Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could all
eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something , my
dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if your
mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment, you are
not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after that if i had
to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was not in the
habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

Lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Evelyn" > wrote in message
>> On Thu, 14 Apr 2011 15:03:29 -0700, "Julie Bove"
>> > wrote:

om...

>>>Thanks but I probably won't be using it. Angela has refused to consume
>>>anything with liquor in it.

>> The alcohol is totally gone in the cooking process, and honestly the
>> flavor is so improved by using the wine that I find it is worth using.
>> If it didn't improve the flavor much I wouldn't use it. I find it
>> does, though. But suit yourself, of course....

> Yeah but she still won't have it so I won't make her.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

Gotta love your dad for that one. :-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to me
later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the least i
could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger two's
opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago, i
brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on the
stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you eat
something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell out of my
chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up... so i told him
what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was probably worth
it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he said, well... wheres
the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn bread and greens only
without even gagging out loud
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

> Gotta love your dad for that one. :-)
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
> few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to
> me later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the least
> i could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger two's
> opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago, i
> brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on the
> stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you eat
> something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell out of
> my chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up... so i
> told him what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was
> probably worth it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he said,
> well... wheres the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn bread and
> greens only without even gagging out loud

You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes them
for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm Those
were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

i am sure its totally emotional on my part as i love most all other beans...
and cornbread? any way except too sweet. not to hot on the onions but greens
are excellent, Lee
"Cheri" > wrote in message
> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> my parents were fairly easy going and liberal on most things, we had very
>> few rules, but those we had were not allowed to be breaeched, he said to
>> me later, that if my mother went to the effort to fix food, that the
>> least i could do is respect the effort and not influence the younger
>> two's opinion... and of course he was right... just about five years ago,
>> i brought up the fact he made me eat black eyed peas, mom had a pot on
>> the stove... the man looked at me and said" why on earth would i make you
>> eat something that tasted like wood and smelled worse... i almost fell
>> out of my chair in shock... the dh laughed so hard he almost threw up...
>> so i told him what he had said about respecting mom... he said, ok it was
>> probably worth it... then she set the peas down on the table, and he
>> said, well... wheres the pepper, and ate it, lol, Lee... who had corn
>> bread and greens only without even gagging out loud

> You're talking about one of my favorite meals, black-eyed peas and white
> grainy cornbread with red onions on top. My kids never liked them, so I
> never made them eat them. My daughter is in Alabama now, and she makes
> them for her hubby, but she said she still doesn't like them. mmmmmmmmmm
> Those were the good days since I only make them on New Years now.
>
> Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" > wrote in message
> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,

I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
kid refuses it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
> the kid refuses it.

The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do the
"ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that definitely
goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the kid was mine.
:-)

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Cheri" > wrote in message
> The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> kid was mine. :-)

I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article >,
"Julie Bove" > wrote:

> "Cheri" > wrote in message
> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> > kid was mine. :-)

> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

PP
- Chris Malcolm
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article
Peppermint Patootie > wrote:

> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
> > "Cheri" > wrote in message
> > > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
> > > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
> > > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
> > > kid was mine. :-)

> > I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
> > foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

> It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
> example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

Agreed.

--
"Isn't embarrassing to quote something you didn't read and then attack
what it didn't say?"--WG, where else but Usenet

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> wrote:

>In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to do
>> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
>> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if the
>> > kid was mine. :-)

>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way about
>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

>It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
>example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.
>
>PP

Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
"disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
"disgusting".

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message

> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
> "disgusting".
>
> Evelyn

It's the height of rudeness IMO, especially when someone takes the time to
post a recipe. Discussions about substitutions etc. are one thing, but "eww"
and other crass remarks are not needed.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 17:54:52 -0400, Peppermint Patootie
> > wrote:
>
>>In article >,

>>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way
>>> about
>>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

>>It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
>>example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.
>>
>>PP

> Yes it is. I particulary hate it when something I love and enjoy is
> given the "eww" treatment by someone else. They should simply
> remain silent if they don't like something, but not call it
> "disgusting" and such. Say you don't care for it, but not to make
> the other person look like a jerk for liking something you think is
> "disgusting".

But you yourself said you don't like celery!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Peppermint Patootie" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Julie Bove" > wrote:
>
>> "Cheri" > wrote in message
>> > The point being, the kid doesn't have to eat it, but isn't allowed to
>> > do
>> > the "ewwwwwwwwwww, that's awful, yuk"...thing. A little bit of that
>> > definitely goes a long way, and might even result in a tweaked ear if
>> > the
>> > kid was mine. :-)

>> I think it runs in the family. Both of my parents are still that way
>> about
>> foods they don't like. So it doesn't bother me at all.

> It's bad manners. One may become accustomed to it, and even follow the
> example and do it oneself, but it's still bad manners.

Oh well.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

not judging your deciion, just sorta commenting on differences in raising,
she is your offspring and you must do what you think is best for her. lee
"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Storrmmee" > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>> , my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>> "if your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>> comment, you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..."
>> after that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did...
>> he was not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
> the kid refuses it.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
> > wrote in message
>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>

> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
> kid refuses it.

Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:31:14 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something ,
>>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said, "if
>>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without comment,
>>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he was
>>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>>

>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
>> kid refuses it.

>Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

I explained that to her.

She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.

Evelyn
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if the
>>> kid refuses it.

>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

> I explained that to her.
>
> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>
> Evelyn

lol

teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff

i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time round

tee hee

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:

>>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour?
>>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

>> I explained that to her.
>>
>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>
>> Evelyn

>lol
>
>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>
>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time round
>
>tee hee
>
>kate

When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
else made some other contingency plan when I did.

I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
mushrooms.

Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
soup are different. Those I enjoy.

For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
problem :-)
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>lol
>>
>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>
>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>round
>>
>>tee hee
>>
>>kate

> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>
> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
> mushrooms.
>
> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
> soup are different. Those I enjoy.

With me, it's really two things...beets and any kind of sweet potato.
And...my kids either ate things or they didn't, but I never discussed
dinner choices with them until they became older, and then mostly on special
occasions. There was always a PBJ sandwich and a glass of milk to be made if
they hated what I made.

Cheri

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

my mom cooked it, we ate or didn't, but there was no contengency... but then
my mom always had enough variety, that if one wanted to eat there were
always enough things to choose from... even on hamburger and fries nights,
not too often, there were hamburgers, hotdogs, two kinds of buns for each,
fries, you added your own salt and condiments, two/three kinds of cheeses,
chili and often grilled onions... also salad and spinach and green beans...

Lee
"Evelyn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>lol
>>
>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>
>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>round
>>
>>tee hee
>>
>>kate

> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>
> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
> mushrooms.
>
> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
> soup are different. Those I enjoy.
>
> For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
> problem :-)

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Evelyn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 16 Apr 2011 10:39:13 -0600, Tiger Lily > wrote:

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>>lol
>>
>>teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the stroganoff
>>
>>i do it for the flavour, and he likes it, and now that he's older, he's
>>more willing to 'experiment' with different foods KNOWINGLY this time
>>round
>>
>>tee hee
>>
>>kate

> When I had my kids at home (they are all grown up now) I would make
> stuff, put it on the table, and never discuss each and every
> ingredient with them for approval or disapproval. They either ate it
> or they didn't. If they didn't like it, I didn't make it again, or
> else made some other contingency plan when I did.
>
> I never felt it was right to force them, or to make a big deal out of
> it either. The less of a big deal about it, the more open minded
> they were. Fortunately they all eat everything now that they are
> adults, with the exception of my daughter who has always hated
> mushrooms.
>
> Anyone is entitled to an honest dislike or two. As for me, I
> absolutely cannot stand little green lima beans. I dislike them
> intensely. The big limagrands, the dried ones that make a wonderful
> soup are different. Those I enjoy.
>
> For the most part I eat everything... and that JUST may be my worst
> problem :-)

I love all lima beans but nobody else in the family will eat them. I'm not
sure how I discovered that I like them. Perhaps I had them in a restaurant
or something. We did have them occasionally when I was growing up but only
because I picked them out at the grocery store and chose them for dinner.
My brother and I alternated days and got to pick the vegetable. The only
one he would eat was corn. I find I don't really mind that cooked to death
canned corn. But I don't like the really sweet stuff that has sugar in it.
I don't really like frozen corn and I can't stand corn on the cob because it
sticks in my teeth. If I do get it on the cob, I have to cut it off. And I
learned when I went on that raw vegan diet that I really prefer my corn raw.
That tastes soooo good to me! Angela prefers it raw too, but she will eat
it straight from the cob. Alas nobody else in my family liked it raw at
all. In fact I got screamed at for serving them a raw corn salad as though
they thought they were all going to die from taking a bite.

As a kid, vegetables were always my favorite food. However I did have a
problem in choosing the one for the meal because I always wanted more than
one. My mom always had salad or raw veggies on the table so that counted as
one. We almost always had a canned vegetable to go along with it. Unless I
had something growing in the garden that we could eat. I always loved peas
so I grew quite a lot of them, but with our short growing season it seemed
they would all be ready and used up within a period of two weeks.

I keep meaning to look for small cans of lima beans. They used to make
them. Maybe they still do. Once in a while I try to serve them to Angela
and my husband but neither one will eat them in any way shape or form.

The only way I won't eat them is the way they seem to be made in PA. They
are cooked in a very sweet tomato sauce and for a long period of time like
you would baked beans. That just doesn't work for me, even though I love
baked beans!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 4/16/2011 5:31 AM, Evelyn wrote:
>> On Fri, 15 Apr 2011 23:31:14 -0600, Tiger >
>> wrote:

>>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the
>>> flavour?
>>> the alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

>> I explained that to her.
>>
>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it.
>> It's
>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>
>> Evelyn

> lol
>
> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
> stroganoff

Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and
he doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture,
dunno - lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day
but it was purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their
plates they are into cereal an hour later.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/16/2011 5:28 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

> "Tiger Lily" > wrote in message

>>> I explained that to her.
>>>
>>> She allows Angela to tell her how to cook and what to put in it. It's
>>> her child, her deal. She can do what she wants.
>>>
>>> Evelyn

>> lol
>>
>> teenlet doesn't even know when a splash of sherry goes into the
>> stroganoff
>>

> Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
> something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
> mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and
> he doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture, dunno
> - lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day but it
> was purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their plates
> they are into cereal an hour later.

years ago the pediatrician told me to 'blenderize to liquid' all
'offensive material' like she did with her husband

they don't 'see' it, they don't complain

i think it's a texture, not a taste issue

kate
Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" > wrote in message

> Mine don't even know what I put in a meal unless they visually see
> something they don't like. My 20 year old for example picks out bits of
> mushroom, capsicum and onion. Sometimes I put dried onion in things and he
> doesn't complain, so its not the taste I guess but the texture, dunno -
> lol. He accused me of putting onion in his salad the other day but it was
> purple cabbage.... I find if the kids leave stuff on their plates they
> are into cereal an hour later.

The only onion my mom ever had in the house was dried onion.

When I had a garden I always planted onions around the edges because I had
read somewhere they would keep the bugs away. They didn't. I always threw
the onions out because seriously I didn't realize they could be eaten!
Sounds stupid now that I think about it but I had never seen my mom cut up
an onion.

I don't remember when I discovered that you could actually eat onions, but I
know by the time I had my first apartment I knew. I grew them in my little
back yard and I did eat them. I put them in pretty much any savory dish I
made and I love them!

I know now that my mom has an extreme dislike for onions. So perhaps this
is why she never had them in the house. She came from a farm so she had to
have known they could be eaten.

Anyway... People used to always tell me that kids wouldn't eat onions and
if I had kids, I should use onion powder instead. This was something I was
unfamiliar with but I soon learned after I was married that if I were to
cook for my FIL I had to use that and not the onions he grew in his garden.
I am not sure why he grew them and there were tons! I sometimes helped him
harvest them for drying. He gave them to my MIL but then he would get mad
at her if she put them in any food that was meant for him. It was a texture
thing with him. He didn't object to the flavor at all.

I fed Angela onions pretty much from the time she was eating solids. She
never objected to them and wouldn't have at all except that people would be
very vocal about the onions around her to the point where I think it made
her think she didn't like them. Now if she sees a big piece of onion, she
does object. I try to cut them up finely if I am cooking for her. And she
will willingly eat green onions. She does like those.

I think part of my problem with her is because of how my dad acts around
food. If it is something unfamiliar to him, he will make a face and poke
through it with his fork, asking what is in it. If there is something he
has never heard of before, most of the time he won't eat it. It could be so
much as a seasoning he hasn't heard of before. That's all it takes.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Tiger Lily" > wrote in message
> On 4/15/2011 2:29 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
>> > wrote in message
>>> man when my mom cooked we ate it or did without, we all had different
>>> allergies, and with four of us she really worked at making food we could
>>> all eat as a family, once and only once did i snarl my nose at something
>>> ,
>>> my dad made me eat what seemed like a ton of black eyed peas, he said,
>>> "if
>>> your mother cooked it... the least you can do is pass it without
>>> comment,
>>> you are not allowed to disrespect her efforts for any reason..." after
>>> that if i had to hold my breath to get something passed me i did... he
>>> was
>>> not in the habit of making us take food we didn't want to eat,
>>>

>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
>> the
>> kid refuses it.

> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour? the
> alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

It doesn't all burn off. And if a kid says they don't want alcohol, I'm
certainly not going to give it to them!

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 4/17/2011 9:02 PM, Julie Bove wrote:

>>> I do not think it is proper to make a kid eat something with alcohol, if
>>> the
>>> kid refuses it.

>> Julie, you know when you cook with alcohol, you ONLY get the flavour? the
>> alcohol 'burns off' in the simmering?

> It doesn't all burn off. And if a kid says they don't want alcohol, I'm
> certainly not going to give it to them!

http://www.fabulousfoods.com/recipes/article/213/18679

Author Notes
The consistency of this soup is smooth and velvety. The beer and the
sherry add much to the aroma and flavor. Don't fret about the kids, the
alcohol actually cooks out of the soup.