Posted to rec.food.cooking
No Name

Default More Sticker Shock

When did the 5lb sack of flour
jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )

They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

???

Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
When you couple that with the cost of beef,
maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 2:32*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
>
> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>
> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>
> ???
>
> Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Here's a good article.
http://www.channel3000.com/news/15455398/detail.html
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 29 May 2009 14:45:50 -0700 (PDT), Chemo the Clown
> wrote:

>On May 29, 2:32*pm, "<RJ>" > wrote:
>> When did the 5lb sack of flour
>> jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
>>
>> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
>> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>>
>> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>>
>> ???
>>
>> Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
>> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
>> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

>Here's a good article.
>http://www.channel3000.com/news/15455398/detail.html

coffee, sugar and beef jumped like that. We heard in the 70s that
food would become much more expensive (adjusting for inflation) over
the next thirty or more years.

I recall mentioning it to Harry at the Pied Piper who said, "Well,
people have to eat".

But at what cost?
--
mad
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"<RJ>" > wrote:

> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. Increased flour
prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
wrote:
> In article >,
>
> *"<RJ>" > wrote:
> > When did the 5lb sack of flour
> > jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
> > They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

> But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
> prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller- good news 4-6-2009
> "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> -Philo of Alexandria

Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
doughnut. Everything goes up.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> "<RJ>" > wrote:
>
>> When did the 5lb sack of flour
>> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

>> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

> But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. Increased flour
> prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

I don't think that's the case, the US produces far more wheat than it can
possibly consume, the US (and Canada) exports more wheat than it consumes
(if not for North American wheat there'd be little pasta in Italy). There
are many other reasons why bakeries are having a difficult time, one biggie
is the cost of fuel to heat their ovens, another is the cost of fuel to
truck to market what they produce. A very big problem for all businesses is
that they can't pay enough wages for their employees to survive. Not only
have individuals over extended their credit, so have all businesses... the
US became a society of conspicuous consumption, and now pay back is
[literally] a bitch. Unfortunately those of us who have for all our lives
exercised restraint are having to pay for all those who have produced little
and spent much. Right now California is demonstrating a prime example of
spoiled brats... when I moved to CA in the early '60s I had no idea what's a
Freeway, then I learned, it's a road system that encourages conspicuous
consumption. It would take less than a year for CA to be way, WAY into the
black if it had the cajones to charge as little as 1¢/mile to use those
roads and put a $5 toll on every bridge... think of all the fuel folks
wouldn't use and how the air would become clean. Californians were always
pinheads, and except for Obama Arnold has the lowest IQ in the western
hemisphere, and for all his muscles he's the biggest wuss on the planet.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On May 29, 6:07*pm, Chemo the Clown > wrote:
> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:
>
> > In article >,

> > *"<RJ>" > wrote:
> > > When did the 5lb sack of flour
> > > jump up to $3.29 ? * ( southern AZ )
> > > They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJhttp://web.me.com/barbschaller-good news 4-6-2009
> > "Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
> > -Philo of Alexandria

> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
> doughnut. Everything goes up.

It always amazes me how the same people who go crazy over a ten cent
increase in their ATM fee or a 25 cent increase in the price of gas
will flush twenty-five bucks down the toilet on Powerball tickets
(Odds of winning being something like 4,186,289,000 to 1), or pay
$2.99 a bottle for beer at a bar (That means the bar is charging
almost $72.00 a case for Budweiser that the bar buys in bulk
quantities) without batting an eye. People are funny sometimes.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

<RJ> wrote:
> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
>
> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>
> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>
> ???
>
> Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

Flour started climbing about a year ago. Local bakeries have increased
the price of their bread substantially.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" > wrote in message

> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
>
> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>
> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>
> ???
>
> Of course, a loaf of brand-name bread is $3+
> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

It's all you. I moaned about the huge costs increases recently and I was
told you can feed yourself for 200 bucks a year. So get cracking with those
coupons. It's just your imagination that vegetables and fruit are cheaper
than beef.

And if you want sticker shock, try to buy a bag of Basmati rice. You'll
need a loan.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"<RJ>" ha scritto nel messaggio

> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and cooking and
I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be wrong with the food!

There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all bidding
for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or hear it. It's
true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes more of them to buy
whatever thing it is you want. European countries buy that wheat using
euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is no way the farmer will take
less from you because he feels sorry that you only have dollars.

Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it hard to
feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can buy whole
fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Chemo the Clown > wrote:

> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
> wrote:

> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
> doughnut. Everything goes up.

I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
she's right.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "<RJ>" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> When did the 5lb sack of flour
>> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
>> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
>> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
>> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

> I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and cooking
> and I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be wrong with the
> food!
>
> There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all
> bidding for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or hear
> it. It's true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes more of
> them to buy whatever thing it is you want. European countries buy that
> wheat using euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is no way the farmer
> will take less from you because he feels sorry that you only have dollars.
>
> Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it hard to
> feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can buy whole
> fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.

Too bad not everybody in this country makes enough to afford even those
prices.

Ms P

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat 30 May 2009 06:12:56a, Melba's Jammin' told us...

> In article
> >,
> Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:

>> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
>> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
>> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

>> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
>> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
>> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
>> doughnut. Everything goes up.

> I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
> psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
> doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
> they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
> fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
> she's right.

In our area the in-store bakeries in the Safeway stores make very good
doughnuts, in fact, better than the doughnuut shops. They're usual price
is 58¢ each. When I went in yesterday morning to buy a drink from the in-
store Starbucks, they're doughnuts were on sale for 25¢ each, so bought 2
dozen to take to work.

Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted and
renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores. They're
doughnuts are now 89¢ each and not nearly as good as they used to be.

Krispy Kreme went out of business in Arizona a few years ago, although I
don't know what the problem was. Now the original owner of their
franchises here has begun opening new shops. Some of them are in previous
Dunkin' Doughnut shops that DD chose not to renovate. I haven't bought any
there yet, but those that co-workers brought in were the same quality as
the original. Yeah, I know that there are many detractors of KK, although
I do like them once in a while if they're still warm.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Vegetables are a must on a diet. I suggest carrot cake, zucchini

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 08:12:56 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article
> >,
> Chemo the Clown > wrote:
>
>> On May 29, 3:36*pm, Melba's Jammin' >
>> wrote:

>>> But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
>>> of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. *Increased flour
>>> prices have been killing small independent bakeries.

>> Maybe so but when someone is willing to pay big money for electronic
>> toys, spend a fortune going to the movies, high cable rates, etc,
>> etc....then they ought to be willing to pay 20 cents more for a
>> doughnut. Everything goes up.

> I don't necessarily disagree. I heard an bakery owner talking about a
> psychological set point that people have in their minds about how much a
> doughnut should cost. It was maybe 69 or 75 cents; more than that and
> they wouldn't buy. "A doughnut shouldn't cost more than 75 cents,
> fercripesake!" Logic doesn't necessarily play a key part. I think
> she's right.

i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
> will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
the old price.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:
> blake murphy wrote:
>

>> i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
>> will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

> My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
> the old price.

Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
same and increase the price as required.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:22:03 +0200, "Giusi" >
wrote:

>"<RJ>" ha scritto nel messaggio
>>
>> When did the 5lb sack of flour
>> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )
>> Seems like it's been a buck and change forever.
>> ( with holiday sales pegging at 99 cents a bag )
>> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....
>> When you couple that with the cost of beef,
>> maybe it's a government plan to put Americans on a diet...

>I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and cooking and
>I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be wrong with the food!
>
>There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all bidding
>for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or hear it. It's
>true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes more of them to buy
>whatever thing it is you want. European countries buy that wheat using
>euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is no way the farmer will take
>less from you because he feels sorry that you only have dollars.
>
>Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it hard to
>feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can buy whole
>fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.

The bonus being here is that we don't have a 100 people an hour being
foreclosed on because of lending companies created by the government
giving borrowers large mortgages they couldn't afford, but gave it to
them anyway.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, gravesend10
@verizon.net says...

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > In article >,
> > "<RJ>" > wrote:
> >
> >> When did the 5lb sack of flour
> >> jump up to $3.29 ? ( southern AZ )

> >> They can't say they're using it to make Ethanol....

> > But when the farmers put their land into corn instead of wheat because
> > of the demand for ethanol, the wheat prices rise. Increased flour
> > prices have been killing small independent bakeries.
> >

> I don't think that's the case, the US produces far more wheat than it can
> possibly consume, the US (and Canada) exports more wheat than it consumes
> (if not for North American wheat there'd be little pasta in Italy). There
> are many other reasons why bakeries are having a difficult time, one biggie
> is the cost of fuel to heat their ovens, another is the cost of fuel to
> truck to market what they produce. A very big problem for all businesses is
> that they can't pay enough wages for their employees to survive. Not only
> have individuals over extended their credit, so have all businesses... the
> US became a society of conspicuous consumption, and now pay back is
> [literally] a bitch. Unfortunately those of us who have for all our lives
> exercised restraint are having to pay for all those who have produced little
> and spent much. Right now California is demonstrating a prime example of
> spoiled brats... when I moved to CA in the early '60s I had no idea what's a
> Freeway, then I learned, it's a road system that encourages conspicuous
> consumption. It would take less than a year for CA to be way, WAY into the
> black if it had the cajones to charge as little as 1¢/mile to use those
> roads and put a $5 toll on every bridge... think of all the fuel folks
> wouldn't use and how the air would become clean. Californians were always
> pinheads, and except for Obama Arnold has the lowest IQ in the western
> hemisphere, and for all his muscles he's the biggest wuss on the planet.

They have proposed state boundary tolls, mileage charges et al in Rhode
Island. And it's gone absolutely nowhere because RI is too damned small
and there is regular transit over the borders into MA and CT on a daily
basis.

When I did have a car I was doing about 10,000 miles a year. So at a
penny a mile that would add $100 to my total tax. Not bad, not good but
I now one guy who does 40,000 miles a year. He'd be rather upset.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:

> Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted
> and renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores.
> They're doughnuts are now 89¢ each and not nearly as good as they
> used to be.

Same with the one in town. I believe they are shipping the
donuts in rather than baking them in the store.

I thought it was interesting to read that donuts are only 12% of
the chain's profits, so I guess having more space in the store and
less kitchen is worth it to them. Oh, well. Not as if donuts are a
big thing with me.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>
>> Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted
>> and renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores.
>> They're doughnuts are now 89¢ each and not nearly as good as they
>> used to be.

I can remember when doughnuts were 89¢ a DOZEN fer cripes sake.

And remember when the dairy industry was introducing the
consumer to yogurt?
It was often on sale for 6 or 8 for a dollar. I just saw
some at a local Kroger
affiliate for 99¢ apiece!

gloria p
starting to feel like a Depression survivor
even tho I was born a generation later.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 14:13:52 GMT, Wayne Boatwright
> fired up random neurons and synapses
to opine:

>Within the past year or so, Dunkin' Doughnuts either complete gutted and
>renovated or tore down and rebuilt all of their old stores. They're
>doughnuts are now 89¢ each and not nearly as good as they used to be.

If you're looking for a non-swooshy, plain old cup of coffee, you
can't beat DD. I don't care if you're in Boston or Baton Rouge, it's
gonna be the same and it's gonna be good.

>Krispy Kreme went out of business in Arizona a few years ago, although I
>don't know what the problem was. Now the original owner of their
>franchises here has begun opening new shops. Some of them are in previous
>Dunkin' Doughnut shops that DD chose not to renovate. I haven't bought any
>there yet, but those that co-workers brought in were the same quality as
>the original. Yeah, I know that there are many detractors of KK, although
>I do like them once in a while if they're still warm.

IIRC, the only time KK doughnuts are any good is when they're still
warm. They taste like you've bitten into a wad of Crisco when they're
cold. OTOH, I haven't eaten a doughnut in years. As much as I love a
good doughnut, just looking at them makes me think, "Girl, you might
as well just slap 'em on your hips now and avoid the middle man..."

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 11:14:38 -0400, George >
fired up random neurons and synapses to opine:

>Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
>go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
>same and increase the price as required.

I'm not much for price shopping - I'm usually in a mad dash home from
work or flying through my Saturday To-Do List, but I did notice the
last couple of times I bought pre-packaged bacon that it had gone from
16 ozs. to 12, but the price seemed to have remained the same. I only
noticed lately, b/c Albertson's started carrying Neuske's bacon, which
is some seriously good damned bacon, and was looking a little more
closely at the package. I usually get Oscar Mayer or, when I'm
shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?

Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

- Duncan Hines

To reply, replace "meatloaf" with "cox"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 30 May 2009 18:30:39 -0700, Terry Pulliam Burd
> wrote:

>I'm not much for price shopping - I'm usually in a mad dash home from
>work or flying through my Saturday To-Do List, but I did notice the
>last couple of times I bought pre-packaged bacon that it had gone from
>16 ozs. to 12, but the price seemed to have remained the same. I only
>noticed lately, b/c Albertson's started carrying Neuske's bacon, which
>is some seriously good damned bacon, and was looking a little more
>closely at the package. I usually get Oscar Mayer or, when I'm
>shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
>too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?

Some are 12 oz., some are still 16 oz. You have to pay attention if
you're looking for the best price.

Carol

--
Change "invalid" to James Bond's agent number to reply.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
> last couple of times I bought pre-packaged bacon that it had gone from
> 16 ozs. to 12, but the price seemed to have remained the same. I only
> noticed lately, b/c Albertson's started carrying Neuske's bacon, which
> is some seriously good damned bacon, and was looking a little more
> closely at the package. I usually get Oscar Mayer or, when I'm
> shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
> too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

Not here in CT. I do recall seeing some 12 oz. a few years ago, but all are
16 oz. here, including OM. Maybe it is a regional thing

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
George > wrote:

> Dave Smith wrote:
> > blake murphy wrote:
> >

> >> i'm sure she is. i have a price point for several items. other items i
> >> will bitch and moan and pay anyway.

> > My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
> > the old price.

> Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
> go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
> same and increase the price as required.

But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.

The problem it presents when cooking is that you can no longer rely on
an old recipe that calls for six 5-cents Hershey bars. "-)

Take peace!
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Ed Pawlowski" > wrote in message

> "Terry Pulliam Burd" > wrote in message
>> last couple of times I bought pre-packaged bacon that it had gone from
>> 16 ozs. to 12, but the price seemed to have remained the same. I only
>> noticed lately, b/c Albertson's started carrying Neuske's bacon, which
>> is some seriously good damned bacon, and was looking a little more
>> closely at the package. I usually get Oscar Mayer or, when I'm
>> shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
>> too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?
>>
>> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

> Not here in CT. I do recall seeing some 12 oz. a few years ago, but all
> are 16 oz. here, including OM. Maybe it is a regional thing

I don't buy bacon very often but I do remember seeing 12 oz packages, it was
right along side the 1 lb packages, probably wasn't a big seller because
most every brand of bacon does have a 1/2 lb package. And I know the bacon
producers sell commercial size packages of sliced bacon too; 2, 3, and even
5 lb. Large commissarys use slab bacon (it costs less than sliced), it's
sliced frozen on a deli meat slicer... cooked in an oven in large roasting
pans with the bacon pressed under a screen, or in a deep fryer pressed
between two fry baskets (many restaurants prefer the deep fryer method, it's
quicker and safer). Restaurants that do a big breakfast trade par-cook
bacon and sausages in advance, placed in layers between waxed paper and
refrigerated, then it only takes like three minutes on the griddle to finish
cooking along with the egg orders. Next you cook bacon at home cook the
entire package but par-cook and keep what you don't consume in the freezer,
it will have a longer shelf life, will be at the ready, and will make
cooking breakfast much easier... of course this won't work for those who
once bacon is cooked will eat it all, which is probably most. LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> George wrote:
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>> > My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
>> > the old price.

>> Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
>> go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
>> same and increase the price as required.

> But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
> reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
> than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
> little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
> does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
> more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.
>
> The problem it presents when cooking is that you can no longer rely on
> an old recipe that calls for six 5-cents Hershey bars. "-)

Now you're giving away your age... when was the last time you saw 5¢ Hoishey
bars... next yer gonna tell us they were three times the size of today's 75¢
bar and they cost six for 25¢... me, I don't remember that... hehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 May 2009 07:50:32 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> George > wrote:
>
>> Dave Smith wrote:

>>> My cut off point is where they reduce the size of the package and keep
>>> the old price.

>> Me too, don't insult me with weasel tactics. I can comprehend that costs
>> go up, just leave the 1 lb bag or quart jar or gallon of ice cream the
>> same and increase the price as required.

> But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
> reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
> than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
> little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
> does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
> more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.

i think you can be pretty certain that they have researched these issues
and have chosen the alternative that makes them the most money. these
things are not left to chance.

but it is possible they researched it 20 years ago and never looked at it
again, though.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>> But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
>> reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
>> than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
>> little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
>> does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
>> more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.
>>

> i think you can be pretty certain that they have researched these issues
> and have chosen the alternative that makes them the most money. these
> things are not left to chance.
>
> but it is possible they researched it 20 years ago and never looked at it
> again, though.
>
> your pal,
> blake

The half gallon worked for the past 60 years that I'm aware of. I also
recall the price less than a dollar too. Once you start reducing the
package size, where do you stop? 1.5 quarts? 1 quart? pint? ounce? It is
going to be tough going back unless they come out with a new "value pack"
with a full half gallon.

Same tactic applies to taxes. The various governments keep raising the
percentage as they increase spending. At some point the tax rate will be
110%. Governments have to stop spending in tough times, not increasing
rates.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"brooklyn1" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
> > The problem it presents when cooking is that you can no longer rely on
> > an old recipe that calls for six 5-cents Hershey bars. "-)

> Now you're giving away your age... when was the last time you saw 5¢ Hoishey
> bars... next yer gonna tell us they were three times the size of today's 75¢
> bar and they cost six for 25¢... me, I don't remember that... hehe

Funny, I've never been one to try to hide my age; me 'n' Carly Simon
will be 64 in just 25 short days! It's not too soon to start thinking
about gifts. :-o) Let's see now, is it good gin and cheap chocolate
or cheap gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. :-0)
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Terry Pulliam Burd > wrote:
> shopping at Stater Bros., their house brand and the OM is 12 ozs.,
> too. I didn't look, but have they all gone to 12 ozs.?
>
> Terry "Squeaks" Pulliam Burd

No. Oscar Mayer sells two sizes; I don't know if Hormel does. I get
mine from my pigmeat guy - it's good stuff and I'm happy to buy direct
from the producer.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - good news 4-6-2009
"Be kind, for everyone you meet is fighting a great battle."
-Philo of Alexandria
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Giusi wrote:

> I've just returned from the US where I did a lot of shopping and
> cooking and I found prices so cheap I worried about what might be
> wrong with the food!

When I see USA prices for beef and pork I always wonder why are they so
cheap in respect to the prices here in Italy whioch are in EUROs, which is
worth 1,30 US$. When EURO started to circulate its value was about half than
now, now it's doubled in value but no price has gone down, and this is a big
rip-off.
But the final rip-off is: you can bet your right leg that, if the US$ rises
against the Euro, all prices here will start to increase at lightspeed.
And the same is true for the gasoline price.
We europeans are getting scr***d bigtime

> There are those of us who have been saying for years that we are all
> bidding for the same resources, and no one wanted to understand it or
> hear it. It's true. The dollar is worth so much less that it takes
> more of them to buy whatever thing it is you want. European
> countries buy that wheat using euro, the US buys it with dollars. There is
> no way the farmer will take less from you because he feels
> sorry that you only have dollars.

The trouble is NOT for who uses dollars! It's for the unlucky ones who have
euro! A person making 1500 US$/month in USA lives much better (thanks to
very lower prices) than a person who earns 1500 euros/month in europe,
totally ignoring the fact that 1500 euros are worth 1900 US$: in real life,
my 1500 euros can buy less than 1500 US$ in the US.

> Gas for the car there costs about 1/4 what we pay here. I find it
> hard to feel sorry for people who pay $2.35 a gallon for it, who can
> buy whole fillet of beef for $5.99 and chicken breasts for $1.89.

Me too, it's ridiculous to see people sorry for those prices while here we
pay 2-3-4 times that.
--
Vilco
Mai guardare Trailer park Boys senza

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"ViLco" > wrote:

> Me too, it's ridiculous to see people sorry for those prices while here we
> pay 2-3-4 times that.

Relax. We're reorganizing. We'll live on par with your economy soon. As
an example, I've always thought the disparity between European gas
prices and ours was a fraud, but I thoroughly enjoyed the fraud. The
money I've been able to save will be worth 1/2-1/3-1/4 of what I thought
it would be worth soon. I hope I'm wrong but don't think so.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 May 2009 21:12:52 -0500, Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >,
> "brooklyn1" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" wrote:
>>> The problem it presents when cooking is that you can no longer rely on
>>> an old recipe that calls for six 5-cents Hershey bars. "-)

>> Now you're giving away your age... when was the last time you saw 5¢ Hoishey
>> bars... next yer gonna tell us they were three times the size of today's 75¢
>> bar and they cost six for 25¢... me, I don't remember that... hehe

> Funny, I've never been one to try to hide my age; me 'n' Carly Simon
> will be 64 in just 25 short days! It's not too soon to start thinking
> about gifts. :-o) Let's see now, is it good gin and cheap chocolate
> or cheap gin and good chocolate? I can never remember. :-0)

ask for all four and then you're covered.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 31 May 2009 22:09:38 -0400, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message
>>>
>>> But that's part of it, George. If a person's 'set point' has been
>>> reached at $4.99 for a half gallon of whatever and they won't pay more
>>> than that, they can still have the same *satisfaction-by-food* with a
>>> little bit less and still not pay more than $4.99. Now, at what point
>>> does such a person feel the rip-off? I don't know. And there must be
>>> more of 'them' than you because the manufacturers get by with it.
>>>

>> i think you can be pretty certain that they have researched these issues
>> and have chosen the alternative that makes them the most money. these
>> things are not left to chance.
>>
>> but it is possible they researched it 20 years ago and never looked at it
>> again, though.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

> The half gallon worked for the past 60 years that I'm aware of. I also
> recall the price less than a dollar too. Once you start reducing the
> package size, where do you stop? 1.5 quarts? 1 quart? pint? ounce? It is
> going to be tough going back unless they come out with a new "value pack"
> with a full half gallon.
>
> Same tactic applies to taxes. The various governments keep raising the
> percentage as they increase spending. At some point the tax rate will be
> 110%. Governments have to stop spending in tough times, not increasing
> rates.

stopping government spending in a recession is a very foolish idea.

blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> i think you can be pretty certain that they have researched these issues
>>> and have chosen the alternative that makes them the most money. these
>>> things are not left to chance.
>>>
>>> but it is possible they researched it 20 years ago and never looked at
>>> it
>>> again, though.
>>>
>>> your pal,
>>> blake

>> The half gallon worked for the past 60 years that I'm aware of. I also
>> recall the price less than a dollar too. Once you start reducing the
>> package size, where do you stop? 1.5 quarts? 1 quart? pint? ounce? It
>> is
>> going to be tough going back unless they come out with a new "value pack"
>> with a full half gallon.
>>
>> Same tactic applies to taxes. The various governments keep raising the
>> percentage as they increase spending. At some point the tax rate will be
>> 110%. Governments have to stop spending in tough times, not increasing
>> rates.

> stopping government spending in a recession is a very foolish idea.

Only a foolish idea for those fools who live in 'debt'... the dirtiest four
letter word, because those in debt **** all the rest of us too... and there
is no such thing as accidental debt, debt is always purposeful.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 01 Jun 2009 18:19:20 GMT, brooklyn1 wrote:

> "blake murphy" > wrote in message

>>> The half gallon worked for the past 60 years that I'm aware of. I also
>>> recall the price less than a dollar too. Once you start reducing the
>>> package size, where do you stop? 1.5 quarts? 1 quart? pint? ounce? It
>>> is
>>> going to be tough going back unless they come out with a new "value pack"
>>> with a full half gallon.
>>>
>>> Same tactic applies to taxes. The various governments keep raising the
>>> percentage as they increase spending. At some point the tax rate will be
>>> 110%. Governments have to stop spending in tough times, not increasing
>>> rates.

>> stopping government spending in a recession is a very foolish idea.
>>

> Only a foolish idea for those fools who live in 'debt'... the dirtiest four
> letter word, because those in debt **** all the rest of us too... and there
> is no such thing as accidental debt, debt is always purposeful.

a government budget is not the same as a family budget, you ****ing idiot.

blake

Sticker Shock Mark Thorson General Cooking 15 20-09-2012 12:00 AM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 6 04-09-2012 06:11 PM
Sticker shock Mark Lipton[_1_] Wine 15 27-04-2012 04:29 PM
Sticker Shock Space Cowboy Tea 7 28-08-2007 01:59 AM