Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

Default Butter Beans: What do they look like?

Okay folks,

We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.

Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
or khaki colored.

I have never seen butter beans like that...

For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
of them?

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:50:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
Dabney?

> Okay folks,
>
> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>
> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
> or khaki colored.
>
> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>
> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
> of them?

Haven't had them for years, but I distinctly remember them being tan, and
about the size or a bit larger than a standard lima bean.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Christine Dabney

On 18 Nov 2005 07:56:43 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> wrote:

>On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:50:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it Christine
>Dabney?

ans like that...

>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
>> of them?

>Haven't had them for years, but I distinctly remember them being tan, and
>about the size or a bit larger than a standard lima bean.

Heretic!!!!

LOL

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:50:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
> Christine Dabney?
>
>> Okay folks,
>>
>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>
>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>> or khaki colored.
>>
>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>
>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
>> description of them?

> Haven't had them for years, but I distinctly remember them being tan,
> and about the size or a bit larger than a standard lima bean.

Yep, they are tan or yellow and larger than a regular lima. That's my
rememberance of them. Look in the canned bean aisle. My brother Scott
insisted we have these with pork chops when we were growing up.

Me, I love lima beans (the frozen Fordhook ones); canned butter beans are
large and mushy.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

jmcquown wrote:

> Wayne Boatwright wrote:
>> On Thu 17 Nov 2005 11:50:11p, Thus Spake Zarathustra, or was it
>> Christine Dabney?
>>
>>> Okay folks,
>>>
>>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>>
>>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>>> or khaki colored.
>>>
>>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>>
>>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
>>> description of them?

>> Haven't had them for years, but I distinctly remember them being tan,
>> and about the size or a bit larger than a standard lima bean.

> Yep, they are tan or yellow and larger than a regular lima. That's my
> rememberance of them. Look in the canned bean aisle. My brother Scott
> insisted we have these with pork chops when we were growing up.
>
> Me, I love lima beans (the frozen Fordhook ones); canned butter beans

are
> large and mushy.
>
> Jill

Lima beans were the one food I just couldn't eat. My throat would just
clam up. It was something about the chewyness or a slime factor or bland
factor.

It's been forever since I tried them but would probably have better luck
eating them today.

Andy
One town over from Lima, PA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Andy

Dee Randall wrote:

> the only connection I get personally, physically, is that I
> get a headache after eating either butter or fava beans (and lima

beans).
> Dee Dee

Sorry to hear that but thanks for the excuse!

--
Andy
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Christine Dabney wrote:
> Okay folks,
>
> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>
> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
> or khaki colored.
>
> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>
> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
> of them?

Yoose all have extremely limited cerebral retention.

For yoose six digited spawn of incest, within less than a couple three
months, once again....

lima bean [LY-muh]
This New World bean was named for Lima, Peru, where it was found as
early as 1500. There are two distinct varieties of lima - the
Fordhook and the baby lima (and Fordhooks are not adult baby limas).
Both are pale green, plump-bodied and have a slight kidney-shape curve.
The Fordhook is larger and plumper than the baby lima. It also has a
fuller flavor than its smaller relative. Fresh limas are available from
June to September. They're usually sold in their pods, which should be
plump, firm and dark green. The pods can be refrigerated in a plastic
bag for up to a week. They should be shelled just before using. Frozen
lima beans are available year-round and are labeled according to
variety (Fordhook or baby). Canned and dried limas are usually labeled
"jumbo," "large" or "small," a designation that relates to size and not
variety. _In the South, dried limas are frequently referred to as
butter beans._ When mottled with purple they're called calico or
speckled butter beans . A traditional way to serve limas is with corn
in SUCCOTASH. They're also used alone as a side dish, in soups and
sometimes in salads. Lima beans contain a good amount of protein,
phosphorus, potassium and iron. The lima is also called the Madagascar
bean .

© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
---

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
.. .
> Dee Randall wrote:
>
>> the only connection I get personally, physically, is that I
>> get a headache after eating either butter or fava beans (and lima

> beans).
>> Dee Dee

> Sorry to hear that but thanks for the excuse!
>
> --
> Andy

Don't forget, that excuse works well for many things.
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ophelia

"Dee Randall" > wrote in message

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> .. .
>> Dee Randall wrote:
>>
>>> the only connection I get personally, physically, is that I
>>> get a headache after eating either butter or fava beans (and lima

>> beans).
>>> Dee Dee

>> Sorry to hear that but thanks for the excuse!
>>
>> --
>> Andy

> Don't forget, that excuse works well for many things.

LOL

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> Okay folks,
>
> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>
> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
> or khaki colored.
>
> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>
> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
> of them?
>
> Christine

Canned butterbeans are tan. I always thought that lima beans were the fresh
lima bean and therefore green. I thought the butterbeans were the dried
lima, cooked, and therefore tan. They aren't fava beans, the shape isn't
right.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Ranee Mueller

In article >, Andy <q>
wrote:

> Lima beans were the one food I just couldn't eat. My throat would just
> clam up. It was something about the chewyness or a slime factor or bland
> factor.
>
> It's been forever since I tried them but would probably have better luck
> eating them today.

I don't like the frozen ones, and never had them fresh, but cooked
from dry they are quite nice. I make a chicken and lima bean stew that
we all like.

Regards,
Ranee

Remove do not & spam to e-mail me.

http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Default User

Butterbean? Looks like this:

http://www.nndb.com/people/840/000054678/

Brian

won't shut up.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Dee Randall

"Default User" > wrote in message

> Butterbean? Looks like this:
>

> http://www.nndb.com/people/840/000054678/

Yep, I saw that butterbean in the movie. Thanks for reminding me that I
watched it -- Yuk!
Dee Dee

Posted to rec.food.cooking
audet

"Janet Bostwick" > wrote in message

> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> Okay folks,
>>
>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>
>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>> or khaki colored.
>>
>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>
>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
>> of them?
>>
>> Christine

> Canned butterbeans are tan. I always thought that lima beans were the
> fresh lima bean and therefore green. I thought the butterbeans were the
> dried lima, cooked, and therefore tan. They aren't fava beans, the shape
> isn't right.
> Janet

In New York State, where I was born and lived as a child, butter beans were
tan and always either dried or canned. In Virginia, where I have lived for
most of my life, butterbeans (always written here as one word) are small and
green; they are the same things that in most of the US are called baby
limas. They are best fresh, excellent frozen (though they have to be cooked
longer than the package directions say), and barely acceptable canned. I am
told that they reason they are called butterbeans is that they must always
be cooked with a generous amount of butter as well as with salt and pepper
and a tiny dash of sugar. I love them!

Ron
Fredericksburg, VA

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Jani wrote:

> I like to take frozen limas and saute them in some butter until they get
> slightly crunchy...

If you at them right out of the freezer, wouldn't they be crunchy? :-)

Bob

Posted to rec.food.cooking
S'mee

One time on Usenet, "Bob Terwilliger" > said:
> Jani wrote:
>
> > I like to take frozen limas and saute them in some butter until they get
> > slightly crunchy...

> If you at them right out of the freezer, wouldn't they be crunchy? :-)

Damn smartasses... ;-)

--
Jani in WA (S'mee)
~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

audet wrote:

> In New York State, where I was born and lived as a child, butter beans were
> tan and always either dried or canned. In Virginia, where I have lived for

Butter beans and lima beans are exactly the same thing... but only in
the south are they refered to as butter beans. In NY State they are
lima beans. When my grandparents retired from the delicatessen
business they moved to the Borsht Belt, bought a 100 acre farm and
built a bungalo colony on a small portion but on the vast majority of
those acres they farmed lima beans. My cousin and I would play in the
huge barn amongst the thousands of burlap sacks of dried limas, mostly
we had slingshot wars, beans were excellent ammo. But one day (as boys
are apt to do) we decided to stuff lima beans up our noses... hey,
whoever could stuff more was more manly... needless to say I ended up
at the only country doctor for miles where I was laid out and held down
by two zoftig women on an old fashioned wooden ironing board to have
those beans tweezed out from my sinuses with long scary forceps...
happened well over 60 years ago but I'll never forget... seems that
from since birth I was always being held down by zoftig women so my
face was scrunched in their cleavage... no wonder I have major issues
with bosom fetishes. I guess there could be worse psychoses.

Sheldon Elsie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Charles Gifford

"Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
> On 18 Nov 2005 07:56:43 +0100, Wayne Boatwright
> > wrote:
> >
> >Haven't had them for years, but I distinctly remember them being tan, and
> >about the size or a bit larger than a standard lima bean.

> Heretic!!!!
>
> LOL
>
> Christine

I eat them a lot. I like them. They are generally larger than the "regular"
lima bean and buff colored. I had always know them as a "type" of lima bean.

Charlie

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Janet Bostwick wrote:
> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>> Okay folks,
>>
>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>
>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>> or khaki colored.
>>
>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>
>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
>> description
>> of them?
>>
>> Christine

> Canned butterbeans are tan. I always thought that lima beans were
> the fresh lima bean and therefore green. I thought the butterbeans
> were the dried lima, cooked, and therefore tan. They aren't fava
> beans, the shape isn't right.
> Janet

I grew lima beans (oddly enough) as a child in Virginia. They were green
until I let them dry out, then they were whiteish. Butterbeans are larger
and not the same thing at all and yes, the canned ones are big and tan or
buttery looking.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Janet Bostwick

"jmcquown" > wrote in message
> Janet Bostwick wrote:
>> "Christine Dabney" > wrote in message
>>> Okay folks,
>>>
>>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>>
>>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>>> or khaki colored.
>>>
>>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>>
>>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
>>> description
>>> of them?
>>>
>>> Christine

>> Canned butterbeans are tan. I always thought that lima beans were
>> the fresh lima bean and therefore green. I thought the butterbeans
>> were the dried lima, cooked, and therefore tan. They aren't fava
>> beans, the shape isn't right.
>> Janet

> I grew lima beans (oddly enough) as a child in Virginia. They were green
> until I let them dry out, then they were whiteish. Butterbeans are larger
> and not the same thing at all and yes, the canned ones are big and tan or
> buttery looking.
>
> Jill

Here is the Burpee seed page for limas. The green lima beans come in
several sizes. There is also an entry for butter limas that according to
the picture have pale tan (in this case speckled) seeds. Who knew?
http://tinyurl.com/cl3h4
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Christine Dabney wrote:

> Okay folks,
>
> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>
> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
> or khaki colored.
>
> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>
> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your description
> of them?
>
> Christine

'Round here, a butter bean is a big, plump, cream-colored, kinda
half-moon-shaped (like the lima) bean about the size of an average thumb
nail on a man

The lima bean is a medium sized (about the size of the index finger nail),
grass-green, plump bean. The sizes vary because all the beans (two, three,
or four) in the pod don't mature at the same time. If picked very young,
they can be as tiny as the tip of the little finger (much like the
difference in size in "young, green peas" and regular green peas).

The Fordhook lima is a large, plump, green, tougher-skin-than-a-lima, bean
about the size of the butter bean above.

Then there is a little (smaller than the lima) and more round than half
moon thing that is light green and some are so light green as to look
white and some can be a combination of light green and lighter green. We
call this a butter pea (not a butter bean).

There is also a brown butter bean, called a speckled butter bean, that is
a tad bigger than a regular lima and is "speckled"

The big, cream-colored butter beans aren't seen very often in stores
around here. They
come canned, but they are not good, because they are hard (or this has
been the case with the only few brands I have ever found that offered
them, which haven't been very many; Bush's comes to mind.). They come
dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing (the
part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the lima bean)
separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft, they just
thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it is empty. So,
they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
mighty good on a cold winter's day.

I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm

We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Christine Dabney wrote:
>
>> Okay folks,
>>
>> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
>> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
>> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
>> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
>>
>> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
>> or khaki colored.
>>
>> I have never seen butter beans like that...
>>
>> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
>> description of them?
>>
>> Christine
>>

> 'Round here, a butter bean is a big, plump, cream-colored, kinda
> half-moon-shaped (like the lima) bean about the size of an average
> thumb nail on a man
>
> The lima bean is a medium sized (about the size of the index finger
> nail), grass-green, plump bean. The sizes vary because all the beans
> (two, three, or four) in the pod don't mature at the same time. If
> picked very young, they can be as tiny as the tip of the little
> finger (much like the difference in size in "young, green peas" and
> regular green peas).
>
> The Fordhook lima is a large, plump, green, tougher-skin-than-a-lima,
> bean about the size of the butter bean above.
>
> Then there is a little (smaller than the lima) and more round than
> half moon thing that is light green and some are so light green as to
> look white and some can be a combination of light green and lighter
> green. We call this a butter pea (not a butter bean).
>
> There is also a brown butter bean, called a speckled butter bean,
> that is a tad bigger than a regular lima and is "speckled"
>

> The big, cream-colored butter beans aren't seen very often in stores
> around here. They
> come canned, but they are not good, because they are hard (or this has
> been the case with the only few brands I have ever found that offered
> them, which haven't been very many; Bush's comes to mind.). They come
> dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing
> (the part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the
> lima bean) separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft,
> they just thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it
> is empty. So, they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
> course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
> dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
> mighty good on a cold winter's day.
>
> I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm
>
> We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.
>
> Elaine, too

I've never read a better description of butter beans! Thanks, Elaine! Yep,
Bush's makes canned large butter beens. I've never seen them frozen,
either. They are definitely bigger than even a Fordhook lima bean and are
tan/yellow.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

jmcquown wrote:
> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> > On Thu, 17 Nov 2005, Christine Dabney wrote:
> >
> >> Okay folks,
> >>
> >> We were chatting on the chat channel, and we started talking bout
> >> butter beans. I grew up in VA, and I had them all the time. To me,
> >> they are smaller than a lima, and a pale green. And they stay that
> >> way when they are cooked. Boli agrees with this description of them.
> >>
> >> Others in the discussion say they are much larger, and tan. Or buff
> >> or khaki colored.
> >>
> >> I have never seen butter beans like that...
> >>
> >> For those of you who know about butter beans, what is your
> >> description of them?
> >>
> >> Christine
> >>

> > 'Round here, a butter bean is a big, plump, cream-colored, kinda
> > half-moon-shaped (like the lima) bean about the size of an average
> > thumb nail on a man
> >
> > The lima bean is a medium sized (about the size of the index finger
> > nail), grass-green, plump bean. The sizes vary because all the beans
> > (two, three, or four) in the pod don't mature at the same time. If
> > picked very young, they can be as tiny as the tip of the little
> > finger (much like the difference in size in "young, green peas" and
> > regular green peas).
> >
> > The Fordhook lima is a large, plump, green, tougher-skin-than-a-lima,
> > bean about the size of the butter bean above.
> >
> > Then there is a little (smaller than the lima) and more round than
> > half moon thing that is light green and some are so light green as to
> > look white and some can be a combination of light green and lighter
> > green. We call this a butter pea (not a butter bean).
> >
> > There is also a brown butter bean, called a speckled butter bean,
> > that is a tad bigger than a regular lima and is "speckled"
> >

> > The big, cream-colored butter beans aren't seen very often in stores
> > around here. They
> > come canned, but they are not good, because they are hard (or this has
> > been the case with the only few brands I have ever found that offered
> > them, which haven't been very many; Bush's comes to mind.). They come
> > dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing
> > (the part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the
> > lima bean) separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft,
> > they just thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it
> > is empty. So, they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
> > course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
> > dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
> > mighty good on a cold winter's day.
> >
> > I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm
> >
> > We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> I've never read a better description of butter beans! Thanks, Elaine! Yep,
> Bush's makes canned large butter beens. I've never seen them frozen,
> either. They are definitely bigger than even a Fordhook lima bean and are
> tan/yellow.

Couldn't have bean a more inaccurate description... once again for the
IQ impaired, butter bean (hillybilly vernacular) is exactly precisely
synonymous with lima bean. All beans are graded so naturally they can
be found in various sizes, but size has nothing to do with anything,
they're the same bean. With limas there are either babys or fordhooks;
different type of lima. Either type can be mottled; hybridized.

Frozen limas/butter beans are readily available in most
stupidmarkets... and many brands, from generic, to store brands, to
name brands, to Birdseye.

I recenty tried Bush's canned butter beans (bought 2 cans last week -
on sale at half price - must be a new product promotional), just
awful... but then again I don't care for any Bush's products... their
beans are way over cooked and much too watery.... there are very few
butter beans in those cans, it's mostly water, the beans are mushy and
most are broken with their skins floating about like so many toenail
clippings, and did I mention *salty*... Bush's products are also
typically over priced.

http://www.birdseyefoods.com/birdsey...yLimaBeans14oz

http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html#lima

lima bean = butter bean = Madagascar bean = wax bean Pronunciation:
LIE-muh Notes: With their buttery flavor, lima beans are great in
soups or stews, or on their own as a side dish. The most popular
varieties are the small baby lima bean = sieva bean and the larger
Fordhooks. You can get limas fresh in their pods in the summer, but
many people prefer to use dried lima beans. Shelled frozen limas are a
good substitute for fresh, but canned limas aren't nearly as good. The
biggest downside is that lima beans are harder to digest than other
beans. Substitutes: fresh lima beans OR fava beans (more flavorful)
OR soybeans
---

Sheldon Legume

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Scott Robins

I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on the internet. But...

It looks like butter beans and lima beans are 2 distinct varieties, albeit
very similar. Most of the web sites I found when I googled "phaseolus
lunatus" didn't make a distinction, but
http://www.botanyworld.com/phaseolus.html is one link that does.

It wouldn't surprise me if some unscrupulous farmers passed off plain old
lima beans as butter beans (or vice versa) to unsuspecting canners :-)

I grew some lima beans in my garden this summer, they were delicious raw
(tasted very much like peas). They were so much better than the frozen
ones when cooked I couldn't believe it.

I also learned in my googling that wild lima beans (well, wild "phaseolus
lunatus" and possibly other variants) can be poisonous until cooked.

ScottR
--
Scott Robins
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> Scott Robins wrote:
>
>>I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on the internet.
>>
>>It wouldn't surprise me if some unscrupulous farmers passed off plain old
>>lima beans as butter beans (or vice versa) to unsuspecting canners :-)

> Obviously you're not a Botanist, you're an Idiot.

And I bet the bastids passed some off as scallops, too. The bastids...

Pastorio

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob (this one)

Sheldon wrote:
> jmcquown wrote:

>>>'Round here, a butter bean is a big, plump, cream-colored, kinda
>>>half-moon-shaped (like the lima) bean about the size of an average
>>>thumb nail on a man
>>>
>>>The lima bean is a medium sized (about the size of the index finger
>>>nail), grass-green, plump bean. The sizes vary because all the beans
>>>(two, three, or four) in the pod don't mature at the same time. If
>>>picked very young, they can be as tiny as the tip of the little
>>>finger (much like the difference in size in "young, green peas" and
>>>regular green peas).
>>>
>>>The Fordhook lima is a large, plump, green, tougher-skin-than-a-lima,
>>>bean about the size of the butter bean above.
>>>
>>>Then there is a little (smaller than the lima) and more round than
>>>half moon thing that is light green and some are so light green as to
>>>look white and some can be a combination of light green and lighter
>>>green. We call this a butter pea (not a butter bean).
>>>
>>>There is also a brown butter bean, called a speckled butter bean,
>>>that is a tad bigger than a regular lima and is "speckled"
>>>

>>>The big, cream-colored butter beans aren't seen very often in stores
>>>around here. They
>>>come canned, but they are not good, because they are hard (or this has
>>>been the case with the only few brands I have ever found that offered
>>>them, which haven't been very many; Bush's comes to mind.). They come
>>>dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing
>>>(the part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the
>>>lima bean) separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft,
>>>they just thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it
>>>is empty. So, they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
>>>course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
>>>dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
>>>mighty good on a cold winter's day.
>>>
>>>I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm
>>>
>>>We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.
>>>
>>>Elaine, too

>>I've never read a better description of butter beans! Thanks, Elaine! Yep,
>>Bush's makes canned large butter beens. I've never seen them frozen,
>>either. They are definitely bigger than even a Fordhook lima bean and are
>>tan/yellow.

> Couldn't have bean a more inaccurate description... once again for the
> IQ impaired, butter bean (hillybilly vernacular) is exactly precisely
> synonymous with lima bean.

Do try just once not to be the moron.

You quote books and these people tell you their *actual experience* and
still you want to argue your theoretical sources.

In the American south, like where I and some of these other folks live,
butter beans are a specific bean that looks like a lima but has
different characteristics. They're bigger and they're yellow or
yellow-beige and they eat differently.

All this blather below is still just blather from some web sites, not
personal experience. Rephrase other people's words and try to pass them
off as your own. What's new...?

> All beans are graded so naturally they can
> be found in various sizes, but size has nothing to do with anything,
> they're the same bean. With limas there are either babys or fordhooks;
> different type of lima. Either type can be mottled; hybridized.

.... and when they're hybridized, they have different characteristics and
different names. Like "Baby" limas and "Fordhook" limas. And butter
beans... And Christmas Limas and Chestnut limas... ooops, same thing -
but not either Baby or Fordhook.

> Frozen limas/butter beans are readily available in most
> stupidmarkets... and many brands, from generic, to store brands, to
> name brands, to Birdseye.
>
> I recenty tried Bush's canned butter beans (bought 2 cans last week -

And I bet they called them butter beans just to confuse their customers.
Because, as we all know from your brilliant citations, there's no such
thing as a butter bean. Oh, wait. There's more than one bean called that.

> http://www.birdseyefoods.com/birdsey...yLimaBeans14oz

<LOL> This page is recipes for baby limas. Wonderful. Sure proves the
point. Or something

> http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html#lima
>
> lima bean = butter bean = Madagascar bean = wax bean

<LOL> Do read the whole site when showing your idiocy...
Index page: <http://www.foodsubs.com/FGLegumes.html>
Look at the other bean pages for a fuller picture.

"Christmas lima bean = chestnut lima bean Notes: These taste a bit like
chestnuts when cooked." Not green at all. Specific name different than
"Baby" or Fordhook."

"fava bean = broad bean = *butter bean* = Windsor bean = horse bean =
English bean = fool = foul = ful = feve = faba = haba = habas" Sometimes
called butter beans. Emphasis *added*

"wax bean See lima bean."

"wax bean Notes: These are similar to green beans except for the
color, which can be yellow or purple. Don't confuse these with lima
beans, which are sometimes called wax beans." Picture of a long wax
bean, nothing like a lima.

"Italian flat bean = Romano bean = runner bean Notes: These green or
yellow beans are like ordinary green beans, but they're flatter."

"scarlet runner bean = runner bean"

The same beans have different names in different countries and cultures.
And different beans have the same names sometimes, even though they're
different from each other. All these quotes come from that same site,
different pages.

> Pronunciation:
> LIE-muh Notes: With their buttery flavor, lima beans are great in
> soups or stews, or on their own as a side dish. The most popular
> varieties are the small baby lima bean = sieva bean and the larger
> Fordhooks. You can get limas fresh in their pods in the summer, but
> many people prefer to use dried lima beans. Shelled frozen limas are a
> good substitute for fresh, but canned limas aren't nearly as good. The
> biggest downside is that lima beans are harder to digest than other
> beans. Substitutes: fresh lima beans OR fava beans (more flavorful)
> OR soybeans
> ---
>
> Sheldon Legume

Leave the wit to Jack Schidt - you don't have it. It rhymes and is true.

Pastorio
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, jmcquown wrote:

> [...]

> > dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing
> > (the part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the
> > lima bean) separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft,
> > they just thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it
> > is empty. So, they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
> > course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
> > dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
> > mighty good on a cold winter's day.
> >
> > I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm
> >
> > We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.
> >
> > Elaine, too

> I've never read a better description of butter beans! Thanks, Elaine! Yep,
> Bush's makes canned large butter beens. I've never seen them frozen,
> either. They are definitely bigger than even a Fordhook lima bean and are

Thanks, Jill.

After I read this thread, I was trying to remember how my
grandmother "put them up" for the winter. I don't remember her ever doing
anything with butter beans. we only had them through the growing season,
like cabbage (she didn't make kraut) or melons. We had the others year
round, though. So, maybe there just isn't a good way to keep them.

We grew a lot of limas. My grandfather planted them with the "sweet corn"
and they grew around the stalks near the ground. Talk about your
Succotash! I always loved (and still do) limas. But that crawling around
on the ground under the corn to pick them gave me the creeps. It was
always cool and shaded so the snakes loved it, as did other creeping,
crawling things. booowaaah. Still makes me
shiver to think of it. Luckily, the dogs liked to go with us and they
would blaze a path. We'd pick for hours, have tons of limas, shell for
hours, and end up with a cup and a half of lima beans! <g> They were labor
intensive.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 19 Nov 2005, Sheldon wrote:

> jmcquown wrote:

> > > 'Round here, a butter bean is a big, plump, cream-colored, kinda
> > > half-moon-shaped (like the lima) bean about the size of an average
> > > thumb nail on a man
> > >
> > > The lima bean is a medium sized (about the size of the index finger
> > > nail), grass-green, plump bean. The sizes vary because all the beans
> > > (two, three, or four) in the pod don't mature at the same time. If
> > > picked very young, they can be as tiny as the tip of the little
> > > finger (much like the difference in size in "young, green peas" and
> > > regular green peas).
> > >
> > > The Fordhook lima is a large, plump, green, tougher-skin-than-a-lima,
> > > bean about the size of the butter bean above.
> > >
> > > Then there is a little (smaller than the lima) and more round than
> > > half moon thing that is light green and some are so light green as to
> > > look white and some can be a combination of light green and lighter
> > > green. We call this a butter pea (not a butter bean).
> > >
> > > There is also a brown butter bean, called a speckled butter bean,
> > > that is a tad bigger than a regular lima and is "speckled"
> > >

> > > The big, cream-colored butter beans aren't seen very often in stores
> > > around here. They
> > > come canned, but they are not good, because they are hard (or this has
> > > been the case with the only few brands I have ever found that offered
> > > them, which haven't been very many; Bush's comes to mind.). They come
> > > dried, but they don't reconstitute well and when cooked, the casing
> > > (the part that holds the soft insides (just like the insides of the
> > > lima bean) separates and the insides come out. Because they are soft,
> > > they just thicken the cooking water. The casing stays intact, but it
> > > is empty. So, they don't make a side dish like limas do. Of
> > > course, cooked with a little ham and poured over a bowl of cornbread
> > > dotted with raw chopped red onions or spring onions, this "soup" is
> > > mighty good on a cold winter's day.
> > >
> > > I have never seen them frozen. hmmmm
> > >
> > > We had them when I was a kid, but we grew them in the garden.
> > >
> > > Elaine, too

> > I've never read a better description of butter beans! Thanks, Elaine! Yep,
> > Bush's makes canned large butter beens. I've never seen them frozen,
> > either. They are definitely bigger than even a Fordhook lima bean and are
> > tan/yellow.

> Couldn't have bean a more inaccurate description... once again for the
> IQ impaired, butter bean (hillybilly vernacular) is exactly precisely
> synonymous with lima bean. All beans are graded so naturally they can
> be found in various sizes, but size has nothing to do with anything,
> they're the same bean. With limas there are either babys or fordhooks;
> different type of lima. Either type can be mottled; hybridized.

Yes, Sheldon, I understand that, for the last 10 years, every time there
is a topic you wish to address, you run to the internet, Google, and copy
and paste what ever it says, and post it to the group. That's fine and
many times you impart some nice information - especially when you are in
your Dr. Jekyll persona. When you are in your Mr. Hyde persona, your
posts disintegrate considerably - usually to curse words and name calling.
We know you are doing the best you can with what you have to work with.
And, yes, you're the family pet - kinda like Cujo - and we love you.
Although, some days, I wish you could actually catch one of those cars you
chase.

Whereas, a "butter bean" may well be in the Lima family and may be a
variation, a "butter bean" is distinct from the commonly accepted green
lima bean, just as a Fordhook is different from the commonly accepted
green lima. The Fordhook is not just a lima bean that is left on the vine
to grow bigger. The butter bean is not just a little green lima bean that
has matured.

To say that a butter bean is "exactly precisely synonymous" with a lima
bean is to say that you have never eaten one. It is to say that Granny
Smith apples are "exactly precisely synonymous" with Red Delicious apples
because both are apples, or Ribeye steak is "exactly precisely synonymous"
with round steak because both are steak, or any of the other millions of
things that share a common name or category. Even a bell pepper, in its
different stages of maturity, is not "exactly precisely synonymous" with
its other stages.

The beans and peas I outlined in my post are all distinctly different in
texture and in taste and each comes from a seed that is different in size,
shape, and coloring. Having picked, shelled, and eaten them cooked fresh
from the garden, I can say that they are very different, whether they are
in the same botanical family or not. They are not stages of the little
green-colored bean we commonly know as a lima. One does not plant the seed
of the little green lima bean and get speckled butter beans as a
aberration. I've shelled too many of both.

All one need do is buy a can of beans labeled "lima" and a can of beans
labeled "butter beans" and pour them out into a bowl and look at them.
They are not "exactly precisely synonymous", IQ and hillbilly vernacular
notwithstanding. You said you bought two cans of butter beans and they
were awful. If you bought two cans of butter beans and opened the cans,
then you would have seen that they don't look at all like a can of beans
labeled "lima" (they don't taste the same, either). Is this how you drew
the conclusion that butter beans and lima beans are "exactly precisely
synonymous"? You read that "exactly precisely synonymous" part on the
internet. Then you bought two cans of butter beans and looked at them and
tasted of them, determined that they were awful. Did they look like little
green lima beans? Did they taste like little green lima beans? Had you
made the comparison, your answers would be "no". So you are saying that
you decided that your
eyes and your taste buds lied to you and that, because the internet said,
"exactly precisely synonymous", that must be the truth? Did you buy
Fordhooks, speckled butter beans, and butter peas, too, (and wax beans,
that you referenced) and decide that
what you see and taste is a lie, but what you read is the truth? Empirical
evidence should not be so lightly dismissed. It makes us too much like
the herd animals. Must have been your Mr. Hyde day. Logic has eluded you.

Butter beans (save Bush's efforts and perhaps a few other canners) have
gone the way of Creasy greens, Polk Salad, and cultured butter - probably
for the very reasons outlined in this thread, including the lack of an
sufficient way to preserve them. The lack of cultured butter is a mystery
to me, save it being an acquired taste.

If this reaches you on your Dr. Jekyll day, good for me. If it reaches you
on your Mr. Hyde day... sic, cujo, sic. I know your dealing the best way
you can.

Elaine, too

> Frozen limas/butter beans are readily available in most
> stupidmarkets... and many brands, from generic, to store brands, to
> name brands, to Birdseye.
>
> I recenty tried Bush's canned butter beans (bought 2 cans last week -
> on sale at half price - must be a new product promotional), just
> awful... but then again I don't care for any Bush's products... their
> beans are way over cooked and much too watery.... there are very few
> butter beans in those cans, it's mostly water, the beans are mushy and
> most are broken with their skins floating about like so many toenail
> clippings, and did I mention *salty*... Bush's products are also
> typically over priced.
>
> http://www.birdseyefoods.com/birdsey...yLimaBeans14oz
>
> http://www.foodsubs.com/Beans.html#lima
>
> lima bean = butter bean = Madagascar bean = wax bean Pronunciation:
> LIE-muh Notes: With their buttery flavor, lima beans are great in
> soups or stews, or on their own as a side dish. The most popular
> varieties are the small baby lima bean = sieva bean and the larger
> Fordhooks. You can get limas fresh in their pods in the summer, but
> many people prefer to use dried lima beans. Shelled frozen limas are a
> good substitute for fresh, but canned limas aren't nearly as good. The
> biggest downside is that lima beans are harder to digest than other
> beans. Substitutes: fresh lima beans OR fava beans (more flavorful)
> OR soybeans
> ---
>
> Sheldon Legume

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> Yes, Sheldon, I understand that, for the last 10 years, every time there
> is a topic you wish to address, you run to the internet, Google, and copy
> and paste what ever it says, and post it to the group.

You're lying already and it's only the very begining of your fercocktah
diatribe... there was no Google ten years ago... LIAR!

Educated folks cite varifiable references to back up their claims, have
you never read a professional journal... Elaine, you are obviously
uneducated.

<snipped mass verbiage>

You're incorrect in each and every instance.

Elaine, the fact that you need so much verbiage to say nothing, and
certainly nothing you can back up other than with your own hot air
proves you're truly a mental midget as well as having severe
psychiatric issues.

The only good reason for the the use of the expression "butter bean" is
to distinguish the six fingered southern trash from normal folks.

http://www.americanbean.org/BeanVarieties/Home.htm

Large Lima
Flat-shaped, white-colored beans
Smooth, creamy, sweet flavor
Also known as Butter Beans
Popular as a sidedish or added to soups and casseroles
---

Sheldon AKA penmart

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Wayne Boatwright

Very well expressed, Elaine.

--
Wayne Boatwright *¿*

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Scott Robins wrote:

> I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on the internet. But...
>
> It looks like butter beans and lima beans are 2 distinct varieties, albeit
> very similar. Most of the web sites I found when I googled "phaseolus
> lunatus" didn't make a distinction, but
> http://www.botanyworld.com/phaseolus.html is one link that does.
>
> It wouldn't surprise me if some unscrupulous farmers passed off plain old
> lima beans as butter beans (or vice versa) to unsuspecting canners :-)
>
> I grew some lima beans in my garden this summer, they were delicious raw
> (tasted very much like peas). They were so much better than the frozen
> ones when cooked I couldn't believe it.
>
> I also learned in my googling that wild lima beans (well, wild "phaseolus
> lunatus" and possibly other variants) can be poisonous until cooked.
>
> ScottR
> --
> Scott Robins

Thanks, Scott. That's interesting info. I've always wondered how people
figured out what they could eat and what they couldn't. I saw a facinating
documentary on mushrooms. The guy went out into the woods and pointed out
the "good" ones and the "bad" ones and told why. But somebody had to eat
them to find out which was which. geez. I wouldn't have wanted to have
been in that lottery!

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> We grew a lot of limas. My grandfather planted them with the "sweet corn"
> and they grew around the stalks near the ground. Talk about your
> Succotash! I always loved (and still do) limas. But that crawling around
> on the ground under the corn to pick them gave me the creeps. It was
> always cool and shaded so the snakes loved it, as did other creeping,
> crawling things. booowaaah. Still makes me
> shiver to think of it.

An absolute lie... lima beans wouldn't grow well enough to produce in
the shade of corn.

Got any more bullshit stories?

Lima beans are not easy to grow even under the best of conditions,
which is why they typically cost more than other bean varieties. Lima
beans require an unusually long growing season, and need full sun, they
will not produce in shade. There are a number of lima bean cultivars,
any of which can and are refered to as butter beans (in the US south),
but they are all lima beans regardless, whether you wanna call em
"butter beans" or "hillybilly fart makers".

Merriam Webster

butter bean
noun
1 : LIMA BEAN: as a chiefly Southern & Midland : a large dried lima
bean
---

http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C716-w.htm

The only creepy crawly thing here is you, Elaine.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Sheldon

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Very well expressed, Elaine.

Lookin' to get in that hillybilly slut's pants, eh... you're as
ignorant.

Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Spitzmaus

Elaine Parrish wrote:

> Thanks, Scott. That's interesting info. I've always wondered how people
> figured out what they could eat and what they couldn't. I saw a facinating
> documentary on mushrooms. The guy went out into the woods and pointed out
> the "good" ones and the "bad" ones and told why. But somebody had to eat
> them to find out which was which. geez. I wouldn't have wanted to have
> been in that lottery!
>
> Elaine, too

Nor I, Elaine. We've got a mycologist in the family; if *he* sez a
mushroom's good, I'm there!

Back to er, um, BEANS for a moment: Have any of you all had Lady Cream Peas?
Little white, tender beans, grown, I believe, in Texas?? They're a real
treat, 'specially with the aforementioned ham and cornbread.

Spitz
--
"Home, James, and don't spare the horses!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Sheldon wrote:
> Elaine Parrish wrote:
>>
>> We grew a lot of limas. My grandfather planted them with the "sweet
>> corn" and they grew around the stalks near the ground. Talk about
>> your Succotash! I always loved (and still do) limas. But that
>> crawling around on the ground under the corn to pick them gave me
>> the creeps. It was always cool and shaded so the snakes loved it, as
>> did other creeping, crawling things. booowaaah. Still makes me
>> shiver to think of it.

> An absolute lie... lima beans wouldn't grow well enough to produce in
> the shade of corn.
>
> Got any more bullshit stories?
>
> Lima beans are not easy to grow even under the best of conditions,

Really? Is that why I, as an 8 year old girl, was able to grow lima beans
in a small patch of earth in Virginia? Damn, I must be one hell of a
horticulturist.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 19 Nov 2005, Sheldon wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> >
> > We grew a lot of limas. My grandfather planted them with the "sweet corn"
> > and they grew around the stalks near the ground. Talk about your
> > Succotash! I always loved (and still do) limas. But that crawling around
> > on the ground under the corn to pick them gave me the creeps. It was
> > always cool and shaded so the snakes loved it, as did other creeping,
> > crawling things. booowaaah. Still makes me
> > shiver to think of it.

> An absolute lie... lima beans wouldn't grow well enough to produce in
> the shade of corn.
>
> Got any more bullshit stories?

Hi, Mr. Hyde,

You are your normal Cujo testy self, I see. It's ok, Sugar, I do
understand.

Lima beans were never difficult for my grandfather to grow. He was born a
farmer and had a magic touch with plants. The lima beans did very well
beneath the corn. They put something into the soil ( I don't remember just
what and I won't Google for it) that helped the corn and the corn plants
protected the beans as they grew. The Sweet corn came in early and
produced for about half the season. Once it was all pulled, the green
foliage began to die letting in more and more sun and replenishing the
earth as the lima beans matured. Just before all of the corn had been
pulled and while the corn stalks were still green, we'd pick the first of
the limas when they were very young and still tiny.

Elaine, too

> Lima beans are not easy to grow even under the best of conditions,
> which is why they typically cost more than other bean varieties. Lima
> beans require an unusually long growing season, and need full sun, they
> will not produce in shade. There are a number of lima bean cultivars,
> any of which can and are refered to as butter beans (in the US south),
> but they are all lima beans regardless, whether you wanna call em
> "butter beans" or "hillybilly fart makers".
>
> Merriam Webster
>
> butter bean
> noun
> 1 : LIMA BEAN: as a chiefly Southern & Midland : a large dried lima
> bean
> ---
>
> http://pubs.caes.uga.edu/caespubs/pubcd/C716-w.htm
>
> The only creepy crawly thing here is you, Elaine.
>
> Sheldon

Posted to rec.food.cooking
jmcquown

Elaine Parrish wrote:
> On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, Scott Robins wrote:
>
>> I am not a botanist, nor do I play one on the internet. But...
>>
>> It looks like butter beans and lima beans are 2 distinct varieties,
>> albeit very similar. Most of the web sites I found when I googled
>> "phaseolus lunatus" didn't make a distinction, but
>> http://www.botanyworld.com/phaseolus.html is one link that does.
>>
>> It wouldn't surprise me if some unscrupulous farmers passed off
>> plain old lima beans as butter beans (or vice versa) to unsuspecting
>> canners :-)
>>
>> I grew some lima beans in my garden this summer, they were delicious
>> raw (tasted very much like peas). They were so much better than the
>> frozen ones when cooked I couldn't believe it.
>>
>> I also learned in my googling that wild lima beans (well, wild
>> "phaseolus lunatus" and possibly other variants) can be poisonous
>> until cooked.
>>
>> ScottR
>> --
>> Scott Robins
>>

> Thanks, Scott. That's interesting info. I've always wondered how
> people figured out what they could eat and what they couldn't. I saw
> a facinating documentary on mushrooms. The guy went out into the
> woods and pointed out the "good" ones and the "bad" ones and told
> why. But somebody had to eat them to find out which was which. geez.
> I wouldn't have wanted to have
> been in that lottery!
>
> Elaine, too

I can only figure out some of this. I suspect "man" learned from watching
animals and sea-birds. Why else would anyone think of eating raw oysters?!
They certainly don't LOOK good.

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On 19 Nov 2005, Sheldon wrote:

> Elaine Parrish wrote:
> >
> > Yes, Sheldon, I understand that, for the last 10 years, every time there
> > is a topic you wish to address, you run to the internet, Google, and copy
> > and paste what ever it says, and post it to the group.

> You're lying already and it's only the very begining of your fercocktah
> diatribe... there was no Google ten years ago... LIAR!

hehe. You are right. You didn't Google. You went to Archie and FTP'ed.
Then you progressed to whatever search engine was of the moment. I must
commend you on evolving. It's the only evolution you've made in ten years.

> Educated folks cite varifiable references to back up their claims, have
> you never read a professional journal... Elaine, you are obviously
> uneducated.

hahahaha. That's a good one.

This is a newsgroup, my dear Mr. Hyde. The premise is that people come
together to share experiences. We all have access to the internet search
engines and to encyclopedias. We're not writing a scholarly paper here.
We're sharing experiences and empirical research.

Have you ever written a scholarly paper, Sheldon? I'm not trying to be
bellicose, Sheldon - just curious. You seem to put such stock in research
and cites, but you don't seem to have a personal body of knowledge or any
empirical research. You quote some very good information sometimes, but
you never seem to contribute any empirical information or personal
experiences relating to this group's topic. Admittedly, I usually skip
your posts these days because the fine Dr. Jekyll posts seem to be few and
far between the Mr. Hyde rantings. I don't care for your Mr. Hyde persona,
but have, and probably will, continue to defend your right to have it. You
said once, a long time ago, that you were an honorable man. I found that
to be true in Dr. Jekyll, but I don't ever see any honor in Mr. Hyde or in
Cujo, the devil dog. Is honor only a part-time endeavor?

You say that I am uneducated because I don't quote cites. Would you
consider a person educated simply because he/she quoted cites? I would not
make that assumption. It seems that you think educated people are better
than those that are not educated. Is that true?
Is one a better person if one holds a degree? And, better still if one
holds a higher degree? Is that the true measure of a man (or woman)?

In what field do you hold a degree, Sheldon? Again, I'm not trying to be
bellicose, just curious.

What if I held a degree, would your statements that using
cites would prove education and that I am uneducated because I don't cite
every post be false, and therefore, you'd be wrong? Would you then amend
your statement to say something else, which on its face, would invalidate
your original statement? Do you have a cite that supports either of your
statements? You can't talk about lima beans without a cite, because
"Educated folks cite varifiable references to back up their claims", but
you claim that " Educated folks cite varifiable references to back up
their claims" and that I am uneducated because I don't, without any cite
at all. So, which are you, Sheldon, educated or uneducated?

> <snipped mass verbiage>

<snipped>

> Elaine, the fact that you need so much verbiage to say nothing, and
> certainly nothing you can back up other than with your own hot air
> proves you're truly a mental midget as well as having severe
> psychiatric issues.

haha. Well, at least I can write excessive verbiage without running out of
vocabulary and resorting to paragraphs of curse words, gutter language,
and junior high tatics. So I'd say that in the world of mental midgets, I
am taller than you are.

"Nothing" often lies in the eye of the beholder.
When one has nothing with which to see, one often sees nothing.

I do defer to you on the matter of psychiatric issues. I've never known
anyone with as much first-hand, personal experience from the inside out as
you.

> The only good reason for the the use of the expression "butter bean" is
> to distinguish the six fingered southern trash from normal folks.

I encountered some of those kinds of people when I lived in North Alabama.
It was extremely odd to see people with six fingers or six toes or webbed
fingers. I've seen a few oddities in my life. I think my experiences with
six fingered southern trash served me well since I met you. Gross oddities
aren't always external.

Were you born with this Jekyll/Hyde personality or do you just play
one on the internet? I'm not trying to be bellicose, really, Sheldon. Is
it something you choose? If so, why? You've been so consistent over the
years, that it seems hard to believe it is not real. That must be a
difficult way to live. You seem so angry and defensive most the time.
I'm sorry for you.

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Elaine Parrish

On Sat, 19 Nov 2005, jmcquown wrote:

<snipped>

> >> I also learned in my googling that wild lima beans (well, wild
> >> "phaseolus lunatus" and possibly other variants) can be poisonous
> >> until cooked.
> >>
> >> ScottR
> >> --
> >> Scott Robins
> >>

> > Thanks, Scott. That's interesting info. I've always wondered how
> > people figured out what they could eat and what they couldn't. I saw
> > a facinating documentary on mushrooms. The guy went out into the
> > woods and pointed out the "good" ones and the "bad" ones and told
> > why. But somebody had to eat them to find out which was which. geez.
> > I wouldn't have wanted to have
> > been in that lottery!
> >
> > Elaine, too

> I can only figure out some of this. I suspect "man" learned from watching
> animals and sea-birds. Why else would anyone think of eating raw oysters?!
> They certainly don't LOOK good.
>
> Jill

That is very sound reasoning. I've seen toadstools growing out in the
pasture and none of the grazing animals we had would ever touch them. But
they would eat things that we ate, like blackberries, crab apples, wild
cherries and persimmons (but only after they ripened, which is the smart
choice for man and beast!).

Elaine, too

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Bob Terwilliger

Spitzmaus

> Back to er, um, BEANS for a moment: Have any of you all had Lady Cream
> Peas? Little white, tender beans, grown, I believe, in Texas?? They're a
> real treat, 'specially with the aforementioned ham and cornbread.

Yes! I had them in New Orleans a few years ago. I thought they were similar
to another favorite of mine, fresh (FRESH, I say!) black-eyed peas. (In
fact, you can make Hoppin' John with them.)

But I understand that they're really exactly the same as a lima bean. :-)

Bob