Old 20-03-2011, 02:20 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Tonight's dinner

On Sun, 20 Mar 2011 10:50:21 +1000, "Ozgirl"
wrote:

"W. Baker" wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

: I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
: Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say
"blooming"
: since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
: would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
:
: Ewww.
:
:
: Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
: interpretation
: i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
: language"
:
: I don't know. I worked with a woman from England. Her husband
was
: from Australian. One of them gave me a different definition of
the
: word. Not one I could say with little children around.

: Its a very benign word. On a scale of 1 to 10, the F bomb being 10
it is
: a 1.
:
:

That's becsue in our time,, religious swearing is no big deal, as
most
people don't take it that seriously, but sex is a big deal and
preoccupation so sex swear words are much more serious.

I really don't know anyone who would view the word bloody as a religious
word. Even in the 50's when I was born no one saw a problem with men
saying it sometimes and that was a time when swear words like s*&t,
ba#$%@d etc would have got you locked up if said in public. So I doubt
anyone has thought about or even known the supposed origin of the word
bloody for a very long time.

I was told some years ago that it wasn't nice to use, but then I am an
American and it isn't widely used here. In this country if someone
said "bloody" this or that, nobody'd bat an eyelash.

Evelyn

Old 20-03-2011, 03:30 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:

: "W. Baker" wrote in message
: ...
: Ozgirl wrote:
:
:
: : I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many
: : Aussies involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming"
: : since umm ummm *ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that
: : would show an Aussie involved in it somewhere.
: :
: : Ewww.
: :
: :
[...]

: There are a lot of people here who get very upset if you say, "Oh my God!"
: Apparently that doesn't go over well.
If saying that gets them upset, but not bloody or damn, then they need
some vocabulary training.

Wendy

Old 20-03-2011, 10:45 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/03/2011 6:31 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

Well its been used in the UK and Aus, probably Ireland too a lot longer
than I have been alive. I have never heard it used in any way other than
a "soft" swear word.

Yep used to be called the great Australian adjective never ever heard it
being used in the ways Julie has but I have only lived in Australia all
my life so I may have missed something :-)

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 20-03-2011, 10:53 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/03/2011 5:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:

"Tiger Lily" wrote in message
On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
wrote in message
On 18/03/2011 7:14 AM, Julie Bove wrote:
Ozgirl wrote:

There is very little sugar in cinnamon sugar compared to cinnamon.
And I don't put much on. Lucky if 1/8 teaspoon is sugar. But we
didn't invent this. It became popular here after the introduction of
American style steakhouses.

That's weird because our steakhouses don't serve sweet potatoes at
all.
They serve French fries, steak fries and baked potatoes.

We also have Outback Steakhouse, purportedly an Austrailian style
place
with
Bloomin' Onions. This is an onion cut to look like a flower, battered
and
deep fried. Quite nasty and greasy it is.

I have heard about that place I don't think there is too many Aussies
involved with it, I haven't heard an Aussie say "blooming" since umm
ummm
*ever* :-) Now if they were Bloody onions, that would show an Aussie
involved in it somewhere.

Ewww.

Julie, read 'damned' instead of Bloody, you will get a better
interpretation

i await further clarification from "countries divided by a common
language"

kate

(Jan???)

Bloody 'ell woman!

My original comment that started all this was about replacing "Blooming"
in a menu with "bloody" as in "Blooming hell" and "Bloody hell" so a
common language separated by 2 large oceans and some funny accents :-) Aye

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia
Old 20-03-2011, 04:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

RodS wrote:
: On 19/03/2011 5:26 PM, Ozgirl wrote:
:
:
: "Tiger Lily" wrote in message
: ...
: On 3/17/2011 4:15 PM, Julie Bove wrote:
: ...
: Ozgirl wrote:
:
[...]

: (- -)
: =m=(_)=m=
: RodS T2
: Australia

Aye-ya!, Okie dokie, Yup, etc

Wendy

Old 21-03-2011, 11:58 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

On 19/03/2011 8:12 p.m., Julie Bove wrote:
"Tiger wrote in message
Ozgirl wrote:

[...]

that was very leading............. i thought my interpretation was pretty
clear

care to eludicate?

I was told it had to do with the bleeding that occurs with the taking of
virginity. Of course they could have just been messing with me.

In the Australian version of English. 'bloody' is an adjective which
used in front of every noun. e.g.bloody computer, bloody keyboard,
bloody shopping, bloody bloke down the road.

Old 26-03-2011, 06:04 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Ozgirl wrote:

[...]

I believe the origin of "bloody" is religious. It's either a
contraction of "by our lady" or reference to "christ's bloody wounds."
It's definitely not biological.

PP
Old 11-04-2011, 09:03 AM
Member