Old 29-05-2009, 10:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default More Sticker Shock

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Old 29-05-2009, 10:45 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 2:32*pm, "RJ" wrote:
When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Here's a good article.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/15455398/detail.html
Old 29-05-2009, 11:30 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
wrote:

On May 29, 2:32*pm, "RJ" wrote:
When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Here's a good article.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/15455398/detail.html

coffee, sugar and beef jumped like that. We heard in the 70s that
food would become much more expensive (adjusting for inflation) over
the next thirty or more years.

I recall mentioning it to Harry at the Pied Piper who said, "Well,
people have to eat".

But at what cost?
--
mad
Old 29-05-2009, 11:36 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article ,
"RJ" wrote:

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Old 30-05-2009, 12:07 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin'

*"RJ" wrote:
When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

Old 30-05-2009, 02:08 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote in message
"RJ" wrote:

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

I don't think that's the case, the US produces far more wheat than it can
possibly consume, the US (and Canada) exports more wheat than it consumes
(if not for North American wheat there'd be little pasta in Italy). There
are many other reasons why bakeries are having a difficult time, one biggie
is the cost of fuel to heat their ovens, another is the cost of fuel to
truck to market what they produce. A very big problem for all businesses is
that they can't pay enough wages for their employees to survive. Not only
have individuals over extended their credit, so have all businesses... the
US became a society of conspicuous consumption, and now pay back is
[literally] a bitch. Unfortunately those of us who have for all our lives
exercised restraint are having to pay for all those who have produced little
and spent much. Right now California is demonstrating a prime example of
spoiled brats... when I moved to CA in the early '60s I had no idea what's a
Freeway, then I learned, it's a road system that encourages conspicuous
consumption. It would take less than a year for CA to be way, WAY into the
black if it had the cajones to charge as little as 1/mile to use those
roads and put a $5 toll on every bridge... think of all the fuel folks
wouldn't use and how the air would become clean. Californians were always
pinheads, and except for Obama Arnold has the lowest IQ in the western
hemisphere, and for all his muscles he's the biggest wuss on the planet.

Old 30-05-2009, 02:19 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

*"RJ" wrote:
When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller-good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

It always amazes me how the same people who go crazy over a ten cent
increase in their ATM fee or a 25 cent increase in the price of gas
will flush twenty-five bucks down the toilet on Powerball tickets
(Odds of winning being something like 4,186,289,000 to 1), or pay
$2.99 a bottle for beer at a bar (That means the bar is charging
almost $72.00 a case for Budweiser that the bar buys in bulk
quantities) without batting an eye. People are funny sometimes.
Old 30-05-2009, 02:31 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

RJ wrote:
When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Flour started climbing about a year ago. Local bakeries have increased
the price of their bread substantially.

Old 30-05-2009, 04:58 AM posted to rec.food.cooking

"RJ" wrote in message

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

It's all you. I moaned about the huge costs increases recently and I was
told you can feed yourself for 200 bucks a year. So get cracking with those
coupons. It's just your imagination that vegetables and fruit are cheaper
than beef.

And if you want sticker shock, try to buy a bag of Basmati rice. You'll
need a loan.

Paul

Old 30-05-2009, 01:22 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"RJ" ha scritto nel messaggio

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and cooking and
I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be wrong with the food!

There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all bidding
for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or hear it. It's
true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes more of them to buy
whatever thing it is you want. European countries buy that wheat using
euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is no way the farmer will take
less from you because he feels sorry that you only have dollars.

Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it hard to
feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can buy whole
fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.

Old 30-05-2009, 02:12 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
,

wrote:

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
she's right.
Old 30-05-2009, 02:24 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" wrote in message

"RJ" ha scritto nel messaggio

[...]

Too bad not everybody in this country makes enough to afford even those
prices.

Ms P

Old 30-05-2009, 03:13 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 30 May 2009 06:12:56a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

In article
,

wrote:

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
she's right.

In our area the in-store bakeries in the Safeway stores make very good
doughnuts, in fact, better than the doughnuut shops. They're usual price
is 58 each. When I went in yesterday morning to buy a drink from the in-
store Starbucks, they're doughnuts were on sale for 25 each, so bought 2
dozen to take to work.

Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted and
renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores. They're
doughnuts are now 89 each and not nearly as good as they used to be.

Krispy Kreme went out of business in Arizona a few years ago, although I
don't know what the problem was. Now the original owner of their
franchises here has begun opening new shops. Some of them are in previous
Dunkin' Doughnut shops that DD chose not to renovate. I haven't bought any
there yet, but those that co-workers brought in were the same quality as
the original. Yeah, I know that there are many detractors of KK, although
I do like them once in a while if they're still warm.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini

Old 30-05-2009, 03:32 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 08:12:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

In article
,

wrote:

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
she's right.

i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

your pal,
blake
Old 30-05-2009, 03:57 PM posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
the old price.

Sticker Shock Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 20-09-2012 12:00 AM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 04-09-2012 06:11 PM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 27-04-2012 04:29 PM
Sticker Shock Space Cowboy Tea 7 28-08-2007 01:59 AM