Old 13-04-2011, 06:37 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Butter on green beans?

I love green beans. I bought a steamer bag of fresh green beans and made
them for dinner tonight. Normally I just steam them and eat them. But the
directions said to put butter, salt and pepper on them. I also read of a
recipe in a magazine that called for butter and parmesan cheese on them.
Now once in a while I have made green beans or beans and carrots with a
little olive oil. But never butter. But I decided to try it.

I didn't like it! I didn't like it at all! Maybe it's because I grew up
eating plain vegetables. Mostly they were canned but once in a while they
were fresh. My grandma did make beans with bacon in them, but I only
remember having those a few times.

So... Do you put butter on your beans? I think the only veggie I ever put
butter on is potatoes. I don't even like it on corn. Once in a while on
popcorn, but usually I even prefer that without.

Old 13-04-2011, 07:11 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

might be due to your dairy issues. i like most vegetables from raw and
plain to cooked to death and drowned in; butter, OO, insert any number of
sauces here...

depends on my mood, Lee

Old 13-04-2011, 07:21 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
might be due to your dairy issues. i like most vegetables from raw and
plain to cooked to death and drowned in; butter, OO, insert any number of
sauces here...

Maybe. I didn't grow up with butter. My mom only ever bought Blue Bonnet
and in later days some sort of soft spread. Usually Greg's Gold N' Soft.
Not sure they even make that any more. These days she buys Smart Balance
Light.

Old 13-04-2011, 07:35 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

I put my cholesterol lowering margarine on veggies. Hard to get the
amount necessary if only using it on bread. I do it when the veggies
cool slightly so it doesn't melt away. I put butter on veggies that are
going into the middle of the table for large family dinners. Otherwise I
just do the margarine on my own plate.

Old 13-04-2011, 10:14 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Ozgirl" wrote in message
I put my cholesterol lowering margarine on veggies. Hard to get the amount
necessary if only using it on bread. I do it when the veggies cool slightly
so it doesn't melt away. I put butter on veggies that are going into the
middle of the table for large family dinners. Otherwise I just do the
margarine on my own plate.

I guess I don't use much margarine either. Mainly I put it on bread. I did
make macaroni and cheese for dinner tonight and I did add butter to that. I
don't always remember to put the butter in though and frankly we can't tell
the difference with our without it.

I quit buying the cholesterol lowering margarine. My cholesterol isn't high
and that stuff was just soooo expensive. I found a new brand with no milk
in it. Haven't tried it yet though.

I guess I just like my veggies pretty much fat free. Yes, I like bacon in
green beans. Not ham though. I once took a bunch of green beans at a
restaurant thinking they had bacon in them, then read the sign that it was
ham. They were just too greasy and salty for my taste. Just as I don't
like dressing on my salad, I guess I don't like fat on my veggies. There
was a time when I ate raw baby carrots with olive oil and salt. That is
good.

Old 13-04-2011, 10:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i think most tastes are enviiromentally influenced if not created, Lee

That could be. I grew up eating really plain food. I think perhaps that is
just common for the Midwest.

My mom came from a large family and although they had a farm, there wasn't
excess food. I don't think they had much in the way of herbs and spices.
Mainly meat, potatoes and vegetables. But the meat was not always what we
think of as meat these days. Often it was brains or squirrel or something
like that. They also ate a lot of popcorn, often as cereal.

From what I've been told, it sounded like my dad didn't eat a lot of home
cooked meals after his dad died. My grandma had to go to work. I think
they ate out a lot, but it was simple food like fried chicken or roast beef
with potatoes.

I was unfamiliar with sauces of any kind until I started watching cooking
shows. We never had any such thing at home except for occasional tomato
sauce for pasta. Our macaroni and cheese came from a box so I can't really
call what was on it a sauce.

My parents do eat out a lot and most of the time if they are ordering
something with sauce, they ask for no sauce or they have the sauce on the
side. Or if they do get something with sauce, they will usually scrape all
the sauce off before they eat it.

Old 13-04-2011, 10:38 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

i was blessed to be raised in a situation that allowed me to eat many kinds
of food, squirrel isn't bad but then rabbit isn't eaither, its just too
gamey if not fixed correctly... my mom grew up with lots of siblings so she
tells me stories about home made sour dough bread and gravy with sausage...
hardens my arteries but i love her to talk about it all,
"Julie Bove" wrote in message

"Storrmmee" wrote in message
i think most tastes are enviiromentally influenced if not created, Lee

That could be. I grew up eating really plain food. I think perhaps that
is just common for the Midwest.

My mom came from a large family and although they had a farm, there wasn't
excess food. I don't think they had much in the way of herbs and spices.
Mainly meat, potatoes and vegetables. But the meat was not always what we
think of as meat these days. Often it was brains or squirrel or something
like that. They also ate a lot of popcorn, often as cereal.

From what I've been told, it sounded like my dad didn't eat a lot of home

Old 13-04-2011, 10:46 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

They have plant sterols in them. "Flora pro-activ contains plant sterols
which have been scientifically proven to reduce the absorption of
cholesterol." In Australia you are not allowed to make a claim that
something does something unless it is proven that it does Like on
vitamins where they are forced to say "this vitamin may help to blah
blah".

Old 13-04-2011, 02:17 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
[...]

I never put butter on vegetables and my mother never did. As most of our
meals withstriing beans meals had meat, butter would nt have been
considered.

I do not like buttered vegetables and, like you, I believe it is because
it is not what I grew up with.

I eat, and enjoy many foods I did not grow up with, but somehow I prefer
my vegetables plain, unless in some kind of dish like ratatouie(sp?) or
those great Greek stringbeans in tasty tomato based sauce, or Chinese,
etc.

Wendy

Old 13-04-2011, 03:12 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Storrmmee wrote:
what is this cholesterol lowering margarine you all are speaking
of... don't have that issue but am very curious

Here it is Benecol.