Old 06-01-2010, 02:22 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

Default bread pudding

I haven't posted for awhile, my life is unsettled. Both my husband and I
are T2. I am more inclined to attempt to rein in my sweet tooth, he still
likes his unfettered and demanding. So I'm always on the lookout for ideas
for dessert.

I've tried Splenda's cheesecake recipie with good results, and today came up
with this:

2 cups dried bread crumbs - I had a mixture of whole grain and white crumbs
in the freezer which I made from the dry ends of loaves of bread and just
kept for "whenever"
1/4 c melted butter
2 eggs
2 cups plain unsweetened almond milk
1/2 cup Splenda
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp nutmeg
1/4 tsp salt
1 cup of add-ins consisting of some diced cranberries, some dried
blueberries, some dried cherries, and some diced walnuts. The berries were
just the amounts left over from other various projects

I put the bread crumbs in a small greased pyrex dish, added the butter and
stirred it up.

I beat the eggs, added the almond milk, the Splenda and the spices and beat
them well together, then stirred in the fruit and nuts and poured the
mixture over the bread crumbs.

Baked it for 1 hr 10 min at 325 degrees.

It's pretty good, and the sweet tooth guy liked it! I figure a half cup
serving is one carb, more or less.

Happy New Year, everyone!

--
A R Pickett aka Woodstock

"It's bad luck to be superstitious"
Paul Phillips, Colorado Rockies catcher

Read my book reviews at:
http://www.booksnbytes.com/reviews/_...ll_byauth.html

Now blogging!
http://www.journalscape.com/woodstock/

Remove lower case "e" to respond

Old 06-01-2010, 02:47 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Susan" wrote

A R Pickett wrote:
[...]

Is a serving 1/4 tsp?

Susan

I'm not sure I understand your comment, but, assuming you are challenging my
computation of the carb value - how would you compute it? I figured that
1/2 cup of the pudding would have carb value from the bread crumbs and the
fruits, and that counting it as one carb value (15g) would be a good guide.

Woodstock

Old 06-01-2010, 08:29 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

A R Pickett wrote:
[...]

This gives me the idea to try a bred pudding with the low carb Arnolds or
Pepperidge farms breads. I am, already, usuing htem in meatloaves,
stuffing,etc and they work just like regular bread in effect.

Wendy
Old 07-01-2010, 12:19 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"A R Pickett" wrote:

"Susan" wrote

A R Pickett wrote:
[...]

The major carb contribution is the bread crumbs which are probably
comparable in carb content to wheat flour, which has 24 grams of carbs
per 1/4 cup. So, 8 times that would be 200 grams of carbs. I don't know
about the almond milk off hand, but the fruit would be an additional 20
grams of carb. Assuming you get 10 servings out of this entire recipe,
this would probably be 25 grams of carb/serving. The key is that the
bread = flour.

--
"[xxx] has very definite opinions, and does not suffer fools lightly.
This, apparently, upsets the fools."
Old 07-01-2010, 01:41 AM posted to alt.food.diabetic

"Alice Faber" wrote in message
"A R Pickett" wrote:

"Susan" wrote

A R Pickett wrote:
[...]

A nice Pecan crust could take the place of the bread crumbs. I would just
make the cheesecake without the add ins...and put a few strawberries on my
slice. Sometimes I will mix strawberries with some Splenda and sit it in
the fridge for a day...then the juices come out of the berry and makes a
fine sauce for a cheesecake topping.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:55 PM posted to alt.food.diabetic

In article ,
"Jacquie" wrote:

Disregard...I had cheesecake on my mind..not bread pudding...LOL.

I now have an earworm of "I've Got Cheesecake on My Mind..." to the tune
of "You've Got Cheatin' on Your Mind..."

PP