Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Celery

Just came across this haven't had a chance to do any further searching
yet but needs checking I think, nothing else on the site and no links to
anywhere else that may support or confirm this statement.

<Quote>
Celery Tricks. I love celery stuffed with hummus or pimento cheese,
cooked in stews and stuffing, or just on its own. But there is more to
this humble vegetable than I thought.

* Keep in green. In my first attempts at making Red, White, and
Green Bean Stew, the celery lost its zippy color. Tuns out that the
acidic tomatoes and long cooking damaged its chlorophyll. When color
counts, boil celery briefly in lots of water without covering the pot.
This dilutes and disperses the acids in the celery itself, letting it
cook without browning.

* Eat it fresh. Use only fresh celery, parsley, and parsnips to
avoid contact with psoralens, which Harold McGee says can "damage DNA
and cause blistering skin inflammations." Avoid any of these veggies
that have been nearly frozen, look moldy, or are not prime. I used to
keep celery for a long time and finally put any yellowing bits into my
Stoup, but no more.
<end quote>

(- -)
=m=(_)=m=
RodS T2
Australia

When to celery, when to not notbob General Cooking 40 07-05-2015 03:25 PM
Using up a whole celery... Jeßus[_3_] General Cooking 6 19-06-2014 01:09 AM
Celery Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 13 13-05-2011 05:43 AM
Shaved celery? Julie Bove[_2_] Diabetic 1 12-10-2010 12:02 AM
Celery help Victor Sack General Cooking 30 19-11-2005 08:03 PM