Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default Coconut flour?

Following a link to Amazon from Susan--thanks!--I came across a cookbook
using coconut flour that sounds very promising. This is an entirely new
product to me. Has anyone tried cooking with it?

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Janet" > wrote in message
> Following a link to Amazon from Susan--thanks!--I came across a cookbook
> using coconut flour that sounds very promising. This is an entirely new
> product to me. Has anyone tried cooking with it?

I made meatballs with it. The problem I have is that pretty much all of the
recipes call for a lot of eggs and I am allergic. I can't remember what I
subbed for the eggs. Probably ground flaxseed. Although they had very good
flavor, they were more like meat lumps. They broke apart when I tried to
fry them.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

Julie Bove wrote:
> "Janet" > wrote in message
>> Following a link to Amazon from Susan--thanks!--I came across a
>> cookbook using coconut flour that sounds very promising. This is an
>> entirely new product to me. Has anyone tried cooking with it?

> I made meatballs with it. The problem I have is that pretty much all
> of the recipes call for a lot of eggs and I am allergic. I can't
> remember what I subbed for the eggs. Probably ground flaxseed. Although
> they had very good flavor, they were more like meat lumps. They broke
> apart when I tried to fry them.

I noticed that a number of people commented that the recipe required a lot
of eggs to make up for the lack of gluten in the flour. So not good for
those with egg issues.

Posted to alt.food.diabetic

I use it in desserts a lot as a thickener for puddings etc...but if its a
lighter thing the coconut flavor can come through..

so if making banana cream pie its tasty as a crust and thickener...but if
your making almond cookies they will taste like coconut and not almond..lol

same with savory dishes..if thickening a Asian sauce thats strong will be
ok..if trying to thicken turkey juices for gravy...nasty.

I tend to use it as a bulking agent so I will mix carbalose flour with it
and hazelnut flour..but getting the right ratio can be tricky..your cookies
might be crumbly and dry or gooey etc its a lot of trial and error and even
then with a nailed down recipe it might not be good.
but when it works you can make things that are as good as regular...I made
chocolate chip cookies that you couldnt tell the difference...but they had
a ton of calories/fat to compensate for lack of real sugar and flour...but
as a Christmas treat was great.

KROM