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
>> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
>> likes.
>>
>> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.
>>
>> Wendy

> I just cut them in half and eat them with a spoon out of the peel.

Maybe that's what my husband does. He never peels them. He used to eat a
lot of them but then he quit eating them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > >
> > wrote:
> >
> >> For years we took stuff to the theater like that. Then one day my dad
> >> lost
> >> control of his Shasta diet Black Cherry Cola (they don't make that flavor
> >> any more)

> > Of course they still make it. I get it at FoodSaver and 99cent store

> Then it must be very old because it's not listed on their website. Only the
> regular comes in that flavor.

Sorry, not only is it not old, but it has a new look on the label. The use by
date of the ones in my fridge are 051012.

I just took a look at their site, and the diet black cherry is the first flavor
shown in the upper right hand under "find your favorite flavors"

http://www.shastapop.com/flavors/
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "W. Baker" > wrote:
> >
> >> Julie Bove > wrote:

> >> Can't she slice her own apples? They are cheaper whole and stay fresh
> >> longer, unsliced and she can make the slices just a thik or thin as she
> >> likes.

Notice that she has entirely ignored this suggestion...as she does for anything
useful that would require DD to actually do something for herself

> >> Kiwi-use a vegetable peeler and show her how.
> >>
> >> Wendy

> > I just cut them in half and eat them with a spoon out of the peel.

> Maybe that's what my husband does. He never peels them. He used to eat a
> lot of them but then he quit eating them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do that.
> It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that have to be
> put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a problem too.
> But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much rather buy them
> sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes and
tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.

Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to pay over
three times the price for a food that has additional preservation techniques.
Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they are having on DD
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> > How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a boiled
> > egg in an eggcup?

> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.

and apparently can't imagine such a thing
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > Of course they still make it. I get it at FoodSaver and 99cent store

>> Then it must be very old because it's not listed on their website. Only
>> the
>> regular comes in that flavor.

> Sorry, not only is it not old, but it has a new look on the label. The use
> by
> date of the ones in my fridge are 051012.
>
> I just took a look at their site, and the diet black cherry is the first
> flavor
> shown in the upper right hand under "find your favorite flavors"
>
> http://www.shastapop.com/flavors/

I said Diet Black Cherry COLA! Not Black Cherry. But I guess we can't all
have good reading comprehension.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message

> Notice that she has entirely ignored this suggestion...as she does for
> anything
> useful that would require DD to actually do something for herself

Bull pucky. I didn't ignore it at all. We have two apple slicers. Of
course she can slice her own apples. We have two apple and pear trees. We
used to can the fruit and she helped me with the canning. I'd just much
rather buy them presliced. No cores to deal with. And as opposed to what
other have said they are not more expensive to get them that way. Very
cheap at Target, Winco and Costco. And today I got two coupons for the
Chiquita brand which they sell at Safeway and maybe some other stores.

There is no waste at all with the slices. One can take as many or as few as
they want. They are very portable and unlike an apple you slice at home,
they are already treated with something to prevent browning.

Also if there are some left over and they are about to go bad, all I have to
do is bake them. They'll still get eaten.

Some people like to cut up apples. My mom is one of those people. She
would never dream of buying them pre-cut. I am not one of those people.
They don't cost more and in many cases they actually cost less. So why not
buy them that way?

The only reason I bought the baby Red Delicous apples was that I had hoped
she might try something different. She did eat those when she was young but
the one neighbor whose house she went to in CA made a big deal about kids
eating whole apples. She didn't think it was a good idea for some reason
and insisted on having the apples cut up. So from then on Angela would ask
for an apple "cutted" Our neighbor was from Thailand and didn't have a
particularly good command of the English language.

In those days I don't think you could even buy apples cut up. But these
days they are very common. At least here.

You buy and eat your apples the way you want to and we'll do the same. One
thing you didn't see me bitching about was the priced of sliced apples.
Because where I buy them they are cheap! Even the organic ones at Costco.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>

>> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
>> that.
>> It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that have to
>> be
>> put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a problem
>> too.
>> But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much rather buy them
>> sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

> Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes and
> tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.

We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner. Maybe you do. But we don't.
And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing
fixed so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples
and no one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I
guess that is pretty damned pathetic.

> Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to pay
> over
> three times the price for a food that has additional preservation
> techniques.
> Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they are having on DD

Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in industrial
sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three
whole apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there
more than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in
that bag. Not expensive at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> > How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a
>> > boiled
>> > egg in an eggcup?

>> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.

> and apparently can't imagine such a thing

No I can't. Why in the hell would you put it in a cup? We just peel them
and eat them. Or we did. I don't any more since I am allergic to eggs.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
<snip>

>>> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.

>> and apparently can't imagine such a thing

> No I can't. Why in the hell would you put it in a cup? We just peel
> them and eat them. Or we did. I don't any more since I am allergic
> to eggs.

Eggcups are used for softboiled eggs. My grandmother used to cook them for
me when I was a kid, and served them with toast "soldiers" to dip in the
yolk.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
> <snip>

>>> and apparently can't imagine such a thing

>> No I can't. Why in the hell would you put it in a cup? We just peel
>> them and eat them. Or we did. I don't any more since I am allergic
>> to eggs.

> Eggcups are used for softboiled eggs. My grandmother used to cook them for
> me when I was a kid, and served them with toast "soldiers" to dip in the
> yolk.

I have never eaten a soft boiled egg nor would I. Maybe they are common
elsewhere? I don't think they are common here. At least I've never heard
of anyone eating them.

My brother used to eat fried eggs with runny yolks. He would dip his toast
in them. It would gag me to watch. I never really liked eggs but if I had
to eat them they would have to be fried to a crisp or hard cooked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Janet" > wrote in message
> > Julie Bove wrote:
> > <snip>

> >> No I can't. Why in the hell would you put it in a cup? We just peel
> >> them and eat them. Or we did. I don't any more since I am allergic
> >> to eggs.

> > Eggcups are used for softboiled eggs. My grandmother used to cook them for
> > me when I was a kid, and served them with toast "soldiers" to dip in the
> > yolk.

> I have never eaten a soft boiled egg nor would I. Maybe they are common
> elsewhere? I don't think they are common here. At least I've never heard
> of anyone eating them.

And yet again you ignore the answer

> My brother used to eat fried eggs with runny yolks. He would dip his toast
> in them. It would gag me to watch. I never really liked eggs but if I had
> to eat them they would have to be fried to a crisp or hard cooked.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:
> >

> >> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
> >> that. It gets all sticky. And then there are the cores and seeds that
> >> have to be put in the green bin. Of course with a whole apple this is a
> >> problem too. But no stickiness to get all over things. I would much
> >> rather buy them sliced. They are very cheap at Costco and Winco.

> > Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes and
> > tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.
> >

> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was pre-sliced?

Maybe you do. But we don't.
> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing fixed
> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and no
> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I guess
> that is pretty damned pathetic.
>
> > Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to pay
> > over three times the price for a food that has additional preservation
> > techniques. Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they are
> > having on DD

> Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
> believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in industrial
> sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three whole
> apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there more
> than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in that
> bag. Not expensive at all.

At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which works
out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples, which
is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly doubtful
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> > In article >, "Julie Bove"
> > > wrote:

> > Notice that she has entirely ignored this suggestion...as she does for
> > anything useful that would require DD to actually do something for herself

> Bull pucky. I didn't ignore it at all. We have two apple slicers.

why?

> Of course she can slice her own apples.

I should think so, but then again you make her out to be an invalid

We have two apple and pear trees. We
> used to can the fruit and she helped me with the canning. I'd just much
> rather buy them presliced. No cores to deal with.

wow, those cores must be a real hardship

> And as opposed to what
> other have said they are not more expensive to get them that way. Very cheap
> at Target, Winco and Costco.

to quote you: "bull pucky"

And today I got two coupons for the Chiquita
> brand which they sell at Safeway and maybe some other stores.
>
> There is no waste at all with the slices. One can take as many or as few as
> they want. They are very portable and unlike an apple you slice at home,
> they are already treated with something to prevent browning.

Just another additive to make your life better thru chemicals?

> You buy and eat your apples the way you want to and we'll do the same. One
> thing you didn't see me bitching about was the priced of sliced apples.
> Because where I buy them they are cheap! Even the organic ones at Costco.

bull pucky
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > Yet another moan on how terrible life is. I wonder if you use dishes
>> > and
>> > tableware, after all they get dirty, sticky and otherwise messy.
>> >

>> We don't tend to eat sticky foods for dinner.

> How is an apple that you slice less sticky than an apple that was
> pre-sliced?
>

> Maybe you do. But we don't.
>> And yes, I do have a dishwasher and *gasp* I have even had the plumbing
>> fixed
>> so I can use it again! I just freaking don't like cutting up apples and
>> no
>> one in my house likes to either. If you've got a problem with that I
>> guess
>> that is pretty damned pathetic.
>>
>> > Is it no wonder that you have financial problems when your willing to
>> > pay
>> > over three times the price for a food that has additional preservation
>> > techniques. Makes me wonder if you've ever considered the effect they
>> > are
>> > having on DD

>> Liar! I don't happen to have a bag of the apples from Winco now but I
>> believe the cost was $3.33 for sliced apples. It's a huge as in
>> industrial
>> sized bag. Lasts us a good two weeks usually. You can buy about three
>> whole
>> apples here for that price. I guarantee you that not only are there more
>> than three apples in that bag there are probably at least 12 apples in
>> that
>> bag. Not expensive at all.

> At costco, the pre-sliced apples are 6 8oz packages for about 7.95 which
> works
> out to about 2.65 per pound which is at least 2.5 times the cost of whole
> apples. If you are getting bags that contain the equivalent of 12 apples,
> which
> is highly doubtful, that's about 50cents per pound which is highly
> doubtful

There are more than 6 packs of apples in the Costco package. And apparently
you don't shop at Winco. Oh and I see you ignored where I proved you wrong
about the Shasta.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> >> Then it must be very old because it's not listed on their website. Only
> >> the regular comes in that flavor.

> > Sorry, not only is it not old, but it has a new look on the label. The use
> > by date of the ones in my fridge are 051012.
> >
> > I just took a look at their site, and the diet black cherry is the first
> > flavor shown in the upper right hand under "find your favorite flavors"
> >
> > http://www.shastapop.com/flavors/

> I said Diet Black Cherry COLA! Not Black Cherry. But I guess we can't all
> have good reading comprehension.

wow, you actually caught me making a mistake. Cudos!

Of course even someone as full of themselves as you are realizes that you could
actually mix diet black cherry and diet cola to make the same drink. Don't you?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
> In article >, "Julie Bove"
> >
> wrote:
>
>> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message
>> > In article >, "Julie Bove"

>> > Notice that she has entirely ignored this suggestion...as she does for
>> > anything useful that would require DD to actually do something for
>> > herself

>> Bull pucky. I didn't ignore it at all. We have two apple slicers.

> why?
>
>> Of course she can slice her own apples.

> I should think so, but then again you make her out to be an invalid
>

> We have two apple and pear trees. We
>> used to can the fruit and she helped me with the canning. I'd just much
>> rather buy them presliced. No cores to deal with.

> wow, those cores must be a real hardship
>
>> And as opposed to what
>> other have said they are not more expensive to get them that way. Very
>> cheap
>> at Target, Winco and Costco.

> to quote you: "bull pucky"
>

> And today I got two coupons for the Chiquita
>> brand which they sell at Safeway and maybe some other stores.
>>
>> There is no waste at all with the slices. One can take as many or as few
>> as
>> they want. They are very portable and unlike an apple you slice at home,
>> they are already treated with something to prevent browning.

> Just another additive to make your life better thru chemicals?
>

>> You buy and eat your apples the way you want to and we'll do the same.
>> One
>> thing you didn't see me bitching about was the priced of sliced apples.
>> Because where I buy them they are cheap! Even the organic ones at
>> Costco.

> bull pucky

FOAD!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

>> > Sorry, not only is it not old, but it has a new look on the label. The
>> > use
>> > by date of the ones in my fridge are 051012.
>> >
>> > I just took a look at their site, and the diet black cherry is the
>> > first
>> > flavor shown in the upper right hand under "find your favorite flavors"
>> >
>> > http://www.shastapop.com/flavors/

>> I said Diet Black Cherry COLA! Not Black Cherry. But I guess we can't
>> all
>> have good reading comprehension.

> wow, you actually caught me making a mistake. Cudos!

Perhaps you mean kudos?

> Of course even someone as full of themselves as you are realizes that you
> could
> actually mix diet black cherry and diet cola to make the same drink. Don't
> you?

Why would I want to do that? I didn't even like the stuff.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/19/2011 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>>

>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>
>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>> those. I haven't a clue because I never liked them. She asked for them
>>> before we knew of the low carb diet and they were going to go bad if they
>>> didn't get eaten.

>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg rise
>> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a mandarin,
>> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit. It's
> sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them sliced.
> If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it like
> that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She couldn't
> figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it. But I
> did to get them out of the house.

cut kiwi in 1/2

use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind

done!!

kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 8/20/2011 9:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message

>>> Oh she can but then we have to wash the slicer and I don't like to do
>>> that.
>>> It gets all sticky.

>> How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a boiled
>> egg in an eggcup?

> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.

Julie, imagine a soft boiled egg, that comes in a holder designed
for................. EGGS!!!!!

have you ever scooped a boiled egg from the shell?

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/19/2011 10:03 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>>

>>> "Julie > wrote in message
>>>
>>> Angela also had three kiwis. Need to look up the carb count for
>>>
>>> When I used to have IR kiwis, just one even, caused a catastrophic bg
>>> rise
>>> for me. I was always fine with a small apple at snack time, or a
>>> mandarin,
>>> the berries of course and rockmelon and watermelon.

>> Well I guess no more kiwis then. I do *not* like messing with fruit.
>> It's
>> sticky and icky. I tell her if she wants sliced apples to buy them
>> sliced.
>> If she wants watermelon I'll either cut it in half and she can eat it
>> like
>> that (I mean the personal sized ones) or buy it cut in chunks. She
>> couldn't
>> figure out how to peel the kiwi. And I really didn't want to do it. But
>> did to get them out of the house.
>>

> cut kiwi in 1/2
>
> use spoon to scoop out the meat and leave the rind
>
> done!!
>
> kidlet was 3.5 yrs old when he had that one solved

Given the carb count I will try to talk her out of them. Now she wants
pears. They didn't have any pears at Target. And normally we would have
tons of pears in the backyard but my husband had the gardener cut back the
trees so nothing produced this year. Maybe next. Maybe. They were really
good pears.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 8/20/2011 9:58 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message

>>> How about cutting it in half and scooping it out like you would a boiled
>>> egg in an eggcup?

>> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.
>>

> Julie, imagine a soft boiled egg, that comes in a holder designed
> for................. EGGS!!!!!
>
> have you ever scooped a boiled egg from the shell?

I have never seen a soft boiled egg. I can't imagine a soft boiled egg.
Undercooked eggs just make me want to gag.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

<snip>

> I have never seen a soft boiled egg. I can't imagine a soft boiled
> egg. Undercooked eggs just make me want to gag.

I think soft-boiled eggs are indeed rather old-fashioned. Why, I don't know.
Perhaps fear of salmonella? I can't recall the last time I saw an egg cup
myself.

A good--to my taste, anyway--soft-boiled egg is not undercooked. The whites
are cooked through, and the yolk still runny, just like an egg fried over
easy. The idea of runny whites makes me gag, too. <G>

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove > wrote:

: "Janet" > wrote in message
: ...
: > Julie Bove wrote:
: > <snip>
: >
: >>>> I have never eaten a boiled egg in an egg cup.
: >>>
: >>> and apparently can't imagine such a thing
: >>
: >> No I can't. Why in the hell would you put it in a cup? We just peel
: >> them and eat them. Or we did. I don't any more since I am allergic
: >> to eggs.
: >
: > Eggcups are used for softboiled eggs. My grandmother used to cook them for
: > me when I was a kid, and served them with toast "soldiers" to dip in the
: > yolk.

: I have never eaten a soft boiled egg nor would I. Maybe they are common
: elsewhere? I don't think they are common here. At least I've never heard
: of anyone eating them.

: My brother used to eat fried eggs with runny yolks. He would dip his toast
: in them. It would gag me to watch. I never really liked eggs but if I had
: to eat them they would have to be fried to a crisp or hard cooked.

My family frequently eats soft or medium boiled eggs. When the kids were
small I had a system to time them, taking out my usbands firsst, as he
liked them softest, walking them inot the dining ffoyer, then taking mine
out and walking them in , then Mitcch's , and finally, Jon's as he liked
them nearer to hard boiled, but still with softness in the yolk. I still
have them as they are, to me the ultimate comfort food! i serve them in a
pyrex custard cup, finind the traditional English egg cup les satsfactory
unless you have one of those double sided one, so I can put the eggs into
the deep side, totally out of the shell.

End my dissertation on boiled eggs:-)

Wendy
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> I have never seen a soft boiled egg. I can't imagine a soft boiled egg.
> Undercooked eggs just make me want to gag.

then you must hate custard and I would imagine some ice creams
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >, "Julie Bove" >
wrote:

> "Malcom "Mal" Reynolds" > wrote in message

> >> I said Diet Black Cherry COLA! Not Black Cherry. But I guess we can't
> >> all have good reading comprehension.

> > wow, you actually caught me making a mistake. Cudos!

Caught me again, you really are on a roll

> Perhaps you mean kudos?
>
> > Of course even someone as full of themselves as you are realizes that you
> > could actually mix diet black cherry and diet cola to make the same drink.
> > Don't you?

> Why would I want to do that? I didn't even like the stuff.

then why did you even bring it up?

Sticker Shock Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 20-09-2012 12:00 AM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 04-09-2012 06:11 PM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 27-04-2012 04:29 PM
More Sticker Shock No Name General Cooking 36 02-06-2009 04:18 PM